PDA

View Full Version : Best fin for painful ankle?

RevDoc
09-29-2007, 10:03
Hello!

My wife has a problem with one ankle. Sparing you the details, it can be painful for her to extend her foot and then have pressure applied from the top of the foot. With a stiff fin, this hurts when she kicks. We know very little about fins as we are new divers. Would a softer fin provide less resistance against the ankle? Spilt fin? We would really appreciate any advice you have!

Philip

ScubaToys Larry
09-29-2007, 10:06
Your are right on the money there... Yes... A set of Apollo Bio Fins (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=apollo+bio+fin&Submit=Search) would make a world of difference for her.

JugglingMonkeys
09-29-2007, 11:46
I had ankle surgery a few years ago.
never really healed properly.

but no problems at all with a split fin.
high recommendation!

BobArnold8265
10-03-2007, 08:33
Split fins are by far the way to go for your Wife. Hope they help !!!

Foo2
10-03-2007, 10:34
Foo3 broke her ankle several years ago and it still hurts from time to time. She has found that a full foot fin helps her. Not sure why, just what she says.

CC1020
10-03-2007, 11:30
I broke both ankles in a rock-climbing fall, actually shattered the right one. My old JetFins were so painful to use, that I thought that my diving days were over. Then I tried some Atomic Splits, and they gave me the propulsion that i needed without putting so much strain on the injured area. I know all the objections to splits, but they were the difference between diving and not diving for me. Maybe they will be helpful for your wife as well.Just my 2 psi

RevDoc
10-03-2007, 15:27
Thanks for the input everyone! Seems almost universal with all the people we talked to that she would have better luck with the split fins. I think we will give them a go! :smiley20: