PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic VT3 problem

sidneydiver
09-25-2007, 22:11
Hi

I went diving with my VT3 today and it worked fine but I noticed after the dive that it had taken on some water in the battery cover on the back. I got home and took the cover off and it doesn't look good at all. It looks as though the plastic cover has a scratch or possibly a crack in it. I have not noticed this before and have not dropped it.

I was hoping the good people from Oceanic might read this and be able to help. Is there anything I can do or any way to nurse it back to health?!!

Thank you.

Doug Krause
11-16-2007, 12:17
Hi sidneydiver,

I'm afraid there is not a do-it-yourself fix. It will need to come back to us. Give Mark, David or Ron a call at 800-435-3483, ext. 760 - they'll be more than happy to help.

Doug Krause
Marketing Manager
Oceanic | AERIS

Xspect
11-17-2007, 13:53
Thats a pretty fast response from a company.

okidiver
11-17-2007, 21:48
Thats a pretty fast response from a company.

They do a good job of taking care of customers. I have a VT Pro that needed to be re-calibrated. Sent it in, 3 weeks later (Weather was bad those three weeks anyway) it's back in the game.

PsychDiver
11-19-2007, 21:45
I have a VT3 I bought from ST. I have about 100 dives on it and have not done anything to it but dive with it. I love it. However, I have had some problems with the downloads. Sometimes it downloads the dive but does not give any of the details of the dive. When that happens I have to delete the dive and redownload it. This usually solves the problem.

cummings66
11-23-2007, 13:34
To be fair I don't believe they monitor the board as often as they do others, however a board is not the official way to get support. If you want it right now there are other ways to do so.

sidneydiver
11-24-2007, 18:43
I actually did call and received excellent service. I sent it back and received a new one back in less than a week. I was very pleased! Thanks Oceanic.

PsychDiver
11-27-2007, 23:08
Good to hear it worked out for you. All that I have heard about customer service at Oceanic has been very positive.

navyhmc
11-27-2007, 23:27
Now THAT is customer service!!! A simple thread on ST and you have an answer from the company!!! I don't know what computer I'm going to get, but I think this has put Oceanic high on the list.

bjoseph
12-06-2007, 06:57
I am thinking about purchasing an Oceanic VT3 Complete and have a question for all of those using a wrist mounted computer. It is my impression that the VT3 does not have a regular watch function.

So what does everyone do about a watch or compass with a big ol' wrist computer on one arm? I would think that a watch would be useful for keeping track of dive times (time down/time up) etc. Compass speaks for itself...

Netsloth
12-06-2007, 07:57
I am thinking about purchasing an Oceanic VT3 Complete and have a question for all of those using a wrist mounted computer. It is my impression that the VT3 does not have a regular watch function.

So what does everyone do about a watch or compass with a big ol' wrist computer on one arm? I would think that a watch would be useful for keeping track of dive times (time down/time up) etc. Compass speaks for itself...

I have a VT3. It does have a time/date screen. I actually wear both a watch and my computer, because my watch is my backup depth meter, but of course, that's a specific sort of a thing.

PsychDiver
12-10-2007, 12:48
I have a VT3 on my arm. I will also wear a compass on the same arm (right). I have a Suunto Cobra2 also. While the Cobra2 has an electronic compass I prefer the wrist mount. So I have redunant computers, both have watches/timers and redundant compasses.

bjoseph
12-10-2007, 13:25
I have a VT3 on my arm. I will also wear a compass on the same arm (right). I have a Suunto Cobra2 also. While the Cobra2 has an electronic compass I prefer the wrist mount. So I have redunant computers, both have watches/timers and redundant compasses.

Thats a lot of cash invested in dive computers! I was wondering if you have ever compared the 2 side by side on a dive. I have heard that the algorithm is a lot more conservative on the Suunto computers than on the Oceanics. Have you ever looked to see how they compare?

Also, what is the electronic compass like on the Cobra 2? Do you find it is just as accurate as a regular compass?

bjoseph
12-10-2007, 13:27

I have a VT3. It does have a time/date screen. I actually wear both a watch and my computer, because my watch is my backup depth meter, but of course, that's a specific sort of a thing.

Thanks for the reply... I was just wondering what you wear for a watch that gives you depth... I am in the market for a new watch.

RoadRacer1978
12-10-2007, 13:29
I wear a Timex Helix. It has date, time, depth and temp along with bottom timer.

tarheeldiver
12-10-2007, 16:56
They replaced my Veo250 once had very good service and a fast response

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 14:58

Thats a lot of cash invested in dive computers! I was wondering if you have ever compared the 2 side by side on a dive. I have heard that the algorithm is a lot more conservative on the Suunto computers than on the Oceanics. Have you ever looked to see how they compare?

Also, what is the electronic compass like on the Cobra 2? Do you find it is just as accurate as a regular compass?

Yes it is a lot of cash. I have had the cobra only a few weeks. In shallow dives there is not much difference. However, the VT3 seems to warn me sooner about rapid accents. (Doing CESAs with students). The compass is nice but if you are going a longer distance it is a pain because it keeps switching back to dive mode and you have to reset it into compass mode. However, I did a dive where I went out into a lake with visibility of about 4ft for about 1/4 mile and turned around and returned to within 10 ft of where I entered the water. So I felt pretty darn good about the compasses reliability and my ability to use it correctly. The VT3 always tells me it is three degrees warmer than the Cobra so I go by it. :smiley20: Depth reads pretty much the same. I will be doing a series of dives over the holidays and will try to do some comparisons.

firstdive2005
01-05-2008, 09:42
Hi- I am just finishing up reading all the of the manual, at the same time I have been checking sites on how divers are using it. As usual I ran into recall notices. Took it back for the buddy download issue, they found a battery issue. Instantly the rep said here, I am giving you a brand new one, this one even came with the hard case. I am too impressed with the Calgary Alberta Oceanic people and the LDS I purchased at, Aqua Sport, Calgary. I cant wait to get wet with the new unit. Going to Coz end of January with it. Way to go Oceanic.:smiley20::smiley32:

bjoseph
01-06-2008, 07:07
where did you find info on recalls for the VT3? I just bough one and want to check them out.

cummings66
01-06-2008, 20:55
Not sure where you got the idea of there being a recall on the VT3, but there is no recall and I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread. There has been recalls on other Oceanic computers, but not the VT3.

bjoseph
01-07-2008, 04:29
Hi- I am just finishing up reading all the of the manual, at the same time I have been checking sites on how divers are using it. As usual I ran into recall notices. Took it back for the buddy download issue, they found a battery issue. Instantly the rep said here, I am giving you a brand new one, this one even came with the hard case. I am too impressed with the Calgary Alberta Oceanic people and the LDS I purchased at, Aqua Sport, Calgary. I cant wait to get wet with the new unit. Going to Coz end of January with it. Way to go Oceanic.:smiley20::smiley32:

This is what gave me the idea that there was a recall... This is what I found when looking further...

RECALL: Oceanic - VT3 Dive Computer Safety Upgrade
All Oceanic VT3 Dive Computers

Serial numbers 1 – 3826

Sold between: August 1, 2006 – July 10, 2007.

Upon activating the Buddy Pressure Check routine after having previously checked their buddy’s pressure, the previous pressure value was still displayed instead of the message NOT AVAIL which is what should appear on the screen when the buddy is out of signal range when a check is performed.

Oceanic is offering a free operating software Upgrade to all VT3 product owners to eliminate any inconvenience during activities involving Buddy Pressure Checks. The VT3 unit’s software will be upgraded to revision r1F.

Owners of any VT3 unit with software revision 1A- 1E may download the Update Application and instructions from the Oceanic web site:

The USB PC Interface Cable is required to perform the upgrade. If you do not own the Interface Cable, or are not comfortable with performing the procedure yourself, any Authorized Oceanic retailer can upgrade the software at their facility. Please call the retailer in advance to confirm they have the necessary software for the upgrade.

Identifying Serial Number & Software Revision:
*To access/view the SN screen while viewing the NORM (or GAUG) SURF Main screen - -
*Simultaneously depress the A (right/front) and S (right/side) buttons 5 times (2 seconds each time).
*If Revision r1F is displayed, the unit’s software program has been upgraded and no further action is required.

I haven't chcked mine yet but since I jut purchased in 12/07 I am hoping mine is good.

cummings66
01-07-2008, 10:14
If it's not updated it's no big deal, you just install the software using your computer and cable, if you feel uncomfortable about it you can send it in.

It's not something that affects most people but I could see if you use it to check your buddies pressure it might affect you. I knew of this issue and have upgraded mine, but I'll clue you in to a common problem doing the upgrade.

Odd's are when it's done you will need to pull the battery, it seems most of us have not had the thing reset right after the upgrade. Nothing major, and in my case I needed to replace the battery anyhow, just be aware of it.

firstdive2005
01-10-2008, 12:40
Not sure where you got the idea of there being a recall on the VT3, but there is no recall and I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread. There has been recalls on other Oceanic computers, but not the VT3.
Apology accepted, I'll just give it to you, your probably dir.(know it all)

cummings66
01-10-2008, 17:42
Nope, if I was DIR I wouldn't be using a VT3, I can't think of how many rules that breaks. Lets see, computer is one rule, AI is another, transmitter on first stage is another. Looks pretty bad for me now.

But honestly, I never saw the recall posted in this thread and last I knew of it it was not a recall but an optional software upgrade which I did. I've never been notified there was a recall. I was told there was an issue in buddy situations where the pressure would be wrong and that if I wanted I could install the software myself or send it in.

However, if you want an apology then I am truly sorry I ever doubted your post which said there was a recall because as another poster pointed out via the text of the recall, there is/was one in place.

For future reference, if I'm wrong which happens too often anymore, tell me I'm wrong. I honestly do not like being compared to DIR, in no way shape or form am I DIR nor do I have that mindset for casual diving.

I'll post my notification and that should explain why I said there was no recall. Again I apologize for saying something which is wrong, Oceanic clearly told you it was a recall and told me it was not. Sorry.

cummings66
01-10-2008, 18:07
My answer was based on this notification I received, you will notice it is not a recall in this notice, nor will you find the recall on their site either. This is all you can find from them, or at least this is all Oceanic has available, it's clearly not a recall per this statement and this is all I'm going to do to explain my answer. Does my answer to you make sense? I am not a know it all but this is what the horse told me.

You are right, there are many pages outside of Oceanic that call this upgrade a recall, but to my limited searching on their site they barely acknowledge it, even today. This is based on their page listing recalls, here that is for others who want to know where the important safety stuff is posted at;

Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/safety_notices.html)

Based on the posting earlier about dive computer serial numbers I suspect there was something that came along later, but to be honest I'd love to see the Oceanic link that recall notice came from because I can not find it on their site. Not that their site is user friendly and I am sure it could be hidden somewhere, or lost. It appears that Valley Scuba is the place the recall started, but that recall text is not what Oceanic sent to me as a registered user of the VT3, in fact it is in error. The serial number is wrong, the guy who "interpreted the notice as a recall" stated the serial numbers from 1 to 3826, but 3826 us the start of the good batch and the old one ended at 3825 which makes that post sound like something a person read from the notice given by Oceanic and then hashed out by somebody else who misread it. The real notification I got follows.

Oceanic VT3 - Aeris Elite T3 Dive Computer Operating Software Upgrade

Oceanic & Aeris Customer Service has received several VT3 Dive Computers that were returned by product owners who experienced similar problems with the Buddy Pressure Check feature.

Upon activating the Buddy Pressure Check routine after having previously checked their buddy's pressure, the previous pressure value was still displayed instead of the message NOT AVAIL which is what should appear on the screen when the buddy is out of signal range when a check is performed.

After extensive analysis and testing, Oceanic/Aeris programmers and engineers have determined that the portion of operating software used for the Buddy Pressure Check routine contains code associated with the Loss of Link routine that retains the last Pressure reading for a given period when the signal Link is removed.

Oceanic/Aeris is offering a free operating software Upgrade to all VT3 & Elite T3 product owners to eliminate any inconvenience during activities involving Buddy Pressure Checks. The VT3 & Elite T3 unit's software will be upgraded to revision r1F.

Owners of any VT3& Elite T3 unit with software revision 1A- 1E may download the Update Application and instructions from the Oceanic's web site at: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/VT3_ELITET3_Update_Setup_062507.zip

The USB PC Interface Cable is required to perform the upgrade. If you do not own the Interface Cable, or are not comfortable with performing the procedure yourself, the upgrade may be performed at the Authorized Oceanic or Aeris retail facility where you purchased your computer.

No other features and functions of the VT3 & Elite T3 are affected, only the Buddy Pressure Check routine.

No other models of Oceanic or Aeris Dive Computers featuring Buddy Pressure Check are affected.

Note that any VT3 & Elite T3 units with serial number 3826 and above will have been programmed with the upgraded operating software (r1F).

Identifying Serial Number & Software Revision To access/view the SN screen while viewing the NORM (or GAUG) SURF Main screen -
Simultaneously depress the A (right/front) and S (right/side) buttons 5 times (2 seconds each time). If Revision r1F is displayed, the unit's software program has been upgraded and no further action is required.

http://www.leisurepro.com/image/ui/spcr.gif