PDA

View Full Version : Referral Contest

NitroWill
09-29-2007, 22:45
Well...today's the last day for the big referral contest with the huge prize of $250 in scubatoys giftcards!

Who thinks theyve got it in the bag? I think ive seen someone with ~300+ posts..

Charlotte Smith
09-29-2007, 22:49
Wow was it a founding member? Or someone from the store?

finflippers
09-29-2007, 23:04
I hope it's me. I could really use some tanks.

scuba Widow
09-29-2007, 23:10
Anybody know exactly when it ends?

NitroWill
09-29-2007, 23:14
says it ends the 30th which is..right now - if youre on east coast :)

scuba Widow
09-29-2007, 23:17
Thanks Will!!!!

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 00:26
i would guess at midnight on the 30th? it is still a day right?

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 00:38
says it ends the 30th which is..right now - if youre on east coast :)

does that make it unfair for the west coasters here? what about the Hawaiians?

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 01:27
I think it has been made fair for everybody really...we just all need to post.

jwdizney
09-30-2007, 15:27
finflippers probably has the highest referral post counts i've seen, just don't know the parameters for which month..... Good Luck Fin!

finflippers
09-30-2007, 15:32
Good Luck Fin!

Thank you jwdizney
I will need all the luck I can get.

FyVe
09-30-2007, 20:37
^ 506 wow. lol i think he's winning. people must be posting like nuts for him

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 21:47
Has the contest ended?

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 21:48
^ 506 wow. lol i think he's winning. people must be posting like nuts for him

if by people you mean scuba widow, then you are right. all over the place.

ScubaToys Larry
09-30-2007, 21:50
Yes, we are getting ready to add some necessary microsoft patches to the server, and it will have to go through a reboot when we do it, so at one point this evening, I had to call it done... and it was a close one... But heck... I'm tired... watching the end of the game...

I guess I'll tell everyone who won the referral and who won the post contests tomorrow.

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 21:54
Yes, we are getting ready to add some necessary microsoft patches to the server, and it will have to go through a reboot when we do it, so at one point this evening, I had to call it done... and it was a close one... But heck... I'm tired... watching the end of the game...

I guess I'll tell everyone who won the referral and who won the post contests tomorrow.

i though that the servers was switching to Linux? why add microsoft patches?

ScubaToys Larry
09-30-2007, 22:10
It's still on a windows box now.... We are working on setting up the unix box, but the hosting place where my servers are does their maintenance and updates all patches on Sunday nights when the servers aren't too busy. Won't hurt much... load some patches, and a quick reboot - should be down about 5 minutes max.

Should be on unix by next week some time.

Kidder
09-30-2007, 22:17
It's still on a windows box now.... We are working on setting up the unix box, but the hosting place where my servers are does their maintenance and updates all patches on Sunday nights when the servers aren't too busy. Won't hurt much... load some patches, and a quick reboot - should be down about 5 minutes max.

I'm not super knowledgeable on computers, is the unix going to be faster/easier to maintain? What's the motivation for the switch?

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 22:20

I'm not super knowledgeable on computers, is the unix going to be faster/easier to maintain? What's the motivation for the switch?

im gonna take a stab at this one. windows has way too many problems that unix does not.

ScubaToys Larry
09-30-2007, 22:39
For just plain ole' web serving... unix has less overhead. PHP and mysql which is what the board run on are actually unix programs - so then you're creating hassles by doing windows conversions - using more resources, etc. So yea... it just does better with fewer slow downs.

Kidder
09-30-2007, 22:55
For just plain ole' web serving... unix has less overhead. PHP and mysql which is what the board run on are actually unix programs - so then you're creating hassles by doing windows conversions - using more resources, etc. So yea... it just does better with fewer slow downs.

That's pretty cool. I hope your switch over goes well.

scuba Widow
10-01-2007, 19:24
Has the winner been announced?

Kidder
10-01-2007, 19:49

Larry's probably sifting through the spam posts. (posts with out content).

CrzyJay456
10-01-2007, 21:03

hardly seems possible that anything dealing with windows will go over smoothly (that is what it's coming from)

got to you too huh?

Kidder
10-01-2007, 21:06

hardly seems possible that anything dealing with windows will go over smoothly (that is what it's coming from)

got to you too huh?

Nah. That's just what he said he was going to do. No worries :smiley2: I'm totally addicted to this forum. Its a great place.

Black-Gorrilla
10-01-2007, 23:28
this is a great place!!! im surprised that a windows pc running a forum with so much movement is still in one piece! i use windows at home, but only cause im saving up for a macbook pro

ScubaToys Larry
10-02-2007, 09:48
Ok, we have a winner. It took a bit of crunching numbers for the time period we were dealing with...

But I'm proud to announce the winner of the Referral contest. Not only did they have the most referrals with 5 people referred, each of them had posts in varying degrees, and came in with the highest total posts as well.

It was close, and thanks to the others that brought new folks into the board, and congrats to our winner: Skdvr!

finflippers
10-02-2007, 09:53
Congratulations Skdvr!

dallasdivergirl
10-02-2007, 09:55
Go Skdvr!

Congrats! :)

datamunk
10-06-2007, 20:58
is there always a referral contest goin on each month? i havent seen any info about it?