PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Phone

TX SCUBA FAMILY
09-25-2007, 13:18
Has anyone heard of the Buddy Phone? and does it work?

Vercingetorix
09-25-2007, 13:23
this (http://www.scubacenter.com/scubacenter_onlinestore/full_face_masks/OTS_Underwater_Communications_Equipment.htm)

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 13:33
Used one in a pool during a demo days. It was nice for the right situation but for just diving...nay. I like the peace and quiet of diving. If you want my attention you should be able to reach over and touch me.

divingmedic
09-25-2007, 14:50
Wow that is a costly thing, I will stick with hand signals and a rattler.

wxboy911
09-25-2007, 18:18
An expensive toy I doubt I would get much use out of-I kind of like the sound of the bubbles.

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 20:04
A friend of mine bought one for him and one for his wife. After the first dive I turned it off. He thought it was a great idea until she wouldn't shut up underwater.

DiverBry
09-25-2007, 22:01
There were times I wish my buddy and I had them... the viz can get to virtually nothing at times in the DFW lakes... if you lose sight of your buddy, it can be reassuring to hear a reply that they are ok, so you can coordinate getting back together.

danielh03
09-26-2007, 00:46
this (http://www.scubacenter.com/scubacenter_onlinestore/full_face_masks/OTS_Underwater_Communications_Equipment.htm)

My rescue squad has one, were taking it out for the first time on oct. 7. i will let you know how we like it

divingmedic
09-26-2007, 04:42
A friend of mine bought one for him and one for his wife. After the first dive I turned it off. He thought it was a great idea until she wouldn't shut up underwater.
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: Man give voice to woman under water and she is going to use it. ( now I am gonna get into trouble for even saying this :smiley2:)

Tod
09-26-2007, 16:38

I just about shot my Diet Pepsi out through my nose when I read this, it was exactly what I was thinking! :D

ertechsg
09-26-2007, 16:45
Read carfully A FRIEND .. then I turned it off.. now tell the truth the friend was you right

BSea
09-26-2007, 16:51
I used 1 in a pool also. I liked the full face mask better than I thought I would. It seemed very natural to breath through your nose. It could be a problem for people that have trouble clearing their ears, but I didn't have any trouble in the pool. The big thing is the cost. I don't see spending that kind of money just to talk underwater.

I do think if they could ever get the cost & reliability to a level that the average diver would purchase it, I'd be all for it. I think before it would be mainstream, it would have to be like a CB, so you could tune to a certain frequency/channel. That way you could talk to your buddy, or buddies. And your buddy this dive might not be your buddy your next dive, so you would need to be able to adjust as you go.

mdwestgrl
09-30-2007, 21:43
I think it would be handy in low visibility especially. I like the peace and quiet underwater also, but would be nice to be able to say something to my buddy or husband if needed or wanted.

Kidder
09-30-2007, 21:54
Its a pretty pricy bit of equipment, but if you are going to go for the full face mask any way. It might be a good idea. That kind of comunication in an emergency situation could be pretty valuable.