PDA

View Full Version : Bonaire - salt pier?

rayaa3
06-27-2016, 11:05
So, trying for our first trip to Bonaire again in October (we tried for this a couple years ago but had to cancel).

Have a question about Salt Pier. Various internet sources say you either do or do not have to get permission to dive it.

Some advice says you simply cannot dive it with a boat on the pier. If this is true, how do you know a boat won't come in while you are diving?

Other advice talks of some mysterious permit or permission that can only be had if you rescue the princess in mario brothers, and even then you have to know some secret dance and code that involves hitting up up down down ab ab , and then say the secret code word otherwise no one will talk to you about it.

OK, maybe it's not that bad, but like I said advice varies greatly.

thanks, Ray

snagel
06-28-2016, 05:55
I've seen some of that sort of stuff as well. It's not that complicated, if there is a boat there drive by and dive at the next spot. If no boat pull in, gear up, and dive. I've dove the pier several times with no issues. I've actually only seen a boat there one time in several trips to Bonaire. My guess is that if a boat was coming in you would see it as it was coming in. Actually, where you dive compared to where the boat parks are different locations anyway; so, if by chance a boat came in as you were diving you would not be in that area anyway.

Don't stress about it; there are plenty of dive sites if by chance there is a boat there. Actually, now that I think about it you might be getting the City Pier confused with the Salt Pier. The City Pier is downtown and I don't think they allow diving their anymore due to the boat traffic. They may allow with some sort of permit, but I'm not sure on that one. We've never dove it and really not had any ambition to dive it due to the many other locations outside of the city.

rayaa3
07-05-2016, 08:42
Thanks Snagel.

I'm a planner, and conflicting stories were coming up about it. Nice to hear first hand from voices that have advised me before.

I'm not really worried about a shortage of dive sites. We are staying at the lighthouse beach 'resort', in a condo. Looking at the southern dive sites there seems to be a site about every 4 minutes of driving as you head south out of the resort. Finding dive sites will be the least of our worries. However, this site looks interesting compared to the others, so it's no my short list.

I'm going with the wife and daughter, and they tucker out after 2 tanks a day (even I'm not as gung ho 'dive dive dive dive' as I was 6-7 years ago) so I'm making my shortlist to make sure I don't miss anything I really want to see :)

-Ray

Charon
07-06-2016, 08:31
You might want to add Cliff to your short list.

snagel
07-07-2016, 06:04
Hope you have a great trip. We actually just put the final touches on our reservations for our trip in December.

You might want to order a book called Dive Guide Bonaire. You can probably order this from a lot of places, but on the back of my copy it has www.caribbeandiveguides.com as a place to get it. It has a ton of information about Bonaire and a great read. If you don't order it you will probably pick up a copy once you get to Bonaire....they sell them everywhere.

Just so you know, once you get to Bonaire and get set up with your Dive Package you will have to do a couple things... 1) you will need to do a orientation dive to check out your weights and such; and 2) you will need to pay your park fee. Everybody that dives has to pay the fee and wear the tag. I think the fee is $25 and if I'm not mistaking has to be paid in cash.

Snagel

comet24
07-24-2016, 19:42
Easy to tell if a boat is there or not(your understand the first time you drive by). Definitely don't drive if a boat is present.

My first time there we did a night dive on the salt pier. Paid one of the DM from the resort to guide us since that's what we were told. One of the best dives I've done in Bonaire was that night dive and I've been there a few times. Lots of octopus on that dive. Ended up doing are own dive as the DM went in a different direction then the cool stuff was.

I've heard you need to get permission. I can't say if this is true or not. Talk to the dive shop your using if your worried.

Snagel is correct on the book. Buy it and take it with you. Might be going back again this year. Bonaire is a great place and your have a fun time.

Check you https://www.facebook.com/Cactus-Blue-on-the-Beach-648625748562160/

Looks like they are closing for a few months. If they are open when your there and diving the southern sites you have to stop buy for lunch. It's just a food truck on the beach but they make great food and you can sit back on a beach chair in the sand and enjoy it.