PDA

View Full Version : Octo-Inflators

rfreddo
09-27-2007, 09:41
I like the idea of combining two hoses, and understand the advantages and disadvantages and arguments on both sides. I'm OW now and will be pursuing advanced ratings. Would lack of a separate octo be a problem in advanced classes? In other words, is the separate octo like the snorkel in that you have to have one for class, but it's optional in the "real" world?

Thank you!

wxboy911
09-27-2007, 09:44
I don't think so-the only difference is that if your buddy needs air you pass your primary reg and use the Octo Inflator.

tbuckalew
09-27-2007, 09:49
It really comes down to safety and preference. Safety says you always have a buddy and always have a way for your buddy to share your air in case of out-of-air emegencies (including reg failure).

An integrated inflator does let you dive with one less hose - you simply use it as your primary and pass your primary on to your buddy in the event of an OOA situation.

Plusses - one less hose, less to dangle on the reef, more compact profile underwater

Minuses - lose your inflator hose and you lose two items (not just one), a bit more complex in the equipment - meaning one more thing that can possibly break, unless you replace your primary hose with a longer one, your buddy will be breathing on your hose - not as much room to maneuver around while buddy breathing

The minuses are just more wordy than the plusses. It really comes down to personal preference when it comes to a traditional octo or an integrated octo. As to whether or not to dive with on - I always do (and still use my snorkel by the way - nothing like a little chop on the surface waiting to get on the boat).

Charlotte Smith
09-27-2007, 09:57
I just bought the Zeagle Oct/inflator and my purpose was just to be more streamlined in the water and with it being a Zeagle I have PLENTY of confidence in my equiptment and if my Buddy's out of air...I want them close anyway.....

rfreddo
09-27-2007, 09:59
Thanks for the quick replies. Like I said, I've considered the pros and cons, and appreciate the additional insight each of you have added.

At this point I've made up my mind to go with the combo IF I won't have to rent an octo for training purposes. Any definitive word on requirements for training?

Thanks again!

:smilie40:

Capt Hook
09-27-2007, 10:06
My wife has been using A Sherwood Shadow + for 9 years and loves it. I, on the other hand, think it breathes a bit too wet.

CC1020
09-27-2007, 10:33
The concept of streamlining looks great on paper, but you might want to try before you buy. Practice doing some actual air-sharing ascents with the Air2... venting your BC on ascent while breathing off of the same item that you are using to vent can prove pretty challenging. You may like it fine, but it's not as easy as it might seem. Just a thought

ScubaToys Larry
09-27-2007, 11:16
Here's the training angle...

No problem... All that is required according to any of the recreational training agencies is an alternate air source... and that is.

Now that being said, there are some folks that don't like them... and if you run into an instructor or shop like that - they may say that you can't use it... but with us, or according to the rules of the training agencies - octo inflators are fine.

in_cavediver
09-27-2007, 11:38
All I want to add to those who use them or want them. Please try doing an air share ascent with one. I have seen three students do this in an advanced class and every one of them was fumbling looking for the inflater (which was in thier mouth).

There is nothing inherenetly wrong with this equipment, you just need to practice the required skills for 'muscle memory' that way, if its for real, you don't go fumbling in the wrong place for your inflater.

mulefeathers
09-27-2007, 11:50
The only thing I can add to this is that I added the Scubapro air 2 and have really enjoyed it. It was a little bit getting use to but overall good choice. I also went with the VT3 Hose-less computer. Being down to two hoses was one of the best moves I made.

rfreddo
09-27-2007, 11:56
Practice point well taken In Cavediver. Emergency procedure practice is a no-brainer in my book, no matter the level of experience or familiarity with equipment. Kind of like hanging from a suspended harness and practicing skydiving emergency procedures every time I've gone more than a few weeks without a jump, even though I have over a 1000 skydives and the configuration of my emergency handles hasn't changed in the 20+ years I've been skyding.

I'm hopeful that with a grand total of 5 (h2O) dives under my belt, overcoming whatever muscle memory I may already have shouldn't be too difficult!

ertechsg
09-27-2007, 12:28
I use air 2 ... only problem is when you shot a lift bag you have to switch over and use the secondary to do your accents since you prim is inflating the lift bag.... does take some practice

diverdad
09-27-2007, 21:05
I have a combo octo/inflator and i have been thinking that i don't much care for it. It is hard to breath off of because the hose is trying to push it down. I will probable change it in the future.

danielh03
09-27-2007, 22:19
I just bought the Zeagle Oct/inflator and my purpose was just to be more streamlined in the water and with it being a Zeagle I have PLENTY of confidence in my equiptment and if my Buddy's out of air...I want them close anyway.....

I decided to stick with my octo. If my buddy is out of air, I want him/her at ARMS length. No closer, no farther. Why? how many divers have been drowned by a paniced buddy?