PDA

View Full Version : Info on NC diving

Clernix
11-04-2014, 09:32
I just bought a set of strobes of a guy in NC. We started chatting a bit about the diving in NC by Moorehead City. I looked it up on line and it sounds pretty good.

He was giving reports of up to 100 ft vis in the summer. He did mention in the past couple years its been around 70ft, still sounds pretty good.

Has anyone dove this area and has some info to share? There are some pretty cool wrecks in the area.

comet24
11-06-2014, 21:11
I've dived that area many times. 100ft vis. maybe a few times. 50' often. 10' yep been there. It's varies. NC can be some of the best diving you're ever do and it can be some of the worst **** you've ever seen.

The worst conditions I've dived in sea wise have been in NC. I've also been out to the meg ledge, about 3.5 hours offshore and it was deed calm, not a ripple on the water.

Great wrecks with lots of history. Want to see lots of sharks there are wrecks where your see 100 sharks all over the thing. If you have the chance go.

Clernix
11-10-2014, 16:53
That's pretty much what I am hearing too. Have to plan it in. The info I am getting is the best months are Jul-Sept. Does that match up with your dives?

fire diver
11-11-2014, 10:21
I would love to be able to do some diving off the Moorehead area! Lots of great wreck dives up there.

comet24
11-11-2014, 16:54
That's pretty much what I am hearing too. Have to plan it in. The info I am getting is the best months are Jul-Sept. Does that match up with your dives?

It varies. Summer seems to bring calmer weather and it will be warmer so more fun to dive. This past summer was very good. Just plan a trip and know it's always possible to get blown out. In the past six trips I've made only one was blown out. One was pretty rough, one was dead calm and the rest where somewhere in between. Once you get in the water and down on a wreck you'll be glad you went and want to come back.

Lulubelle
11-23-2014, 18:54
I have a place near Morehead and dive there a lot. In my opinion, it's the best diving in the world on a good day. And about the worst on a bad day. If you are diving within rec limits, the trips are long, and the dives are short. One can't cherry pick the weather too well though that's what I try to do since I am there anyway. July and August are good, sure. But that's also during hurricane season. You can easily dive a light wetsuit up through the end of October. One caveat I'd throw out is to book for enough days that if a few get blown out, you still get to dive. There is plenty to do there when the dive boat a can't go out.

cgvmer
11-25-2014, 15:05
I dove off Hatteras a couple years ago, great blue water diving lots of large pelagics, and wrecks.