PDA

View Full Version : Slow posts.. Is it just me?

frankc420
07-14-2007, 23:50
As more and more people signup on this forum, it seems that the post times keep going up, what I mean is, when I hit the submit button when trying to post, it just sits there... Most of the time it times out and I get a message from the server saying "ASP script has exceeded the execution time." Those aren't the exact words but you get what I'm referring to, I hope.

Here's a suggestion, hope it helps in the long run!

I'm not sure whether you guys have your own dedicated server for the Scubatoys site, or if your using shared hosting, regardless, have you though about whether or not whatever you are hosted by, will handle your site AND this forum? There seems to be alot of new users signing up and in the long run I'm sure this forum will be a huge hit. You might want to think about registering scubatoysforum.com or something along those lines and putting the forums on a separate server?

Just a suggestion :)

Cichlid
07-15-2007, 00:06
It has happened to me twice. Once it resulted in a double post. I feel shame.

Joew
07-15-2007, 02:17
I've been having the same problem. Could it be due to high traffic? I noticed it in the afternoon/evening. I'm not having any problems now since it is the middle of the night.

TommyB
07-15-2007, 06:34
Happened 2 times last night.
One actually caused the board to send the time-out message..

But what do you expect, it's running on a windoz box using IIS :)

ScubaToys Larry
07-15-2007, 07:03
We're having 3 dell serversmade up right now.. should be in in about a week or so. That will let me put the board on one dedicated, and the Scubatoys site on the other - so one doesn't slow down the other. The third server is just monitoring the other two. And they are pretty blown units... dual cores, 4 gig, etc.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So that should be about 2weeks out - see how things go till then!</DIV>

frankc420
07-15-2007, 11:20
We're having 3 dell serversmade up right now.. should be in in about a week or so. That will let me put the board on one dedicated, and the Scubatoys site on the other - so one doesn't slow down the other. The third server is just monitoring the other two. And they are pretty blown units... dual cores, 4 gig, etc.
<div></div>
<div>So that should be about 2weeks out - see how things go till then!</div>

12-15k later you have you a nice little setup! Thanks for the quick response Larry!

Bad thing about the slow speeds here, they make the store slower too...

tx.lakerat
07-15-2007, 11:27
I'm running slow but heck at least we can post!! unlike other boards right now!

Rascal1933
07-15-2007, 17:11
Slow Yes~Perfect Not yet~Will it get Better of Course!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Amen Brothers and Sisters &gt; At least we have a forum to Post on that is Actually working!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks&amp; Appreciate the new serversthat on the way Larry!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The beatings will continue until moral improves.</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-15-2007, 17:34
<DIV>Hmmmm... I'm not seeing it slow...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>At least not now... and the server and setup we have now is not a slouch - just the new ones will be totally blown... I don't know... I'll look into some things tomorrow.</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-15-2007, 18:27
We sent out a large email today... maybe that slowed things down while it was running...

Rascal1933
07-15-2007, 18:38
Hey There Larry,
<DIV>* just my.02 cents </DIV>
<DIV>Disclaimer: I am no computer expert!That being said.</DIV>
<DIV>The Slow everyone may be refering to is, the time it is apparently taking After you posta reply as well as posting something New in theforum topics.</DIV>
<DIV>The upload bar graph after you post reply,etc...is just real slow&gt;creeping along,even freezing up.It makes it seem/looks as though like your post isnot loading orIncomplete.</DIV>
<DIV>The rest of site seems to be fast and running normal.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Rascal</DIV>

frankc420
07-15-2007, 18:43
What you guys are saying is exactly what's happening on this end. The page isn't refreshing to show the reply, but it does post the reply.

Larry, was it a promotional email? Just curious because I signed up on the newsletter but have yet to receive one! :)

Rascal1933
07-15-2007, 19:01
Hi Larry,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just got your P.M. </DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>"On the same server we sent out 40,000 emails today... and that might be some of the problem."</DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Wow! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Larry,a server up-grade is definitelyin your very nearfuture at that rate.</DIV>
<DIV>Congratulationson the growth of your new scuba Community.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>ScubaToys Forumis off and Rocking baby!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Excellentwebsite.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Rascal</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-15-2007, 21:24
Yea, we shut that down now... we'll see if it gets any better.

ScubaToys Larry
07-15-2007, 21:28
Doesn't appear so... so the posts go, but it will time out - then you can go look... wonderful. We'll get it sorted out tomorrow morning... I'll be working on it!

ScubaToys Larry
07-15-2007, 21:43
Well, we think we got it worked out... see if it's better now!

ScubaToys Larry
07-15-2007, 21:50
Ok.. sorry if we knocked some people off... had to reboot...

frankc420
07-15-2007, 22:05
Well, we think we got it worked out... see if it's better now!

Sorry boss, still about the same on this end..

TommyB
07-15-2007, 22:07
That's be windows :)

switch to linux then your could just do

service httpd restart or service mysqld restart and the server would still be running and the httpd would take like 5 secs to restart :)

frankc420
07-15-2007, 22:08
That's be windows :)

switch to linux then your could just do

service httpd restart or service mysqld restart and the server would still be running and the httpd would take like 5 secs to restart :)

Actually if your running apache you could do: apachectl restart or if you didn't want to boot people off a production server, apachectl graceful

My last post took 73 seconds to refresh to the posted screen.

ScubaToys Larry
07-16-2007, 06:27
Ok... finally got it figured out... It was a problem with this bulletin software and how it sends emails... It would only slow down when you did something that had the potential to send emails - posting, pm's, etc... so for the time being, we've turned off the email options - and bingo - back up to speed.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We will move this to a new server in the next day or so - and I'm looking into the suggestion that several have made to use PHP and vBulletin - but I will have to stay with the windows based operating system. Where I have my servers hosted... they don't do unix support.. And the guys I'm working with are great. In running the ecommerce side of scubatoys for 8 years, we've hardly ever been down - once we got a bit slow due to a denial of service attack on the server - but the guys got it taken care of right away...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But with the new servers coming in - I'm giving the thought of the PHP on windows - and I know some of you guys will tell me - do unix... but you'd probably also tell me to do a Back plate and wing... and I like BC's. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>

frankc420
07-16-2007, 07:56
Ok... finally got it figured out... It was a problem with this bulletin software and how it sends emails... It would only slow down when you did something that had the potential to send emails - posting, pm's, etc... so for the time being, we've turned off the email options - and bingo - back up to speed.
<div></div>
<div>We will move this to a new server in the next day or so - and I'm looking into the suggestion that several have made to use PHP and vBulletin - but I will have to stay with the windows based operating system. Where I have my servers hosted... they don't do unix support.. And the guys I'm working with are great. In running the ecommerce side of scubatoys for 8 years, we've hardly ever been down - once we got a bit slow due to a denial of service attack on the server - but the guys got it taken care of right away...</div>
<div></div>
<div>But with the new servers coming in - I'm giving the thought of the PHP on windows - and I know some of you guys will tell me - do unix... but you'd probably also tell me to do a Back plate and wing... and I like BC's. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</div>

Larry,

It really depends on how they have their server(s) setup at your hosting provider. If they are using apache, they can easily add in php. If they are already using apache, they can add apache quite easily and that would allow you to run any php forum that you wish. Your biggest issue at this point is going to be finding a forum system that has a conversion tool for moving from this forum structure to a new one. Chances are if this forum your currently using isn't a well known one, you'll lose everything that everyone has already posted.

frankc420
07-16-2007, 07:59
After doing some research, php works with IIS as well. I'm guessing (without actually looking to see what they are running) they are running either IIS or apache, so either of the two should allow you to run php. If you want to see if your server already has php capabilities, create a file in your web directory called phpinfo.php (or anything you want, just naming it that makes it easy to remember), and put in it: &lt;? phpinfo(); ?&gt;

Then browse to it, if you get a bunch of info, php is already working and you should be able to add a forum whenever you want!

ScubaToys Larry
07-16-2007, 08:12
Thanks for the info... I checked vBulletin, and it does have an import from webwiz which is what this is on. I'll probably start getting the new version in - test - then cross over sometime later this week or early next week - limp along with this for the time being!

frankc420
07-16-2007, 08:24
Thanks for the info... I checked vBulletin, and it does have an import from webwiz which is what this is on. I'll probably start getting the new version in - test - then cross over sometime later this week or early next week - limp along with this for the time being!

Larry, I can feel the pain you have inside right now, even though you aren't expressing it to us! Moving to a new forum system can be a PITA, especially since all the work you did on this one will be null/void! I for one truely appreciate the time and effort you and your crew have put into this so far!

The good thing is, vBulletin should have majority of what you had to add manually to this one, already in place! smileys/smiley20.gif

TommyB
07-16-2007, 09:41

Larry, I can feel the pain you have inside right now, even though you aren't expressing it to us! Moving to a new forum system can be a PITA, especially since all the work you did on this one will be null/void! I for one truely appreciate the time and effort you and your crew have put into this so far!

The good thing is, vBulletin should have majority of what you had to add manually to this one, already in place! smileys/smiley20.gif

Let me know if you need help with IIS and PHP.
I have approx 75 servers running a combo of LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql PHP) or Windows Enterprise, IIS with PHP and Mysql.

PHP with IIS is a 2 min install, same with mysql

www.clan-solutions.com
all my game hosting servers are windows / php / IIS
and webhosting is LAMP

Even though i hate windows, I run it for the gaming control panels
http://www.proteus1.clan-solutions.com/Templates/Default/user_home.aspx
demouser / demouser

I'll be in the shop around 11:00 if you have any questions..

CompuDude
07-16-2007, 10:28
Is that why I no longer have the option in my control panel to list which threads I have subscribed to? That's a shame, because there's no other way to see which threads you have participated it. I used to leave that list open, note the change date/time of the last thread, and hit refresh. Then anything newer than the last time marked a thread I had posted in with changes. I don't think there is any way to list subscribed threads with updates now, is there? Short of combing over the entire board?

cummings66
07-16-2007, 10:32
Hey CompuDude, I can tell you which ones you've done. All of them.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hopefully when you migrate over all the current user stat's will remain intact so that we don't have to fill out profiles etc...</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-16-2007, 12:30
Is that why I no longer have the option in my control panel to list which threads I have subscribed to? That's a shame, because there's no other way to see which threads you have participated it. I used to leave that list open, note the change date/time of the last thread, and hit refresh. Then anything newer than the last time marked a thread I had posted in with changes. I don't think there is any way to list subscribed threads with updates now, is there? Short of combing over the entire board?

Ok, I changed some email configurations on the server... and with fingers crossed, I think the email component should work again... This is a test!

techgnostic
07-16-2007, 13:04
It seemed to clear itself up about 1am...perhaps I was the last one left on the board?

frankc420
07-16-2007, 14:00

Let me know if you need help with IIS and PHP.
I have approx 75 servers running a combo of LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql PHP) or Windows Enterprise, IIS with PHP and Mysql.

PHP with IIS is a 2 min install, same with mysql

www.clan-solutions.com
all my game hosting servers are windows / php / IIS
and webhosting is LAMP

Even though i hate windows, I run it for the gaming control panels
http://www.proteus1.clan-solutions.com/Templates/Default/user_home.aspx
demouser / demouser

I'll be in the shop around 11:00 if you have any questions..

75 servers? All gaming?

plot
07-16-2007, 17:03
<DIV>vBull is great software, not sure how much the liscense costs though.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The absolute BEST forum software I've used in terms of Administrator options is http://www.simplemachines.org/...absolutely blows the rest away, especially when dealing with spammers.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Free too. I don't know what type of migration options are available, but we took another large site from phpBB to it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Anyway, I prefer any of the above to the lack of options we currently have here.</DIV>

frankc420
07-16-2007, 17:07
<div>vBull is great software, not sure how much the liscense costs though.</div>
<div></div>
<div>The absolute BEST forum software I've used in terms of Administrator options is http://www.simplemachines.org/...absolutely blows the rest away, especially when dealing with spammers.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Free too. I don't know what type of migration options are available, but we took another large site from phpBB to it.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Anyway, I prefer any of the above to the lack of options we currently have here.</div>

I would have to agree as far as SMF goes, I use it for my local scuba forum, http://www.MSscuba.com/ - The migration tools are right on their front page.

Larry if you want to know what SMF looks like, just visit my site. smileys/smiley1.gif

ScubaToys Larry
07-16-2007, 17:56
<div>vBull is great software, not sure how much the liscense costs though.</div>
<div></div>
<div>The absolute BEST forum software I've used in terms of Administrator options is http://www.simplemachines.org/...absolutely blows the rest away, especially when dealing with spammers.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Free too. I don't know what type of migration options are available, but we took another large site from phpBB to it.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Anyway, I prefer any of the above to the lack of options we currently have here.</div>

I would have to agree as far as SMF goes, I use it for my local scuba forum, http://www.MSscuba.com/ - The migration tools are right on their front page.

Larry if you want to know what SMF looks like, just visit my site. smileys/smiley1.gif

I tried... your site would not load... ooopps!

frankc420
07-16-2007, 18:07
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>

I tried... your site would not load... ooopps!

Hrm, did you tilt your head to the side and cough? J/K

We've had posts today so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to go to it. Anyone else care to try it? I did move it to a new account yesterday, maybe DNS hasn't propagated completely.

TommyB
07-16-2007, 18:31
No offense, but no professional org runs SMF, or phpBB, or nuke for that matter :)

They either run IBP or VB.

SMF is just yabb renamed and reworked a bit.

&gt;&gt;75 servers? All gaming?

Not all but most.
Big difference on how many clients you can host on a gaming server vs a web hosting server even if they are the same exact machines etc.

Some are running 16 gigs memory (reason I run windows server enterprise) as Winblows server will not reconise more then 4 gigs of memory.
Webhosting I run LAMP -- see above what LAMP is.

plot
07-16-2007, 22:04
No offense, but no professional org runs SMF, or phpBB, or nuke for that matter :)

They either run IBP or VB.

SMF is just yabb renamed and reworked a bit.

&gt;&gt;75 servers? All gaming?

Not all but most.
Big difference on how many clients you can host on a gaming server vs a web hosting server even if they are the same exact machines etc.

Some are running 16 gigs memory (reason I run windows server enterprise) as Winblows server will not reconise more then 4 gigs of memory.
Webhosting I run LAMP -- see above what LAMP is.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>IBP is crap in my opinion. They often use VB because if it costs money, it must come with updates, tech support, etc. right?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Free is often better... for example, apache, PHP, etc. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>VB has a few advantages on super large websites for it's multiple database support and what not... but scubatoys is far away from that, and SMF is somewhat close to it now... and even then, scubaboard uses VB and it's not doin so hot.</DIV>

TommyB
07-16-2007, 23:36
Yes, VB gives support.
One of the best supports out there for a forum software.
I think it's 85.00 per year for leased license.
You submit a trouble ticket, and they are "Johnny on the spot"..

This is a little mis-leading
&gt;&gt;Free is often better... for example, apache, PHP, etc.

Some apache is free, not all. I run RedHat Enterprise, and it's not free.
https://www.redhat.com/wapps/store/catalog.html;jsessionid=GN97vHlloe6MzaygIeJ3erAUdi Md6RrKIW6.www02

I tend to stick to stuff that offers support. May pay more for it, but in the long run, I come out ahead when clients / customers are involved.

But you are correct, IPB is not my cup of tea.. To run a business, I'd choose VB. (just for their support)..
But some of the freebies are good also, example -- one of the worlds largest forums is run on phpbb. If I recall it was tied to a cluster of 35 + redundant databases. You just need to know how to hook into the mysql databases and code php.

plot
07-17-2007, 18:18
Yes, VB gives support.
One of the best supports out there for a forum software.
I think it's 85.00 per year for leased license.
You submit a trouble ticket, and they are "Johnny on the spot"..

This is a little mis-leading
&gt;&gt;Free is often better... for example, apache, PHP, etc.

Some apache is free, not all. I run RedHat Enterprise, and it's not free.
https://www.redhat.com/wapps/store/catalog.html;jsessionid=GN97vHlloe6MzaygIeJ3erAUdi Md6RrKIW6.www02

I tend to stick to stuff that offers support. May pay more for it, but in the long run, I come out ahead when clients / customers are involved.

But you are correct, IPB is not my cup of tea.. To run a business, I'd choose VB. (just for their support)..
But some of the freebies are good also, example -- one of the worlds largest forums is run on phpbb. If I recall it was tied to a cluster of 35 + redundant databases. You just need to know how to hook into the mysql databases and code php.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I figured you probably use Redhat Enterprise, even though they give end user support, I don't think they'll write their own apache security updates and roll them out (although, it being open source, they very well could if they wanted too and deemed it important enough).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm not bashing VB, it's easily my second favorite board... but the admin panel in SMF is downright awesome, and I doubt ST will have any problems wiht it if that's the route they choose. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif</DIV>