PDA

View Full Version : hoseless air intergrated watches ?

Lucky(AR)
07-15-2007, 00:55
Whats up everybody ...im a male from arkansas who has just took up diving and loving it...i have been almost every weekend for the last 2 months. we are planning a dive trip to lake norfork in about 3 weeks it should be pretty cool alot of small wrecks and cool stuff to see.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>just wandering peoples opinion out there on the hosless air intergrated watch computers....which one, worth the money,pro and cons ?</DIV>

Foo2
07-15-2007, 01:37
Unfortunately I don't know anything about your question but I wanted to welcome you to the board!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-15-2007, 01:39
thank you

medic001918
07-15-2007, 06:27
First, welcome to the forum. You actually could have made two posts out of this. One an introduction, and two in the computer's section where it would probably get some more attention.
<DIV>
For open water diving, the hoseless integrated computers tend to work well. Just be careful of a transmitter failure. The method I'm more content with is a regular wrist mounted computer with an SPG (submersible pressure gauge). This allows a rather reliable means of monitoring pressure in your tank, and saves the money of an expensive transmitter. There have been cases of transmitters getting damaged during a dive from striking anything from wrecks to caves to trees under the surface. As far as which is best, that's like asking what the best tasting soda is...everyone has an opinion. It depends on what features you're looking to use. Do you dive nitrox? If not, will you ever? Do you ever think you mgiht do decompression diving? How much are you willing to spend? Shop around and ask questions of people who have used the computers you happen to be interested in.</DIV>
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

frankc420
07-15-2007, 11:19
Going wireless is great! Although the only benefit you get is tissue loading and that can sometimes cut your dive short, but that's not always a bad thing! Since you can see your tissue loading you have less of a chance of getting bent. So, go with wireless, you won't regret it!

Btw, welcome to the board!

Ajuva
07-16-2007, 16:49
Welcome to the board.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I recently bought the Oceanic atom 2 with trans and have not had a single problem.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Must agree with medic001918 (http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=38&FID=3)also run a back up SPG.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ajuva</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 19:14
thanks for your imput i dont dive nitrox yet but am intresting in learning more about it ..i just like the fact of doing away with another hose i have an air 2 and with that wrist computer i think would just be nice but i have heard with the d9 sometimes has problems with the watch sensing the transmitter...but i am open to all advice and opions....thanks

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 19:16
thanks the atom 2.0 was actually the one i was leaning to because it will pick up more the one transmitter.

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 19:16
thanks for the welcome and the advise
<DIV></DIV>

Judestudio
07-17-2007, 08:04
Welcome to the board.
<div></div>
<div>I recently bought the Oceanic atom 2 with trans and have not had a single problem.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Must agree with medic001918</font> (http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=38&FID=3)also run a back up SPG.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Ajuva</div>
Great advise. I will get an exact same setup....Atom 2.0 + SPG backup.

TommyB
07-17-2007, 08:23
Welcome to the board.

<div>I recently bought the Oceanic atom 2 with trans and have not had a single problem.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Must agree with medic001918</font> (http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=38&FID=3)also run a back up SPG.</div>

<div>Ajuva</div>

Yep, pretty much same dive-puter Areis Epic T3.
Just waiting on the Tusa SCA-210 to arrive at the shop so I can go get it.
Compass + SPG . Wanted the backup SPG also incase the wireless failed.
http://www.tusa.com/instrum/SCA-210_A.jpg

ertechsg
07-17-2007, 08:39
I use a VT PRO and love it.Streamline I have 2 hoses comming off my 1st stage less to deal with during setup and while diving.Ialways dive with a buddy so don't need a back up system.

MagnaBoxer
07-17-2007, 14:17
My wife is using a VT Pro and I have the Atom 2.0. We've each logged about 25 dives with them and so far no problem.

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 10:36
just got a steal on a hoseless aeries atmos elite so i guess this is the one i will be using will let everybody know how i like it

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 14:41
just got a steal on a hoseless aeries atmos elite so i guess this is the one i will be using will let everybody know how i like it

I have the same computer. I like the download feature so I don't have to write anything down and can log it all later. It is interesting to watch my SAC rate differences on various dives and in general to watch it go down as I get more experience. I also notice my dive profiles becoming more clean on the graphs too.

Lucky(AR)
07-25-2007, 23:52
the guy backed out on me so i have bought an oceanic vt pro

Lucky(AR)
07-29-2007, 09:22
may be a dumb question..but i can t figure out how to turn off the vt pro ? are do you just have to let in shut itself off ?

GordoninNM
08-02-2007, 02:49
If your VT pro is anything like my VT3, and I suspect it is, you can't turn it off. It will turn itself off after 2 hrs if in surface mode with no dives made. I believe this is so that the computer cannot inadvertantly lose repetitive dive info for a series of dives in progress, because somebody hit the wrong button. My computer stays on after diving until fly time is zero, and I'm theoretically fully outgassed.

Gordo

Lucky(AR)
08-02-2007, 23:27
your right that was it thanks

Longhorn
08-07-2007, 05:41
Hello everyone. What do you think of the Suunto D9 or the Suunto Vytek DS?

Centerius
08-08-2007, 11:14
I dive the VT3 with wireless transmitter and I love it.

cummings66
08-08-2007, 11:52
Yeah, but as a watch it's a bit large. I belive myself that if I wanted a watch I'd wear a watch and if I want a dive computer then I'll wear a dive computer.

Live2Dive Skate2Live
08-09-2007, 23:52
I bought the Aeris Elite T3 in February and I really like it. I've only logged 24 dives with it so far but I haven't had any trouble with it. It's nice to just look at your wrist to get all of your dive info.

coral-hugger
08-27-2007, 22:25
After way too much research, I also got the Oceanic VT Pro. I think it's no longer being sold by Oceanic (but it is supported), so you can get a good price on this. (The Atom display was too small for me to glance at quickly.)

If you like a wrist comp, it's great to have everything on one display. I also back it up with the Tusa analog air gauge.

Never had trouble with the wireless transmitter.

Buy spare batteries, though, for the comp and transmitter both!

ian
08-27-2007, 23:41
Although the only benefit you get is tissue loading and that can sometimes cut your dive short, but that's not always a bad thing! Since you can see your tissue loading you have less of a chance of getting bent.

Huh?

I dive with a Suunto Vytek DS. I love being wireless. My first computer was a Sherwwod Wisdom (air integrated - hosed console). It's way too big to wear as a watch, but it makes a great dive computer!

It takes some getting used to "coding" the Vytek before you get your BC on, though.:smiley29:

ScaredSilly
08-28-2007, 09:24
Cummings66 is my alter ego as we seem to share many of the same ideas.

If I want to look like a scuba dork I will wear my D3. If just want to look like a regular dork I will wear my dress watch. :D

As for the comparison between the D9 and Vytec DS. I skipped the D6/D9 cause they are big watches and small dive computers. Also I do not think the built in compass is that functional underwater (this goes for the Cobra2 and Vyper2). Another person likes it on land but not underwater.

I use the VytecDS for rec and tec diving. Nice little unit. Unless you doing tec diving I would probably go with the Vyper. The Ai is nice and I do use it but I could live without it and I do on some dives.

GordoninNM
08-30-2007, 00:01
"Yeah, but as a watch it's a bit large. I belive myself that if I wanted a watch I'd wear a watch and if I want a dive computer then I'll wear a dive computer."

I'm 48 years old, and dive with contacts. I like the easy to read and very complete display on my VT3. The smaller watch sized computers were not nearly as easy to read for me particularly with a screen full of important data. I want my dive data all to be readable and unambiguous at a quick glance, even under conditions of imperfect visibility. I've got a Tag Heuer Auquaracer on the other wrist as a backup bottom timer, and it's what I wear when I want a watch topsides. It's a much better watch (because that's what it is, a watch) than any crossover dive computer, and I never have to worry that I've run down the batteries on my dive computer by wearing it out to dinner.

YMMV,

Gordo

Aussie
08-30-2007, 07:15
I have a Suunto D9 and Vytec (non ds) and also an old Aladin pro. I think the Transmitter is a expensive extra which you really dont need. Save the money by not getting a transmitter and put it towards a second computer with the same algorithm.
I would never dive with only a transmitter. I have seen many people doing this.
I always have a qood quality Glass/Brass SPG.

Aussie

Lowrider
11-05-2007, 07:03
I dive with the D9 with transmitter and for a backup I use a Oceanic Veo with a hose. I like the convience of just looking at the D9 with the Oceanic safely tucked into the pocket of my BC (good piece of mind incase something goes wrong with D9 or tansmitter, batteries die). I have used the compass on the D9 a number of times underwater and have had no problems with it.

Puffer Fish
11-05-2007, 08:11
I dive with the D9 with transmitter and for a backup I use a Oceanic Veo with a hose. I like the convience of just looking at the D9 with the Oceanic safely tucked into the pocket of my BC (good piece of mind incase something goes wrong with D9 or tansmitter, batteries die). I have used the compass on the D9 a number of times underwater and have had no problems with it.
Given the differences in those two computers, you must be diving to the D9...do others you dive with have Suunto computers also??

Netsloth
11-05-2007, 08:38
I looked at a watch-style AI computer. I ended up with a larger AI wrist-mount (the Oceanic VT-3) for a few reasons:

1. Easier to read
2. I already have a nice dive watch with depth meter, which is a handy backup
3. None of the watch-computers looked like a watch I would otherwise wear

I love my VT-3 to death. Buddy check is handy, even if you do have to be practically humping your dive buddy to be in range.