PDA

View Full Version : Any Mountain Bikers here?

ccarter
09-28-2007, 10:32
See Subject.. :smiley20:

Charles R
09-28-2007, 10:37
Yep, ride once a week after summer is over too hot here to ride in the summer 120 f is just too hot

ccarter
09-28-2007, 10:50
I know the feeling.. we get ~105-110 days around here in the summer and it is freakin annoying to ride in. I usually try and wait until dusk or ride in the morning to try and beat the heat.. usually doesn't work too well though. :smiley11:

comet24
09-28-2007, 21:48
Used to ride all the time. Single track whenever I could. Have done much in the last 5 years or so. Would like to get back into it but can never find the time and a recent knee injury doesn't help. Heck my bike hasn't been out of the basement in about a year now.

cyclone
09-28-2007, 22:04
Mountain biking, climbing, hiking, you name it. I am a mountaineer.

Scuba-Bill
09-28-2007, 22:08
Mountain biking whenever I can, road biking when I have to...

TAH 73
09-29-2007, 14:03
Yep, ride 4-5x nights a week, now that the weather is a little cooler and not diving as much. Just mad the jump to a FS frame, went to swap parts from the HT over, and by the time I was done setting things up the way that I wanted, the only old part was the pedals. Bought new pedals, same ones, put them on the HT after I rebuilt it.

meesier42
09-30-2007, 19:31
when I can

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 19:53
Not me...to much work involved... my hat is off to you.

ccarter
09-30-2007, 19:56
Yep, ride 4-5x nights a week, now that the weather is a little cooler and not diving as much. Just mad the jump to a FS frame, went to swap parts from the HT over, and by the time I was done setting things up the way that I wanted, the only old part was the pedals. Bought new pedals, same ones, put them on the HT after I rebuilt it.
Cool! :smiley20: I've been riding SS exclusively this year and finally got a new hardtail gearie ordered (should be here next week). Reason for the SS is I had been riding road since I moved to an area devoid of trails and the LBS owner talked me into tryin out the new 29 thing which happened to be a SS.. which is fine for training and riding around where I live (south alabama, flat). I eventually got re-obsessed with MTBing and started entering 6/12 hours and some XC stuff.. after the 12 hour I was like.. need gears.. need front suspension.. love the 29er wheels though!

Any of you post on MTBR (http://forums.mtbr.com)? I mostly lurk except for Southeast forums and a little bit on Endurance Racing forums.

What FS bike did you end up gettin?

ccarter
09-30-2007, 19:57
Mountain biking whenever I can, road biking when I have to...
Know the feeling.. I have to drive 2 hours to get to a decent trail.. so I pretty much throw down on the road as much as I can then drive up to a trail when I can on the weekends.

highdesert
10-02-2007, 12:05
Are those the bikes with the fat, knobby tires? Sorry, been a hard core roadie since before mountain bikes existed. I even got a killer deal on a mountain bike 12 years ago, thought I'd give it a shot. Still in the basement, all shiny, after a few rides. And I here I am, in one of the world's mountain bike capitols (Durango, CO)!

For me, it's like if I wanted to go out for a drive, would I want to bump around a dirt road in a Jeep, or cruise in a Ferrari? No contest! No offense, though, I'm all for anything with two wheels on it!

Rockhound76
10-02-2007, 15:24
I'm with you Highdesert. I have a nice MTB, but rarely take it out, except on our family camping vacations. I enjoy riding it, but prefer the road.

Every summer I do a charity relay across the country. This summer we cycled from Houston to Nashville to SC to Orlando (6 days, 24hr. relay). In the past I've done Houston to Edmonton, Alberta and Houston to Lake Tahoe (via the Mojave). Next summer, if my wife doesn't put her foot down, it's Houston to Kelowna, B.C.

Rockhound, aka "Wrong Way", member of the Houston Police Bicycle Relay Team and parent of an honored patient (Leukemia research is our "cause")