PDA

View Full Version : Places to go Scuba around Texas.

cyclone
09-28-2007, 22:40
Before traveling outside, Texas. What are the places here in Texas for Scuba Diving. Kindly put a list of starting from the best. Best season to go diving in that particular place. And how far is it from Dallas,TX. Thanks...

Vercingetorix
09-29-2007, 01:04
In no particular order; Google for directions and distance.

1. Clear Springs Scuba Park, of course. May into November: wear a 3mil suit. Then the lake turns over and IT IS COLD: 47 degree water in January. Low viz. Some fish to see. Sunken items include a 30-ft shark sculpture and a section of a training airplane.

2. Athens. Very warm water: no suit required. Low viz. A few sunken items

3. Possum Kingdom (west of Fort Worth)

4. Lake Travis (windy Point)

5. Aquarena Springs

DevilDiver
09-29-2007, 01:19
The Flower Gardens-
Early spring (low-mid 70's) Hammerheads
Summer (mid 80's) Manta's and sometimes Whale Sharks and coral spawn!!
Late summer (Low 80's-upper 70's) Manta's
From Dallas about 5-7 hours based on how you drive and stops.........

Other than this it's just lakes..........................:smiley11:

PlatypusMan
09-29-2007, 10:47
How about the following:

http://www.texasdiver.com/tdiver.pl?sites.index

cyclone
09-29-2007, 22:37
Whooaa!!! Wow!!! this is a cool link Platypusman. And I think I already found a place which I am going to be Scuba diving everytime. First choice, Balmorhea. Second, Lake Travis. Third, Athens. Forth, Crystal Springs. And last, Any diving place in Galveston, TX. Just Kewl...

You guys organize group diving? Wanted to join you with my wife just in case.

cyclone
09-29-2007, 22:38
The Flower Gardens-

Yep, definitely this one.

Vercingetorix
09-30-2007, 09:48
You guys organize group diving? Wanted to join you with my wife just in case.The ScubaDillos Dive Club does each month during dive season. Our next dive is Tyler for our Annual Pumpkin Dive. Details are on the ScubaDillo web-site

DevilDiver
09-30-2007, 13:07
The Flower Gardens-

Yep, definitely this one.

Great diving! Only one sugestion, since you and your wife are new to recreational diveing........ Please go and log some open water dives and get some experience before booking a trip to the Flower Gardens.
The diving is great but the conditions can be challenging at times. I would suggest to log some dives and get a Advanced Certifcation before making this trip.
The dives are deep and being far offshore the margin for saftey is slimmer than resort style diving.
:smiley20:

Kidder
09-30-2007, 13:42
The Flower Gardens-

That place sounds awesome. Did you dive with whale sharks while you were there? That something that my wife and I would love to do. It would be even cooler if we don't have to leave the country.

DevilDiver
09-30-2007, 13:52
The Flower Gardens-

That place sounds awesome. Did you dive with whale sharks while you were there? That something that my wife and I would love to do. It would be even cooler if we don't have to leave the country.

Have not had the chance to see the whale sharks... We did get to see the hammerheads this spring! The whale sharks come mid summer, maybe next year!!!:smiley20:

Kidder
09-30-2007, 14:01
I have put that into a plan. I would love to dive with whale sharks. I have customers in Houston maybe they I can work a business trip/vacation in. hmmmmm

DevilDiver
09-30-2007, 14:03
Now that's a man with a plan! Work the system..........

cyclone
09-30-2007, 14:49
You guys organize group diving? Wanted to join you with my wife just in case.The ScubaDillos Dive Club does each month during dive season. Our next dive is Tyler for our Annual Pumpkin Dive. Details are on the ScubaDillo web-site
Kewl Rick, thanks for the invitation. Will definitely visit the place and join you guys for the get together.

JipThePeople
09-30-2007, 20:58
Here is another excellent site aimed at the Dallas diver: http://www.dallasdivers.com.