PDA

View Full Version : Stomach and chest issues while diving

CastlesMadeOfSand
02-06-2015, 12:37
Hello all,
As a beginning diver, I have had a concern while diving. I have been experiencing chest and stomach pains while and after diving (lasting up to 5 days). And every time I get in the water, my stomach gets nauseous and most often upchuck. Indeed, this is embarrassing to admit as well as display to all the professional divers around me. At least the fish like it....

Has anyone ever had this experience as well, or may know what the cause of it was? The wetsuit I had was rented, and may have been a bit too tight on my tummy, though I don't think that would be the issue for the stomach and chest. Maybe I surfaced too fast?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

scubadiver888
02-06-2015, 13:38
If you surfaced too fast that can be a serious issue. The longer you are down and the faster you surface the bigger the risk of decompression sickness (DCS). So hopefully that is not the issue.

Wearing a wetsuit which is too tight can also cause a lot of issues. If the wetsuit is too tight it can affect blood flow which could have a lot of different effects.

Your best bet is to ask Divers Alert Network (DAN). You can find their contact information at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/contact/. Either call the main line or send them an email. Calling the main line is the best bet because they'll want to hear your voice and might ask a few follow up questions. They gather a lot of data on this subject and have a much higher chance of knowing what is going on. I've never used the service but I've been told it is free. Also, if you are fine and there is no serious problem it won't hurt to call them but if you are seriously injuring yourself, they will be able to help you get the proper medical attention. Better safe than sorry.

There really are dozens of possible reasons you could be having this experience. Without a little back and forth conversation it would be difficult to diagnose.

PACKRMAN
02-07-2015, 19:41
I have called DAN several times to ask dive specific questions. I don't remember them ever asking for my DAN number, they just very professionally answer my question. I would recommend calling them, if anyone knows it is them.

CastlesMadeOfSand
02-11-2015, 10:41
Thank you guys. It is indeed a concern I have and makes me a bit nervous to head back in the water and dive again. Hopefully it was just nerves as a beginning diver that I can calm with more dives.