PDA

View Full Version : Sweeeeet new Oxycheq/Solus light

przeor
09-26-2007, 20:20
Just got my new light in the mail, thanks scubatoys!

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OxyCheqLedbackupLight

It's the one above, the new Oxycheq/Solus back-up light. Anyways, I'll get it wet this weekend, but holy @#$ is it bright inside the house! And the magnetic switch is pretty sweet as well.. Perfect size, easy to manipulate the switch with gloves and did I mention it's bright? Highly reccomend it off my little demo inside, hope to break it in full force in a week and half in the Bahamas...

Theepdinker
09-26-2007, 21:17
It's advertised at 200 lumens. That's very bright for a single LED.
It's not 10 watt HID bright, as it is also promoted by the manufacturer.
They are typically 500 lumens.
Let us know how it performs underwater.

Theep

NightLife
09-26-2007, 21:22
Nice light. If I had $200 to burn I'd like to have one :smiley20:

mm_dm
09-27-2007, 08:24
I wonder how many hours Patrick @ Oxycheq spent throwing it against the wall or pounding nails with it before he put it on the market.

BSea
09-27-2007, 08:36
I feel a LED vrs HID Pepsi Challenge is coming our way. For those not familiar with this, check this (http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25208) out.

WARNING: This forum has people that don't play nice.

I am considering this light, but for that money, I really want to see it underwater 1st.

JahJahwarrior
09-27-2007, 11:29
Most expensive hammer I've ever seen, but hey, it doubles as a backup light, so that's pretty cool.....:)

People think SB is bad, TDS is so much worse, in terms of ridiculing people :) That's why I love TDS. I cannot wait until ST has that problem, which it will, eventually. It forces everyone to become smarter to avoid being called stupid :)

Foo2
09-27-2007, 12:33
People think SB is bad, TDS is so much worse, in terms of ridiculing people :) That's why I love TDS. I cannot wait until ST has that problem, which it will, eventually. It forces everyone to become smarter to avoid being called stupid :)

That's sad to me JahJah. I can't for the life of me understand why you would want people to be rude. I would hope that you will continue to try to keep ST a nice place. There is nothing wrong with becoming more educated, but you can't give people a hard time for being new to the sport and not knowing things.

BSea
09-27-2007, 12:59
If this forum ever gets like like TDS, Larry will roll over in his grave, because I'm sure he won't let this forum ever get to the point that TDS is as long as he's around.

I was once told that there is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer. When people are intimidated to the point they don't ask, then nobody learns anything new. No matter what your skill level, you can learn something new, even from a novice. As long as you encourage them, and not ridicule them to the point they don't share their thoughts.

Now TDS isn't a bad forum. There is probably more information over there regarding tech diving than any other forum I know. I do read there, I just don't post there. As far as I'm concerned, this forum is what all forums should be like.

Vercingetorix
09-27-2007, 13:11
BSea, AMEN!!!!!

One little problem...Larry isn't dead yet. So, he can't over in his grave. Maybe he'll spin in his office chair.

BSea
09-27-2007, 14:11
If this forum ever gets like like TDS, Larry will roll over in his grave, because I'm sure he won't let this forum ever get to the point that TDS is as long as he's around.

BSea, AMEN!!!!!

One little problem...Larry isn't dead yet. So, he can't over in his grave. Maybe he'll spin in his office chair.
I meant that he would have to be dead for this forum to be like TDL's. He obviously is still here since this forum is nothing like TDL's, and I doubt it will ever get that way. Sorry for the confusion.

sudnit5
09-27-2007, 14:34
That light looks pretty nice, but a hefty price tag.

JahJahwarrior
09-27-2007, 17:48
I was once told that there is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer. When people are intimidated to the point they don't ask, then nobody learns anything new.

Now TDS isn't a bad forum. There is probably more information over there regarding tech diving than any other forum I know. I do read there, I just don't post there. As far as I'm concerned, this forum is what all forums should be like.

I added visual notification of my sarcasm to my earlier post, because apparently it was not recognized that I was speaking somewhat sarcastically.

As for TDS and SB and ST, I much prefer reading at TDS, as it is chock full of knowledge. ST is much better for community. SB is in the middle. ST just doesn't have the info that SB and TDS have. It probably will within a few years, but many of the knowledgable people will come here from SB or TDS (Well, more from SB than TDS. TDS is a very technical-diving-oriented site, technical divers are less likely to be interested in a recreational board) and will bring with them the same attitude, which can be summed up in very few words: "Be smart, think it through for yourself, and use the search function first." So I do think its good for us to try and keep life more civil here, and it's never right to ridicule people. However, I do think there is such thing as a stupid question, when that stupid question has been asked before. If a question makes you want to go out and cause physical mutilation to a dead equine animal, then it's a "stupid question." :) But its never good to call a person stupid for asking a question. (though there are alot of idiots out there)

Anyways, when I want to buy something, I go to TDS or SB. When I want to know something about technical diving, I go to TDS. When I want to know something about rec diving, I go to SB, and then here. When I want to shoot the breeze, I go here, than to SB.

Oh, and I have gotten "yelled" at for things from users on here. No forum is completely devoid of rudeness....(even though I'll admit, sometimes I can be very rude, but when I get yelled at for being rude I'm fine with that, it's when I didn't do anything intentionally and someone calls me names that I get upset) [/off topic]

PICTURES!!! We must see pictures of this light in action!

Iceman
09-27-2007, 19:12
I feel a LED vrs HID Pepsi Challenge is coming our way. For those not familiar with this, check this (http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25208) out.

WARNING: This forum has people that don't play nice.

I am considering this light, but for that money, I really want to see it underwater 1st.

For those of us who eschew TDS how about a G Rated summary?

JahJahwarrior
09-27-2007, 19:36

Um, Patrick from Oxycheq, who sells that light, made by Solus, and the guys from Salvo got in a shouting match that lasted multiple pages with many users throwing intheir own opinions. Patrick argued that HID technology is soon to be outmoded, and that the Solus is superior becuase it is as bright as HID's but unbreakable. The other people (including Salvo) argued that their lights were brighter, and that the increased durability of the Solus was not important, becuase most users were not hammering their lights on tables or tossing them intot he air as hard as they possibly can, as Patrick showed the Solus could handle.

It's a good read. I read it a while back, so I don't rmember all of it.

The Solus line of lights looks extremely impressive and I very badly wish I could afford one...

Iceman
09-27-2007, 19:42
Thanks JahJah

Yeah, the combination of LED vs. HID and two Sellers in combat would make for a lot of noise.

JahJahwarrior
09-27-2007, 19:55
Thanks JahJah

Yeah, the combination of LED vs. HID and two Sellers in combat would make for a lot of noise.

Yeah, and TDS is like an aggression amplifier. If you say something rude there, it's like starting a war or something....good thing Bush doesn't post there, I suppose.

But it was really funny listening to multiple people trying to show that they are smarter by criticizing how the other measures lumens and stuff like that....

mm_dm
09-27-2007, 20:13
Tough argument, brightness vs durability...

I like having discussions about these subjects with a few divers I know who have been at it for 40 or 50 years, they always have a long range perspective on the things in scuba that have come and gone.

One would have to respect Patrick's efforts and eye toward the future, regardless. Just my .02

BSea
09-28-2007, 15:02
JahJahwarrior gave a good summary of the thread, but there are several side by side comparisons of the different lights. There is also a link to a video that shows the lights in actual use underwater. Not the light that this thread was about though. It was specifically comparing can lights from Solus and Salvo. Look for the pictures & the video near the end of the thread.

JahJahwarrior
09-28-2007, 15:06
And no matter what the pictures showed, each light was brighter than the other, depending on who you were talking to....:) That's when they broke down into how you measure lumens, everyoneinsisting the standard was something different, and then no matter what the lumens are, HID's cut through the water better, becuase they have magical powers and no matter how bright an LED is, particulate matter forms a barrier to prevent it's passage, like the Knights that say Ni, and only HID lumens can get a shrubbery.