PDA

View Full Version : What was your inspiration to start diving?

frankc420
07-14-2007, 23:54
The topic says it all! What made you want to dive?

For me, it was back in 2001 when I went on a Carnival cruise to Cozumel. We went on a snorkeling trip and I wanted to touch the bottom SO bad! It was only 20-25' deep, but I just couldn't reach it, main reason being, everytime I would go down my ears would hurt! I later found out how to clear my ears, but haven't been back to Cozumel. The fact that I couldn't get down there or even stay down for any reasonable period of time made me want to be a diver. So in 2006 I finally did it, I got certified!

paintballindivr
07-14-2007, 23:59
my parents surprised me with it as a christmas present and at first i was lik woohoo this looks boring then i went to the class and acutally got excited to do it and now im obsessed but then larry sucked me in on paintball (TWO EXPENSIVE HOBBIES) but o well that was is 05 i believe ya its preaty amazing

Foo2
07-15-2007, 00:18
Idida resort course while in Cozumel durring a cruise in 2001 with my hubby and dad. My dad was in the middle of getting his OW Cert at the time. After my dad got certified, my mom did....then my sister. I really enjoyed it and wanted to get certified but ended up getting pregnant instead. So then after I had my son, my husband got certified and now after my 2nd son I have finally gotten certified. It seems I have been a professional baby maker for quite some time. Ugh! I'm so excited cause I am leaving for a cruise on Thurs. and I'll get to go dive in Cozumel. This time I'm going to be on an actual reef...not some crappy tires and other junk that a shop is trying to grow stuff on for their resort course people. Ahhhhhh, to be in blue water....
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

Cichlid
07-15-2007, 00:22
paintballindivr's parents surprised me with a Christmas gift too. I was
like "hey, I dont' even know you people." But I took the gift anyway,
despite it kinda creeping me out. J/k! It's just something I always
have wanted to do. My wife and I did a snuba dive in Maui during our
honeymoon and it was enough to confirm my believed interests. And no,
my wife didn't snuba with any of you on our honeymoon. Don't try to
copy me.smileys/smiley36.gif

paintballindivr
07-15-2007, 00:26
thas an original post im not gonna lie haha im only 16 so ya give me a break hahaha ya i saw that snuba thing that would make me more nervous than scuba becuase u hav to trust other people u dont acutally kno the gear they are givin u

Queen
07-15-2007, 06:21
Watching Jacques Cousteau specials and Sea Hunt when I was a kid. I wanted to be out there under the ocean every waking minute. I started snorkeling when we moved to Italy, I had a little rubber raft with a concrete filled coffee can anchor that I'd paddle out into the Adriatic/Mediterranean/Aegean (depending on where we were camping that week), drop anchor, slip on my gear and spend the next 8 hours freediving to watch the fishys. Finally got certified to dive in '79 when I was 19!!

ertechsg
07-15-2007, 07:15
Spent a week there, it was cheap, went on a snorkeling trip HOOKED.Came back was cert. the next month. Now Coz is atleast once a year among 1 other place differant.Besides I always want to swim with sharks.That is where my avatar pic is from(COZUMEL). SHH HE IS SLEEPING

bolantej
07-16-2007, 00:09
I had a buddy that kept bugging me, so I decided to go for it. I love it, and have never looked back.

94GTStang
07-16-2007, 00:15
I've always been obsessed with the ocean from day one. However, it really wasn't until we went to Cozumel in 05 and snorkeled did I want to get certified. Plus two good friends were divers which allowed my girlfriend and I to have more dive buddies.

techgnostic
07-16-2007, 00:43
My family was posted to Panama in the 80's and I was in high school. The excellent location plus the impossible to argue with MSW program: $40 for Padi OW (included all 6 check out dives in the Caribean waters of the Atlantic side of Panama!!) plus the equipment rental ran about $50.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You have got to love subsidized military lifestyles.</DIV>

94GTStang
07-16-2007, 07:59
My family was posted to Panama in the 80's and I was in high school. The excellent location plus the impossible to argue with MSW program: $40 for Padi OW (included all 6 check out dives in the Caribean waters of the Atlantic side of Panama!!) plus the equipment rental ran about $50.
<div></div>
<div>You have got to love subsidized military lifestyles.</div>
Dove Panama in January! It's still cheap over there smileys/smiley36.gif

georoc01
07-16-2007, 08:54
Like many others on this forum, it was a resort course. I was on a cruise with a friend of mine about six years ago who was a diver and told me I had to try it. So we signed up for the Discovery Dive at Don Foster's in the Grand Caymans.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have to admit, It was really tough at first. The idea of breathing underwater and not holding your breath was foreign to me. It took me about four tries to get through the skill checkout. The dive master didn't think I was going to make it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But I did and the dive went well. Then another relationship took me in another direction. When it ended I knew I wanted to get back at this and prove to myself that I could get certified. 25 dives later, I am still at it.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-16-2007, 08:58
snorkeling just wasn't good enough :)

Vercingetorix
07-16-2007, 16:17
When I graduated from college, I wanted to try diving in San Diego where I was employed. Unfortunately, I had no money and no time. I also was unable to breathe through a snorkel and the cheap masks I tried leaked. So, I gave up on the dream of diving.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In December 2006, I was on a cruise to Mexican waters. Each morning, I watched the dive boats go past the cruise ship and wished I could dive. Atthe cruiseline's private island, they rented snorkeling gear to swim at the private beach. I thought, "Well, this will last about 30 seconds". Three hours of snorkeling later, I told my wife that if I can snorkel, I can scuba.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In January 2007, one month short of 55 years old, I got my NAUI OW cert (in mid-40's temp Texas lake). In April, NAUI AOW in mid-50's temp Texas lake. Yesterday, NAUI Rescue in upper-80's Texas lake (no wetsuit...YAY!!!).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Now, onto NAUI Training Assistant.</DIV>

eric4435
07-16-2007, 18:06
Well, a month ago I dropped the special edition platinum rolex my grandfather gave me into the sea while kayaking (oops!) Luckily I had my gps on me so I took down the coordinates and decided to come back for it later. Couldn't reach the bottom free diving so I decided that learning to dive would be cheaper (and way more useful) than trying to buy a new watch. 2 weeks later I'm certified so I rented my scuba gear and tracked down the spot with my gps. Got my watch back!

Just kidding, no rolex, no gps, no kayak. Sure makes for a fun story though. smileys/smiley17.gif

Actually, I live in the carribean so I spend a lot of the time at the beach and have been snorkeling since a little kid. Then in 8th grade I went on a field trip with my super-cool biology teacher to Salinas, a really nice reef in the Dominican Republic. My parents came along and after snorkeling with me they figured that I was ready for my certification. I'm in 12th grade now and I plan on diving the rest of the summer with ReefCheck. Fun fun!

divinginn
07-16-2007, 19:29
finding out i could get college credit for learning something i always wanted to learn. I grew up on the beach in clearwater fla,have been snorkling since i was 7 years old or so,we used to call it skindiving back in the good ol days.

DDGator
07-16-2007, 20:13
On a cruise to Cozumel (sounds familiar) with one of my lifelong friends, he decided he wanted to get certified and made me swear some kind of pact that we would do it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have spent most of my life doing water related stuff, so it wasn't too big a stretch. I had meant to do it many times, but hand't found someone to take the plunge with me.</DIV>

Cichlid
07-16-2007, 20:26
Well, a month ago I dropped the special edition
platinum rolex my grandfather gave me into the sea while kayaking
(oops!) Luckily I had my gps on me so I took down the coordinates and
decided to come back for it later. Couldn't reach the bottom free
diving so I decided that learning to dive would be cheaper (and way
more useful) than trying to buy a new watch. 2 weeks later I'm
certified so I rented my scuba gear and tracked down the spot with my
gps. Got my watch back!

Just kidding, no rolex, no gps, no kayak. Sure makes for a fun story though. smileys/smiley17.gif

You totally had me. I was thinking how great of a story that was. Jerk! smileys/smiley36.gif Good one!

thesmoothdome
07-16-2007, 20:32
My fiance (now my ex-wife) and her whole family dove and it was "expected" that I learn. Not the bestreason to learn, and from what I learned later, a lot of people who are pressured to learn never enjoy it, but from my first breath in the pool, I was hooked.

Centerius
07-16-2007, 21:07
I find the water to be a place where I can get away from everything -- I've been swimming (casually, not competitively) for a long time and thought that SCUBA was the next step. I graduated with my BS in May and decided to audit (take for no credit) the SCUBA class offered here at FSU -- I paid about $110 in tuition (inc. fees) for a 13 week class (lecture night and pool night every week), checkout dives at Morrison Springs and boat dive out of Panama City, in which we are provided all gear. I think I got a steal on the price. :)

DiveCaptain
07-16-2007, 21:15
Everybodies doing it!! I got hooked by my girlfriend's brother-in-law. He needed more diving buddies and offered to help withsome of the equipment and Isaid what the hey, sounds like fun!!Also living in Florida all my life was also a big convincer if any.

TAH 73
07-17-2007, 08:35
When growng up I wanted to go into Military SAR, and I figured getting certified wuld help in getting in. Then I found out that I needed to do a few years of service before going SAR with no guarantees, so I never went that route.I still got certified though. OW at the start of the summer, AOWlater in the fall, and this year I went through the OW course again, (shop was running a $99 intro sale and Fiancee was getting certified) so i figured a brushup was in orde to see if there are any ad habits. I ended up getting my IANTD OW cert out of the deal as well.
<DIV></DIV>

Skinsfan1311
07-17-2007, 11:14
I had a buddy that kept bugging me, so I decided to go for it. I love it, and have never looked back.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Same here!</DIV>

Illini_Fan
07-17-2007, 11:28
Last year my son and I decided to go to Australia for this summer's vacation and we figured since we were going to Australia, might as well go to the Great Barrier Reef, which means we might as well learn to dive.

Kinda of a bass - ackwards method, but it worked for us.

Ajuva
07-17-2007, 13:31
Started snorkelling in the Med at eight with my Dad, Always spent hours in the sea and always came back with a tanned back and a lighter front.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Wanted to cert from then on.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Life intervened and 32 years later finally achieved the dream at a place called Loch Long in Scotland where the drier option was to get in the water.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Leaving for the South East coast of Dominican in 20 days to extend the cert to AOW and Nitrox.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hooked for life!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Bury me at seabut make sure my ex-wife digs the hole!!!!!</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-17-2007, 14:01
I had been on SCUBA in our pool as a kid as both parents were certified but never really thought about getting a SCUBA cert. I did go snorkeling down in Cancun and had a blast doing that but I had no problem diving down and seeing everything I wanted to. It wasn't until my father paid for me and my brother to get certified because he wanted us to dive on a vacation he was also paying for that I realized what I was really missing. If only I had known how much that certification gift was really going to cost me...

ScubaToys Larry
07-17-2007, 20:26
Well heck... you guys may as well know mine. You may not know it from my Avatar... but I used to have long hair... I was in a band. Traveled around the country for 6 years.

I had a 2 week break coming up, and had booked a trip to the Bahamas, and there was this waitress in Cedar Rapids Iowa who I asked to head to the Bahamas with me... She told me, only if we could go diving as she was a diver. So the next week, my band was playing at a hotel in Clear Lake Iowa, and I found a private instructor to give me lessons... No pool available so I did my pool work in the Ramada Inn pool... Then off to the Bahamas to do the referral dives as Clear Lake was frozen (it was January).

*Side note... Clear Lake Iowa is famous why?? Answer at the end of my story.

So that is why I got certified... the same reason a lot of 22 year old guys do stuff... For a woman!

Now not the best story for getting certified I've ever heard... that would have been one of my students. He came in to me to get certified because he watched a discovery channel special on a coast guard cutter that went down in Lake Michigan in a storm. He was on that ship when it went down and is now a wreck dive up there.

During the show, when they went through the cabins - he saw his locker - with the combination lock still on it - and he wanted to learn to dive so he could go down there, open the lock and get his divorce papers out of it!

So there is 2 stories - diving because of Women!

Oh.. and Clear Lake... that is the day the music died... Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper crashed into that lake while taking off from the town.

And so there you go....

WaterRat
07-17-2007, 21:10
Since I can remember I wanted to dive. Planted in front of the TV watching Jacques Cousteau at 5 years old. My first set of doubles came at the ripe old age of 7. A couple of 2 liter coke bottles, a harness made from scraps in my grandmothers sewing room, aquarium line for a reg hose and a 2nd stage that looked remarkably like container fortape bubble gum. First dive was a nice backroll off the couch and thereI was in my imaginary undersea world.
<DIV>When I was 15 I went to a neighbors garage sale. There it was, a 1970's steel 72. I was in love and had to have it. To make this long story as short as possible...smileys/smiley1.gifMy parents wouldn't even consider buying me the tank. So the sale ended and the tank never sold. I cut a deal with the guy and ended up cleaning the greenest, nastiest swimming poolI had every seen. Many hours later that pool was clean and I was proudly carrying that tank down the street.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Since this neighbor was a diver, that got the ball rolling and soon I was certified at age 15.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I tore down that neighbors shed for an old depth guage and BC (what turns out to be a snorkling vest). My dad found a deal on a vintage US Diver Conshelf reg (no octo) and a Dacor plastic backplate. The ultimate in a throw together gear set, but I was the happiest 15 year old around.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I was born with my inspiration, it's part of my DNA.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

RECDiver
07-18-2007, 22:25
I watched Sea Hunt, Jacques Cousteau, for years growing up. I also heard the treasure and wreck stories about the South Padre Island area as I grew up in the Rio Grande Valley. I was a senior at SWT in San Marcos when Don Dibble started the scuba program at the university, but all I saw was 12 hours left and light at the end of the tunnel, so I waited for four more years to take the course at J. Rich Sports at Northcross Mall in Austin from the late Jim Fuller.

harb99
07-19-2007, 08:23
Summer of '94 - I was going to be in my fifth year of college following the summer break and knew that this would be my last chance at a true spring break, so my roommates and I decided on Cancun before we went home for the summer - knew some divers and got hooked up with the instructor and took my OW class and dives.

Then in spring of '95 made my first true ocean dive while on spring break in Cancun - I think I went out 2 times - one on a 2-tank dive and one night dive - just incredible - especially since I was certified in a muddy farm pond created by interstate construction.

I knew if I was in Cancun and couldnt actually dive, it would drive me nuts as it was something I had always wanted to do.

Harb

mwhities
07-19-2007, 09:12
The topic says it all! What made you want to dive?

For me, it was back in 2001 when I went on a Carnival cruise to Cozumel. We went on a snorkeling trip and I wanted to touch the bottom SO bad! It was only 20-25' deep, but I just couldn't reach it, main reason being, everytime I would go down my ears would hurt! I later found out how to clear my ears, but haven't been back to Cozumel. The fact that I couldn't get down there or even stay down for any reasonable period of time made me want to be a diver. So in 2006 I finally did it, I got certified!

He's lying. I made him get certified with me!

I was on acruise to Cozumel as well. My wife (gf at that time) were snorkeling and her brother-in-law, being certified, was swimming underneath us... I flipped him off and vowed that by the next cruiser.. I WILL be certified!

Three or four months later... Frank and I got certified.

Michael

Scubling
07-20-2007, 14:07
I guess my dad because he is certified so i thought it would be cool to be certified too http://scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

cgvmer
07-20-2007, 14:51
Always wanted to get certified but never had the time and money at the same time. So 2 years ago at 43yrs old I convinced my 12 yr old to take a course with me onboard a cruise we going on. We completed the Padi Scuba class then completed OW 6months later while in Florida, since then my older son was certified and my daughter (turns 10 in Nov) wants to get certified, now to convince my wife.

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 11:00
Just a planned tropical vacation did it for me

rktman26
07-21-2007, 21:11
It's been something I've always wanted to do, but never had the "disposable" income to make it happen.

This year, I received a $10k bonus, and figured I'd treat myself by learning to dive.

I've always been comfortable in the water, and got the opportunity to
snorkel in Hanauma Bay a couple years ago. Diving is just a natural
progression.

picxie
07-21-2007, 21:49
I learnt during my final year of highschool. The school was offering to put some students through the OW course so I asked to do it (I don't think I even had to pay for it). It was something that sounded like fun. We then did the Stress &amp; Rescue course (SSI) sometime later that same year. I then spent the next 8 odd year with perhaps 2 dive trips during that time. This time last year I was off overseas to visit a friend - the one who I learnt to dive with - so I told her to do a refresher course as I wanted to do some diving while I was there. It was great diving and I was adament I wasn't going to let myself stop like I'd done before. So I went and bought some gear, did my AOW course, and I now try to get out at least once a month. It's not a lot, but I don't really dive locally so there is a cost involved in going out of town all the time. Once a month or so keeps me at it and I've been able to see some great dive spots!

wxboy911
07-22-2007, 07:34
I used to watch Jacques Cousteau as a youngster-Always wanted to breath underwater just like him. I thought there was a whole world under the water that I wanted to see. Jump ahead 25 years and my wife gave me the lessons for OW for our 10th anniversary. I got certified back in June and I love it. My wife thinks I am obsessed...

Prouty33
07-22-2007, 07:46
Last year in college I saw the signs for a cert. class being done on school grounds, fairly cheap because the instructor (who owns the LDS in town) is also a professor at the college. Mentioned it to my parents, then my mom mentioned it to her boss. He's a multi-millionaire stock brocker, and a really nice guy. He loves when kids get into outdoor kind of stuff, and cut me a check for the class and my "personal" gear. Can't pass up a free opportunity! As I always say "Free is for me!"

Now if he would only pay off my credit cards for getting me addicted smileys/smiley36.gif

fire diver
07-22-2007, 09:59
I grew up watching Jaques on TV I don't remember THAT setting my path but I remember watching the divers I really liking the show. Then, a few years later the neighbors across street moved in from California. They were divers. I remember seeing thier dive gear setting by thier pool one day. THAT set the hook! Suddenly, here were people who actually did what I saw on TV. I wanted to dive too. I've always been a water lover (and half fish is what my Grandma used to say). But diving was expensive, and wasn't in the family budget for a 10 year old. SO I stayed as a "wanna be" until I became a firefighter. Then, I finally had both the moeny to afford it, and the time to take the lessons.
<DIV>The rest as they say, is history.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

ScubaCrash
07-22-2007, 22:08
Well I just recently got started (sept of 06) while I was stationed in the Caribbean. Still can't quite figure out how I ended up there, because I volunteered for Iraq and got sent to the Caribbean instead. Some sort of reverse pyschology at work I guess. Anyways, about a half dozen guys I was workign with there all wanted to get their certs, so I said "WTH" and went along too. Our first skills dive was open water (hardly any pools there) in about 6 feet of water, followed by a 20 min fun dive. I was hooked. So while I was there I racked up 70 dives, certed to rescue and have 6 specialty cards now http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

sidneydiver
07-23-2007, 00:04
I only took my OW because some friends were going and I didn't have anything better to do and now there's no stopping me! I had absolutely no interest in scuba diving at all and now I'm miserable if I don't get to dive at the weekend.

Judestudio
07-23-2007, 01:01
Always wanted to. Waited until parents have no say over me anymore.

57ChevyGreg
07-23-2007, 01:16
Teenager living in Hawaii in 1972, wanted to play under the water as well as on top. NAUI was a 6 week "boot camp" for certification. First gear was a first stage with a single second stage, a SPG less than 2" in diameter, a Hawaiian back pack and a horse collor. Boy have we come a long way in equipment since then.

creggur
07-23-2007, 15:27
Snorkeling in Maui 5 years ago, then every year when we went to the Keys on vacation we'd go snorkeling.
<DIV>2 months ago my wife and I are sitting on the back porch relaxing and I say "we should learn to SCUBA dive so we can do more than snorkel when we go to the Keys this year. She gave me the lifted eyebrow "mhh hmm" response I usually get to statements like that, and I didn't think any more about it..</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Fast forward 2 weeks to my birthday, and what was in the first box that I unwrapped??? 2 NAUI SCUBA Diver kits.... Really great wife!!</DIV>

frankc420
07-23-2007, 16:37
Snorkeling in Maui 5 years ago, then every year when we went to the Keys on vacation we'd go snorkeling.
<div>2 months ago my wife and I are sitting on the back porch relaxing and I say "we should learn to SCUBA dive so we can do more than snorkel when we go to the Keys this year. She gave me the lifted eyebrow "mhh hmm" response I usually get to statements like that, and I didn't think any more about it..</div>
<div></div>
<div>Fast forward 2 weeks to my birthday, and what was in the first box that I unwrapped??? 2 NAUI SCUBA Diver kits.... Really great wife!!</div>

If that story was reversed and it was her that said she wanted to get become a diver, 2 weeks ahead of her birthday would not work. It would have to be 1-2 days before otherwise us guys would forget! smileys/smiley36.gif

tx.lakerat
07-23-2007, 19:46
A trip to Coz within a 2 week time frame in 2000... that's what got me hooked... after a quick ow class I had the bug so bad I haven't stopped since!

bamamedic
07-23-2007, 21:35
For me, it was the stories one of my coworkers used to tell. He used to be a NAUI instructor, and he made diving sound incredibly fun.

So, I went and bought a cheap pair of fins, mask, and snorkel, went to the pool and discovered a bit of an issue...I couldn't swim! I distinctly remember being able to swim when I was a kid, but evidently some time has gone by since then. So, Step One: Learning to swim! I'm getting better at that one. Swimming really wasn't a big thing where I'm originally from.... : )

A coworker of mine really, really wants a scuba partner, so he put on an unofficial "discover scuba" thing for me and one of the dispatchers. It was incredibly fun...I love hobbies that require lots of gear and accessories... :)

Anyways, that's about it. Looking forward to taking my OW course once I get a bit better at swimming...

dmdoss
07-23-2007, 23:21
to get away from 99% of the population.

Bill22
07-24-2007, 17:53
Like a few others here, I grew up watching Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges. I always liked to read and when I was about 11, I came across Jacques Cousteau's book "The Silent World". After that I started reading everything I could about diving. When I was 12 while visiting my father for the summer in Corpus Christi we passed a dive shop. I begged my father to take me which he did and I bought a snorkeling set. Good equipment not the cheap kind you buy in the local drug store. All ScubaPro http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif Mask, fins, and snorkel. I took a snorkeling course at the local municipal pool when I got home to Bryan. When I was 18 the first year that I was in the Navy while stationed on a ship homeported in Norfolk, VA I saw and advertisement for scuba lessons. I called the shop and got directions, then rode the bus down to the dive shop and signed up for the Basic course. That was in 1977.Tommy Thompson was my first instructor.

Black-Gorrilla
07-24-2007, 19:21
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7lMuhlfEXII
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>thats what made me start.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>hhmm... eitherway.. i live in FLA for 13 years.. and i finaly realized one day.. people come from all over the world to dive here.... and i live in miami and never??? doesnt make sence</DIV>

3rdEye
07-25-2007, 12:41
just something I always wanted to do....even as a kid, used to watch the Jaques Cousteau documentaries, etc., always have been a swimmer and never afraid of the water...had snorkeled before and loved it.....this year, it was a goal, and I am glad I finally experienced it and did it. And I hope to be doing it for many many more years, as I know already that I am addicted and that Ilove it.

Disneymom
07-26-2007, 13:25
Cool!
My story:
I go to Walt Disney World once a year (at least), and there is a pavilion at Epcot that is home to a 5,700,000 gallon saltwater aquarium. They have a 'tour' so to speak, twice a day, that allows a smallgroup of certfied divers to dive, and I decided I wanted todo that dive.I've always loved the water, and would much rather be in any body of water than out if it - pool, lake, ocean, bathtub.... it doesn't matter. (one of my instructors referred to me as a fish the other day...)

Once I made the decision to obtain my certification, I have since learned that my father, now 85, used to dive in the late 50's in New York state. He was part of a local dive club that doveLake Erie, taught,did icediving and some rescuework. He had been out of the sport for a year or so before I came along, and nothing was ever mentioned about it my entire life. I figure I was born with the dive gene, and it simply lay dormant all of this time! But.... now that it has awakened, the urge to dive is frighteningly intense!

Loving my OW training, excited about obtaining my OW cert, and look forward to moving on to bigger and better certs!

loudgonzo
07-26-2007, 13:42
I was snorkeling in the keys, having a great time, (this was the first time I did snorkeling)...enjoying watching the fish and all when below me goes a group of about 4 or 5 divers. I didn't enjoy the rest of my snorkel trip. Got back home and started looking into diving. Still slowly learning and acquiring gear.

dallasdivergirl
07-27-2007, 16:18
I knew that it was something I always wanted to do. When I was younger my family never took vacations, we went on missionary trips to Kansas & Iowa. My ex husband was a diver and I wanted us to go on a dive trip so I got certified. I love it.

I have to go on at least one dive trip a year.

plot
07-27-2007, 19:22
I didn't know how to swim so I figured it'd be a good idea to have a tank of air on my back whenever I jumped in the water.

Moxie
07-28-2007, 01:01
My SO was pretty into it. He had his DM from years gone by and wanted to have someone to dive with. I worked with a fabulous guy who turned out to be a dive instructor on the side. Not just any instructor mind you, but a DSAT instuctor to boot. So he did a one on one with me. What an incredible experience.

Since then I've been a diver at heart. Surpassing my SO even.

Krakenn
07-29-2007, 23:48
We lived in a small fishing village, I was always in the water with the family getting towed around the estuary in a truck tube with a laundy basket in the centre looking for Crabs from about 2yoa. We also always had those little pools so i used to watch the water beetles through a set of 'goggles' from I cant remember what age. When i was seven we went out for a bbq in the hills and a bloke in the group found a mask by the river, it was the old poipose type, you remember had a big circular front window.

Then when we went to the beach we would snorkel in close around the waves then when I was 9 I was given a gidgie (Hawaiin Sling) and I joined a group of mates that would spear everyweekend we would ride our bikes for miles to the BEST spots.

When I was 10 I was given a go in shallow water on a Hookah System and I was Hooked underwater from then on.

Certified as a FAUI Diver at 14. I got my Scuba certification because of a well known Australian Spearfisherman called Ben Cropp and reading his books and adventures.

It is sad to say, and I also say this because its on an international website that not alot of Australians read that... well.... It was also umm because of the Flipper Shows on tele!!!

Cripes back then we trained on Tabata Dunny Lids (Horseshoe BC) and I remember using a Frenzy BC with the Built in Oxygen bottle in the early 80's - Like the current Zeagle Rapid Divers.

I can remember buying my first BCD or Stabilising Jacket a Tabata SJ 177 it was a jacket with the backpack incorporated but the straps still rubbed on you. Sad to say i still have it. But I have since had a Sherwood Pro Black and now my new LE Mares Morphous.

Parts of my anatomy hadnt gone south when i was 10 so I cant attribute it to a woman Larry but I loved your post dude.

Smiles for a trip down memory lane btw.

Kraks

Puffer Fish
07-30-2007, 20:17
We lived in a small fishing village, I was always in the water with the family getting towed around the estuary in a truck tube with a laundy basket in the centre looking for Crabs from about 2yoa. We also always had those little pools so i used to watch the water beetles through a set of 'goggles' from I cant remember what age. When i was seven we went out for a bbq in the hills and a bloke in the group found a mask by the river, it was the old poipose type, you remember had a big circular front window.

Then when we went to the beach we would snorkel in close around the waves then when I was 9 I was given a gidgie (Hawaiin Sling) and I joined a group of mates that would spear everyweekend we would ride our bikes for miles to the BEST spots.

When I was 10 I was given a go in shallow water on a Hookah System and I was Hooked underwater from then on.

Certified as a FAUI Diver at 14. I got my Scuba certification because of a well known Australian Spearfisherman called Ben Cropp and reading his books and adventures.

It is sad to say, and I also say this because its on an international website that not alot of Australians read that... well.... It was also umm because of the Flipper Shows on tele!!!

Cripes back then we trained on Tabata Dunny Lids (Horseshoe BC) and I remember using a Frenzy BC with the Built in Oxygen bottle in the early 80's - Like the current Zeagle Rapid Divers.

I can remember buying my first BCD or Stabilising Jacket a Tabata SJ 177 it was a jacket with the backpack incorporated but the straps still rubbed on you. Sad to say i still have it. But I have since had a Sherwood Pro Black and now my new LE Mares Morphous.

Parts of my anatomy hadnt gone south when i was 10 so I cant attribute it to a woman Larry but I loved your post dude.

Smiles for a trip down memory lane btw.

Kraks
New guy....

Mine was before BC's.. it was sea hunt... and I started diving in Destin Florida.. while working during the summers as a deck hand at the age of 16. Loved it.

Krakenn
08-02-2007, 05:12
Puffer, so do we call you Pops?

Smiles

Kraks

kingfish
08-05-2007, 02:50
I was on holiday in Fiji and staying at a resort so i was able to do a resort dive course for free as part of the stay.
I had been snorkeling almost constantly from the minute we got there so it was great to be able to get a bit deeper.
I have always loved the water and marine life so it was a natural progression i think.
Jason.

deepdiver47
08-05-2007, 08:03
For me it was my teenage son that wanted to dive. We both got certified and did our first sea dive in Playa. We jump off the boat, he swallows sea water (didn't have his reg in) and never set foot on a dive boat again.

He got me forever hooked! I am the only one that dives in my family.

We

deepdiver47
08-05-2007, 08:05
Cool!
My story:
I go to Walt Disney World once a year (at least), and there is a pavilion at Epcot that is home to a 5,700,000 gallon saltwater aquarium. They have a 'tour' so to speak, twice a day, that allows a smallgroup of certfied divers to dive, and I decided I wanted todo that dive.I've always loved the water, and would much rather be in any body of water than out if it - pool, lake, ocean, bathtub.... it doesn't matter. (one of my instructors referred to me as a fish the other day...)

Once I made the decision to obtain my certification, I have since learned that my father, now 85, used to dive in the late 50's in New York state. He was part of a local dive club that doveLake Erie, taught,did icediving and some rescuework. He had been out of the sport for a year or so before I came along, and nothing was ever mentioned about it my entire life. I figure I was born with the dive gene, and it simply lay dormant all of this time! But.... now that it has awakened, the urge to dive is frighteningly intense!

Loving my OW training, excited about obtaining my OW cert, and look forward to moving on to bigger and better certs!

Why would I expect anything less from a Disneymom!
Thanks for sharing. I wonder how many other dreams started in Disney.

deepdiver47
08-05-2007, 08:07
to get away from 99% of the population.

You hit the nail on head dmdoss, there are way to many people on this earth. Diving is an escape for me as well.

chinacat46
08-05-2007, 09:19
I was traveling for a few months and was visiting NZ. My next stop was Fiji. I had some time to kill in NZ so I took an OW class in the Bay of Islands so I'd be able to dive in Fiji. Ended up getting my AOW and the rest is as they say history.

ParrotHead
08-05-2007, 09:33
A resort course I took in Hawaii. I was paired up with a DM/Instructor nicknamed Big John; "Slender" was not a word you used to describe him. However, he glided effortlessly through the water with perfect dead-on boyancy - he was one of those b@sterds that made it look easy.

Well - here's to you Big John ! ! :clap: :fulle:

bullshark
08-05-2007, 19:22
I just kindof took an interest in it one day and started to read up on it on the internet

Osprey
08-06-2007, 00:44
I'm obsessed with sea-things (which is why I got the totally wicked cop-out job of being an artist who draws fishes ;) )

Phestr
08-07-2007, 02:02
My father told me that if I got stationed in Okinawa and didn't learn to dive, don't bother coming back.

No Misses
08-07-2007, 07:11
I grew up in PA. I lived 1-2 hours away from some of the best snow skiing on the East coast. I started skiing and loved it. Then 1 year later, I moved to Chicago. The only hills in Chicago are the highway overpasses :-( Now I had to travel 8-12 hours to go skiing. When I moved to Florida, I did not want the same thing to happen. I got right into offshore fishing, then snorkelling, and finally diving. I did not want to procrastinate and miss out. I have been here for 10 yrs. now and have no plans of leaving.

Living and working in FL to support my Nitrox addiction;-)

ParrotheadDiver
08-07-2007, 07:21
A boyfriend.....he is gone....but I am still diving 30 years later

Krakenn
08-22-2007, 10:27
Yep it really is a great pursuit.
I often thought about doing it professionally but then you turn your love into your work and I wouldnt risk it.

Kraks

gtjason2000
08-22-2007, 10:38
As a teen I was lucky enough to just happen to be going to australia and my parents or maybe I did, long time ago, decided why pass up one of the best dive sites in the world. Saddly after the trip I didn't dive for 10 years, I was a kid, my parents didn't dive, excuse, excuse, excuse. Then while researching stuff to do in the bahamas I saw a place offering dolphin diving but I learned that those are usually bad for the dolphins unless it is out in open water where it is really expensive. Instead I decided to do a shark dive and then convinced my fiance to do a DSD. She decided to get her OW afterward so we could go diving on our honeymoon. She liked it so much that in the past year she has dragged me all the way through DM.

namabiru
08-22-2007, 12:00
Nice question, Frank.

My inspiration came from a trip to Thailand in 2004, where I snorkeled for the first time. I loved seeing the underwater world, and ranted and raved so much that one of the divers on the boat suggested I try diving. I thought about it, and thought about it, and snorkeled some more during my SE Asia travels.

Finally, in 2006, I decided to take the plunge. I had heard the Philippines was world-class diving and a good place to get certified. So I found a good shop near Manila and bought my ticket. And I loved it! My instructor made all the difference in the world, as did the dive resort. It was German-Swiss run, and I had a heap of fun. It was then that I realized that diving was as much a social as a physical lifelong activity. As those are my kind of sports, I was hooked.

Although I haven't been able to dive as much as I would like, with starting grad. school as a full-time student last fall, I've endeavored to keep in diving as much as possible. Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Dive-aholic, who virtually give courses away with their nominal fees and high quality instruction/flexibility, I was able to keep learning and even dive a few times in AZ.

Now, with relocating to Qatar, and having a good salary again, I am looking forward to more diving adventures. There is a BSAC chapter I've been in correspondence with, and look forward to joining when I arrive in Doha. At least it's diving, even if it's not world-class.

50 dives is a pinnacle I am looking to reach when I go on Blackbeard's in a week and a half :D

scuba cat
09-30-2007, 18:15
My first time diving did it for me. It was back in 2001 with a Discover Scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef with my boyfriend (now husband). We did 3 Discover dives and it was an awesome show of barracudas, giant clams, and lots of other fish (thankfully no great whites). Viz was great! They calm underwater, just hearing your own breathing, was very soothing to me. We should've gotten certified right then, but didn't really think about it until 2006 when I decided to get him and I certified as his birthday present. So here we are - happily married divers.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 19:18
My inspiration for learning to dive is being able to spend more time with finflippers.

BuzzF117
09-30-2007, 20:32
I turn 40 next year and decided I was going to do something I had ALWAYS wanted to try. I remember as a kid sitting at home watching Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom and Jaque Costeau and being amazed at whats under the sea. There are some spiritual things the inspired me but I won't bore you with those.

bversteegh
09-30-2007, 21:18
It was definately Jacques Cousteau specials, and National Geographic magazine. Growing up in Iowa, didn't have a lot of "local" opportunities to dive. Took the class for a PE credit in college; and did a road trip over the next spring break to Florida. Got to dive with Manatees in Crystal River, and caught a lobster on one of our ocean dives. 3 Iowa boys with a fresh lobster, and no idea how to cook it (we were camping - so not a lot of gear either). The dive shop we were diving with had a gas grill with a big pot of oil down by dock. Not knowing any better, we boiled the lobster in oil - it came out more rubbery than you can believe. Still laugh about it occasionally.

Bring the Payne
09-30-2007, 21:20
I had always wanted to dive but just never did it. Snorkeling in Cozumel sent me over the edge.

BobbyWombat
09-30-2007, 22:07
WWII history buff. The idea of being able to dive some of that history off the East Coast got me thinking about it.

mdwestgrl
09-30-2007, 22:12
My mom wanted to try to get certified to get over her fear of water, so I decided to take the class with her. I had a good time in the class, but then I did not dive for a few years until my husband got certified and became obsessed.

Charles R
09-30-2007, 22:15
I love the sealife and did a discover scuba course in 2004 in Muai and fell in love.

Theepdinker
09-30-2007, 22:49
Growing up in sight of the ocean had something to do with becoming a diver.
Yeah, I'm sure it did.

Theep

caroln
10-01-2007, 16:33
I grew up on an island and always loved the ocean, swimming, and snorkeling. Last year I went to Cozumel and saw the dive boats going out every day--I had an awesome time snorkeling, but I *had* to get certified after that.

GDiver
10-01-2007, 17:15
My parents offered to take me on a vacation to Belize in 2000. My father was getting certified and to influence my decision to get certified, he offered to purchase my mask, snorkel, fins and booties. How could I say NO??

mulefeathers
10-01-2007, 17:44
Shooting Fish......No great story beyond that.

Kokomo
10-01-2007, 19:42
Husband was obsessed with diving and I wanted to spend more time with him. He offered to pay for my classes and equipment and he would take me anywhere I wanted to go. What a wonderful deal this was! I became certified and went to Bonaire!

scuba-taylor
10-02-2007, 06:59
I went snorkeling at clear spring and was just dying to get dying to get down deeper in the water. My dad has beed divind for years, I decided to start taking lessons.

Tableleg
10-02-2007, 19:45
I got tired of looking at all my diving friend's under water pictures and video. I wanted to go see all the stuff for myself!

shadragon
10-04-2007, 12:23
Ummm, don't know. The Witness Relocation people never briefed me on that...

:smiley16:

datamunk
10-06-2007, 00:13
i was at a resort in turks and caicos, and did the resort class and i loved it! the divemaster told me i did a really good job for having never dove, so, it hooked me... got certified a few months later (2000) and have been divin since!

shari75202
10-06-2007, 03:23
We went to Playa Del Carmen last year and took the ferry over to Cozumel and while there we snorkeled from a glass bottom boat. I wanted SOO badly to get to the bottom, errr I mean neutrally boyant NEAR the bottom and explore all the Ocean has to offer!

bubble-head
10-06-2007, 08:17
When I was a child, I watched Cousteau shows all of the time. We would also drive by a local borrow pit that was a popular training spot for divers. I began asking my parents for diving lessons around the age of 7 and they finally signed me up as a surprise one summer when I was 14. After completing Junior Open Water, they surprised me with my AOW and a new BC.

Zyxistal
10-06-2007, 13:16
It was part of the marriage vows that I take up diving. Took my OW class 1 week before our one yr anniversary.

chace_nicole
10-07-2007, 17:39
I was in Cozumel, at Chankanub (forgive me on the spelling)
It was not very busy & I talked to a guy about discover scuba, he gave me a good deal. I was hooked right then & there!
We saw lobster, swam through a pass & saw huge tarpons (I think..but they were long, long silver fish..not barracuda).
It was the most peaceful feeling I have experienced in my life.
I came back home to Oklahoma, wanting to find a dive buddy. After a couple of years with no luck, I said to heck with it and signed up for a class by myself. I did my training, encountered some mask clearing problems :smiley11: but I worked through them. I even traveled to the lake for check out dives by myself & stayed alone in a hotel for the weekend. That was a big step for me, guys may do it all the time, but I didn't see any other female divers traveling alone. Not trying to sound like She-Ra or anything because I did it by myself but I have come to love diving even more because of the challenges I have overcome along the way. I pushed myself is all & that is a great feeling when you accomplish things that you didn't know you could.

gthomas
10-16-2007, 13:01
Did a resort course in Cozumel with other Family members. Loved it. Also it was somthing hubby and I could do together. He took up skydiving for awhile, but I wouldn't do that.

Netsloth
10-16-2007, 13:09
Grew up around the water, living in Florida. Fished on it and such, and swam, but I wanted to know what was under the surface. After high school, I got certified, but I was poor, and it kind of dropped off the radar.

Now I've the fever again.

Now I want to dive wrecks.

mm2002
10-16-2007, 17:58
I've wanted to dive since I was a little kid, but at 44, the time (and finances) was finally right. Throughout my life, I could be cruising TV channels, and whenever there was a show on with diving, I was glued to it! I'm actually fulfilling a lifelong dream now, and that's way cooler than anything I've ever done on a whim. I'm so addicted now that it's just crazy. Winter is coming on, and the last three weekends have been our "last time to dive for the season". Haha! Next weekend we're going again. I'm already thinking about how I can do it all winter....man I'm hooked!

RoadRacer1978
10-16-2007, 18:01
Watching Jacques-Yves Cousteau documentaries as a child. Something about the sea and the creatures in it got me excited about being down there with them.

DiverJoe
03-04-2008, 12:38
I was about 5, went underwater and could'nt breathe. It tick'd me off.:smiley19:

I went to a dive shop when I got my first full-time jobs at 14, asked to rent the gear, was told "NO!" (atleast until I was certified) so...I had to get certified, I'm a water nut! what can I say.

I'm not 5 or 14 anymore but...I can breath underwater, and be Peter Pan at the same time!

Skydiving and SCUBA diving, woo hoo!

Dive Safe All!~
DiverJoe

rye_a
03-04-2008, 12:41
A group of us decided it would be fun when we were 14 years old, so we signed up (and our parents paid!)

cmburch
03-04-2008, 13:12
My dad dove. He also drank beer. He also had a motorcycle. And liked working on cars.

So I dive and also drink beer. And have motorcycles and work on cars.

pyre24
03-04-2008, 19:48
Ive always loved to watch water movies like abyss, deep star six, jaws deep blue sea, and others since i was a kid. Always wanted to know what it was like. When I was married several years ago, my wife said it was a waste of money and refused to let me, then i got her warmed up to it, had to do alot of things i didnt like for it, then I told my command i wanted to do it, they sent me to the desert. go figure. then when i moved backed to illinois, i didnt know there was a dive shop near me, last year i found out and took the class. Loving it since. People still say its a waste of money, i tell them they are just scared to do it themselves. Im hoping to get Alina to try it next year. Hoping.

johnyringo
03-04-2008, 19:48
Sea Hunt!

Rockhound76
03-04-2008, 20:06
Jacques Yves Cousteau is the biggest reason. I loved his show and his books and it was because of him I pursued a career in marine science (eventually becoming an "offshore" geologist, but not a "real" marine scientist. Still, he started me down this path...)

I didn't learn to dive until I was 18 (32 years ago!), but I knew a lot about it, as I was a voracious reader. I was an avid free diver from age 7 or 8 and when I was 12, I made my first UW camera from an old Brownie Camera, a metal banded mask and a plastic bag. I think I read about how to do that in one of the old Cousteau/Dumas books on diving.

My mom took it away from me after she developed my first two rolls of film. It seems I spent an inappropriate amount of time shooting girls from below at the local pool. In particular, she objected to my shots of those those swimsuit adjusting, sometime swimsuit removing shots from beneath the high dive. I think my bottom time (breathhold) vastly approved after that short day of practice, but my other bottom time (sitting) was shortened for a while after dad (under mom's orders) got done with the proverbial woodshed adjustment...

strfish7
03-04-2008, 20:12
My son and I went on a little trip to Cancun when he was about 12 or so, and down the beach there was a little tiny 5-6 foot deep reef that we could snorkle in...he liked it so much that I got to thinking that it might be a good idea if we got certified. Boy that turned out good...we got to go on some awesome dive trips, during his "difficult" teenage years. For those who don't know, the best way to get through to an uncommunicative teenager is to take them on a trip...they sorta have to talk at some point, and the shared experience of diving really opened the lines of communication. Got nothing bad to say about the whole thing...one of the best decisions I ever made as a parent. :smiley20:

newways
03-04-2008, 20:13
college PE credit.

plot
03-05-2008, 17:31
pirate treasure

aaargh!

thecheeseman
03-05-2008, 18:09
it would have to be the TV shows, the youtubes. that convinced me...looked to exciting to resist

kat
03-17-2009, 00:16
The resort we went to for our honeymoon in 2000 included scuba diving. My husband and I were "resort certified" and completely enjoyed it and dove as often as they let us. We didn't get certified because we lived in the midwest and knew we wouldn't frequent the coast/saltwaters. 8 years later the "scuba bug" got us, after some research we found out about the different quarries and that there were passionate divers everywhere, not just near the saltwater. We are now one of those passionate divers.

setesh
03-17-2009, 00:38
My dad was a rescue diver for the Fire Department, and he would test out his equipment and do drills and such in our pool. One day when I was about 8 he showed me how to breathe out of a reg and did a few laps of the pool with me.....man, I was having diving dreams for weeks! That is still one of the coolest things I can remember from childhood. I've been absolutely hooked on diving since :smiley20: Dad's are great :smiley32:

reactive
03-17-2009, 02:17
Chicks dig it.

DJCAREY
03-17-2009, 03:54
Noodling

navyhmc
03-17-2009, 04:29
A scout show in 1971. I was looking around at all the stuff, stopped at the booth of an explorer crew that had very primitive dive gear laid out along with pictures frmo the Florida Keys. I was hooked from that moment. Certified in 1974 and the rest is history.

I can't say I never looked back because all I have to do is go down stairs and look at some of my old stuff: first reg: Nemrod SnarkII next to a Nemrod Meteor.

DivingAnarchy.info
03-17-2009, 04:47
When I was about 7 years old I did some attempts salvaging Atlantis from the pond behind my parent’s house. I used a rope with lifting hooks made out of old clothes hangers. My parents decided to help me a bit in my salvaging career by letting me join a dive club when I was 12 years old.
At the age of 14 I got CMAS certified.

julz
03-17-2009, 08:29
i drove my a billboard offering lessons every day and thought it sounded like fun

Lulubelle
03-17-2009, 08:31
Looking death in the face, not dying, and making a conscious decision to start living my "bucket list" a bit early. I had always been curious about diving before, but someone had not gotten around to it.

highdesert
03-17-2009, 21:19
Another "Sea Hunt" here, along with Jacques Cousteau's book, "The Silent World."

SEMO Scuba
03-18-2009, 12:36
My wife and I snorkeled while vacationing with a diving couple for a few years. Two years ago in Grand Cayman I did two 'Try Scuba' shore dives. We didn't get below 35'. It was great! I got certified last year. I really wish I had done that years ago. It is a very liberating feeling swimming with the fishes.

clararhb
03-18-2009, 21:07
A good friend of mine would vacation once a year and dive. We talked it really sounded like fun. Never did anything about it though. When I did a cruise and saw that I could dive at three ports I had to do it. Got certified and the rest is history.

USF_Diver
03-18-2009, 21:14
Face my fears of going underwater goes back to when I was a little kid, loved the water just didn't like going underwater. Bad experience with a swim class when I was 4 or 5. Love diving underwater now

CompuDude
03-18-2009, 23:07
http://www.h2ogeek.com/misc/1965%20Geo%20Ed%20Scuba%20on%20our%20boat%20(Small ).jpg

That's my father, gearing up to dive in 1965.

There's your inspiration right there. ;)

emt
03-21-2009, 20:23
My inspiration was a friend had a boat & invited me. Pretty simple for me, Sure let's go.

MxDiver
03-21-2009, 21:34
There is an encyclopedia my parents bought, "El mundo submarino" "The undersea world" an account of the Cousteau trips.
This thread actually made me go back and look trough it. It is full of the most amazing pictures I have ever seen, It brough memories from when I was 9 years old and imagined myself diving. That was my inspiration.

Glub000
03-21-2009, 22:24
To heck with Jaques Cousteau, it was Jacquline Bisset in "The Deep" that inspired me. Actually, I took a college course in 1980 and never paid the $25 for the certification. Twentyfour years later I was certified with both of my kids. Now I love it and kinda kick myself. Oh well plenty of time left to see the world.

CPTOZZY
03-21-2009, 23:33
As a Child I swam so much I thought I was Part Fish - My mom told me I was and, being a child, I believed her

years later, on my Honeymoon in Austraalia I went Snorkeling and I saw divers below me. I managed to get down to them, but had to pop right up (Got hellacious mask squeeze too) I Vowed that next time I was in Warm Water I would learn to dive.

The rest is History

heydn62
03-21-2009, 23:42
Snorkeling in Cozumel and seeing divers way down below us and thinking "that is so cool".

Oli
03-22-2009, 08:17
Scuba was one of those things on a list of stuff I wanted to try, started a course when in college at the local YMCA in 1975 but didn't have the money to finish open waters or buy equipment. After college, marriage, and 2 kids a dive shop finally opened in my town and my bride said why don't you check it out and the rest is history:smiley31:

heydn62
03-23-2009, 11:01
After college, marriage, and 2 kids a dive shop finally opened in my town and my bride said why don't you check it out and the rest is history:smiley31:

Sounds like a keeper!

Straegen
03-23-2009, 11:08
Bought a reef aquarium and really got into learning and keeping corals, fish, inverts and such. Then sold it cause it was driving me nuts (I am OCD) and costing a fortune. I still wanted to see the cool critters so I decided to take the plunge... it is also nicer that I found a "hobby" that is cheaper than reef tanks with many of the same benefits and way more fun.

MxDiver
03-23-2009, 12:05
Ask the tech guys if it is cheaper :smiley36:
I am looking into it and the costs really add up.

Straegen
03-23-2009, 13:26
Not even close even with full tech gear. My monthly costs for salt, testing kits, electricity, part replacements, water, etc were around $300-$400 and that doesn't include equipment costs or having a guy come in and clean it a couple times a month. I sold my tank took the money, bought a new motorcycle, 6' bar setup to replace it, went on a vacation and still had some cash left over for some home improvement projects. I could have bought a couple high end rebreathers and all the tech gear for what I had in my reef tank.

Some SPS corals easily fetch $100 plus per inch. High end reef tanks are ridiculously expensive. You can do reef tanks on the "cheap" but you will likely be over 10k in a year for even a low end SPS colony tank. Some shots of my tank (roughly 150 corals and about 75 colonies):

http://www.cameroncole.net/mypics/Aquarium/2008-02_Aquarium_9th/HPIM4186.JPG

http://www.cameroncole.net/mypics/Aquarium/2008-02_Aquarium_9th/HPIM4177.JPG

http://www.cameroncole.net/mypics/Aquarium/2007-06_Misc/IMG_3379.JPG

CompuDude
03-23-2009, 15:25
NICE tanks! Beautiful!

PS: Girls are fun, too.

LOL

<kidding>

MxDiver
03-23-2009, 15:42
Awesome tanks Straegen!

Pandora
03-23-2009, 17:37
shawn and i had been on two trips one to Playa and one to the bahamas. We snorkled and thought diving would be fun. He won a trip to Kaui and we deceided to get our OW for the trip.

We were hooked from the first dive. Now one of our daughter dives with us with the other to be certified soon.

It was one of the best choices we ever made!

fanatique
03-25-2009, 00:01
Your tanks are beautiful, Straegen.

For me, honestly, it was for "easy" college credits. But dammit, am I hooked.