PDA

View Full Version : Dive flag reel attachment

guggie
07-15-2007, 10:25
Anyone use a dive flag reel and attach it to their BC? Is this an absoulte taboo to do, or is it a relative taboo? I'm not planning on penetrating any wrecks, just lake and ocean dives.

frankc420
07-15-2007, 11:48
Well, that's a bad idea really, say joe blow rides past your flag and someone grabs it and starts to pull on it, or it gets stuck to their boat... The tension on the rope wouldn't allow you to unbuckle it, so you would have no choice but to cut the line... Worse case, tie it off and stay within 100' of it.

Cichlid
07-15-2007, 12:12
Yeah it seems that all it would take is one time for it to snag on something to put you in a bad spot.

FishFood
07-15-2007, 12:24
Tie it off and remember to ascend near it. Itll be good underwater navigation practice to ;)
<DIV></DIV>

guggie
07-15-2007, 12:44
Good points raised. I suppose I could attach it to my BC D-ring with a weak link (quick release) to protect against the boat snag. A tie off doesn't work too well if I'm moving on a course across the bottom. That would be a good idea if I was exploring a specific area though.

FishFood
07-15-2007, 12:49
Attaching it your self isn't just a snag hazard, but an entanglment hazard also.Id advise against, but if you really want to do it, make sure you remember it's there (IE, no quick uturns or going upside down), and make sure your dive buddy knows what your doing so he or she can keep a watch on you.

guggie
07-15-2007, 14:38
I'm tired of having to manage the H-shaped line holder in one hand and a camera in the other. I can't even think of trying to deal with a light for looking under things.

My buddies have untangled me already from the current line arrangement.

I like the idea of tying off the flag if I stop for a bit to look around. I'll have to do that more often.

HoosierDaddy
07-15-2007, 14:57
Both my buddy and me are attached to the same dive flag when diving at Venice Beach in low viz, we tend to work the bottom in a large area. Viz is usually so poor if we were not connected to each other and we got more than 5-10 away from each other we would not find each other again until we surfaced... I think it does pose a risk of getting caught on a passing boat, getting caught in the line yourself and so on. But that is why you dive with a buddy and at least one knife... Not much of another option. You could hold the flat? Going without a flag would not be safe or legal. Although, I do think the flag draws boaters to it rather than away from it.
<DIV>We do another shore dive and we tie the flag off on the wreck and then are free to move about the wreck with no worries.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>From time to time I float one off the back of the boat while diving in addition to the flag on the boat. Every little bit helps...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The type of dive will determine what you do with the dive flag.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

guggie
07-15-2007, 16:25
Not much of another option. You could hold the flat?

Flat? Typo?

przeor
07-16-2007, 01:01
I would never attach the flad to me- we either have someone hand carry it using a ratchet reel or we weight it down and surface up the line. I'd hate to have a boater pull my float up with me attached to it.

fire diver
07-18-2007, 11:48
Yes, tying the float to yourself is a bad idea. Get a dive reel. You have the option of letting go if needed. You can lock the reel off for any depth you want. You can also wrap the reel around a rock or other bottom structure and be "hands free" if you are staying in the general area.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

diver_daver
07-18-2007, 12:15
Tying off is a bad idea. When I started diving a number of years ago I had a yahoo in a speed boat pull up the flag and away went my buddy ~ he didn't have time to untie the line. It was a good thing we were only in about 20' water at the time. The yahoo said he had never seen the flag before and was wondering what was at the other end of the line!

I have since moved to a reel. Take it slow and practice, like any other scuba skill, I know it can still be a pain sometimes...

guggie
07-18-2007, 13:54
Seems you could rig up some sort of break-away connector to the bolt snap.

That was my thought exactly. I'm working on it smileys/smiley2.gif

fire diver
07-18-2007, 15:30
Seems you could rig up some sort of break-away connector to the bolt snap.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But then you still have the entanglement hazard.</DIV>

EuphoriaII
07-18-2007, 16:12
Tying off is a bad idea. When I started diving a number of years ago I had a yahoo in a speed boat pull up the flag and away went my buddy ~ he didn't have time to untie the line. It was a good thing we were only in about 20' water at the time. The yahoo said he had never seen the flag before and was wondering what was at the other end of the line!

I have since moved to a reel. Take it slow and practice, like any other scuba skill, I know it can still be a pain sometimes...

<DIV>Agreed. Never tie it off to yourself. I also use one of the "H" shaped rope holders to drag it around when I need to tote it . otherwise, I anchor it in one spot and stay near it.</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-18-2007, 19:14
just make sure you stay within 300 ft of that flag got a 205.00 ticket for getting a lil to far from it...i say no on the reel attachment we like to get in around trees to spearfish ... its a tangle mess

downunder
07-18-2007, 19:54
Wonder if the tie off idea goes for the safety stop anchor?? I just got one from ST (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SafetyAnchor). The idea is to inflate it and it has clips so you can just relax. I tried it last weekend. I was very surprised how fast that thing lifts off out of your hands when you inflate. Wasn't ready for that! But it was neat to just clip the 15' clip to my bc. It worked perfectly. YIKES if some dumb $%@! snags it with a boat - especially because it is not a clear dive flag or red. Thoughts?

frankc420
07-18-2007, 22:15
Wonder if the tie off idea goes for the safety stop anchor?? I just got one from ST (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SafetyAnchor). The idea is to inflate it and it has clips so you can just relax. I tried it last weekend. I was very surprised how fast that thing lifts off out of your hands when you inflate. Wasn't ready for that! But it was neat to just clip the 15' clip to my bc. It worked perfectly. YIKES if some dumb $%@! snags it with a boat - especially because it is not a clear dive flag or red. Thoughts?

I think it would get knocked around before it would get caught up on something... except maybe the propeller(s) of a boat! smileys/smiley19.gif

downunder
07-19-2007, 08:06
Well, that's my thought. I think you would pretty much have to be a retard to drive a boat over anything coming out of the water, but from what others say - it makes me worried in the slim chance.

Black-Gorrilla
08-26-2007, 17:28
Well, that's my thought. I think you would pretty much have to be a retard to drive a boat over anything coming out of the water, but from what others say - it makes me worried in the slim chance.

well, those people are out there....

just a though... why not make a weak Lb. test leader, and if a boat does pick it up, the initial jerk should snap the leader (like 8 #'s or something... maybe 6-10)

WV Diver
08-26-2007, 17:36
Check your local regs. Many places won't even allow you to tow a dive flag and the distance you can surface from a dive flag is also an issue that is not standard across the board, it is only one hundred feet around my area and I have seen it three hundred feet in other places I have traveled.

Check your fishing and/or boating regs to find out.

finflippers
08-26-2007, 18:01
In Tennessee you must stay within 50' of your flag.

I wish a flag was an optional piece of equipment. I have had many times that boats and jet skies race back and forth across my flag when I am down and they are only over there because my flag is there. Even had a boat anchor right on top of our dive sites because they seen our flag and wanted to see us. It would be safer in my opinion if we could dive without a dive flag and send up a SMB before surfacing.

Splitlip
08-26-2007, 18:02
Anyone use a dive flag reel and attach it to their BC? Is this an absoulte taboo to do, or is it a relative taboo? I'm not planning on penetrating any wrecks, just lake and ocean dives.
A very foolish thing to do.

Splitlip
08-26-2007, 18:06
No surface float should be clipped off to a diver.

tnfireman
08-26-2007, 18:17

I wish a flag was an optional piece of equipment. I have had many times that boats and jet skies race back and forth across my flag when I am down and they are only over there because my flag is there. Even had a boat anchor right on top of our dive sites because they seen our flag and wanted to see us. It would be safer in my opinion if we could dive without a dive flag and send up a SMB before surfacing.
I've had boaters anchor right above us "just to see us" many times also.I also agree diving without a flag and sending a SMB would be much safer.

greyzen
08-26-2007, 18:23

Have you considered alerting someone that you are in fear of being run down? Is your dive area big enough for the local authority to care? Are you planning on speargunning the bottom of their boats?

finflippers
08-26-2007, 18:39

Have you considered alerting someone that you are in fear of being run down? Is your dive area big enough for the local authority to care? Are you planning on speargunning the bottom of their boats?

Very few of us dive the local lakes actually I think me and my buddy are the only two that dives the lakes around here on a regular basis. I have though about the speargun idea before but they usually leave the area before I get close enough to get them.

terrillja
08-26-2007, 19:18
Here is what I do since you have to have your flag with you in NH- get some rubber bands, the small ones- staples is a good place, maybe $2 for a thousand, and then a small SS carabiner or some other attachment device- lowes is good here.

Then use 2 rubber bands between your line holder and the carabiner, attach the carabiner to your bc wherever you find it most appropriate. This way, if you get the line hooked on anything, including yourself, just yank, the rubber bands break easily, and it is disconnected, otherwise, it will stay with you.

paintsnow
08-29-2007, 22:44
I love the rubber band idea

Here is what I do since you have to have your flag with you in NH- get some rubber bands, the small ones- staples is a good place, maybe $2 for a thousand, and then a small SS carabiner or some other attachment device- lowes is good here.

Then use 2 rubber bands between your line holder and the carabiner, attach the carabiner to your bc wherever you find it most appropriate. This way, if you get the line hooked on anything, including yourself, just yank, the rubber bands break easily, and it is disconnected, otherwise, it will stay with you.