PDA

View Full Version : Afrin

Keiths
09-25-2007, 06:40
Anyone use Afrin or any other nasal spray before diving?

RECDiver
09-25-2007, 08:54
I used too a long time ago, but I wouldn't recommend it. The problem is if you use it too much you get a rebound effect. In other words, your sinuses get worse. I use a single 30mg Sudafed, if I need it for diving. I usually need it here in Texas, but not in the Caribbean. You might check with your pharmacist on what they would recommend for you.

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 15:25
Also if you do use something get it long lasting. If you go down and the meds wear off then things can go south pretty quick. If you ever get a reverse squeeze you will know it.

mm_dm
09-25-2007, 16:32
I had a reverse hit me once on the way up from a deep dive. Felt like someone had driven a nail into one of my sinus cavities...but after awhile it wore off and the pain subsided. If you have allergy problems you can get a script for the sprays...they work pretty good and last longer than the over the counter versions. It's not something I'd recommend a steady diet of, but here in south Texas there are times of the year when it's hard not to, especially during the cedar season.

wxboy911
09-25-2007, 18:22
I take sudagfed before every dive and I keep some extra in my save a dive kit. It works pretty well.

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 20:00
I had a reverse hit me once on the way up from a deep dive. Felt like someone had driven a nail into one of my sinus cavities...but after awhile it wore off and the pain subsided. If you have allergy problems you can get a script for the sprays...they work pretty good and last longer than the over the counter versions. It's not something I'd recommend a steady diet of, but here in south Texas there are times of the year when it's hard not to, especially during the cedar season.

They aren't fun at all. I friend of mine had one in a tooth, or at least the tooth area. She said that she would rather had been shot. They do goa way but it is something that I could do without.

Damselfish
09-25-2007, 20:30
yeah reverse blocks suck, you don't want to go there - much worse not being able to come up, than not being able to get down.

thesmoothdome
09-25-2007, 21:37
I used to use Afrlin and Sudafed when I was instructing. It's hard to bail on dives when a class is counting on you and it's better to be open than congested. Even so, it's not something I would recommend. IF you HAVE to make the dive, it's an option, but like others have said, there's some serious issues to consider. The bounceback sucks and reverse squeezes can totally blow.

I do carry both Afrin and Sudafed in my save-a-dive kit and when I travel, but it's really a last resort.

caroln
09-25-2007, 22:12
I use a saline nasal spray before diving. It's not medicated so there's nothing to wear off during the dive, but it does help clear out any bad stuff in your nose as well as keeping your nasal passages moistened. I also rinse out my sinuses with a saline rinse the morning of a dive. This was recommended by my ENT who is also a DAN doctor. I have pretty bad allergies and haven't had any issues following this routine.

divingyogini
09-26-2007, 10:45
I use a saline nasal spray before diving. It's not medicated so there's nothing to wear off during the dive, but it does help clear out any bad stuff in your nose as well as keeping your nasal passages moistened. I also rinse out my sinuses with a saline rinse the morning of a dive. This was recommended by my ENT who is also a DAN doctor. I have pretty bad allergies and haven't had any issues following this routine.

I have severe allergies and swear by the saline nasal rinsing. This seems bizarre at first, but if you think about it - the congestion is in your nose, so it makes sense to flush out the nasal passages to relieve the congestion or to remove the allergens that are causing you to react. I use a neti pot for it:
http://www.bytheplanet.com/ingr/ingr025300.cfm

It looks weird, feels even weirder at first, but eventually you get use to it and it works really well.

caroln
09-26-2007, 11:15
I have severe allergies and swear by the saline nasal rinsing. This seems bizarre at first, but if you think about it - the congestion is in your nose, so it makes sense to flush out the nasal passages to relieve the congestion or to remove the allergens that are causing you to react. I use a neti pot for it:

It looks weird, feels even weirder at first, but eventually you get use to it and it works really well.

I've seen a few posts now about the neti pot, so it must be something good. I'm going to order it and give it a try. I use the regular Ayr kind that you can buy in the drug store now.

Theepdinker
09-26-2007, 12:13
I use a neti pot for it:
My wife does the same thing when allergies are bothering her.

Theep

dallasdivergirl
09-26-2007, 12:56
My doctor gave me a prescription of Afrin with ladican (sp?). It works really well but I will only take it when absolutely necessary. My headache will go away immediately.

99% of the time the saline rinse works immediately.

Charlotte Smith
09-26-2007, 13:06
Wow I didn't know there was a Lidocaine Afrin....I bet that does work well....but a numb face would be a little strange.

dallasdivergirl
09-26-2007, 13:28
Wow I didn't know there was a Lidocaine Afrin....I bet that does work well....but a numb face would be a little strange.

Actually it's a spray so it only numbs the sinus cavity. I have a very deviated septum (all of my ent's have been impressed at the angle) and when I am congested I can grab my nose between my eyes and "wiggle" it to relieve the pressure. When I do use the spray I just hit the left side (the one that the nose is digging in on) with a blast and the numbing relieves the "touching" pain almost instantly. I can have headaches for months on end from sinus issues. One of the best things I was get Sinus Survival (http://www.sinussurvival.com/book.html). It is a wealth of knowledge and facts. I used to take several courses of antibiotics a year and it's been two years since I have last taken any more pills.

divingyogini
09-27-2007, 09:48

I've seen a few posts now about the neti pot, so it must be something good. I'm going to order it and give it a try. I use the regular Ayr kind that you can buy in the drug store now.

Here's a bit of advice. We like to use a Pyrex cup to mix the water and salt in first. We set our microwave on high for about 30 seconds to heat the water in the Pyrex, then add the salt (about 1/3 teaspoon). The salt is to make it a similar ph to your mucous. The water should not be hot, but just warm. Then after mixing, pour it into the neti, as it's hard to mix in the pot. Also, REALLY tilt your head sideways when you do it so the water drains out the other nostril. Have some tissues next to you, as it is messy, but it works really well.

caroln
09-27-2007, 12:49
Here's a bit of advice. We like to use a Pyrex cup to mix the water and salt in first. We set our microwave on high for about 30 seconds to heat the water in the Pyrex, then add the salt (about 1/3 teaspoon). The salt is to make it a similar ph to your mucous. The water should not be hot, but just warm. Then after mixing, pour it into the neti, as it's hard to mix in the pot. Also, REALLY tilt your head sideways when you do it so the water drains out the other nostril. Have some tissues next to you, as it is messy, but it works really well.

Thanks for the tip. I'm used to the messy effect since I'm already doing a different rinse. With the one I use now, I have to boil the water, make the mix, and then let it cool. The microwave is much more convenient. I checked the drugstore near work and they sell the neti refills, but not the neti pot. Looks like I'll have to order it.