PDA

View Full Version : BARE Plus size wetsuits

jimmysdevoted
09-27-2007, 23:45
I know many women out theer are plus size and are having a dickens of a time finding a wetsuit that fits.
My husband and I went all over the net researching size charts. HUbby then surprised me with a BARE shorty. Its called and Attack Sprinkg suit. Its says 3mil on it.
IT FITS PERFECT!
I am a big woman, size 16 on most items.
And so many suits just dont go for my measurements.
BARE has two sizes for a plus size woman.
First a Mens large will fit a curvy 42 36 42 woman perfectly. its just a plain large.
Second in their womans section a 14+ will fit a woman 40-42/ 36/ 43-46 again within my measurements. there is only two that dont come in that size. But with the ones that do you have variety!
Lucky for us SCUBATOYS carries BARE.......... hint hint hint. You just need to carry the Artic 7mil, like the mans 7mil set in the womans product. If you did that id put it on layby.
julie

Queen
09-28-2007, 08:28
I'm wearing a mens Bare 3/2 suit, I'm tall so I had to go with the guys to get it to fit my leg length...I'd love to be able to wear a womens suit so it wouldn't be so big in the upper chest/shoulders.

ScubaToys Larry
09-28-2007, 10:53
You just need to carry the Artic 7mil, like the mans 7mil set in the womans product. If you did that id put it on layby.
julie

We carry all their stuff... Now sometimes on more expensive and less popular suits, we don't stock all of them... but one quick phone call and we can have one in any size you want delivered to our shop in about 3 - 4 days.

PhD4JC
11-23-2007, 09:39
men's shorties fit well on women, since the extra length will cover the knees and elbows. it's the full length suits that are challenging. And although mens suits have more flexible sizing on the sizing charts, like the SLG that I would be interested, I have never actually seen a suit with that size offering.

QLittlestar
02-09-2008, 17:02
I prefer custom besides by the time I get my size in mens it would be just plain ugly. Remember ladies ,it's not only how you play the game, it's how you look playing the game!!! I had a custom black with pink sleeves but it is hard to find quality pink fins although Mares made them YEARS ago.

Athena2c
02-09-2008, 17:13
I'm glad you like your Bare suit so much!

I'm a 14/16, on the tall side, and busty, and find that the strectchy Henderson suits in L fit me great! I'm completely devoted to them now!

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 10:48
I think finding a good fitting wetsuit is the hardest part of diving. By the time I get in mine I have to rest up before I get in the water!

PhD4JC
02-18-2008, 00:47
Larry speaks the truth
I LOVE my Bares Womens 3/2mm Velocity Progressive Stretch Full Suit, linked at http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BareWomensProg3mmfull (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BareWomensProg3mmfull).

I saw the size I want, 14+, but the color scubatoys.com has listed was Black/Royal and I wanted Indigo/Sky?

I sent Joe a private mesage and he ordered one for me and I dove with it in December.

And it did have enough stretch to accommodate beyond the posted dimensions.

We carry all their stuff... Now sometimes on more expensive and less popular suits, we don't stock all of them... but one quick phone call and we can have one in any size you want delivered to our shop in about 3 - 4 days.

PhD4JC
02-18-2008, 00:48
Do you wear a skin under your suit?
It makes them go on MUCh easier

I think finding a good fitting wetsuit is the hardest part of diving. By the time I get in mine I have to rest up before I get in the water!

Diver Kat
02-18-2008, 09:05
I'm a 14/16, on the tall side, and busty, and find that the strectchy Henderson suits in L fit me great! I'm completely devoted to them now! I'm a Henderson Hyperstretch devotee as well .... I'm a 16/18 on the short side, but the size 14 fits me just fine.I have both a full 3 mil and a shortie. (They didn't have the larger W1 & W2 sizes when I bought mine.)

fkostyun
03-04-2008, 19:12
My wife tried on the bare 14+ today and it fit her nicely! We have been having trouble finding a wetsuit for her in a 7mm and we were so happy it fit.

We'd tried a variety, from mens XLs to 3xl's and they just didn't fit. The Tilos 3xl had been the closest fit, but, it was too long and the neck was to big. Needless to say, she was quite pleased.

Zenagirl
03-05-2008, 07:38
I'm also a devotee of the Henderson Hyperstretch suits, even though I'm a size 12 and not a plus sized girl. I love that it's just as easy to put on my 5mm suit as my 3mm....and both are easier than my "regular stretch" microprene suit! <LOL>

I am interested to see how the Pinnacle Merino Elastoprene stacks up against the comfort of a Hyperstretch, so I may try one of those next time. ;)

obrules15
03-05-2008, 16:23
I dive the henderson hyperstretch but when I saw the pinnacle elastiprene I thought they looked like a great suit so I tried it. It was awful for me. The torso was WAY too long and the XL seemed to be built for a 6" tall woman. I now only recommend them to those with long torso issues.

snarkyone
03-06-2008, 10:15
Just to add for some of the bigger gals out there, I'm 5'7" and a 18-22 and yesterday I tried on the 7mm Bare Arctic 14+ and got it zipped comfortably. I had given up hope and thought I was headed for a custom suit (not a bad thing, but not the investment I wanted to make right now) So just a little note with words of encouragement. I know that my first day of wetsuit try on left me in tears.

Malbec
03-06-2008, 16:47
More of a men's thing than women's, but still related to BARE-

My husband is hard to fit (not real tall, but stocky) and he got the men's progressive stretch XL Short and is very, very pleased with it. In other companies, in order to get something big enough for chest/shoulders/waist it was sooooooo long and out of proportion (like the kneepads were mid calf). I purchased a hyperstretch because I am more average height and such, and I like it quite well. For people who are perhaps more tall/short or differently proportioned I can't imagine not buying BARE!

savannahbell
03-09-2008, 09:49
I am currently wearing the Bares 3m men's Xl short, fits great. Now my 7m is not a Bare and does not fit as well, lose in the neck and way too long in the legs. I have been looking into getting a Bare for my 7m but I really would like to get the ladies size Bare. I am around 16/18 in ladies and busty, after hearing everyone talk about the 14+ I think I might give is a try and see what happens.

It's more work putting on the 7m then diving. Has anyone heard anything about the new Bare suite that is supose to be out. What I heard was it is sorta like the Henderson Hyper. Just wondering.

Kokomo
03-09-2008, 19:25
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_982/Context_980/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d476%3a2%3d228/MRST5W.html?Hit=1

I just purchased this 5-4-3 suit. It's a women's suit and it seems to run a little big. Plenty of length for tall people. I am 5'7" and there was length to spare. Might be worth looking into. I didn't see that Scuba Toys had this suit but they might be able to get it.

foo
03-17-2008, 01:21
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_982/Context_980/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d476%3a2%3d228/MRST5W.html?Hit=1

I just purchased this 5-4-3 suit. It's a women's suit and it seems to run a little big. Plenty of length for tall people. I am 5'7" and there was length to spare. Might be worth looking into. I didn't see that Scuba Toys had this suit but they might be able to get it.

The problem with this suit, as opposed to the Bare women's sizes, is that the arms and legs on the Mares are sooooo long, I have to roll the "cuffs" up- should have it sized down, but I'll probably just end up ebaying it instead. The manufacturers need to remember that just because someone is a size 14 doesn't mean they are automatically 6 ft. tall... lol.

NoTime58
03-17-2008, 05:38

The problem with this suit, as opposed to the Bare women's sizes, is that the arms and legs on the Mares are sooooo long, I have to roll the "cuffs" up- should have it sized down, but I'll probably just end up ebaying it instead. The manufacturers need to remember that just because someone is a size 14 doesn't mean they are automatically 6 ft. tall... lol.

If you're interested, my wife has a Pinnacle wetsuit size Large she does'nt like and wants to get rid of. She's used it on a total of five dives. She says it feels like it's "choking" her even after I've helped her adjust the velcro closure on the collar. No........ I did'nt over tighten it either !!

Liv7301
03-18-2008, 09:03
For comparison:

I am 5'4" and a size 22. I have a 3mil Bare Progressive Stretch in 2XL Short (this is the men's version). It's a great fit for me in the torso...the arms are just a wee bit too long but it's a small enough amount that I can just distribute that up my arm a bit and not have to cuff it. In general it's a great suit and I have no complaints whatsoever.

I just got a 7mil Henderson Hyperstretch as a made to order that turned out huge. Thanks to tailoring at Terrapin wetsuits it now fits perfectly. Because it was massive and then perfectly cut down to fit me it is actually easier and faster to get into than my 3mil!!! Oh Henderson...love their Hyperstretch but avoid their "made to measure" program.

For any harder to fit curvy girl, I can't recommend Henderson enough for comfort. The most important thing is the torso fit. If it's a little long in the arms/legs that is much easier to get altered than something that fits weird in the core area, shoulders, etc.

booger
03-19-2008, 19:27
I'm glad that people are finally recognizing BARE as a good wetsuit. They have been flying under the radar for too long if you ask me. They have so many different size configurations, plus they're very comfortable. I'm 5'4" 120-125lbs. but hard to fit because of my height and the fact that I'm very muscular. I bought my wetsuit on a whim because the charts said that this wetsuit should fit me. They're well built and warm, (I have the Arctic), and I love them!

gthomas
04-01-2008, 16:14
I almost didn't make it to open water because of the whole wetsuit thing. I'm 5'10" and don't tell my wieght to any one. I've been useing a mans suit but it's tight in the chest. I don't want to spend the money on a custom suit so I looking for a suit that would fit a 18 tall. Wish me luck, or please advise:smiley29:

quarkuud
04-02-2008, 03:48
I'm short, so I can't help much except to advise against Bare for you. They seem to run more to fit us shorties. I'm 5'4" and a Bare 10 is just about the perfect length on me.

I've heard that Henderson runs tall, but looking at their sizing charts they only come in tiny (come on, 150 lbs=XXL? Wetsuits suck). The Mares Trilastic in a 16 might work, since it's extra-elastic-y?

snarkyone
04-04-2008, 12:24
I almost didn't make it to open water because of the whole wetsuit thing. I'm 5'10" and don't tell my wieght to any one. I've been useing a mans suit but it's tight in the chest. I don't want to spend the money on a custom suit so I looking for a suit that would fit a 18 tall. Wish me luck, or please advise:smiley29:

I'm a 22/24 and 5'7" let's just say that I don't fit on Bare's weight chart....at all...
http://barescubadiving.com/usa/size-charts/images/size%20charts_women.JPG

That being said, I just got my 14+ wetsuit in and it fit's me PERFECTLY (even though I weigh a LOT more thant 155) So I'd highly reccomend trying out a Bare suit. It's because of them I can do my open water this weekend (finally!!)

dreafey
04-21-2008, 17:56
I have been pretty worried about wetsuits fitting me as I'm 5'4 (nearly!! lol) and wear a 16/18 so I went to ScubaToys today to try on sizes for my check out dives coming up this weekend. I was concerned about dive places not having one to fit me well when we went on trips and decided I wanted my own. First I tried on a Bare Brigade and managed to get it on and all zipped up....I had decent mobility but it was pretty tight. I didn't know what to expect though since it was my first time in a wetsuit. I then tried on the Henderson Thermoprene 3mm and found it to be MUCH more comfortable and a much better fit!! I had GREAT mobility and not only did it fit me great in the torso, it was also great for my height. I was in the pool almost as soon as we got home so I could try it out and it felt great! Easy to move around and still a great fit! I was afraid I'd have to end up spending a lot on a hyperstretch but the thermoprene was perfect. It still has more stretch than a regular neoprene wetsuit but is a step down in stretchyness from the hyperstretch. I'd highly recommend it!! :smiley20:

jimmysdevoted
04-24-2008, 21:12
So today we ditched work both on the farm and job and went up to Cherokee lake....
I had only a BAre Shoirty.. its teh Attack mens L.
I am 5'5 and weigh 230 on average. but wear anywhere fromn a 14 to an 18

So at first I thought oh god this is not going to fit from when i bought it.. I paid 20 bucks on ebay brand new in plastic with tags!
anyway i finagled it on and zipped it up......... and got in 51 degree water.... OMG i was so comfy!

I highly recommend it for the price and fit for plus size women my size.....
julie

aaronle06
05-11-2008, 03:14
It's good to see that there are companies that don't discriminate against our more curvy gals. I'm not going to lie, when the weather gets cold, i stay in and eat, so im not the thinest waffer in the box.

violakat03
05-19-2008, 22:28
I was another one of those that was very concerned the first time I tried on wetsuits. I have yet to find a 2 piece 7mm that fit me! The only 1 piece 7mm I've found that fit, I couldn't afford. I'm 5'6" and wear an 18/22 but most of my weight is around my waist (42") so it's a tough job to get farmer jane/jacket combos to zip up past the pudge.

I found a full 3mm suit on my first try and was stoked! It's a Deep See women's 15/16 and it fits like a glove. I love the velcro collar, the (much more expensive) 5mm Aqualung suits I tried on at another didn't have this and the neck always gaped way too large since I could only fit into their men's suits. Best part was I paid under $100 for it at an LDS - the Aqualung suits (at another LDS) were priced in the $300-$400 range and that's too much to pay for a rubber suit.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2 piece that might fit? The local quarries are in the 50-60 range right now, the largest quarries will never top 60 over the summer, and I want to be able to do some local diving. I have tried a dry suit in 42 water and honestly did not find it at all to my liking. Too much fuss and then your face is the only thing exposed so it's disproportionately cold, which gave me a sinus headache and I found it difficult to hold the reg, honestly.

I think even a 7mm that's big enough I can stuff my full 3mm or a shorty under it would work for me, though I'd lose a lot of flexibility in my arms.

Martin2
05-20-2008, 09:36
[/quote]Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2 piece that might fit? The local quarries are in the 50-60 range right now, the largest quarries will never top 60 over the summer, and I want to be able to do some local diving.

I think even a 7mm that's big enough I can stuff my full 3mm or a shorty under it would work for me, though I'd lose a lot of flexibility in my arms.[/quote]

The honest answer to this question is that you just have to just try them on until you find something that works. I prefer Henderson's Thermopreme over pretty much anything else, but it is all about how it feels to you. Bare does offer an amazing range of sizes and I hear very good things about them. I can tell you that Henderson runs much larger than their size chart would indicate. Good luck!

NoSouthernBelle
07-23-2008, 17:06
Please let me know what you find! I'm also 5'10, a size 16/18 (38DD). Everything that I have tried is too short in the torso, feels like I am having a mamogram.

obrules15
07-23-2008, 19:56
Please let me know what you find! I'm also 5'10, a size 16/18 (38DD). Everything that I have tried is too short in the torso, feels like I am having a mamogram.

Try the Pinnacle XXL, it was so long in the torso I had to send it back because as I said, "I am short and fat" not tall. But it sounds like it might be perfect for you. That is also the suit that is on the ST website for $99 so you might want to hurry and grab it before it sells out.

P.S. I think they are called elastostretch on the website in the closeout section.

Eurodiver
07-23-2008, 23:34
I'm a 14/16, on the tall side, and busty, and find that the strectchy Henderson suits in L fit me great! I'm completely devoted to them now! I'm a Henderson Hyperstretch devotee as well .... I'm a 16/18 on the short side, but the size 14 fits me just fine.I have both a full 3 mil and a shortie. (They didn't have the larger W1 & W2 sizes when I bought mine.)

I went from a mild plus to tooth pick and I just got the Henderson Thermoprene and love it. Haven't got to dive in it yet cause my allergies are totally kick my butt. I am looking forward to it though. I like how it stretches. My husband has the men version and he even said the stretch is nice.
I guess I would be a Henderson devotee as well.

blue_passion
08-04-2008, 01:43

Me too!! OMG - after rubbing the skin of my knuckles trying on wetsuits today, I'm almost ready to give up before I make it to my open water.:smiley13:

What did you find?

Nothing is more humiliating that being a girl in this sport over size 12/120lbs and trying on wetsuits.:smiley21:

On another note, does anyone have experience with the Bare size 18 suit in 7/6 ml on how it fits because I don't even come close according to Bare's size chart.