PDA

View Full Version : fin straps

Mtrewyn
09-26-2007, 13:10
I have real problims with my straps on my fins, they are blades, I've replaced the origional straps with after market straps but they are not much better. Are the "spring" straps better, Can they be had for any fin? or only certin ones? Or does any one have thoughts? I realy don't want to buy new ones.

Chad
09-26-2007, 13:30
What problems are you having with factory straps? They make spring straps for any fin. I have them and love them. Easy on and off and you don't have to worry about them breaking on you.

wxboy911
09-26-2007, 13:52
This topic came up before...take a look here.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=393 (http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=399)

CompuDude
09-26-2007, 15:34
Spring straps ROCK, and are available for nearly any fin. Get 'em.

ccarter
09-26-2007, 15:35
Yeah I had a pair of jets a few months ago with spring straps.. I lost one fin and resorted to using my spare pair of fins which don't.. I hate not having them. Trying to find a single jet fin but it's pretty hard..

Soonerwink
09-26-2007, 18:22
I bought the cheap ones, and love them. I just returned from the Flower Gardens and sping straps make it real easy to romove your fins while in the water.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BLREZQ.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dspring%2 bstraps%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRe levance%26DescSort%3d0%26Hit%3d1
Belowe is the one I purchased for my twin jets.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUEZT.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dspring%2 bstraps%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRe levance%26DescSort%3d0%26Hit%3d1
I wear a medium fin and had to get a size large. LP just let me exchange the wrong size for the right one.

chuckm
09-29-2007, 08:48
Another vote for spring straps. You dont have to worry about adjusting - just make sure you get the correct length. You can stretch them out a bit if they are slightly too snug. They are much easier to slip on and off. It also helps comfort if your booties had a little padding on the back of the foot.

BobArnold8265
10-03-2007, 08:35
Spring straps are the way to go. Once you try them, I bet you'll be hooked !!

mm_dm
10-03-2007, 09:19
Another vote for spring straps. You dont have to worry about adjusting - just make sure you get the correct length.

What he said. Make sure they're the right length. I have springs on all my many fins and love 'em.

K-Valve
10-03-2007, 10:28
I put spring straps on all my fins. Definitely the way to go. They come in different sizes so make sure that's a consideration when/if you buy a pair.

bubble-head
10-03-2007, 10:35
I'm also an advocate of spring straps. I could never go back to rubber straps. They make getting fins on and off so much easier.

abuckfity
10-03-2007, 10:35
ive also thought about purchasing these, b/c i know a lot of people use them, so they must be doing something good. im just wondering, though, do they have any purpose aside from making it easier to put the fins on and take off? i don't have any trouble with that. is there some sort of performance benefit to using them?

fire diver
10-03-2007, 11:14
Spring straps are the best thing you could ever do for any fin. THEY ROCK!

If you buy the XS (the company, not the size) spring straps, they come with connections for all types of fins but ForceFins. ScubaToys sells them too.

FD

ianr33
10-03-2007, 11:20
[quote=abuckfity;66899 is there some sort of performance benefit to using them?[/quote]

They dont break.

Huge advantage

fire diver
10-03-2007, 11:26
is there some sort of performance benefit to using them?

They dont break.

Huge advantage

And they go on and off so easy, yet hold snug. And they don't break.

Did we mention they don't break? It REALLY sucks to tighten a rubber fin strap and have it break. Say goodbye to that dive. Wait, you have a spare in you're kit right? How many years has it been sitting there? Has it degraded and lost strenght too?

I went though that myself. The first time was the last time. I switched to springs and loved them.

Of course YMMV.

FD

CompuDude
10-03-2007, 13:41
is there some sort of performance benefit to using them?

They dont break.

Huge advantage

And they go on and off so easy, yet hold snug. And they don't break.

Did we mention they don't break? It REALLY sucks to tighten a rubber fin strap and have it break. Say goodbye to that dive. Wait, you have a spare in you're kit right? How many years has it been sitting there? Has it degraded and lost strenght too?

I went though that myself. The first time was the last time. I switched to springs and loved them.

Of course YMMV.

FD
Yup. And they require zero adjustment. Pull open, insert foot, let go. Fins are on perfectly. No tugging this side and then then that side to perfectly center the straps, etc. Just perfect every time. Really great when you're trying to put them on or take them off in the surf or surge, too.

ScubaToys Larry
10-03-2007, 13:49
The one thing I would point out is some of the links people have posted up are spring straps with plastic buckles. To me that is an oxymoron like Jumbo-Shrimp, Military-Intelligence, Reef-Gloves, Thin-Joe.

I have yet to ever break a fin strap - I know it can happen... but I never have, but I have seen far more straps fail from cracked or broken clips than I ever have seen the rubber give out.

For that reason, I'd avoid plastic buckles on springs... For a good, inexpensive spring strap with no plastic buckles, there are these: http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TilosProDiverSpringStraps

fire diver
10-03-2007, 14:44
For that reason, I'd avoid plastic buckles on springs... For a good, inexpensive spring strap with no plastic buckles, there are these: http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TilosProDiverSpringStraps

Just for some product comparison...

I looked at those also when I was researching which straps to buy. The reason I went with the XS straps is that they have a pin (actually a bolt and nut) that sit behind the post on the fin. This prevents the buckle from ever getting pushed forward and coming off. I know, that's almost impossible to happen, but the extra safety makes me feel better.

FD

ScaredSilly
10-03-2007, 15:11
I have broken one fin strap in the last 15 years. I have replaced two others that were going to break because of a poor design. I carry a complete extra strap with all the plastic bits on both ends (aka the buckles). I do this for two reasons 1) threading a strap through the quick release buckle is a pain so if strap breaks I can replace the whole thing quickly and go dive. 2) The plastic pieces are more apt to get broken when the n00b next to you drops their cylinder on your fin.

datamunk
10-03-2007, 17:41
yep ive used them, had a guy offer to make some for $30 as well that made em real nice. i was doin a checkout with an instructor last weekend and i dont know if it was from standin the entire time in really shallow water, but my feet were killin me from my fins.. vis was pretty bad so i didnt spend time on looking at my fins to see what was up. may need to get some spring straps!