PDA

View Full Version : Special Equipment for Nitrox?

James
09-24-2007, 21:34
I do not have my OW yet (class is this weekend) so excuse my ignorance if this is common knowledge...

Do you need a certain regulator for nitrox? The reason I ask is becasue I have seen some things that say "nitrox ready", but have not found an explination of what that means.

I purchased the Tusa Regulator package (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PackageTusaReg) from ST, will that let me dive nitrox if I decide to go further with diving?

ScubaToys Larry
09-24-2007, 21:47
No problem at all. Any reg can be used for nitrox levels up to 40%, and 99.9% of all the nitrox you will probably ever do will be 32%. Fear not... you're good!

subsur
09-24-2007, 21:47
in you're talking about regulators, then they all are ok with Nitrox up to 40%. some brands are marketed as Nitrox ready (They might use different material O-rings (urethane made Viton rings as opposed to Buna rubber rings)). it reality any reg will be fine to up to 40% O2.

subsur
09-24-2007, 21:48
larry beat me on the posting, it's always frustrating - he must be typing very fast. well, at least we agree on the answer.

James
09-25-2007, 14:29
Thanks for the quick reply.
So air is air then will my other equipment also do okay with nitrox.
I doubt my BC bladder will care much, but will I need a different pressure guage?

I already have the M2 wrist computer (great deal from ST - thanks, Joe).
Will I need to get an oxygen analyzer or is that done at the shop where they fill it? If so, I may not be getting that cert. for a long time. I just spent all my money on the initial setup.

ianr33
09-25-2007, 14:47
The only bit of gear that might need special treatment is your tank.

If you get "partial pressure" nitrox fills then your tank needs to be O2 cleaned.

If the nitrox is banked then any tank will do

In practice most people diving nitrox will have O2 cleaned tanks so that they can be filled anywhere

If you are renting tanks the you have nothing to worry about.Just use your regular gear.

ravenfish
09-27-2007, 10:26
but always analyze your nitrox tank at the shop and make sure it is the mix you requested.

Vercingetorix
09-27-2007, 11:00
Will I need to get an oxygen analyzer or is that done at the shop where they fill it? If so, I may not be getting that cert. for a long time. I just spent all my money on the initial setup.The shop you fill at will have an oxygen analyzer available for your use. You, and you alone, are responsible for verifying the contents of your tank. Now, is their analyzer accurate? Don't know. So, folks that use Nitrox constantly purchase their own. When you fill your tank, you will first calibrate the analyzer, then, take your measurement of the tank contents.