PDA

View Full Version : I'm a hybrid Solo diver

charlesml3
09-28-2007, 12:23
Gang,

This idea lit off a HUGE thread of flames when posted it on Scubaboard some time ago. Anyway, I do what I call a "hybrid solo" dive. Before we get into that, I'm not into the whole DIR thing. I'm much more of a dork diver than anything else. If I don't need it, I don't carry it.

I do pretty much all of my diving in warm, clear, tropical water. I dive with a group of friends and we've been diving together for some time now. Anyway, I take up my usual position at the back of the group. The DM actually likes me there because I pick up anyone that falls off from the group. I tend to move slowly and let things come to me. As a result, I often find myself alone and just don't get worked up about it.

I carry a pony with it's own reg just in case and I use my SMB on just about every dive. If conditions don't really lend themselves to this then I stick with the group. It just depends.

I don't head out with the intention of doing a solo dive. Then again, I don't really mind if it turns out that way. If there's another experienced diver on the boat we'll usually buddy up together. I had a couple of dives in Cozumel with this German dude. He didn't speak a bit of English but was one of the better dive buddies I've ever had.

-Charles

somewhereinla
09-28-2007, 13:19
I don't know many experienced divers that don't go solo on a regular basis. I think it's a fairly common here in south cal. Try to go lobster hunting and stick with you buddy, would be very hard thing to do. Then again most divers around here dive every week and dive spots they know very well, solo diving is not something I would recomend for vacation divers, or in waters that are unfamiliar to you.

skdvr
09-29-2007, 08:28
I too se nothing wrong with doing what you are doing. If you are comfortable that is what matters most to me. If you are not completely comfortable with what you are doing then you have no buisness in the water alone (in my opinion) but it is still your call.

Phil

Theepdinker
09-29-2007, 11:13
It's easy to see why this would cause a stir on SB.
With the DIR crowd team concept & new divers being bombarded with
'never dive out of reach of a buddy'.
Then there are others who for whatever their reason
think you are wrong for even suggesting such a thing,
and plenty of people willing to post their opinion of your behavior.
(so many smilies & no train wreck)

My only comments to you,
so long as you dive with the necessary equipment, training & mindset have at it.

Theep

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 00:52
I don't know many experienced divers that don't go solo on a regular basis. I think it's a fairly common here in south cal. Try to go lobster hunting and stick with you buddy, would be very hard thing to do. Then again most divers around here dive every week and dive spots they know very well, solo diving is not something I would recomend for vacation divers, or in waters that are unfamiliar to you.

pretty much anyone looking for bugs ends up solo here in florida, unless you take a buddy to just specifically follow you underwater.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 01:26
I know that finflippers does both...even though I prefer he has a buddy.

padi1029
09-30-2007, 20:01
Doesn't anyone find it kind of ironic that PADI offers a "Search & Rescue" specality but don't you dare mention "Solo Diving". You can learn to search for and rescue another diver but cannot learn how to rescue yourself.

Like many of you said, most experienced divers end up for the most part diving solo anyway. Like Charlesml3 I too stay at the rear of the group, let things come to me and stay out of the way of the divers who feel the need to be at the front of the pack. Those to me are typically the people who are unsure of their skills and maybe not very comfortable in the water so they want to be up front near the dive navigator or dive leader. Perhaps if they were taught how to be self sufficient they would become more confident and sure of themselves.

datamunk
10-01-2007, 22:38
when you took your lcass you didnt get trained for buddy diving, you wer etrained to be self sufficient. sure buddy diving is nice, but i enjoy solo diving as well. i carry a 15cf safety bottle, as well as a lift bag w/ reel so i can always mark myself before i start up, and am always aware of my surrounding.

i dive often with a few experienced people but normally i go solo...

Jipps
02-05-2008, 09:58

pretty much anyone looking for bugs ends up solo here in florida, unless you take a buddy to just specifically follow you underwater.

Yah, i end up by myself bugging alot, normally because my dive buddies run out of air before me, lol. We start off together, they normally bag the bugs we both catch, while i keep the stringer full of fish that i shoot. For some reason my friends dont want to hold the bloody fish, lol.

DarinMartell
02-05-2008, 10:27
The only question I have with what you describe is... If you are with a different group do you tell the DM that there is a chance that you won't be following the group the entire dive? They might like having an experienced diver be last but if you will not be there the whole dive they might want to make sure the second to last person is experienced also.

Not condeming the practice, I am way too new, just wondering

Dive4Fun
02-05-2008, 12:08
I want to learn solo diving for the simple fact it's hard to find a good dive buddy around here when I have a tight schedule.

RoyN
02-05-2008, 12:27
I usually do solo dive from the boat where I use a cave reel to find my way back to the anchor.

MSilvia
02-05-2008, 12:31
Anyway, I do what I call a "hybrid solo" dive.
I don't get what you mean by that... what makes it "hybrid"?

Before we get into that, I'm not into the whole DIR thing.
Okay, but I don't really see where that's relevant to any discussion about solo diving, which is inherently not DIR, as there is no team.

If I don't need it, I don't carry it.
Very Hogarthian of you. I try to do the same.

RoyN
02-05-2008, 12:52
I think he is long gone Matt, his thread was started in September. :D

WAHMof2
02-14-2008, 16:48
I think he is long gone Matt, his thread was started in September. :D

Ha! I just noticed that too! And I was really reading along thinking this was a new thread. :smiley5:

Hollywood703
02-25-2008, 19:08
I can relate to the OP. Unless im diving with my wife..... since she is still a new diver (under 20 dives) and isnt yet comfortable with her skills, I like to be close for her peace of mind. I dive with a 119 Steel and a 30cf Pony so i have my own built in buddy. I dont consider myself a "master diver" but am confident with my skills and am comfortable in the water. I also, take up the rear, and go at a slower pace. If my wife is on the dive, i will let her lead, and follow her general heading. I dont like being assigned a Buddy, that I have not dove with by assignment, I prefer to swim at my own pace. I understand that if im with a group on a vacation, that I need to stay within visible range of the guide, but that doesnt mean you have to be right next to them the whole time.

rfb3
02-26-2008, 15:54
Most photographers end up diving "solo" too anyway.

rye_a
02-26-2008, 16:10
I agree that there is nothing wrong with solo diving as long as everyone in the group knows how you dive so the second-to-last doesn't worry when he/she looks back and you are gone.

Crimediver
02-28-2008, 09:28
Most of my dives are solo though they may not start out that way.

Foxfyre
03-03-2008, 19:13
I realize that this is not an active thread, but this type of 'debate' seems to be a perennial issue.

And while one may champion the ideal, it pays dividends to be prepared for the real. How does the saying go? Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

First...buddy diving.
Ideally in a perfect world in the land of infinite visibility buddy diving is a wonderful concept. And when we consider certification agencies who are dealing with liability and culpability issues, of course we are are going to assume that all will buddy dive - and don't dare suggest otherwise.

Now, reality. Assuming the awareness and capability to render assistance as necessary, I assume it a primary responsibility for any diver to be capable of self rescue.

(And to segue very quickly, it is rather scary to see far too many diver's who are neither sufficiently aware nor functionally capable to be effective in self rescue, let alone to effectively render assistance to others without simply becoming yet another potential contributing factor needing assistance as well. Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh. But many 'occasional' sport divers just simply are not. Oh, they may be well meaning, but that does not necessarily constitute the effective implementation of extractions skills. I am not really even complaining. Instead, the recognition of this predicates a few more steps for personal preparation.)

Limited visibility, complex environmental factors, and other factors all contribute to situations where close proximity diving is a lofty goal, but not a condition to be safely assumed.

Additionally, many functions simply do not lend themselves to close proximity diving.

At that point, not only are an astute awareness as well as self-rescue skills a pre-requisite, but I might suggest that additional tools such as UW communications (eg Aga + Dive Buddy com) become fundamental accessories. Additionally, a personal strobe, a marker strobe, cylume/electronic markers, and a positively buoyant flotation marker on a small reel/a whistle and inflatable sausage for surface deployment, etc., be considered for carry.

frsdvr
03-04-2008, 00:18
Solo diving is not for new divers. Yet many times I find that I have a "same ocean buddy" That is they wonder off, they are out bugging, or are way to far to share air in an emergency. It is always a best diving practice solo or with a buddy to be very self reliant. Yet with the expense of dive boats, it is always lousy to have to end a dive twenty to twenty five min into a dive when I commonly do hour plus dives on an 80. I just tell who ever I am diving with if they get low for them to tell me and I will wave them off on the anchor line and finish my dive. Yet this causes frowns on many So Cal dive boats.

itsmescotty
03-06-2008, 00:51
Biggest Problem I see is when they count the chickens at the end of the dive and one of them is missing. If every one knows you you might split from the group it's fine If not, ppl tend to worry.
The majority of my work dives have been solo and that's carried into my sport life. The only times I didn't dive solo in the two years I spent in the Red Sea were the few dozen charters I did because the other boats were over booked. I hate being a mother hen!

BuzzGA
03-06-2008, 21:19
I admit, that personally I am not that interested in solo diving, but if you are experienced, well equipped, and comfortable in what you are doing, okay go for it.