PDA

View Full Version : Best Diving related books?

WaScubaDude
09-27-2007, 22:02
What are the best books both fiction and nonfiction you would recommend for a divers library?

I just ordered a couple books;

Scuba Diving Safety by Orr/Douglas

Diver Down: Real-world accidents and how to avoid them. by Michael Ange

They looked very interesting but I haven't read them yet. I will write a little blurb here when I do.

DevilDiver
09-27-2007, 22:36
What are the best books both fiction and nonfiction you would recommend for a divers library?

They looked very interesting but I haven't read them yet. I will write a little blurb here when I do.

Diver Down is a great Book. I just picked up Scuba Diving Saftey as well but not had a chance to read yet.

For the recomendation I have to go for the Fish ID series. Especialy the behavior book.:smiley20:

johnbaggs
09-27-2007, 23:14
I'm reading "Down Time; Great Writers on Diving " by Ed, Casey, and Jim Kittrell.
Pretty good book with short stories, adventures and experiences on first timers and advanced divers.

Bought Diver Down but haven't started it yet, it does sounds like a great book though

diversteve
09-27-2007, 23:16
Shadow Divers by Kurson (http://www.robertkurson.com/book.html).

DivingsInMyBlood
09-28-2007, 00:06
Shadow Divers by Kurson (http://www.robertkurson.com/book.html).

Im half way through this book right now, its a good read.

BuzzGA
09-28-2007, 02:51
I read shadow divers about 2 years ago and it was great!

JugglingMonkeys
09-28-2007, 05:09

They look good! I'm getting both.

JipThePeople
10-06-2007, 01:28

Diver Down is a great Book. I just picked up Scuba Diving Saftey as well but not had a chance to read yet.

For the recomendation I have to go for the Fish ID series. Especialy the behavior book.:smiley20:

I agree that "Diver Down" is an excellent read. We did a review of that one as well as "Shadow Divers" on our DallasDivers.com web site. Shadow Divers may be the best dive-related book I have ever read!

datamunk
10-06-2007, 09:18
shadow divers is really good... theres another, uh, last dive? i think. i forget, havent read it but heard its really good story

BobArnold8265
10-06-2007, 16:03
Shadow Divers and Diver Down are both excellent books and also have some good lessons in them. Another good book is The Sea Hunters by Clive Cussler. True stories of finding and identifying shipwrecks.

Scubastud16
10-07-2007, 23:32
Check out "The Last Dive." Just finished it the other night, and man, what a great read. Covers everything, from warm water Bahamas, to Ginnie Springs, to Dutch Springs in PA, to NJ and Canada wrecks, even the Andrea Doria. Don't for get the unterseeboots (U-boats in German).

It's a little sad, but I learned quite a bit about tech diving and it's origins, and the history of diving and diving medicine in general.

Danny

blue37
10-08-2007, 12:05
Finishing The Last Dive right now for the second time... amazing that the author almost also died from a similar incident that the Rouses did... read Shadow Divers twice also... Great stories to learn from.

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 18:45
Finishing The Last Dive right now for the second time... amazing that the author almost also died from a similar incident that the Rouses did... read Shadow Divers twice also... Great stories to learn from.

Seriously. It's very strange that they had almost identical incidents, and that the author lived, and both died. Pretty hard to believe.

comet24
10-08-2007, 18:51
I have both Shadow Divers and Diver Down both good reads.

liuk3
10-09-2007, 17:15
Funny coming across this thread. I am literally reading "Diver Down" right now. It is a well-written educational book.

WaScubaDude
10-13-2007, 01:27
I put down "Diver Down" after reading three or four incidents. Getting a little to paranoid. I will pick it up again for sure.
I have started in to Dan Orr's "Scuba Diving Safety". Great book so far. Kinda DIY rescue book, very practical and pragmatic. Looks like a rescue class manual. Does anyone know if it is used in rescue class?

My wife is Reading "Neutral Bouyancy" and says it is fabulous. It is a history of diving, well written. Plus she has an ancestor mentioned in the book that helped teach Jeauque Custoue (SP?). My wifes last name was Prieur for those in the know, or those that want to know.

subsur
10-13-2007, 07:41
about regulators:
http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html

The Reef Set: Reef Fish, Reef Creature and Reef Coral (3 Volumes) (Reef Set) by Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1878348337/ref=wl_it_dp/104-4061780-6813507?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1TZ9O5I11Z9VR&colid=3C4KI0KNDBOLT

RoadRacer1978
10-13-2007, 07:52
A couple fiction books that are pretty good are by eric douglas.

Cayman Cowboys

and his newest:

Flooding Hollywood

CaribbeanDiver
10-25-2007, 20:46
Nonfiction: The Certified Diver's Handbook by Clay Coleman; Any of the Reef Fish Identification Book Series by Paul Humann and Ned Deloach; and Reef Fishes: Corals and Invertebrates of The Caribbean by Elizabeth Wood & Lawson Wood.

jakeeib
10-26-2007, 13:38
I have read a bunch and havent really found a bad one yet.
neutral bouyancy
shadow divers
shadow divers exposed
diving the china wreck
deep descent
simple guide to commercial diving
taming of the slough
deep diving
solo diving
the last dive
the cave divers
no safe harbor
the silent world
the hell divers rodeo
certified divers handbook
the sea hunters I and II
fireside diver
many on lost subs and treasures
there are others those are just some I see on my shelf

caroln
10-26-2007, 14:22
I thought Diver Down was an excellent book. It's all useful knowledge to have in the back of your head someplace just in case. For just entertainment value, my favorite so far has been Shadow Divers, and I also really enjoyed Pipin Ferreras' book which I can't think of the name of right now.

JugglingMonkeys
10-28-2007, 13:27
Diver Down is tremendous! A definite must read for newish divers.

cfw218
10-28-2007, 19:14
If you like mysteries, Cause of Death by Patricia Cornwell is very good. I'm reading it now and can't put it down. Warning: You may never want to dive with a hookah setup after reading this.

bubble-head
10-28-2007, 20:15
For light reading, check out Hiding on the Bottom by James Rosemond. I picked up the book and couldn't hardly put it down.

liuk3
11-01-2007, 10:37
To add to the list, I am currently reading "Neutral Buoyancy" by Tim Ecott. Very well written and entertaining non-fiction on diving. I highly recommend it.

WaScubaDude
11-04-2007, 23:00
To add to the list, I am currently reading "Neutral Buoyancy" by Tim Ecott. Very well written and entertaining non-fiction on diving. I highly recommend it.

My wife just finished it, and said it is excellent. I will start it as soon as I finish the Dan Orr book.

liuk3
11-05-2007, 19:49

My wife just finished it, and said it is excellent. I will start it as soon as I finish the Dan Orr book.

The topic of history usually puts me right to sleep, but the author really does a great job in writing about the history of diving in a captivating and entertaining way in this book. In a dive class I took this past summer, we had lectures on the history of diving, so it was nice to see a lot of the same names mentioned and history reviewed in detail throughout the book.

Blackrock
11-16-2007, 18:54
I'll put in a vote for Diver Down. I thought it was great.

Navy OnStar
11-17-2007, 08:09

Diver Down is a great book. A bunch of short stories on accidents and how to avoid them. I would read one or two a night before I went to bed. My wife and I would fight over who got to read it each night.

free.diver
11-18-2007, 21:16
I thought this book was awesome and funny:

The Helldivers' Rodeo: A Deadly, X-Treme, Scuba-Diving, Spearfishing, Adventure Amid the Off Shore Oil Platforms in the Murky Waters of the Gulf of Mexico

WaScubaDude
12-20-2007, 16:15
Started a new thread with all this info. Thanks to all that contributed!

WaScubaDude
01-24-2008, 18:37
Please feel free to add your favs!

boates
01-30-2008, 07:01
Stan Waterman has a great book. His adventures, well written and delightfully fun. Check his website stanwaterman.com Anyone who remembers his colum in Ocean Realm, Sea Salt, will know what I mean. Oh, thats the book title!

Dive4Fun
02-07-2008, 16:08
I really enjoyed Hell Diver's Rodeo.

fisheater
02-07-2008, 20:49
I just started Diver Down a couple of days ago and am enjoying it MUCH more than I thought I would.

I like the clear and informative writing style and the nonsensational accident and gear analysis.

At first, I thought that it might not be such a good book for a newbie like me, but I was wrong. This book is helping to solidfy the safety rules from OW and from reading these boards. It also shows the importance of practicing emergency procedures and planning for the unexpected and unlikely.

johnyringo
02-07-2008, 21:31
Yup, Shadow Divers is an awesome book, Also Deep Descent, "Adventure and death diving the Andrea Doria" by Kevin F. McMurray, and Dragon Sea, by Frank Pope, which has allot of stuff on saturation diving. Divers Down is a great one for ALL divers, new and old alike. We all, or should I say I, tend to get a bit complacent at times and Divers Down kinda gives us a cold dose of reality.

RoyN
02-08-2008, 03:03
My best diving related books is my fish ID book! :D

fire diver
02-08-2008, 11:57
So far I have read:

The fireside diver
Certified diver's handbook
Shadowdivers
Deep Descent.

I have liked all of them, but have re-read Shadow divers several times.
Jugding form the comments here, I may have to buy a copy of Diver Down.

I have both SeaHunters by Cussler, but I didn't really like them that much. I don't like the fictional drama of the sinkings added in to make it seem more dramatic. Just give me the facts.

johnyringo
02-08-2008, 14:37
So far I have read:

The fireside diver
Certified diver's handbook
Shadowdivers
Deep Descent.

I have liked all of them, but have re-read Shadow divers several times.
Jugding form the comments here, I may have to buy a copy of Diver Down.

I have both SeaHunters by Cussler, but I didn't really like them that much. I don't like the fictional drama of the sinkings added in to make it seem more dramatic. Just give me the facts.
Yes, I was a bit disappointed in Cusslers stuff as well.

john triggerfish
04-16-2013, 04:31
For fiction, '232 Bars' is a book set in Thailand and 'Produce Another Dumb Instructor' is the sequel set in Mexico. They describe an Englishman's journey through the PADI 'living the dream' diving system. Both are available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble and have the first 12 or so pages as a preview. For non fiction my favourite was 'Raising the Dead' by Philip Finch and I regard it as an extraordinary read; a great account of human endeavour and our ability to overcome physical and mental extremes. A great lesson too.