PDA

View Full Version : Setting up doubles

PlatypusMan
09-30-2007, 12:59
As a gift to myself at the end of the year, I am probably going to set up some doubles. The question is (setting aside any other considerations), what capacity should I go for in a set of recreational doubles--twin 60s or 80s?

What's your opinion?

comet24
09-30-2007, 13:07
What kind of diving are you going to do with these? Depth, time, SAC.

PlatypusMan
09-30-2007, 15:29

The question is (setting aside any other considerations), what capacity should I go for in a set of recreational doubles--twin 60s or 80s?

Charles R
09-30-2007, 15:35
Twin 60's don't give anything more than a single 120 would so I would say go for the 80's less filling and more diving:smiley32:

DougNR
10-01-2007, 11:45

The question is (setting aside any other considerations), what capacity should I go for in a set of recreational doubles--twin 60s or 80s?

I wonder if doubles is really what you want to do if you're certain the rig is strictly for recreational diving. If you routinely dive with buddys that also have doubles set up and you call it recreational, that's great. Model your new gear after them, and your planning issues will be the same. If you're solo diving, twins is a great idea, but might not come immediately to mind when recreational diving is the topic.

If you'll be rec diving with single tank divers what's the point? You'll be limited by your buddys air supply anyway. Sure you can dive your doubles throughout a typical 'two tank dive' assuming double 80's, but why bother?

What's the advantage or payoff of wanting to rig doubles? Do you see yourself going tech in the future? If so, getting adjusted to them with rec diving makes perfect sense.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, just want to fully understand.

PlatypusMan
10-01-2007, 14:49
What's the advantage or payoff of wanting to rig doubles? Do you see yourself going tech in the future? If so, getting adjusted to them with rec diving makes perfect sense.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, just want to fully understand.

..and you aren't; you hit part of it on the head with the idea of eventually going tech someday. The other aspect is that while you are also correct in that I am limited to the gas my dive buddy has, I will have extra gas if needed should a situation arise.

Frankly, I already knew what my own, personal answer is--I wanted to throw this out there for general discussion and to learn how different people think about the same topic. This board is great for that, and being able to do so where folks can answer without fear of being blasted for the answer they propose.

comet24
10-01-2007, 15:19
HP steel 80's would be my choice. Good amount of air in a small package.

ianr33
10-01-2007, 15:30
Go with the 80's.
More gas and if you get into more involved diving down the road they can always be used for stages/deco bottles.I have a set of Al 80 doubles as well as a set of steel 104's. Use the aluminums whenever possible as they are SO much lighter.

If you get the tanks from Scubatoys be sure to ask them to put the VIP stickers on the neck of the tank (or the bottom)
Randomly placed stickers can end up being concealed by the bands on doubles (I found that one out the hard way! )

fire diver
10-01-2007, 16:02
I would also recommend twinning a set of AL80's. They are pretty nice set of "starter doubles", plus they can be broken down into stage bottles later on. They are also a lot cheaper than starting out with a set of HP steels.

Oh yeah, get the VIP stickers on the bottom. They don't get scratched off, and aren't in conflict with band placement.

FD

CompuDude
10-01-2007, 18:53
I would also recommend twinning a set of AL80's. They are pretty nice set of "starter doubles", plus they can be broken down into stage bottles later on. They are also a lot cheaper than starting out with a set of HP steels.

Oh yeah, get the VIP stickers on the bottom. They don't get scratched off, and aren't in conflict with band placement.

FD

I agree, although Luxfer's are more popular than Catalina's for stage bottles, and it seems like I see a lot more Catalina's out there in general use. Luxfers tend to be top heavy, which is perfect when you're talking stage bottles.

An additional upside to aluminum doubles is you are more likely to be able to swim them up without needing a drysuit for secondary/backup lift, so they're safer to dive wet... if that's an option, since the OPs location is not filled out. :)

PlatypusMan
10-01-2007, 20:27
An additional upside to aluminum doubles is you are more likely to be able to swim them up without needing a drysuit for secondary/backup lift, so they're safer to dive wet... if that's an option, since the OPs location is not filled out. :)

Hunh?

<<<====================?

texdiveguy
10-01-2007, 20:31
Nothing wrong with stating out with a set of Al80's....they alone can open up some new dive experiences for you....persl. I prefer steel cylinders....but Al80's are fine. Have fun!

jbres1
10-01-2007, 21:39

Hunh?

Lets say your wing or Bc fails and will not hold air under water , how would you swim the rig up to the surface ?
Twin 80's are much lighter in the water than lets say twin 98's.
Twin 80's are -3# when full and twin 98's are -16# when full.
Much easier to get to the surface swimming up 3# rather than 16#
Jim Breslin

<<<====================?

CompuDude
10-02-2007, 03:50
Hunh?

Odd... when I looked the first time, it only said "United States". Bizarre. Did you just fill it in, or did my eyes somehow skip to another line?

No matter... point was, if you lived in Nova Scotia, wetsuit weather is far in between compared to the Florida Keys. :)

ScaredSilly
10-06-2007, 11:23
I would not reccomend HP80 doubled unless you are very short as they can be hard to trim out - they will make you head heavy.

My suggestion before buying anything is to find some folks that are diving doubles and talk with them.

woody
10-06-2007, 13:55
I would not reccomend HP80 doubled unless you are very short as they can be hard to trim out - they will make you head heavy.

My suggestion before buying anything is to find some folks that are diving doubles and talk with them.

For the same reason I would stay away from the 63's too.
I can attest that Platy is not a 'short' individual. But I would ‘second” or is it 3rd,4th,… what ever…. The use of the Al80’s to start with.