PDA

View Full Version : suunoto mosquito?

whse56
09-26-2007, 10:42
Looking at getting a dive computer. Suunoto mosquito has caught my eye and wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) with this unit or if there is another brand in the same price range that is better? Thanks whse

Theepdinker
09-26-2007, 11:32
The Mosquito's display is about the same as my Stinger.
It's getting hard to read the smaller numbers lately.
My eyes aren't what they were just 2 years ago.

Theep

Prouty33
09-26-2007, 12:49
I dive the mosquito, don't have any real complaints with it. The display is small, so if you don't have good eyes its probably not the best computer for you. I bought mine new on Ebay, and paid $200 under retail. If you don't mind not having a warranty, take a gander over to ebay.

scubatexastony
09-26-2007, 17:32
We have a couple of them and the only problem was with the first one I bought back in '02, it was replaced by Suunto/ LDS at no charge. It's nice and small if you like to wear it as a watch on a dive vacation, but I opt'd for the viper, as the display fits my old eyes better.... :)

~tony

Aussie
09-26-2007, 17:41
I have had two mosquitos and they both failed after about 250 dives or after you replaced the battery for the first time. I would invest in the Suunto Gekko, Vyper, which is around the price of the Mosquito. If you want a watch style computer I would look at the Stinger (old model, same computer as the Mozzie but in a stainless case), D6.

They are designed for the diver that maybe dives only a few times a year. Put your money towards something that will last for years with daily dives.

Aussie

Zenagirl
09-26-2007, 18:23
Suuntos are good computers with a good reputation and a lot of fans.

I chose not to buy one because I prefer a less conservative computer where I have the ability to choose a higher level of conservativeness if I choose.

deepdiver47
09-27-2007, 07:06
I have had mine for 4 years and I agree with everything that is said here.
It has never failed me but tends to go thru a yearly battery unlike my Vyper which lasts much longer.

The Mosquito started out as my primary and was replaced 3 years ago with my Vyper. I use 2 comps when I go diving.

datamunk
10-05-2007, 21:22
ive used the mosiquto but i loveee the cobra... but, its a complete diff product but still :\

Scubakraut
10-08-2007, 13:27
Love my Mosquito, nothing bad to say about it, it served me well on every dive vacation wearing it as a watch. Plus the benefit it looks like "cheap plastic" watch, which is great on vacation so no thieves are attracted to it. Had it for little more then a year and 60+ dives, battery still full.

BobArnold8265
10-08-2007, 13:48
Both the wife and I dive with Vypers and really like them. We've had ours for four years, logged over 200 + dives and just now the batteries are starting to get low. Not bad in my mind.

Oceanicdb
10-08-2007, 16:13
Very similar product from both AERIS/Oceanic would be the Manta or GEO respectively. Same basic price, little larger display and a few more user definable settings and options.
http://www.OceanicWorldwide.com/promo_geo.html (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/promo_geo.html).

Darryl

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 18:31
^^^ Check out the Geo. I've played around with it at my shop, and it's a great product. I LOVE how easy to use Oceanic comp's are.

Danny

kjr39
10-09-2007, 10:04
Any recommendations on where to pick up the Mosquito online? It does look like they have them here at scubatoys... :smiley19:

ScubaToys Larry
10-09-2007, 10:56
Suunto products do not allow on line sales, so if you get one on line, it won't come with a manufacturers warranty. Computers are one of the products that a warranty is nice. Any shop can rebuild a reg - but not a lot of shops can solder chips on a circuit board!? So if suunto is the brand you actually want, I'd highly suggest buying it at your local shop as that is the only way to get the manufacturers support of the product.

Scubakraut
10-09-2007, 13:52
Suunto products do not allow on line sales, so if you get one on line, it won't come with a manufacturers warranty. Computers are one of the products that a warranty is nice. Any shop can rebuild a reg - but not a lot of shops can solder chips on a circuit board!? So if suunto is the brand you actually want, I'd highly suggest buying it at your local shop as that is the only way to get the manufacturers support of the product.

I agree with Larry here. I picked mine up at my LDS, it was the first toy when I was certified.

ScubaToys Larry
10-09-2007, 14:23
Of course I'd rather talk you into a different computer that we carry!!:smiley2:

But lacking that...:smiley19: yes... LDS.

okidiver
10-09-2007, 18:37
I'd agree with Scuba Toys. Buy one at your LDS. But also take a look what S.Toys have to offer. Oceanic computers are pretty good as well. I got both a older VT Pro snd a Suunto Gekko and they are both pretty darn good computers.

But definitely take a look at what S.Toys has and if they don't got what you are looking for then turn to your LDS. Give them a chance.

cdawg
10-09-2007, 19:49
so how much is the mosquito going for at local dive shops in the US? i am in the philippines and i'm getting a quote from the sole distributor telling me a mosquito is in the $700 range which i think is way overpriced!

kjr39
10-10-2007, 10:09
Give them a chance.

I did when I got certed and don't plan to go back to them.

Unfortunately, they appear to be the only shop that carries Suunto in the area...

rye_a
01-05-2008, 18:58
I looked at the Mosquito and the Oceanic Geo and wound up with the Geo. Haven't looked back...

Scoobidoo
01-06-2008, 04:10
....Computers are one of the products that a warranty is nice. Any shop can rebuild a reg - but not a lot of shops can solder chips on a circuit board!?...
Yup, so I got an Oceanic. Great computer priced very reasonaly, came with free parts for life and from a shop (er...I mean ST) that stands behind everything they sell.

I believe they checked my computer before dispatching, 'cos they filled in my warranty card in the box. Way to go, ST!

Matt P
01-06-2008, 09:25
I have the Vytec & really like. The Mosquito is just to small for my taste.

plot
01-06-2008, 12:01
I hate my suuntu, to conservative. Killed a few of my dives while the other guys kept going... Our bottom times matched up for the first dive, but for consecutive dives... ouch. I was ending dives with 1200lbs of air thanks to my suuntu vyper. (all suuntu's use the same algorthym, the D6's and D9's have a setting to go slightly less conservative - but then you're talking way to much money for what features they offer.)

Ok, so being conservative isn't a bad thing, but I'd rather set how conservative I want to be by myself rather than having my computer lock me out for 24 hours becuase it doesn't like the way I'm playing.

Looking into an oceanic atom or something similiar, I recommend you do the same if you plan on taking any dive trips with alot of repetative dives.

azdiver
01-06-2008, 13:47
I started off with a suunto sme and switched to their gekko a year or so after it came out. It's a great little computer and I've had no problems doing up to 5 dives/day on liveaboards. I have my lds change the battery every year even though it doesn't need it because it's so inexpensive to do it. Have been thinking about upgrading to the vytec and using my gekko as a backup.

teog
01-10-2008, 17:11
I just dove with my mosquito yesterday. I also wore my dive rite nitek to gauge the differences. The suunto was more conservitive then the dive rite. I personaly didnt have an issue with reading the display on it.

It seemed to be a nice little pc, but i prefer the dive rite. I think Im going to end up selling the suunto since I dont need two of them.

azdiver
01-10-2008, 17:27
I I think Im going to end up selling the suunto since I dont need two of them.

Let me know if you do decide to sell it.... if the price is right I may pick it up to clip onto my bc for a backup. Nothing beats redundancy when it comes to dive safety and I'm pretty sure all suunto's use the same alogorithm

MxDiver
01-10-2008, 19:16
I just dove with my mosquito yesterday. I also wore my dive rite nitek to gauge the differences. The suunto was more conservitive then the dive rite. I personaly didnt have an issue with reading the display on it.

It seemed to be a nice little pc, but i prefer the dive rite. I think Im going to end up selling the suunto since I dont need two of them.

How many dives did you made and what was the difference at the end?