PDA

View Full Version : Good dive shop/charter in Key Largo

nitrox_scuba_diver
09-25-2007, 06:31
Hello all,

I'm thinking about taking a trip to Key Largo in early October can anyone recommend a good dive operator to use in Key Largo? Iím looking for someone who only takes a max of 12-16 divers. Cattle boats need not apply. :smiley21: I also would like to rent steel tanks (95's) if that is possible.

Thank You

Divingguy
09-25-2007, 07:26
In Key Largo itself, contact Brent at Blue Water Divers, or Quiescence. BWD boat seats about 8-12, Q boats are pure 6 packs. In Islamorado, call Conch Republic divers. Gary has two sizes of boats. I have dived with all three. I do know that Q and CRD have nitrox, not sure about steel tanks. Jump on Scuba Board. Both BWD and CRD are very active over there in the Florida Conch forum.
Tom

squidlee1
09-25-2007, 10:18
No idea about the tank size but have used them twice and been very happy.

Capt Hook
09-25-2007, 10:49
Quiescence has neutral buoyancy AL 80s, note sure who has steels for rent.
Since they limit time for dives, most OPs use AL 80s.

dbsea
09-25-2007, 13:35
I recently went with "Dive-In" on their 6-pack boat---it never had more than 4 divers when I went in July. Nice & fast boat with twin Yamahas. Not bad for $70, 2-tank dive. Call them for steel tanks & they can likely get them from one of their locations. Their phone is 800-226-0415 & their location is:
Cristal Clear Charters – Dive In
80 E. Second Street, MM 97.5 Oceanside
Rock Harbor

Iceman
09-25-2007, 14:00
Just returned from Key Largo. Dove with Rainbow Reef. This is the 3rd time with them. As before they were competent, cooperative and professional. Plus, their rates were very reasonable.

You might want to check them out.

SYOTABUCS
09-27-2007, 15:20
We have used Silent World several times. They have a very good price on a 3 or 5 trip package.

Tell them (Chris, Alison and Pat) Randy and Angie said "HEY"

khacken
09-28-2007, 18:58
I highly recommend Silent Divers. They have small numbers of divers and let you do your own thing. All they ask is that you are on the boat on time. One note, my dives were not guided so I don't know if it is extra for a guide or not. I prefer to do my own thing, so I thought this was a plus. However, new divers may want a guide along for safety's sake, but they may be a surcharge.

I have also dove with Ocean Divers and they are very friendly, but they have too many divers on the boat for my tastes.

FyVe
09-30-2007, 20:23
i went with Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center. Awesome experience. Fun crew, and if you get to go with capt.slate himself, he burps out loud and all the bad sailor stuff for authenticity.
i did a feeding dive and it was INCREDIBLE.... very very very nice reefs. if i were you i'd def. try the feeding dive. you get to hold a 7-8 ft nurse shark :) lol.

sidneydiver
09-30-2007, 20:31
Big vote for Conch Republic Divers. I have dove with them twice and they are excellent!

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 20:33
amy slates amoray
conch republic
and some pirate something that i cant quite remember.

cudachaser
09-30-2007, 21:01
Scuba-Do is really nice

kancho
11-05-2007, 23:36
So I shouldn't be dissapointed with Rainbow Reef? I am planning to go end of Nov/Dec

Zenagirl
11-06-2007, 07:21
Rainbow Reef puts DM's in the water as a standard. If you don't want a guide, you have to specify that. The price difference is small.

kancho
12-12-2007, 12:29
I would wish rainbow reef would pick up their phone.. I called 3 times and I got their answering machine 3 times. I didn't leave a message though.. They have a nitrox special. Anyone try that?

divingchef
12-12-2007, 12:53
i worked at the Boy Scout Sea Base (a long time ago!) and with the few people I still have contact with, they dive with keydives....out of the Bud and Mary's complex in Islamorada.

Islamorada Diving - Scuba Charter/Shop Key Dives (http://www.keydives.com)

good luck finding the right match!

teog
12-12-2007, 18:54
The mrs and I dove with Conch Republic divers this past summer. We took our aow and had a great time. The shop was friendly, with a big plus for the boat capt.

zzzScuba
12-13-2007, 21:23
Horizon Divers, which can be found at: Scuba Diving Key Largo Florida Diving Upper Keys Snorkeling (http://www.horizondivers.com/)
or
Amy Slate's Amoray Dive, which can be found at: Amoray Home Page (http://www.amoray.com/)

We've dove with both operations. Horizon has a relationship with the Best Western (next door) and can get pretty good rates. Amy Slate's has their own accomodations.

Both are decent dive operations.

Goober
12-13-2007, 21:30
Have always, and constantly hear good things about Gary at Conch Republic.:smiley20:

Garrobo
12-18-2007, 07:46
I think that you will find that Horizon has a deal with Ramada, not Best Western. Last time I dove with them the room rate for a single was $84. I also dove with Sea Dweller who had a hookup with Holiday Inn at $114. Worked out nicely. Only had a 50 foot walk from my room to their boat. On Islamorada I have been diving with Key Dives lately and stay in a nearby motel. Great outfit to dive with.