PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light

Scubakraut
09-25-2007, 14:05
Bought a Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light a year ago. Only used once and now when replacing the battieries, the switch inside broke off and I can't get the light to work again. Called you friendly folks at Scubatoys and I'll mail it back to have it checked out and hopefully replaced or repaired properly. Seems that switch assy is made a little cheapo :)

divingmedic
09-25-2007, 14:10
I am trying to get my 250 post's before my dive trip in Dec, cuz I need a new primary light. :D

Scubakraut
09-25-2007, 14:18
I like the Canister lights but they are really expensive. I wish that switch assembly on a +100US$ light wasn't made so cheap with a metal clip over a switchboard that falls off when you screw the top back on. At least secure it maybe with Epoxy or wire a real switch to the handle.

RECDiver
09-26-2007, 21:53
Interesting. The on/off switch on my son's PT Shockwaves also broke. I have had the light a year. I have not ordered a replacement assy yet.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-26-2007, 22:18
Interesting, i have one of these lights too.

CrzyJay456
09-27-2007, 05:47
the switch just "broke" all of the sudden? thats awkward. was there ever a recall on these lights? or is it a just poor design?

WV Diver
09-27-2007, 06:14
Here is a thread discussing best lights and why. May help you decide on your next light.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=2043

skdvr
09-27-2007, 07:10
I to have the PT shockwave light. I have had mine for a little less than a year and I have used it a lot with no problems. Hopefully I will not have any problems. The switch on mine seems to be very sturdy so maybe they made a change to them. I bet you will get a new one from them...

Phil

thesmoothdome
09-27-2007, 08:16
Funny, I bought 2 at the same time and one, naturally the one I didn't check, had a broken switch. Seems like there's a weak spot on the design. The working one is great though :)

Scubakraut
09-27-2007, 12:32
yes I think it is a weak design. But that is my opinion. It is not ST fault. I'm looking forward to a replacement though. The light was used once and as soon as I changed batteries and screwed the top back on, the switch broke.

Charlotte Smith
09-27-2007, 12:45
I also have this light and it was the one I turned off during the night dive at Lake Norfork...has made me think alot about the problems stated here although I was never in any danger (except for being a little scared of the dark) I vow not to turn it off again.....even if my buddies are telling me that I am going to run the batteries down by leaving it on when I am down.

DarkCoffee
09-27-2007, 14:37
Been there with the Princeton eLED head and its switch. In my case it looked like the head was misaligned when screwing on the lens cover. This put the soldered slide switch up against some part of the body and in effect pried the slide switch apart.

ST shipped me a new head the next day (thanks guys) and the light has been great since.

Scubakraut
09-28-2007, 14:38
Thank you guys from Scubatoys! you rock. I received my replacement light today. Works great, hope I have better luck with this one.

Soonerwink
09-28-2007, 19:22
Princeton Tec warrants this light for life and they have outstanding customer service. I have had a shockwave LED for a couple of years now and have never had a problem. I did have a problem with a XL Impact LED and PT sent me a new one batteries included and I didn't even have to pay shipping.

DZorn00
09-29-2007, 19:48
my 250 post gift card will be going towards a light set up, or will it be a camera, man the choices....

rayandpam
09-29-2007, 20:44
Had mine for about a year now, switch is kind of stiff, haven't used it in the water yet but it's great for checking to see what the dogs are barking at after dark.

Kidder
09-29-2007, 20:48
I Have this light as well. Can't say that I'm happy to hear about the problem with the switch, but at least it looks like they take care of you any way.

Bring the Payne
09-30-2007, 21:27
I also use the PT led. Had in the water for 10 dives or so and havent had any problems but the switch does seem to be a little fragile.

Kidder
09-30-2007, 21:33
I also use the PT led. Had in the water for 10 dives or so and havent had any problems but the switch does seem to be a little fragile.

Yup its something I'm deffinitely going to be careful with. I love the light though, I dove with three other people who had non LED light while taking my advanced. I bet my light was twice as bright as thiers.

Zenagirl
10-01-2007, 07:21
We had fun comparing the color of our LED lights during a night dive on our liveaboard trip. We noticed that they were whiter than everything else out there, with some lights looking downright yellow.

(We don't have PT lights, ours are Nocturnal Lights.)

reservecops
10-01-2007, 12:43
I am trying to get my 250 post's before my dive trip in Dec, cuz I need a new primary light. :DWell, that's one way to do it ... :)

beenerachi
10-13-2007, 15:58
Princeton Tec warrants this light for life and they have outstanding customer service. I have had a shockwave LED for a couple of years now and have never had a problem. I did have a problem with a XL Impact LED and PT sent me a new one batteries included and I didn't even have to pay shipping.

I had 2 Tec400, both switches broke exactly the same way. PT replaced both without asking. It was annoying that they didn't just recall all of them, but perhaps this was more economical way to go. I like their lights, and I like their no-ask guarantee even better.

The only real complaint is me ---- I didn't secure my last PT to my BC properly and of course, I lost....I don't think PT will replace units for the idiots....:smiley29:

terrillja
10-14-2007, 13:59
I also have this light and it was the one I turned off during the night dive at Lake Norfork...has made me think alot about the problems stated here although I was never in any danger (except for being a little scared of the dark) I vow not to turn it off again.....even if my buddies are telling me that I am going to run the batteries down by leaving it on when I am down.

I was taught that you turn the light on just before you enter the water, and don't turn it off until you are out, since most bulb failures happen when turning the light on. This isn't an issue with LEDs, but I just keep it on all the time anyways when doing a night dive. If my Shockwave LED light did fail for some reason, I do have the impact xl LED as a backup. One option for people to look at is the LED Light Pack, it has the primary, backup, and locator/tank strobe.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PrincetonLedPack

FishFood
10-14-2007, 14:07

I was taught that you turn the light on just before you enter the water, and don't turn it off until you are out, since most bulb failures happen when turning the light on. This isn't an issue with LEDs, but I just keep it on all the time anyways when doing a night dive. If my Shockwave LED light did fail for some reason, I do have the impact xl LED as a backup. One option for people to look at is the LED Light Pack, it has the primary, backup, and locator/tank strobe.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PrincetonLedPack

THat's an excellent deal ^^

The package itself saves money. Not to mention ScubaToys knocked almost $40 off the retail price...

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 14:21
I am planning on upgrading some old technology someday on my primary light and I did like the LED light pack. Seems like that is about what I paid for a primary light many moons ago. I think I'd like the LED just for the battery consumption if nothing else.

I was unaware of their great guarntee, this is even another reason for going in that direction.

terrillja
10-14-2007, 14:34
I am planning on upgrading some old technology someday on my primary light and I did like the LED light pack. Seems like that is about what I paid for a primary light many moons ago. I think I'd like the LED just for the battery consumption if nothing else.

I was unaware of their great guarntee, this is even another reason for going in that direction.

Also, don't forget how rugged LEDs are- you can bang them off rocks all day, and the bulbs won't break, since there is no filament.

NightLife
10-14-2007, 15:59
I had just put a post up about that recently. I bought it from my LDS. They did a over the counter swap. Those lights should have a Lifetime warranty and there shouldn't be a problem.

davieeeee
10-16-2007, 09:51
I am about to purchase the PT light pack as well.
I know that alot of you guys recommend UK instead. So can you give me reasons why I should fork out an extra $100

caroswin
10-29-2007, 06:55
I've got the Princeton Tec Miniwave LED and I'm really happy with it. I used it in crystal clear water and it felt like a day dive, and I use it in murky water with 5m vis at night with no problems. I'm pretty bad with my gear and knock it around a bit, but the light has survived no problem. Still haven't changed the batteries either and that's 8 dives with it.

Puffer Fish
10-29-2007, 09:00

They are one of the best companies to deal with on a failure... and have a very loyal following because of it.

I have two of their lights, one of which had a switch failure and was replaced. Light output has gotten much better with the latest LED's, but be careful using them out of the water, that LED is getting really hot now.

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 21:20
i too have a PT shockwave LED, and am having problem with the switch too. looks like it's a design problem? .. since lots of you are complaining on the same thing...

mike_s
11-10-2007, 12:26

They are one of the best companies to deal with on a failure... and have a very loyal following because of it.

I have two of their lights, one of which had a switch failure and was replaced. Light output has gotten much better with the latest LED's, but be careful using them out of the water, that LED is getting really hot now.

I've had I think 4 failures with PrinceTec Lights. 4 is a little high failure reate in m opinion. but I will say that I had no problems getting them replaced under warranty from Princeton Tec. They even returned them with batteries. (which a new set of batteries about offsets my shipping costs to send them the old light w/o batteries).

2 switch or internal wiring type failures.
1 light broke in half in very cold weather when left in car overnight
1 LED bulb is intermidiate and works only when light is tapped.

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 12:31
PT has good customer service :)

AquaGirl
11-11-2007, 13:30
I LOVE you guys!!
You have no idea, I just took my first class yesterday and they almost talked me into buying the $140 Princeton light package. So I lied, said I'd ask for it for Xmas, came home and checked the internet and ebay. As of ten minutes ago (before I read this thread) I was 2 hours away from bidding on a Princeton light on ebay!!! I thought lights are lights, how could I go wrong (see how new I am!).
Now I definitely know a little more about lights now and quality!!
So far I have checked this forum (and with Pufferfish - I owe him!) before any purchase I had made thus far and it has been a God send!

Puffer Fish
11-12-2007, 13:46
I LOVE you guys!!
You have no idea, I just took my first class yesterday and they almost talked me into buying the $140 Princeton light package. So I lied, said I'd ask for it for Xmas, came home and checked the internet and ebay. As of ten minutes ago (before I read this thread) I was 2 hours away from bidding on a Princeton light on ebay!!! I thought lights are lights, how could I go wrong (see how new I am!).
Now I definitely know a little more about lights now and quality!!
So far I have checked this forum (and with Pufferfish - I owe him!) before any purchase I had made thus far and it has been a God send!

You owe me nothing... except to have fun and be safe... that you owe me.

I have a lot of lights...and my favorites are a PT led torrid, the new small scubapro metal one, and a twist on led metal one made by... well, I don't know, except it is really bright and smaller than a Torrid. I have two large UK lights, and don't use them any more.

I got a Dive Rite pouch that any one will fit in and put on the right shoulder of my BP/W...during day diving, it is one of the smaller ones for looking under things... for night dives, the PT one is my primary and one of the others is my backup.

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 15:12
I got a Dive Rite pouch that any one will fit in and put on the right shoulder of my BP/W...during day diving, it is one of the smaller ones for looking under things... for night dives, the PT one is my primary and one of the others is my backup.

hey pufferfish, mind to let me know which dive rite pouch are you using? I just need idea to stow my toys :D

cheers.

Puffer Fish
11-12-2007, 15:31

hey pufferfish, mind to let me know which dive rite pouch are you using? I just need idea to stow my toys :D

cheers.

Just looked at the diverite cat... and cannot find it... will take a picture tonight. It is about half mesh... roughly the size of the PT torrid (it fits tight in it), and has both side and vertical webbing slots.

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 16:04

cheers.

Just looked at the diverite cat... and cannot find it... will take a picture tonight. It is about half mesh... roughly the size of the PT torrid (it fits tight in it), and has both side and vertical webbing slots.

cool, thanks.
hmm, probably it's not in production anymore.... :smiley13:

Damselfish
11-12-2007, 16:42
Princeton Tech is really good about replacements, but they do seem to have made some poor design decisions that require their good service a little too often.

Puffer Fish
11-13-2007, 07:50

cheers.

cool, thanks.
I think it is in production, just not shown on the web... was a new item about 3 months ago at Fill Express...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/garinj/Pouch1003.jpg

That is with the Torrid light in it.

This is the other light I have, that is brighter and wider:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/garinj/Pouch1004.jpg

The pouch will fit with webbing in either direction.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-13-2007, 09:21
PufferFish, thanks for the pix. I've been wondering how to best stow my light and this might just do the trick.

superkingkong
11-13-2007, 20:03

cheers.

cool, thanks.
I think it is in production, just not shown on the web... was a new item about 3 months ago at Fill Express...

hey thanks pufferfish.

your brighter light looks similar to the IST 3W led
IST 3 Watt Led Rechargeable Light, Dive Lights, IST, IST 3 Watt Led Rechargeable Light (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=IST3WattLight)

hmm.. the pocket... looks similar to this, but i think it's smaller.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/img/bc2065lg.jpg

Puffer Fish
11-13-2007, 20:39

cheers.

cool, thanks.

hey thanks pufferfish.

your brighter light looks similar to the IST 3W led
IST 3 Watt Led Rechargeable Light, Dive Lights, IST, IST 3 Watt Led Rechargeable Light (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=IST3WattLight)

hmm.. the pocket... looks similar to this, but i think it's smaller.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/img/bc2065lg.jpg

Yea, the pouch is smaller, with a different front.

This one uses 3 AAA batteries, and is very, very bright. Don't have a clue how long it will last.. but I have used it on at least 20 dives so far...

superkingkong
11-13-2007, 20:43

This one uses 3 AAA batteries, and is very, very bright. Don't have a clue how long it will last.. but I have used it on at least 20 dives so far...

your torch sounds cool to me. Is it available online?

Puffer Fish
11-14-2007, 03:53

your torch sounds cool to me. Is it available online?
Cannot find it... but it is sold by SCUBAMAX, so the guys here should be able to get one...would expect that it does not have the same support as all the good guys, but it is one bright light, and not very expensive.