PDA

View Full Version : Smokin in the Rain

mcr0112
09-09-2015, 11:26
:smiley32: Fired up the "Bomb" this morning to cook boneless ribs & chicken breast & thighs. Cooking for the local Masonic Lodge meeting. As the better 15/16ths doesn't care for smoked meats ( that's why she not 16/16ths) I don't get to use it much.
It's raining but who cares? I've fired it up in freezing snow or rain, it doesn't matter ,just put on a hat & rain jacket and go for it.12867

Zeagle Eagle
09-09-2015, 12:40
Oh yeah, you may want to try a split exhaust tube rather than that straight paddle thingy.

mcr0112
09-09-2015, 13:49
128681286912870my cat Tigger, finishing up smokin( putting color to meat), a shot of the "goods". Zeagle the only damper I have on this thing is on the firebox. I can choke a fire out, the stack goes to the bottom of the tank & it just has a disc for the rain cap.. everything on this smoker is recycled from the tank to the pinto axle & old boat trailer. Only thing I bought new was the trailer hitch & jack or of course the meat is new "not recycled"

Zeagle Eagle
09-09-2015, 16:48
128681286912870my cat Tigger, finishing up smokin( putting color to meat), a shot of the "goods". Zeagle the only damper I have on this thing is on the firebox. I can choke a fire out, the stack goes to the bottom of the tank & it just has a disc for the rain cap.. everything on this smoker is recycled from the tank to the pinto axle & old boat trailer. Only thing I bought new was the trailer hitch & jack or of course the meat is new "not recycled"

I was just being funny. You know the old split fins, versus paddle fins. It really wasn't that funny at all. Actually, your smoker looks great. I am a little envious. I gave my 6 foot New Braunfels smoker to my barber and am forced to smoke out of a little bitty sideways box. Not so good.

mcr0112
09-09-2015, 22:43
This is the smallest one ive made. Meat chamber is 28 x 28. Largest was 7' x 3' all have been on trailers

Zeagle Eagle
09-10-2015, 12:32
That's what I am talking about.

Clernix
09-10-2015, 15:36
Bit of a smoker myself. Although I have to admit I am not a purist. I have a Brinkman Gas smoker and a Brinkman electric. I have wanted to try smoking with only wood as the heat source.

Zeagle Eagle
09-10-2015, 21:45
I use nothing but Oak in my smoker. 12 hours and I get a ring 1/2 in size on my brisket. It will make you cry it's so good.

mcr0112
09-11-2015, 14:08
Try fresh cut pecan on top of a bed of oak coals. Don't really care for the taste of Mesquite. Mostly use oak but will use fruit wood ( peach, pear, plum, or apple if I come across it. Have plenty of pecan and oak on the place so I can have it fresh cut ( green) that produces alot of smoke when on a bed of coals..
And by the way I wasn't able to attend the meeting I cooked for. The meat I had placed in the fridge at the Masonic Lodge just in case. My wifes surgery went a little longer than expected & I didn't want to leave her with the grandson caring for her. They told me it was delicouse and I was promoted to head cook. No good dead goes unpunished.

Zeagle Eagle
09-11-2015, 15:49
I use pecan when I can get it. We have so much oak and it's pretty cheap. I will sometimes buy some pecan or apple chips to put on top of the coals. BTW, check out this rig! 12873

mcr0112
09-11-2015, 17:30
Good lookin rig. For pecan & fruit wood check with neighbors or co-workers to see if they have any in the yards. They may need a little trimmimng up. I get all of my firewood that way from my farm. I'll get almost 1/2 cord of pecan this year from my orchard, All will be 2-4 in dia, I have pear tree growing in a pasture that the sheep love when the fruit drops.