PDA

View Full Version : I guess this will replace scubaboard

BSea
07-15-2007, 08:55
After being a long time reader & poster on scubaboard, this will be my new forum to past the time out of the water.

awap
07-15-2007, 09:11
I would hope not. But a little competition should make both of the boards better.

cummings66
07-15-2007, 09:34
Hopefully SB gets things back in working order, but I'd point out that every board I'm a member of has a slightly different crowd. For example thedecostop isn't like scubaboard which isn't like this one. Each has it's place and some common membership.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Appreciate them each for what they are.</DIV>

frankc420
07-15-2007, 11:16
Hopefully SB gets things back in working order, but I'd point out that every board I'm a member of has a slightly different crowd. For example thedecostop isn't like scubaboard which isn't like this one. Each has it's place and some common membership.
<div></div>
<div>Appreciate them each for what they are.</div>

I have to agreed and disagree with you. I don't think they are different people, I think they have a different mindset on each forum. If that makes sense at all... Like on SB I'm there to get possible dive buddies and information. Here, I want information on scuba gear etc. and want to help others find the answers they are looking for. On the deco stop I just want to find gear for sale cheap :)

tx.lakerat
07-15-2007, 11:19
My 2 cents..... a little competition never hurt anyone! Plus it would help ST with sales customers who are going for "free cash"!!

fire diver
07-15-2007, 13:38
I thought this was a forum to discuss what percentage of our gross annual income we give to ST each year. I live about 4.5 hours away, but ST is my "local" dive shop.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 19:55
that was a good one fire diver i bet they have made a fortune off us but saved us a fortune too.

TommyB
07-16-2007, 21:30
I'm moving to Orlando (clermont) and ST will still get 90% of all my purchases.
Even though I may have to do it online now, instead of face to face.

FishFood
07-16-2007, 21:36
What in the world...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I just tried to register at Decostop and got this...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>"The administrator has banned your email address."</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hmmm, Odd. </DIV>

frankc420
07-16-2007, 21:43
What in the world...
<div></div>
<div>I just tried to register at Decostop and got this...</div>
<div></div>
<div>"The administrator has banned your email address."</div>
<div></div>
<div>Hmmm, Odd. </div>

Maybe he doesn't like feeding fish? smileys/smiley36.gif

TommyB
07-16-2007, 23:26
What in the world...
<div></div>
<div>I just tried to register at Decostop and got this...</div>
<div></div>
<div>"The administrator has banned your email address."</div>
<div></div>
<div>Hmmm, Odd. </div>

Nothing new.. A lot of sites ban those freebie email domains due to spam.
I know on one of the sites I run/own, over 1500 freebie type email accounts can not register.

Way I look at it is, your ISP gives you x amount of email accounts. If you have to hide behind some freebie account, don't bother to register :) ..
example http://www.dow-gamers.net/vb/showthread.php?t=12626

(some even go as far as to ban entire county IP's.. Me included)
ps that's me AKA.. Acedeal

FishFood
07-16-2007, 23:34
What in the world...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I just tried to register at Decostop and got this...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>"The administrator has banned your email address."</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hmmm, Odd. </DIV>

Nothing new.. A lot of sites ban those freebie email domains due to spam.
I know on one of the sites I run/own, over 1500 freebie type email accounts can not register.

Way I look at it is, your ISP gives you x amount of email accounts. If you have to hide behind some freebie account, don't bother to register :) ..
example http://www.dow-gamers.net/vb/showthread.php?t=12626

(some even go as far as to ban entire county IP's.. Me included)
ps that's me AKA.. Acedeal

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Gah, I love my Gmail, and hate using Outlook or other PC bases email clients.</DIV>

TommyB
07-16-2007, 23:54
<div>Gah, I love my Gmail, and hate using Outlook or other PC bases email clients.</div>

Why,
for approx 10 or 15 bucks per year, you can buy your own domain name.
prime example, look at my forum account email address here.

tommy@theburchfields.name
yep xxx.name

So, I never have to worry about comcast/sbc / etc etc selling out to ATT and changing my email address again.
Long as I pay the 10 bucks PER YEAR, i own theburchfields.name

I can purchase me a little hosting for say 5 bucks per month, and with it comes online webmail.. Heck, now I can logon to my email anywhere in the world.. And my email address is not associated with spammers like hotmail / yahoo / etc etc..

The dot name is fairly new, most people don't even know you can purchase a domain name ending in dot name
only been around hmmm, a year or so. But once you own a domain name it's yours forever (unless you don't pay for it every year). or just purchase it for 10 years and be done with it...
You'll have the same email address pretty much for life (screw comcrap/roadrunner et.al.) :)

want / need more info on the .name domains

http://www.enom.com/help/faq_dotname.asp
Not that you need to get your .name from these guys, most everyone sells .name 's now. Just posted the link as they have a pretty good domain FAQ.

przeor
07-17-2007, 02:57
Thanks for the info on the .name - we were planning to start a site, and that might be just the trick for us. The webmail option is nice too!

Judestudio
07-17-2007, 07:57
I've definitely made myself comfortable here, but SB still has its place. I find that questions here answered a lot quicker than SB (good incentives here!). But there's a wealth of info on SB that can't be replaced.

TAH 73
07-17-2007, 08:02
Agreed, the wealth of archived info at the older boards is paramount. SB2 I didn't really bother with because there was little content.
<DIV>Their "biggest" posts dealt with a tank exploding.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-17-2007, 08:08
The goal was never to replace them... Heck, we still buy ads over there to support them. We just wanted our own little space, and I've got to say, for not even being up a week, I'm very happy with our little community.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We've got a bunch of helpful, and slightly crazy folks out here. I realize that this may never get as big as SB - but that's ok... But looking at the stats on both, in less than 1 week - we were running about 8 - 10% of the number of members here as they had over there for a large part of the day... </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I was talking to Joe about it and pointed out, that if someone opened a dive shop, and managed to do 10% of the business we do in less than a week.... We'd have to take our hats off to them.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm looking forward to getting my new servers in (Dell is making them up as we speak) and getting a lot of new fun things working here. As you can see from some other posts last night... cleaning paintball guns is not really all that much fun... and I like working on things like this.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Also, again, thanks to all the people who have made comments and suggestions- both good and bad - and are supporting this effort.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I tell my employees, I can run some sale pricing, build a big building, put in a pool, stock a bunch of inventory - but if we are going to be successful, it's the people. That is the only thing our competition can't simply get a loan for and buy. Same thing with this board - I can buy all kinds of servers, software, custom programming - but it's you guys that will make it special...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So thanks!</DIV>

Judestudio
07-17-2007, 08:13
I tell my employees, I can run some sale pricing, build a big building, put in a pool, stock a bunch of inventory - but if we are going to be successful, it's the people. That is the only thing our competition can't simply get a loan for and buy. Same thing with this board - I can buy all kinds of servers, software, custom programming - but it's you guys that will make it special...
<div></div>
<div>So thanks!</div>
smileys/smiley32.gif Hats off to you, Larry! You made us all special.

FishFood
07-17-2007, 09:55
<DIV>I tell my employees, I can run some sale pricing, build a big building, put in a pool, stock a bunch of inventory - but if we are going to be successful, it's the people. That is the only thing our competition can't simply get a loan for and buy. Same thing with this board - I can buy all kinds of servers, software, custom programming - but it's you guys that will make it special...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So thanks!</DIV>

I think you're not just building a customer base, you're building a cult.
smileys/smiley2.gif

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Shhh, you can't say that online. Now this forum is being watched by "the man". </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for the info ntburchf (http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=98&FID=3). That's very tempting. </DIV>

TommyB
07-17-2007, 10:26
<div>Shhh, you can't say that online. Now this forum is being watched by "the man". </div>

<div> Thanks for the info ntburchf</font> (http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=98&FID=3). That's very tempting. </div>

Your Welcome!

I own a hosting company, but I got the dot name mainly for family etc.
As there is no limits to how many names I put in front of the @.name
(well depends on who you host it with)
So you can just keep adding email accounts until the cows come home.
eg
tommy@somedomain.name
teresa@somedomain.name
bosslady@somedomain.name
etc etc etc
And their yours forever..

(got tired of my mom's / brothers etc etc email accounts always changing due to @home changing to comcast, Comcast changing to ATT, att changing to roadrunner etc.)

So I purchased a couple variants of "burchfield.name" domains :)
Problem you'll run into is if you have a common name. Lot of those are already scooped up

Foo2
07-17-2007, 10:27
What a great little cult it is!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley16.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-17-2007, 10:45
<div>I tell my employees, I can run some sale pricing, build a big building, put in a pool, stock a bunch of inventory - but if we are going to be successful, it's the people. That is the only thing our competition can't simply get a loan for and buy. </div>

Oh... I forgot to add, they looked at me and said, "What do you mean they can't buy us... 25 cents more an hour and we're gone..." smileys/smiley2.gif

Harshal
07-17-2007, 11:39
I like this new little forum setup and definately I will be biased towards this compared to SB. Being from Dallas you definately have attachement with Scuba Toys.
<DIV></DIV>SB is pretty cool as well, this will replace SB I don't know its kinda difficult.
<DIV>Another Suggestion I had was maybe Larry and Joe could start a podcast or a radio show like Car Talk- Larry is funny anyways....lol j/k</DIV>
<DIV>There is some radio show right now and I listened to it like few times and kinda got bored all the host talks about is how he is going to be training hot models and have fun with them in pool. I know Larry and Joe can do better. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif</DIV>