PDA

View Full Version : Puffer fish fun

Kidder
09-30-2007, 13:15
These guys are play catch with a puffer fish. Has any one ever done that before. The little guys doesn't look to much worse for the wear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXvagjhOHa4

NitroWill
09-30-2007, 13:18
Those guys need to be taught a lesson..

That's just cruel..I hope they get what's coming to them..

Daved
09-30-2007, 13:23
That is just wrong. Touch nothing. Let alone use a puffer as a volleyball.

DevilDiver
09-30-2007, 13:26
:smiley7:A**holes!! Someone should stick that speargun up that guys backside!

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 13:34
That was animal cruelty nothing more or nothing less. That little guy was not doing anything to them. You don't use an animal for a volleyball. That fish was in his own home that the divers intruded in and then they treated it that way. Someone needs to take them out and play volleyball with them. They need to go back to scuba class and learn the rules. I wonder how they would like it if someone came into their homes and disrupted their lives. I am sorry, this just makes me so angry.You don't hurt the innocent and the ones that can't take care of themselves like children, the elderly and animals.

jwdizney
09-30-2007, 15:17
Not Cool! can't believe they filmed it, then uploaded it!

torrey
09-30-2007, 15:37
The little guys doesn't look to much worse for the wear.

When a puffer fish inflates its stomach like that, it's a last-ditch defense mechanism and is very stressful to the fish, and may even shorten its lifespan. While it may be entertaining to some, this kind of behavior is not what scuba is about.

scootermcfly
09-30-2007, 15:38
I went deep sea fishing and actually caught a puffer as well as some of the other people on the boat. The boat hands would take them off of the hooks and then blow air at them and the fish would blow up. But they would throw them back and no real harm done.

Scooter McFly

Charles R
09-30-2007, 15:40
I like the spear gun up the back side idea by devil that might make them think twice next time they see a puffer:smiley21:

Suther2136
09-30-2007, 17:05
That's pathetic, period. Gives diving a bad name to see idiots like that on video.

kingfish
09-30-2007, 17:13
Very cruel!

As said...it is a defence mechanism and who knows what this does to the poor fish.

My instructor puffed a globefish up during my OW cert and i didnt say anything, but i felt like it.
He also caught fish and weedy seadragons and encouraged us to hold them.:smiley7:

Some fish have a protective slime on them which helps prevent parasites and diseases etc..
I believe it is best to look but not touch.

Jas.

sudnit5
09-30-2007, 17:20
Not cool at all!

thesmoothdome
09-30-2007, 17:34
It's sad when people find joy in abusing other beings.

RikRaeder
09-30-2007, 17:38
Very uncool I think. If you want to interact with the sealife, go ride on a great white

torrey
09-30-2007, 21:55
I went deep sea fishing and actually caught a puffer as well as some of the other people on the boat. The boat hands would take them off of the hooks and then blow air at them and the fish would blow up. But they would throw them back and no real harm done.

Scooter McFly

Actually, their defense is to quickly suck water into their stomachs to inflate. When they suck in air, it does even more damage to their bodies.

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 22:02
:smiley7:A**holes!! Someone should stick that speargun up that guys backside!

2nd. that. someone needs to tell my BF to leave the puffers alone too (he's not cruel to them, he makes sure they are back where they belong after he touches them, and has never played any sports with one)

BobbyWombat
09-30-2007, 22:05

Scooter McFly

Actually, their defense is to quickly suck water into their stomachs to inflate. When they suck in air, it does even more damage to their bodies.

Good info to have when talking w/ divers who might find this to be acceptable behavior. Thanks.

Capt Hook
09-30-2007, 22:31
That should be a punishable offense.

Theepdinker
09-30-2007, 22:54
I don't get all touchy, feely about critters.
But these guys are morons.

Theep

greyzen
09-30-2007, 23:29
I personally see no point in intentionally antagonizing some creature to get a rise out of it.

Tormenting animals and "lesser" creatures is a sign of a weak-mind and a person who has some serious self-confidence issues. Feeling better or happy about yourself for picking on something smaller than you just makes you a sad person (in my opinion).