PDA

View Full Version : Envoy vs. Rebel 12

creggur
07-15-2007, 09:25
So I thought I was over this whole thing, and had decided on the Zeagle Envoy as a primary reg to purchace... But it is my nature to over-analyze and torture myself, so here is my delima...

I am comparing these two regs for purchase.. I looked up both regs on SCUBADIVER and for the ergo test results they are identical, except the Mares scored one positon better on comfort.

On the breathing machine the Envoy did slightly better at more extreme diving conditions than the Rebel 12.

My delima is that the Envoy is $100.00 more than the Rebel, and I'm buying two of these, one for me and my wife. Joe has hooked me up with a great deal on the Zeagles in a custom built package. I still can't help but wonder if I'm spending more for a reg that will perform identically at the recreational depths and conditions that we will be diving in (both newbies, and live in Florida) so no cold water, nothing deep right now, anyway.

I don't mind spending more for qaulity, and the Zeagle does have a lifetime warranty, but the Mares I believe has a 2 year service interval with the new 1st stage valve material........

So will I be spending more for a reg that will do the same thing for the kind of diving that we will be doing?????

DirtyWaterIL
07-15-2007, 10:23
I haven't used the envoy, but I have used the rebel in a pool a few times and a few times in OW to about 40 feet in temps around 48. The rebel did just fine. I didn't notice anything about it that made it uncomfortable in my mouthor hard to breathe. It is just your basic no bells and whistles regulator and for the price itis a pretty good deal.

dutch552
07-15-2007, 13:33
I've never tried the Mares but my girlfriend dives the Envoy and loves it. I've never spoken to anyone who owns one that is not satisfied with the reg. I dive colder waters than she does otherwise the Envoy would have been more than enough for me. If you look at the breathing machine tests and Scott's reputation for communication with his customers and following through with his word, you'll see why I am such an advocate of the brand.

HighDimension
07-15-2007, 14:07
Speaking of the Envoy, is ScubaToys matching Scuba.com's offer of a free octo with the purchase of the reg? That'd be a pretty sweet deal!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>HD </DIV>

creggur
07-15-2007, 15:08
Well we stopped by the LDS today and looked at the Mares..... The second stage looks a little bigger and felt a little heavier than the Zeagle... Maybe that's just me trying to find something wrong with it, and it probably wouldn't matter under water anyway...

That's another positive for the folks who live near Scubatoys, you could probably stop by there and try them both out in the pool.... The one shop in town that sells Zeagle only had the DS-V reg, and they don't have a pool anyway.....

Like I said I'm just torturing myself over the price difference. I will end up with the Zeagle when it's all said and done. There is a lot more info on their web site, online product registration, PDF downloadable owners manual, and being able to communicate directly with Scott here and on SB is another significant factor to consider...

See that, that's me selling myself, I should work for those guys...smileys/smiley2.gif

cummings66
07-15-2007, 20:11
You should. I like the Zeagle over the Mares but that's just me. I think both regs would work for you, but given the 2 choices you've come down to I'd buy the Zeagle myself.

ScubaToys Larry
07-19-2007, 11:55
Speaking of the Envoy, is ScubaToys matching Scuba.com's offer of a free octo with the purchase of the reg? That'd be a pretty sweet deal!
<div></div>
<div>HD </div>

We will always meet or beat any deal... just ask us!

creggur
07-19-2007, 12:18
You should. I like the Zeagle over the Mares but that's just me. I think both regs would work for you, but given the 2 choices you've come down to I'd buy the Zeagle myself.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Took the leap last night, and ordered the Zeagleshttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif, now I just have to wait for them to arrivehttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Wonder if I could've gotten my Octo-Z's for freehttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gifI mean it is an octo right??http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just kidding, I got a great deal, and I couldn't be happier except it will be next week before I have my new stuffhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-19-2007, 20:32
When in Doubt &gt; Go with the Zeagle Reg!
<DIV>Yes! Good choice.</DIV>
<DIV>You are gonna love the Envoy. Great Reg and Easy Breathing.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Then again... I dive Zeagle regs myself. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>

Zenagirl
07-20-2007, 19:41
You made a great choice! I've been diving a Zeagle Envoy for over 3 years and it breathes as well at 133 feet as at 3 feet! I finally convinced my husband to go Zeagle and he's thrilled with his Flathead/Envoy combo....and has now gone as far as to get a Zeagle Ranger as well. We're finally a Zeagle family with our BC/reg combos. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

creggur
07-21-2007, 10:30
You made a great choice! I've been diving a Zeagle Envoy for over 3 years and it breathes as well at 133 feet as at 3 feet! I finally convinced my husband to go Zeagle and he's thrilled with his Flathead/Envoy combo....and has now gone as far as to get a Zeagle Ranger as well. We're finally a Zeagle family with our BC/reg combos. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

My wife and I are a "Zeagle" family as well, or we will be on Tuesday when our gear arrives!!!smileys/smiley4.gif

I really researched this until I was downright done!! I'm sure there is equal or better gear out there, but from everything I read you just couldn't beat the quality vs price with Zeagle.. Especially when you let Joe build a kit and price it out the way he did. I took the overall discount he gave us and divided it by the piece and man the price is just unreal!!!! No way any of the LDS's around here could, or I should say, would touch it. No problem though, it's easier to shop online anyway, which leaves me more time to dive, golf, and earn money to feed my habits!!! It's definately a win-win, which is what's making ST so successful!!

dutch552
07-22-2007, 12:30
I think you will be more than satisfied with your setup. The ST guys are fantastic when it comes to customer service and they will work with you until your find they gear that suits your diving style and budget. ST and Zeagle are a match made in heaven in my book.

creggur
07-22-2007, 16:47
Really good to hear... I feel really fortunate finding ST at the very onset of my wife and I getting into diving. I don't think our LDS was thrilled when we walked in with the Scubatoys mesh bags with all of our gear in it... And then both spent hours in there pool with our ST mask straps, but our instructor was an independant that they contract for private lessons, and couldn't have cared less where it came from as long as it was good for SCUBA, soooo...

Hey we got both of our personal gear packages from ST for about the price one package would have cost at the LDS, and that was with the so called "student discount". I mean for basically the exact same stuff....And their kits didn't include the neoprene mask strap...+10.00, the mesh bag...+$25.00, or the mask defogger...+$5.00.....

I just can't believe that they thought they could just rape us like that on the price. I may have paid a small premium to be able to take it home the night we signed up, or for the convenience if there had been a problem with the gear, but not DOUBLE!!!

Anyway, just can't wait to get our SCUBA stuff in now. It's being delivered to my business on Tuesday, but my wife says I can't open the box until I get homesmileys/smiley18.gif, she's calling it Christmas in Julysmileys/smiley4.gif