PDA

View Full Version : Gear that you wish you had upgraded from the start

Rascal1933
07-15-2007, 13:36
Hey There Divers,
<DIV>Question:</DIV>
<DIV>What piece of gear that youpurchased,do you wish you had went ahead and up-graded and bought from the very start?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>For me it would be a nitroxcapabledive computer. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>
<DIV>I should have known that I would have needed/used one eventually...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How about You?</DIV>

GLENFWB
07-15-2007, 14:17
<DIV>A good, well fitted mask! Spent to much time with a leaking bad fitting mask.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
Hey There Divers, </DIV>
<DIV>Question:</DIV>
<DIV>What piece of gear that youpurchased,do you wish you had went ahead and up-graded and bought from the very start?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>For me it would be a nitroxcapabledive computer. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>
<DIV>I should have known that I would have needed/used one eventually...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How about You?</DIV>

dutch552
07-15-2007, 14:32
Should have tried more fins before I bought my first set. The TUSA's are good, just too stl for me and I don't like the funny angle of the blades.

FishFood
07-15-2007, 15:02
Wetsuit. I wish I had gotten a farmer john instead of the one piece.

cummings66
07-15-2007, 20:53
I'd say my BC is the only thing I wish I did different. Should have went with a BP/W instead of a traditional jacket BCD.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The other things were just part of normal diving. There's always something wearing out and you replace it, usually with something better. My computer for example. The first was a React Pro which was nice and worked fine, but the Oceanic VT3 is so much nicer.</DIV>

frankc420
07-15-2007, 22:14
I wish I had not bought my whole first setup! Everything I have now is different, except for my wetsuits.

przeor
07-16-2007, 02:16
While I enjoyed my jacket (oceanic probe) I really really like my BP/W and wish I had it from the start. Although I guess I enjoy it even more having something to compare it to, now i know just how good I got it! The only other thing I switched was my fins Biofins to Jets- once my ankle healed up I found I prefered the stiffer fin.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hopefully I don't have to change anything on my doubles set, I think we learned what was good before we made these last purchases!</DIV>

jacewindu
07-16-2007, 09:31
better fins - i was using old ones with booties that were uncomfortable after just a few dives

medic001918
07-16-2007, 10:18
I'd say my BC is the only thing I wish I did different. Should have went with a BP/W instead of a traditional jacket BCD.
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I agree. The BP/W first time around would have been the best way to go for me. Now that I own a BP/W, I wont' ever go back to a jacket. For me, it really is that much better.

Shane</DIV>

awap
07-16-2007, 10:32
Wetsuit. I wish I had gotten a farmer john instead of the one piece.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm just the opposite. I started out with a FJ and then went with a 1-piece. The problem with a FJ is they just don't have a very good neck seal so water flows thru offsetting any advantage you might have expected from the added neoprene on the torso. If you need more protection than the 1-piece, add a hooded vest. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Most stufff that you end up upgrading will do well as backup gear including masks and regulators. But do take a hard look at a backplate and wing before you waste time and money with a conventional BCD. In the end, the BP/W will work better and/or cost less. </DIV>

cutter77
08-23-2007, 21:55
Should'a, could'a, didn't buy a nitrox puter to start with.

Zenagirl
08-24-2007, 07:46
BC for sure. Started with "the most popular women's BC" (bought used on ebay thankfully) and after less than 10 dives knew that it wouldn't ever fit right. Sold it (for what I bought it for) and got a Zeagle Zena.

TAH 73
08-24-2007, 08:20
A quality suit.
Dove in a cheap suit for too long, a quality suit with better zippers, better fit, better features. I have a 3 mil thats warmer than the first 7mil I dove in. When doing my recert all the course participants were in 7 mil's and complaining about being cold, I had my 3 mil on and had to dive without gloves and such to avoid overheating.

fire diver
08-24-2007, 08:36
Yeah, I shoulda started off with a rebreather!

With the thousands I've spent on regs and tanks, and doubles, and bc's, and plates, wings, stage bottles, oxygen cleaning...

coulda woulda shoulda

FD

-edit- LOL if I had started with a rebreather, I would probably be saying how I should have started with such-and-such better rebreather...

Charlotte Smith
08-24-2007, 08:48
I wish I had bought a wrist computer that was air-integrated cause the console is a pain for me to constantly find and keep an eye on so I end up swimming slower....I have way to much other stuuf hanging on my BC that I use.

in_cavediver
08-24-2007, 17:28

With the thousands I've spent on regs and tanks, and doubles, and bc's, and plates, wings, stage bottles, oxygen cleaning...

coulda woulda shoulda

FD

-edit- LOL if I had started with a rebreather, I would probably be saying how I should have started with such-and-such better rebreather...

You know, your right. I should started with a CCR.

Actually list of items:

1) BC - started with Ranger - now BP/wing
2) Reg - started with sherwood - 3 Dive rites and 4 zeagles to keep in company
3) Wetsuit - Should have just got a good drysuit
4) Steel 120 - H valve - Now doubles and sold the 120
5) React Computer - Now using the Delta-P VR3

Things I bought with no regrets

1) Prescription mask. If you wear glasses - these ARE GREAT
2) My own gear - No mater what it is, having it means you can dive cheap

DirtyWaterIL
08-24-2007, 18:36
regulator. i wish i would have gone right to poseidon jetstreams instead of a mares abyss.

mm_dm
08-24-2007, 19:08

coulda woulda shoulda

FD

Actually list of items:

I feel your pain brothers...and I'm still saving for the VR3

cummings66
08-24-2007, 19:11
My Mares BC, I wish I had got the DSS BP/W to start with. So much nicer.

finflippers
08-24-2007, 19:18
Nitrox computer. That is the only thing I have not replaced yet so if I would of done it right to start with I would be done.

But then again I have been thinking of buying a different wing and maybe going to a back plate instead of a harness. And I am working on getting my 250 post to get a newer tank. Hummmmm I do want to go to din regulators instead of yoke. I guess it is back to getting it all over again. LOL

subsur
08-24-2007, 20:44
hmm, i'm not too happy with one piece wetsuit. i'm not sure if farmer john would be better though. actually, i'm quite disappointed in the hood
i feel cold on the forehead when the temperature goes below 52 or so.
i could upgrade fins and mask in the future. i'd get apollo bio-fins and a mask with black skirt.

in_cavediver
08-24-2007, 21:15

coulda woulda shoulda

FD

Actually list of items:

I feel your pain brothers...and I'm still saving for the VR3

Its even worse - My wife dives too! Now its 3 sets of doubles, 4 drysuits and 2 VR3's

The plastic is still in the ICU from the shock of it all.....

Flatliner
08-24-2007, 22:45
OK, I would NEVER admit this on SB because of the flaming I know would follow BUT I HATE MY SNORKEL. Not snorkels in general mind you, just mine. I wish I had gotten either a foldable to keep in my pocket or a dry for when I am planning on a surface swim. Either way, I would have been MUCH happer than I am with the stupid $40 snorkel I have.

cummings66
08-25-2007, 07:14
I can't say I disagree with you, I hate mine as well. However certain classes require it and I had to once again use one for the Rescue course I took. I haven't had one on in years and it brought back a lot of bad memories.

However, it wasn't a bad purchase because it is required gear for many courses. I just don't like them.

Bill22
08-27-2007, 05:37
I'm pretty happy with my gear, but I haven't tried a bp/w yet :-) When I bought my current setup (after not diving for over ten years) I talked to experienced people and read a lot of reviews. I can't say that I'm really unhappy with anything.... yet ;-) I generally spent the money to buy "Testers Choice" gear, unless I saw something that particularly appealed to me in the review. Pretty lucky I guess considering I bought everything except my mask online :-) The only minor thing I changed was my booties. Should have gotten hard sole to begin with. Wasn't thinking about doing beach entries over rocks :-) I'll most likely be spending money on camera equipment before I spend more on scuba equipment.

medicdiver
08-27-2007, 05:42
The one thing that I wish I would have upgraded from the start would be my bcd. I am going from an Oceanic Probe to a BP/W. I have really enjoyed diving with the BP/W this year. It seems to fit me better than the Probe ever did.

scubafreak
08-27-2007, 19:17
My Blade II fins. I was pushed into buying them by the LDS at the time. She saw me coming.

Liv7301
08-27-2007, 21:47
I have been really happy with my gear so far. What I seem to be doing now is adding more...such as a shorty in addition to my full wetsuit.

I did buy hardsole booties today at ScubaToys though. I liked my first booties fine enough but didn't like feeling the rocks through the soles and I tend to get a funny blister from the seam that runs right up the back of the ankle.

ScubaJenn81
08-28-2007, 05:23
From reviews that I have read, those new fins that fold up look quite nice. I have major issues getting my fins on on shore dives. It takes me forever, as I keep falling over in the waves, no matter how much help I get from my buddy.

TravisD
08-28-2007, 11:29
I wish I'd have gotten another Atomic reg as an Octo, instead of the Aeris Gyro. The Gyro has already had to go back in for adjustment, with only 10 dives on it.

georoc01
08-28-2007, 11:50
I bought a shorty because of the high rental rates on the ship ($20 a day), so while it paid for itself, I never use it anymore, preferring my 3mm full.

Bill22
09-04-2007, 19:08
From reviews that I have read, those new fins that fold up look quite nice. I have major issues getting my fins on on shore dives. It takes me forever, as I keep falling over in the waves, no matter how much help I get from my buddy.

Ahhh.... that is a good point. I had forgotten about those. I didn't see an advertisment or article on them until after I had bought all my gear. Yes I can definitely see that. I'm doing beach entries over rocks and it is a real pain getting my fins on and off. I have a number of nicks and small tears in on my wetsuit (especially the knees) from slipping or trying to keep my balance while getting pushed around by surge putting my fins on or taking them off.

I wonder has anyone used these fins and what their experience with them is?

Aussie
09-06-2007, 00:18
Gear that I wish I had upgraded from the start:

*Expensive Dive Knives........upgraded to cheap shears
*Jacket BCD.......upgraded to BPW
*Cheap computers..........upgrade to more robust ones
*Compact digital cameras.......upgraded to DSLR

It comes down to experience I guess or learning from experienced people.

Aussie

Vercingetorix
09-10-2007, 11:33
My Blade II fins. I was pushed into buying them by the LDS at the time. She saw me coming.Same here. I was buying basic gear for OW class (mask,fins,booties,snorkel). I had never been diving and told the sales guy that I was not a powerful swimmer/kicker. He tells me the Blades II are very popular and on sale (down from $130 to $100). I used those for about 5 minutes. Removed em and have never looke back. I took them to ScubaToys and told Will of my experiences. He got me in the right fin (Aeris Velocity hybrid) which I love.

The guy that sold me the Blades II saw me coming.

scubasavvy
09-10-2007, 12:40
My dive computer...I want a Sherwood Wisdom 2 so bad that I dream about it...

divingmedic
09-11-2007, 16:43
I like everything I have, just wish I could have afforded a AI dive computer, but 5 years ago those things were outrageous.

Capt Hook
09-11-2007, 19:24
Fins! Could have gotten better fins for the price; but newbie bought from LDS.

diverdad
09-11-2007, 21:21
OK, I would NEVER admit this on SB because of the flaming I know would follow BUT I HATE MY SNORKEL. Not snorkels in general mind you, just mine. I wish I had gotten either a foldable to keep in my pocket or a dry for when I am planning on a surface swim. Either way, I would have been MUCH happer than I am with the stupid $40 snorkel I have.

ok let the bashing begin:smilie39:.as being a newbe i still use mine as well its handy in rough surf if you want to save on air. i would have up graded my computer to nitrox.

toecheese
09-11-2007, 22:34
just a quick question what is a bp/w?
something with wings, I take it.

sudnit5
09-12-2007, 15:40
I like all the gear I have. A better computer would be nice, but my wallet disagrees.

TxHockeyGuy
09-14-2007, 10:54

A backplate with wings.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRiteAluminumbBackplate
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=LarryGreenBladder

It is a more simple setup with no pockets held together with webbing.
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DiveRiteBasicHarness

Some like the more minimalistic approach and like the heavy backplate because it takes some weight off of your weight belt and puts it on your back.

Charles R
09-14-2007, 11:16
Everything I have re-bought every single piece of equipment I first bought.
Sold: My Aries Atmos Xt
Bought: Halcyon BP/W

Sold: Cressi Sub Ti Regulator Set
Bought: Dive Rite 2500 Regs

Sold: Mares Volo Fins
Bought: Jet Fins With Spring Straps

Sold: Mares 7/5/3 Wet suit
Bought: Bare Dry suit

Sold: Dacor Darwin AI Console Computer With Compass
Bought: Tusa DC800 Wrist Computer
Bought: Scubapro Wrist Mount Compass

I should Have rented and saw the Path I was interested in but like all NOOBS I was way to excited and bought all of my gear. lesson learned I am glad I was able to get close to what I paid for everything so I did not loose out to big on my initial investment. But dont tell My Wife she thinks its all the same gear :smiley20:

chinacat46
09-14-2007, 11:20
For me it would have to be the BC. I had a cressi-sub jacket style and now use a Dive Rite Transpac and Travel Wing.

tremtech
09-14-2007, 12:54
Dont get Me started .I started out with a 1990 Dacor chest choker bc, you know the ones with the co2 emergency rocket launcher inflator in the pocket ,Lds said I would still have it in the year 2000( I do, its been in the attic since 1991) I used an Oceanic jacket for a few years (not bad), upgraded to Mares (yea right ) it was junk the stitching came undone ,then the Tackle Shack in St Pete sold me Scubapro classic I thought I died and went to heaven. Then a commercial diver buddy let me borrow his Dive-rite transpac 2 in 2004, I bought 1 the next morning, the Scubapro and the dacor have been collecting dust together since. My son still dives the Oceanic . As far as Mask :black skirt should have been my first choice with a slight tint for spearing .My fins: SP Jets in current and caverns and Cressi reactors in everything else .My Gauges: Suunto Gekko and my Viper are both decent for nitrox but very conservative,the next will be a Dive-rite VR3, or if I convert my transpac to closed loop rebreather I'll use duel Hammerheads. Regs: 1991 Sherwood Blizzards not bad breathers but My 2006 Mk25/600 and 2006 Mk17/s550 breathe way easier at 130 feet I also dove a Dacor Areo for a while in 97-98(junk). My next regs will depend on if I switch to a rebreather. Posiden or Dive-rite rg 2500s otherwise.Wetsuits I should have bought one that was more comfortable. Last but not least tanks, should have bought steel 95's or 100's the first time just for the bouyency change and the volume of gas.I have an 1987 luxfer 80 for sale (joking)I can't get it filled

Flatliner
09-24-2007, 21:47

Have you tried fins with spring straps? I just bought a pair of diverites with springs and they are WAY WAY WAY easier than my mares with the buckles ever were.

Flatliner
09-24-2007, 21:50
But dont tell My Wife she thinks its all the same gear :smiley20:

:smilie39:
I think mine just pretends not to notice

Vercingetorix
09-25-2007, 10:57

A backplate with wings.

Some like the more minimalistic approach and like the heavy backplate because it takes some weight off of your weight belt and puts it on your back.I prefe my SS BP in case my buddy tries to spear me underwater. Other than that, I wear no weights in a 3mil and fresh water.

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 14:46
Wish I would have bought a nitrox computer from the start as well as spring straps. Won't own a pair of fins without spring straps.

caroln
09-25-2007, 15:41
I wish I bought a BP/W instead of my BCD, paddle fins with springs instead of my cool looking clear but highly annoying Cressis, a hyperstretch hood instead of the hair yanking torture device I have now, hard soled booties instead of quasi soft, a proper light instead of the C8 that I hate. As someone else said, almost every piece of gear I initially bought has been resold and bought again. The only things I have no regrets on are my computer and regs (although I did change out the hoses on those).

mm_dm
09-25-2007, 16:20
Everything I have re-bought every single piece of equipment I first bought.
Sold: My Aries Atmos Xt
Bought: Halcyon BP/W

Sold: Cressi Sub Ti Regulator Set
Bought: Dive Rite 2500 Regs

Sold: Mares Volo Fins
Bought: Jet Fins With Spring Straps

Sold: Mares 7/5/3 Wet suit
Bought: Bare Dry suit

Sold: Dacor Darwin AI Console Computer With Compass
Bought: Tusa DC800 Wrist Computer
Bought: Scubapro Wrist Mount Compass

I should Have rented and saw the Path I was interested in but like all NOOBS I was way to excited and bought all of my gear. lesson learned I am glad I was able to get close to what I paid for everything so I did not loose out to big on my initial investment.

Been there, done that....

But dont tell My Wife she thinks its all the same gear :smiley20:

She knows, trust me, she knows

bversteegh
09-25-2007, 23:21
A better regulator - My first regulator was a US Divers Aqualung 2 (I think, bought it in 1978), and I was too cheap to buy a new one. Even though I kept it serviced, it always breathed a little wet, which was making me quesy (didn't figure this out until I finally bought a new reg and was never sick again:smiley20:).

Buoyant1
09-26-2007, 11:32
Well...first was the mask...I bought one with a HUGE airspace for snorkelling, and it didn't lend itself to being cleared easy...then I got rid of the HUGE snorkel for a tube...

I can't say my BC because I really LOVE my BC, but I'm considering getting a TransPlate.

LCF
09-27-2007, 00:05
Of all the things I bought when I got certified, I still use precisely two: my singles regulator is the Aqualung Titan I bought, and I still have my first drysuit.

Original BC lasted three months, and got discarded for a BP/W.

Splits lasted three months, and got discarded for jets.

Original UK light got discarded for NiteRider HID which got discarded for Salvo 21W HID (which is my most beloved piece of gear).

I've been through several masks and finally found one that doesn't leak.

My Cobra console lasted about six months and got discarded for a Mosquito which subsequently got put away in favor of a Vytech, which has numbers I can actually read.

Suunto SK-7 in the console got put into one of DSS's boots and resides on my wrist.

Everything got rethought as I figured out what kind of diving I was going to do, and what worked for me. But I don't regret buying any of it in the beginning, because as a result of having it all, I DOVE.

RoadRacer1978
10-10-2007, 16:24
Well, maybe a better BC and Reg. But still haven't replaced them. They still work very well and moneys not there still :( . Someday though. Overall I am happy, I got what I could afford and it serves my needs, after all, I get to dive when I want and that is really what matters most.

ertechsg
10-10-2007, 16:45
NON love all my gear or wouldn't have bought it although would like to have the bio fins

Scubastud16
10-10-2007, 18:03
Maybe a better reg. It suits me fine, but I'll have to upgrade when I do deeper diving (past 100). The second stage is also a bit to big for me (Mares MR12).

Different boots, I just bought some cheap 2mm low tops that slide in, I'm asking for some 5mm zip-up high-tops for Christmas :)

Wish I would have shopped around for a different mask, I love my second one SO much more.

floater
10-10-2007, 18:48
Well, there's a bunch of stuff, but some of it I had to use known what my preferences were.

1. Environmental seals for my Dive-Rite regs. Still haven't upgraded but I need them, wish I bought the right off the pat.

2. Currently I prefer narrow, well-balanced (no rear bias in lift) donut wings. Bladderless for rec, inner bladder-outer shell kind for tech. Though the Mach V Extreme is tempting. I went through 2 horseshoes and one donut with significant rear bias before learning what I liked.

3. Can light instead of the powerful hand-held torch I sold off almost immediately, though I still wonder whether I the 21W was the right choice instead of a small 10W.

4. Fins. Still searching for the ideal fin. I've given up on splits. Still contemplating force fins. And within the jet fin category (my current preference) I've tried IDI Frog Foot fins (L), Scubapro jets (XL), OMS slipstreams (XL), XS Scuba Power fins (XL) and XS Scuba Turtle fins. The turts were a mistake and a panic buy because my drysuit boots didn't fit in jets right before a dive vacation (not bad fins just bad size for me). I still love the Scubapro jets, OMS slips seem fine too, but I'm switching to Power fins because the pocket is more comfortable for me.

5. Bi-lam drysuit. It was a decent deal, but soon after I found a super cheap compressed neoprene suit on ebay so in hindsight I wish I hadn't spent money on the shell suit.

6. Various cam straps. My current preference is for SS hinge buckle straps (scubapro style).

7. Wish I had bought a basic folding J-type snork so I could keep it in the pocket instead of a basic snork with purge valve.

8. Flash deflector for my reefmaster DC310 was a mistake - I prefer to use my hand to reduce flash intensity.

9. Cheap safety sausage instead of a proper SMB.

I'm sure there are other things but that is what came to mind right now. Nothing too big I suppose.

BuzzF117
10-16-2007, 18:13
I kinda wish I would have been able to get a better reg. I presently have a SP MK2 I like it but would have preferred something better but the cost of a better reg would have been more then I paid for all my gear. Bought it from somebody going through divorce.

nuff said
Buzz

CaribbeanDiver
10-22-2007, 20:36
the truth is, you never, ever stop upgrading.

DUnder
10-24-2007, 14:45
BCD, I bought a used Mares BCD, I should have rented/ tried different BCD's. I still i'm not sure what I want.

Wetsuit, Started with a cheap FJ want to go to a 1 piece 7mm.

MSilvia
10-24-2007, 14:59
The only things from my original kit that I still use are my Dacor mask, Mares Avanti fins (which I upgraded myself with DIY spring straps), and SAS custom wetsuit. Everything else has been sold or relegated to the backup bin.

Out of all the things that I changed though, I most wish I had gotten into a backplate and wing earlier.

scubajane
11-14-2007, 19:09
I'm looking at new fins. way too many to think about. I like the idea of spring backs. I fight hard to don and doff fins.

chace_nicole
11-14-2007, 22:32
I wish I would have bought open heeled fins.

Navy OnStar
11-15-2007, 08:37
I'm in the Fins Group as well. Bought them for the the OW cert not knowing anything about diving. I would have liked to try every pair the shop stocked before buying. They were good about the mask. My wife got a purge mask and it let in too much water right at her nose and she fought it for the entire class. They let us return it and try 2 others before she found one she liked. Too bad you can't get a good feeling for the fins in the pool like the mask.

OnStar

TRACI
11-15-2007, 08:51
I will probably upgrade my fins, I have the Scubapro Twin speed, which I like, but I am not sure if I like a split fin.

Navy OnStar
11-15-2007, 09:00
My philosophy is to wait until I can afford to get exactly what I want. I don't like "I'll just get these to use until I can afford those" mentality. I feel that wastes money. If I just have a little discipline and wait until I have the money and the knowledge to know what would be best then it saves me money in the long run.

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 10:02
My philosophy is to wait until I can afford to get exactly what I want. I don't like "I'll just get these to use until I can afford those" mentality. I feel that wastes money. If I just have a little discipline and wait until I have the money and the knowledge to know what would be best then it saves me money in the long run.

Agree with you! But then I can't wait! I want them now. :) So I'm having a nice fight with myself in my head and wallet... and lurking here reading reading reading and learning learning learning, so as to put off buying buying buying right now.
(sry... once again in my frivolous mood... must be the lack of diving and gears!)

I'd gotten a mask last year before my OW because it's needed for diving here. But now looking at upgrading it because it leaks.
Then the Mares Plana Avanti fins this year before my AOW, because it's needed for diving here. Love it. Won't be upgrading anytime soon except for the straps.
Got a cheap snokel to go with the mask but have upgraded to the Tusa Hyperdry Platina when I found it for cheap last week; except it didn't do what it's supposed to do... grrr
Just received my Swatch Fun Scuba Dive Watch and Suunto Vyper. Have not dived with them yet, but I do not think I will be upgrading them anytime soon.
From what I'd read in this thread, I think I should definitely go for a BP/W or the Transpac that I've been eyeing; so I will have to be patient.
Eyeing the Apeks XTX50 regs and occy, so hopefully will not need to upgrade at all for a long time; but again, I have to be patient.
Suitwise still looking. I don't see many people here listing that they have or are thinking of upgrading theirs, except to drysuit.

scubajane
11-25-2007, 18:01
part of the trouble in waiting until you find the perfect ..... is that they always have an upgrade, newer, better, faster ..... also I need to try them in the water and some lds don't like to take the returns

Navy OnStar
11-25-2007, 18:33
part of the trouble in waiting until you find the perfect ..... is that they always have an upgrade, newer, better, faster ..... also I need to try them in the water and some lds don't like to take the returns

True, there will always be some little upgrade but if you start with the stuff you really want, you don't want to upgrade from the start. The only thing I have thought about upgrading are my fins, only because I haven't tried many others.

scubajane
11-29-2007, 16:30
My first mask really stunk. it was not silicone. I went cheap because I was shocked at the prices and did not really know how addictive diving is. it was black with teardrop lenses. i looked like the black 'spy vs spy' dude. it leaked like a sieve and when it was not leaking it fogged. I thought about just diving with it full. then i snorked water up my nose. new silicone mask pronto

bobcatdiver
11-30-2007, 17:06
I would have skipped the SPG and got a good dive computer. I think the main reason was the shock of the start-up cost of buying the rest of the equipment.

rach
11-30-2007, 19:15
i second the computer....everything else i'm okay with, but i bought my computer used, which means great price, but not the best setup (too klunky and not my ideal info layout)...so that's what i would replace!

Mtrewyn
12-01-2007, 23:05
I am pretty happy with all of my gear, I did have to replace my mask this year, my old one started to leak after sitting for 8 yrs.

I'm shopping for a BC now, leaning toward the Ranger, I just don't know any one and have never dove with a BP/wing set up to know if I'll like it and the Ranger seems very vestal.

ScubaJW
12-02-2007, 23:19
Wish that I did really tried mask and fins out before buy them. The mask was way too big and kept leaking. Fins were never right for me. I never thought of Scuba forums that could have educated me prior to purchasing! Well, now I know! I have replaced my BC, mask, fins, regs, and several other items. I am very happy with my purchases, but soon, I will be upgrading my BC once I hit 250 posts! :D

Mycroft
12-03-2007, 20:39
9 years diving, and the only gear I totally replaced is my computer and my fins. And in both cases, the ones I upgraded to were not made when I started diving.

The computer - I went from a console AI Air computer to a hoseless AI Nitrox capable. Sold the original computer.
Fins - I upgraded from paddle fins to Atomics. I still have the old ones, but I only paid 60$ for the Atomics new.

I have picked up a backup reg of exactly the type I started with on E-bay.

Grin
12-04-2007, 08:28
I have replaced everything.
-Easier breathing regs
-BC to a Backplate and wing
-Aluminum tanks to steel
-better mask
-Kevlar gloves
-better fitting, warmer, eaiser to move around in wetsuits
-my original Tusa fins kept me happy along time, but I finally replaced them with Cressi 2000s. The long fins, Yes I like them for scuba.
-My Oceanic Data+ computer lasted a long time and I only replaced it becasue it finally died after about 7 years. I now have a VEO 250. Wish I bought the larger dispalyed one(forget the model). But the 250 is not getting replaced, it's nice.
I still have the original dive bag I bought. And I use my original reg for my pony tank. I think that's it!

Dectek
12-24-2007, 22:50
Tried 6 and owned 4 BCs before going to bp/w setup and have kicked myself many times for not taking the shortcut.

wheelman
12-25-2007, 08:39
the truth is, you never, ever stop upgrading.

I agree... even if it means downgrading to something more streamline/simple. I haven't had any major regrets with the equip I bought. I started out researching and buying the best I good afford at the time.

teog
12-25-2007, 09:46
I would have purchase a different bc and reg set. My current bc works fine I just would have like to try the zeagle brigade.