PDA

View Full Version : Buying a first stage only?

peteg
09-24-2007, 16:51
Any thoughts on buying the first stage independent of the second stage? Is this more hassle or $$ than it's worth? I guess I am thinking a fella/gal could get a good deal on a fancy used first stage on eBay and then buy whatever second stage at a shop.

ScubaToys Larry
09-24-2007, 16:55
You could try... but I'd guess by the time you piece together a bunch of used parts, then hope you can find rebuild kits for all the different pieces when it came time to servicing them... you'd be far better off just getting a decent new setup to begin with.

scubasavvy
09-24-2007, 17:12
Mmm...I agree with Larry. Save yourself some $$ in the long run and just snag a quality reg with the first and second stages.

Damselfish
09-24-2007, 19:21
It may make sense for some people to buy piece parts off eBay or whatever, but for someone buying a whole reg, in particular their first (and possibly) only reg, it seems unlikely to work to your advantage in the end.

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 20:09
As long as you keep it the same brand I wouldn't see any problem. Keeping it the same brand just might save you a few bucks in case you don't have a local dealer that can repair..or you trust to repair.

I bought a used Zeagle Flathead first stage off E-bay and saved a ton of money. The guy said that it had been just serviced but I sent it in anyway. Also bought a second stage off E-bay and did the same thing.
Of course it is always buyer beware. You can also find some good deals on Scubaboard and The Deco Stop. Done a lot of buying that way as well and so far not a problem.

quasimoto
09-24-2007, 21:01
Been there, done that. You can either save a ton of money or get ripped.I saved a ton of money on good used gear. Some of it came from friends or a friend of a friend so I knew what I was getting.

cummings66
09-24-2007, 21:25
There are times it's a good idea, and times it's not. I need a second first stage for my H valve on the tank but I don't need another second stage so for that situation buying only one works for me. Unless I wanted a backup second stage.

One of my buddies carries something like 6 second stages around when he dive, 10 scuba tanks, lots of extras. He's set for anything that could happen because he buys the first and second as a pair.

subsur
09-24-2007, 21:25
make sure you can get it serviced in one place (both first and second stages) otherwise buy everything of the same brand assuming you have a good place to service it nearby.

in_cavediver
09-24-2007, 22:10
Off the cuff, I agree with Larry. Spend about the same maybe a hair more and get a nice mid-line new reg with everything you need. It will be a lot less hassle and with the prices of different regs, you can get a good quality reg for around that of a good used reg + service.

My preferred list of regs (of which I own multiples of and dive in a tec environment) - Dive Rite RG2500, Zeagle Envoy or anything else in the zeagle line. I have heard good things about the DR Hurricane but haven't dove one. Both are diver friendly with parts kits. ST carries the both if anyone needs them - Thanks Larry!

Later, as you collect more and more, you can look to upgrade, modify, change your regs to reflect your thoughts or to add things for H valves, Din, Doubles, argon, deco, ponies etc. Those make sense to do the mix and match. (you may need only a 1st then)

Flatliner
09-24-2007, 22:53
I would say that if it is your first reg buy the best you can afford from ST. The guys in the shop are great about giving good advice.

peteg
09-25-2007, 09:03
cool. thanks everyone

team2tank
01-14-2008, 11:09
i agree buy the best you can afford!! and its ok to do it seperatly, in the long run you can spend a bit more $ but if you are looking for certain specs for 1st and 2nd you get what you want, i just bought an APEKS ATX50 and it made a huge difference and i would recomend it highly!!

mobeeno
04-19-2008, 11:57
You could try... but I'd guess by the time you piece together a bunch of used parts, then hope you can find rebuild kits for all the different pieces when it came time to servicing them... you'd be far better off just getting a decent new setup to begin with.
Good advise!

ScaredSilly
04-20-2008, 20:59
Funny, a friend just bought one of my first stages and today later sold the orphaned second stage. Oddly I bought them separately less than two months ago. Now I am down to seven regs (4 are mine, 3 are the wife's). That said I would agree with others and try to get a complete reg set.