PDA

View Full Version : Budget near vision correction

guggie
07-15-2007, 10:23
Even though I use monovision while diving, i.e., one contact lens for far vision and the other "depowered" for nearer vision, it still is not good enough for certain purposes, such as adjusting the camera settings on the small LCD display. I'm aware of Dive OPtx, but have found the same lenses in Wal-Mart for $7.99 a pair. They may be slightly smaller than the Dive Optx, but are otherwise the same material, or so I have been led to believe. I'll be trying them out this week and will report back!

plot
07-15-2007, 11:34
I'm slightly nearsited anduse some corrective Tusa lenses that snap into my masks to replace it's normal lenses... http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TMCL

They're $30 a lens but they work great. Maybe not the budget you were looking for though, especially if you have to buy a mask they are compatible with, but it's something to keep in mind if all else fails.

The tusa corrective lens's I have are for a platina mask I think. If you already have a Tusa mask that can use corrective lens's (check out tusa.com to see), then you'll probably be able to find them somewhere. Scubatoys might even get you the specific ones you need.

If you need bifocals, then I don't know how to help you out on that one!

guggie
07-17-2007, 22:11
OK, here is how I made out with the WalMart 7.99 OPTX stick on lenses. I put one in each side of an Aqualung Favola mask. They stick well and after dealing with issues of mask leakage, had no problem seeing objects up close. You can't see the object with both eyes simltaneously however since the spacing of the lenses is too far apart because of mask design. If the mask leaks, the lens area gets flooded and they are not useful. In spite of numerous mask floods and practicing mask removal and clearing underwater, the lenses did not come loose and remained fully functional. Not a bad find at WalMart.

BSea
07-27-2007, 00:44
That's good to know. I've used the stick on diving lenses before. They do work well, but I lost 1, and didn't want to pay the $40 for another set.