PDA

View Full Version : Account hacking attempts

Lulubelle
07-31-2015, 09:16
Got notifications that someone is trying to hack into my account here. Looks like a mobile ip address. Let me know if you need any of the info.

scubadiver888
07-31-2015, 09:48
Hey Lulu,

Someone has been attacking accounts on the site for a while now. I looked into it and left a message to ScubaToys with all the information they need to block the hacker. I'm popping into the store this morning to check up on something I ordered. I'll mention it again to Joey.

It isn't a mobile IP address. There is a project called Tor which allows people who want to be a whistleblower but fear getting caught by their government to post anonymously. The way it works is you get access to Tor, the project takes your internet connection, routes it through their system (in this case in Germany). So when I trace the route back to the hacker I find the Tor project. Because people like journalist in China use Tor to get information into and out of China, it is virtually impossible to find out who is on the other end. Tor does have a system where you submit a request to Tor and they will investigate the person. They know that hackers like to use Tor to attack legitimate businesses. So they will cancel the abuser's Tor account if they find the person is just using Tor to hack legitimate sites.

Lulubelle
07-31-2015, 22:14
Thanks! I used the wrong word because I'm not a techie. I know about Tor from friends who are. What I meant was that the IP address which was trying to hack my account seemed to be tied to various places all over the world and was clearly one of those which was bounced around for anonymity.

scubadiver888
07-31-2015, 22:55
Talked to Joey when I dropped by ScubaToys today. Apparently he gets dozens of attacks on accounts every day for years and he is on it as best he can. Bottom line, it is an on-going battle. So will probably see more of this.

So far everyone is picking okay passwords and no hacker has actually gotten into anyone's account.

Bigg_Budd
08-02-2015, 07:23
someone tried to log in as me today. here's the IP: 95.211.229.158

navyhmc
08-02-2015, 12:53
I'm curious, how do you know that some one else tried to hack your account? Wondering now if it's happened to me and I just don't know it.

scubadiver888
08-02-2015, 14:38
Hey Navy,

When someone tried to hack my account there was a message waiting for me the next time I logged in. Talking to Joey, the hacker has never actually logged in successful. They just try to log in and fail. If someone tries to hack your account and fails, the next time you log in successfully there will be a message waiting telling you that someone tried to hack your account. It will give the IP address, like the one Bigg_Budd posted.

So if you are not seeing a VERY obvious message saying someone hacked your account then no one even tried. Additionally, they are trying brute force hacking. Nothing smart or sophisticated. So if you pick a reasonable password you should be fine. For example, god123 or 1234567890 are bad passwords (too short or easy to guess). If your password is ThisIsMySecretPassword1976 that is a good example (please don't use this). It is long, difficult to guess, has lowercase, uppercase and numbers. You could even use "Poseidon Mares Greyhound Karen 2010". Maybe this is "my regs, my mask, my dog, my god-daughter, the year I was certified". Easy for me to remember because it has meaning to me but hard to guess, a mix of uppercase/lowercase/numbers and it is long.

Even if you do get a warning about someone attempting to hack your account you can ignore it. Joey knows people are trying to hack our accounts. We don't need to tell him. If the hacking attempt was actually you typing your password incorrectly then you might want to let Joey know but if it wasn't you, Joey is already blocking these IP addresses all the time.

navyhmc
08-02-2015, 16:20
Thanks SD.

PTAaron
08-04-2015, 19:59
Just got notification that this happened to my account... and it reminded me I haven't been on here in a long time - so thanks Mr or Mrs Hacker! You're going to make me spend money on scuba gear now... :D

navyhmc
08-05-2015, 14:57
PTAaron! Welcome back!!!

Scubatoysjojo
08-05-2015, 15:04
I am very sorry for all that have received the message that someone has attempted to access your account. It is a spam bot that is making poor attempts but have spoke with a few tech's and based on what is happening they will never be able to access any of your accounts. Please rest assure your account is protected.

Welcome back PTAaron

andy s
09-01-2015, 08:26
I just logged in to say the same. Ive received several email warning s that someone is trying login on my account. The IP are:

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 69.42.58.204
The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 89.234.157.254

andy