PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to Post this anywhere...

cyclone
09-29-2007, 22:02
Just curious, will it draw attention to the sharks if your wife or girlfriend dove and she have her period? :smiley29:

NitroWill
09-29-2007, 22:08
:disappointed:

Charlotte Smith
09-29-2007, 22:15
:disappointed:

:ignore::prate:

:nurse:Ask a dive doctor........

Theepdinker
09-29-2007, 22:28
It hasn't stopped my wife from diving.
Never seen any sharks we didn't already know about.
The ones we saw didn't behave any different than usual.

Theep

cyclone
09-29-2007, 22:28
Come on guys, I am serious. I am new to diving and wanted to know the consequences before we go somewhere and then suddenly realizes that we are the good candidate for the food chain.

Splitlip
09-29-2007, 22:50
I read an article in a a women's surf magazine. "Ask Betty" sums it up.
http://surflikeagirl.net/ask_betty_sharks.html

But there is also this from Yahoo answers

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061025195701AAVp2qz

Make your own decision, but I have never heard of any problems.

cyclone
09-29-2007, 22:54
Hmmm...Reading through the article made me think not to take the chance or even the first ones to encounter the problem. I'll just probably stay out of the ocean if she have her period.:smiley20:

Charlotte Smith
09-29-2007, 22:58
http://scuba-doc.com/rskwomdiv.htm... (http://scuba-doc.com/rskwomdiv.htm) or this...

scubasavvy
09-30-2007, 00:16
Sharks are not an issue -- no evidence of increased attacks on menstruating female divers. Heavy flow and menorrhagia may be different than light flow. This may be an increasing concern as the female diving population ages. Most women with very heavy flow probably would skip diving on those days.

From the previous article posted. I don't know if that helps...

Bigg_Budd
09-30-2007, 07:51
You're supposed to plan your trip during her "off" cycle. That way you can have more "fun" on vacation...

Vercingetorix
09-30-2007, 08:31
"It has been demonstrated that sharks are uninterested in menstrual fluids. This is not, as some dive physicians suggest, because the amount of fluid is small and discharged over a number of days. Sharks have an highly developed ability to detect chemicals dissolved in water, down to an infinitestimal 10 trillionth of a mole per litre of seawater for certain amino acids. If even the tiniest quantity of mensus is released into the water during an hour's dive, the incredible acuity of the shark olfactory system may welll be able to detect it. While certain types of blood are well-known to be hightly attractive to sharks, menstrual 'blood' is a complex fluid that is chemically very different from systemic blood. Menstrual fluid does include 'old' (hemolysed) blood, but it has been shown experimentally that sharks are simply not interested in it." I think this about sums it up. Go. Dive. Have fun.

For those criticizing even asking the question; I think it's a fair question. I'd not thought of it, being a guy with a non-diving wife. I found the above quote to be most interesting.

Damselfish
09-30-2007, 09:33
it's not a stupid question, and it's also not an issue. Don't worry about it.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 10:03
"It has been demonstrated that sharks are uninterested in menstrual fluids. This is not, as some dive physicians suggest, because the amount of fluid is small and discharged over a number of days. Sharks have an highly developed ability to detect chemicals dissolved in water, down to an infinitestimal 10 trillionth of a mole per litre of seawater for certain amino acids. If even the tiniest quantity of mensus is released into the water during an hour's dive, the incredible acuity of the shark olfactory system may welll be able to detect it. While certain types of blood are well-known to be hightly attractive to sharks, menstrual 'blood' is a complex fluid that is chemically very different from systemic blood. Menstrual fluid does include 'old' (hemolysed) blood, but it has been shown experimentally that sharks are simply not interested in it." I think this about sums it up. Go. Dive. Have fun.

For those criticizing even asking the question; I think it's a fair question. I'd not thought of it, being a guy with a non-diving wife. I found the above quote to be most interesting.

I love the way you and Damselfish answered that question for him...most men would have been to embrassed to even ask that let alone answer it...and the only stupid question is the one not ask.

Steve Scuba
09-30-2007, 14:10
Its a serious question and deserves a serious answer. The PADI OW dive manual says that she can dive during her period if her period doesn't normally keep her from doing other activities. I guess that means no shark trouble, but it also brings up other issues too. Cramping, bloating, and other effects should also be taken into account.

tremtech
09-30-2007, 14:27
Wow Red tide diving info this forum has everything

cyclone
09-30-2007, 14:44
Bwa hahaha...:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: red tide... It will be better if we just go diving in the Red Sea. To mask the color...:smiley17::smiley20::smiley2:

Daved
09-30-2007, 14:52
The first links comments on Shark smelling urine. Hmm--good thing I never pee in my wet suit!

jpep
09-30-2007, 14:55
Its a serious question and deserves a serious answer. The PADI OW dive manual says that she can dive during her period if her period doesn't normally keep her from doing other activities. I guess that means no shark trouble, but it also brings up other issues too. Cramping, bloating, and other effects should also be taken into account.

Agreed, but to paraphrase General Douglas McArthur, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

ScubaGir1
09-30-2007, 15:00
I might be going out on a limb here, but wouldn't most women wear "protection" if going into the water while on their period? :) The whole purpose of that is to protect from leaks, and well, that would work in the water too. Being a competitive swimming for 13 years, we weren't able to use the period as an excuse to not swim. :nixweiss:

Honestly, I'd be more worried about someone peeing or getting a bloody nose. :)

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 15:07
I might be going out on a limb here, but wouldn't most women wear "protection" if going into the water while on their period? :) The whole purpose of that is to protect from leaks, and well, that would work in the water too. Being a competitive swimming for 13 years, we weren't able to use the period as an excuse to not swim. :nixweiss:

Honestly, I'd be more worried about someone peeing or getting a bloody nose. :)

That is a very good point and depending on the woman she might not want to do anything but lay around the house and eat chocolate anyways during her period.

jwdizney
09-30-2007, 15:40

Cyclone, IMO you can probably take Rick's answer to the bank... GO DIVE!

cshel
09-30-2007, 16:41
I have found that my flow basically stops while I'm diving then restarts a few hours later. Guess it has to do with constricting blood vessels in cooler waters, I don't know... just go diving!

jo8243
09-30-2007, 19:54
You're supposed to plan your trip during her "off" cycle. That way you can have more "fun" on vacation...

best post.
:smiley20:

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 19:57

best post.

You got my vote on that one too...our cycles are never fun and can't be that fun for you guys either...with our PMS

cyclone
10-01-2007, 23:07

best post.

You got my vote on that one too...our cycles are never fun and can't be that fun for you guys either...with our PMS
Hmmm...Different people with variable moods I think. My wife somewhat triggers a positive vibe. She turns into a better person rather that becoming a Tiger shark that most women usually feels.:smilie39: I have 4 sisters sharing the same moods so I just know.:smilie39:

Chocoholic
10-02-2007, 17:16
It's a valid question. I read it because I wanted to know the answer too.

dallasdivergirl
10-02-2007, 17:36

best post.

Hmmm...Different people with variable moods I think. My wife somewhat triggers a positive vibe. She turns into a better person rather that becoming a Tiger shark that most women usually feels.:smilie39: I have 4 sisters sharing the same moods so I just know.:smilie39:

Then your wife & you are lucky.

I have never had an issue with this or really worried about it. Usually when I am in the water it stops (pool, bath tub, ocean). I will say that I did start a new baby prevention system that has stopped my period. :smiley2:

Flatliner
10-02-2007, 17:50

best post.

Fun or no fun, I would WAY rather go on vacation during my wife's period than her PMS...Or as her doctor labels it, her PMDD

Steve Scuba
10-02-2007, 17:56
I will say that I did start a new baby prevention system that has stopped my period. :smiley2:

I don't want to hijack the thread or pry too much, but my wife used to have that same benefit from Norplant before it went off the market, and was very upset when it did. Is it too tacky to inquire what "system"?

dallasdivergirl
10-02-2007, 18:02
I will say that I did start a new baby prevention system that has stopped my period. :smiley2:

I don't want to hijack the thread or pry too much, but my wife used to have that same benefit from Norplant before it went off the market, and was very upset when it did. Is it too tacky to inquire what "system"?

Not tacky since I put it out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirena

If you want to ask any questions about this please feel free to PM about it. I have no problem sharing my experiences with it I just don't want to completely hijack this thread.

divingmedic
10-02-2007, 19:07
I did read a story about a male dolphin somewhere that would bother women if they were diving during their period.

BuzzF117
10-02-2007, 19:15
sharks aren't going to bother with a PMSy women anyway they know better how do you think they got to the top of the food chain....

ok you other guys were thinking it

Storm
10-03-2007, 16:20
sharks aren't going to bother with a PMSy women anyway they know better how do you think they got to the top of the food chain....

ok you other guys were thinking it

DUCK!

cyclone
10-03-2007, 16:30
I did read a story about a male dolphin somewhere that would bother women if they were diving during their period.
Is this anythin g to do with same species, mammalian. Dolphins are mammals that live under water and sharks are fish. So I guess, whales, dolphins, mannatee, seals, walrus and such will attrack women with their period. And the rest don't...:smiley20:

cyclone
10-03-2007, 19:04

I love the way you and Damselfish answered that question for him...most men would have been to embrassed to even ask that let alone answer it...and the only stupid question is the one not ask.
I love Scuba Widow:smiley2:

chrissysb
10-04-2007, 11:50
I dive ALL the time with my period. I also use tampons so I really don't feel that *anything* would escape to cause a problem with Sharks, Dolphins, or anyone downstream of me. :smiley2:

dawnskies
10-04-2007, 12:00
I dive ALL the time with my period. I also use tampons so I really don't feel that *anything* would escape to cause a problem with Sharks, Dolphins, or anyone downstream of me. :smiley2:
I have to agree, I have dove many times when it has been that time of month and never had any of the area sharks(at FGBNMS) show any different behavior than when I wasn't on it.

shadragon
10-04-2007, 12:28
Check out this web site for more information.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/isaf/mens.htm

Osprey
10-05-2007, 08:13
Actually the pressure water creates will stop the flow of the blood, as long as the cycle is normal with no complications. The muscles will constrict, sort of like when we close our nasal passages

Perhaps not the prettiest image, but what can I say.. lol

Hollywood703
10-08-2007, 12:13
More importantly if she is, dont dive BEHIND her......they follow the blood trail...and you are in the trail :) Plus thats just gross....

Splitlip
10-08-2007, 17:20
Alright everybody. TMI!

BuzzF117
10-08-2007, 17:32
I dive ALL the time with my period. . :smiley2:

So it's your dive buddy?

Splitlip
10-08-2007, 17:55

So it's your dive buddy?

:smilie39:

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 18:26
Big negative! Read about it once in a surf magazine.

cyclone
10-08-2007, 18:31
We are all adults here anyways, I have question regarding tampoons. Whats the difference between using regular pads and tampoons when your underwater? Can regular pads work or tampoons are best to use? Never seen my wife use tampoons, so I am just curious. Thanks...

cyclone
10-08-2007, 18:33

So it's your dive buddy?
I think the buddy follows if it is attracked enough with the period. (tiger shark buddy).:smilie39: J/K:smiley2:

chrissysb
10-08-2007, 18:46
We are all adults here anyways, I have question regarding tampoons. Whats the difference between using regular pads and tampoons when your underwater? Can regular pads work or tampoons are best to use? Never seen my wife use tampoons, so I am just curious. Thanks...

Yikes. Um... Okay. Well tampons are inside the body and pads are outside. Pads are more like mini diapers. I could not even imagine diving with a pad as it would be a wet sloppy mess when you got out of the water.

Now a tampoon... That's a different story. According to answer.com:

Tam·poon
n.
[See Tampion.]
The stopper of a barrel; a bung.

Actually, not that far off :smiley36:

BuzzF117
10-08-2007, 18:49

later im outa here it was fun while it lasted...somethings are better left unknown

Splitlip
10-08-2007, 19:22

later im outa here it was fun while it lasted...somethings are better left unknown
Like I said. Too much information.

datamunk
10-08-2007, 19:23
uh, well, if you wont dive with your bleeding female, make sure you dont spearfish because they will give off much more delicious blood than your female friend... was that a serious question?

cyclone
10-08-2007, 19:53
was that a serious question?
Ah...Hmmm...Pretty much I guess... I think my only question is how it performs underwater. Before the it turns out to be something else...:smiley29: