PDA

View Full Version : Pony Gauge

ccarter
09-30-2007, 15:17
Should I get a gauge for my pony? Yay or Nay?

franksrq
09-30-2007, 16:44
HAHAHAHA, nice pun. i dont know anything about ponies in diving, but i know that the animal kind say "nay."

beyond that observation.....i cant really answer your question.

in_cavediver
09-30-2007, 19:23
Get the gauge. You ought to know the contents pressure when diving. (quick glance will tell you where you are at). Numerous items can cause slow leaks and this would let you know. This is even more important if you rig your octo to come from the pony. (empy pony = no alternate to use/donate). Gauges are cheap.

meesier42
09-30-2007, 19:48
just get a mini gauge on mounted to the first stage. That way at least you know what you've got when you enter the water. As far as during the dive, I am aborting the dive anyway and if 19cf of air isn't enough just to surface safely then I screwed up a long time ago.

mm_dm
09-30-2007, 19:54
Get the gauge. You ought to know the contents pressure when diving. (quick glance will tell you where you are at). Numerous items can cause slow leaks and this would let you know. This is even more important if you rig your octo to come from the pony. (empy pony = no alternate to use/donate). Gauges are cheap.

I couldn't agree more. You need a guage on your pony, even if you never use it and it just comes along for the ride. Otherwise you'll always be diving with the assumption you have a redundant air source and somewhere along the line that could be put to a test. That would not be the time to find out you had a slow leak somewhere in the system.

ccarter
09-30-2007, 20:00
Get the gauge. You ought to know the contents pressure when diving. (quick glance will tell you where you are at). Numerous items can cause slow leaks and this would let you know. This is even more important if you rig your octo to come from the pony. (empy pony = no alternate to use/donate). Gauges are cheap.I was leaning toward yes before posting but was thinking about a mini gauge.. now I'll probably get the real deal.

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 21:50
i say yes, but not those little button ones that thread straight to the reg, because they are hard to read. i'd say a guage on a short hose.

texdiveguy
09-30-2007, 22:17
On my rec 19cf pony I have a thimble gauge just screwed in the HP port of the first stage. Its all you need!

ScaredSilly
09-30-2007, 23:25
We used a thimble guage for many years - they got to be a pain to double check the pressure. Now we have a regular brass and glass on our deco/pony bottles. My thimble guage is used on my dry suit inflation bottle.

Get a small brass and glass SPG and mount it on a 6" hose.

NightLife
10-01-2007, 00:48
At my LDS they sell OMS mini gauges, but this gauge is bigger then the rest I have seen. Most mini 1st stage gauges I have seen are the size of a dime, this one is the size of a quarter. I use it and it is plenty big to see.

No Misses
10-01-2007, 08:44
I use the mini gauge to check pressure at the beginning of the day. Since I dive with the pony valve in the off position, there is not reason for me to keep "re-checking" the gauge. If I use the pony during the dive, I will check the gauge before taking the pony back down. This last weekend I screwed up and forgot to get my pony filled. Luckily, it still had 2000 lbs from the previous weekend :-)

texdiveguy
10-01-2007, 08:53
There is really no ness. to check the pressure of a 'pony' bottle during the dive....its proper use is for a contingency gas supply 'only'. You should charge the line prior to entering the water....then just feather it on-off several times during the dive to ensure the line remains charged....the only reason you would check an SPG is at the surface prior to the dive to ensure its full. This is the reason I use a thimble gauge....I can still see it during the dive if ever I felt the want though to look at its pressure reading.
Deco and stage bottle will have a good quality SPG on a 6" HP line .... but the procedure for charging the line prior to the dive and feathering are the same. Of course you will be checking gas pressure during their usage.

in_cavediver
10-01-2007, 17:19
There is really no ness. to check the pressure of a 'pony' bottle during the dive....its proper use is for a contingency gas supply 'only'. You should charge the line prior to entering the water....then just feather it on-off several times during the dive to ensure the line remains charged....the only reason you would check an SPG is at the surface prior to the dive to ensure its full. This is the reason I use a thimble gauge....I can still see it during the dive if ever I felt the want though to look at its pressure reading.
Deco and stage bottle will have a good quality SPG on a 6" HP line .... but the procedure for charging the line prior to the dive and feathering are the same. Of course you will be checking gas pressure during their usage.

Here's one time you may want to know the pressure - When you bail out to it! The idea here is that you want to end the dive safely, which means a safety stop. If you don't have an SPG, you could go OOA at the stop.

Gauges are cheap - Do it right. Not to be confused with DIR which has other opinions on this subject.

texdiveguy
10-01-2007, 18:00
Here's one time you may want to know the pressure - When you bail out to it! The idea here is that you want to end the dive safely, which means a safety stop. If you don't have an SPG, you could go OOA at the stop.

Gauges are cheap - Do it right. Not to be confused with DIR which has other opinions on this subject.

Your point is understandable.... during a recreational NDL dive and the use of a contingency gas supply 'pony' bottle,,,,the only reason for using it is you have gone into an OOG situation....your dive is ended at that point and you try and keep your cool and make as normal an assent as possible staying within a minimum rate of 60fpm or less....remembering that this is a NDL dive a mandetory safety stop is not required (THOUGH HIGHLY RECOMM.).... thought your first objective is the get to the surface at a 'safe' rate breathing at as normal a rate as possible.
With both a standard small SPG or even a thimble SPG gauge you have the ability to check your gas psi at a safety stop....if you are running low, break off the stop and slowly ascend the remaining water column. Getting safely to the surface is fair more important than hitting a safety stop on the dot in an OOG emergency.
My point was more in the context of having not to be as concerned of the 'full' status of the pony bottle during the dive as one keeps a close eye on there bottom gas psi during the dive.....by charging the line and ocasionally feathering the pony valve, that contingency gas will be there when you need it.

charlesml3
10-01-2007, 18:07
not those little button ones that thread straight to the reg, because they are hard to read.

Well yea, they are a little hard to read but how often do you really need to read it? I only read mine after it's full and when I'm setting up for the dive. If I ever need to use it, I'll just pull it out of the mount and read the guage from there. Until then, that little guage is out of the way.

I'm a bit different in that I turn my pony on before I jump in and it stays on for the day. After rinsing for the day I'll turn it off but that's about it.

-Charles

Flatliner
10-01-2007, 18:22
My vote is for the mini-guage for the reasons stated above. To me it seems to be a cost-benefit thing.

in_cavediver
10-02-2007, 05:13

Your point is understandable.... during a recreational NDL dive and the use of a contingency gas supply 'pony' bottle,,,,the only reason for using it is you have gone into an OOG situation....your dive is ended at that point and you try and keep your cool and make as normal an assent as possible staying within a minimum rate of 60fpm or less....remembering that this is a NDL dive a mandetory safety stop is not required (THOUGH HIGHLY RECOMM.).... thought your first objective is the get to the surface at a 'safe' rate breathing at as normal a rate as possible.
With both a standard small SPG or even a thimble SPG gauge you have the ability to check your gas psi at a safety stop....if you are running low, break off the stop and slowly ascend the remaining water column. Getting safely to the surface is fair more important than hitting a safety stop on the dot in an OOG emergency.
My point was more in the context of having not to be as concerned of the 'full' status of the pony bottle during the dive as one keeps a close eye on there bottom gas psi during the dive.....by charging the line and ocasionally feathering the pony valve, that contingency gas will be there when you need it.

I disagree slightly with you. The idea of a pony is not to get you to the surface, its to allow you to end the dive on your terms, which includes a safety stop. You are already carrying the extra equipment to do this, why would you compromise it abilities? Also, if its the surface you want so quickly, why even have the pony since a CESA or air share ascent would get you there as well? I know the answer is control and having gas is better than not. It just seems odd not to make the most of a piece of equipment for lack of a guage.

texdiveguy
10-02-2007, 09:37

Your point is understandable.... during a recreational NDL dive and the use of a contingency gas supply 'pony' bottle,,,,the only reason for using it is you have gone into an OOG situation....your dive is ended at that point and you try and keep your cool and make as normal an ascent as possible staying within a minimum rate of 60fpm or less....remembering that this is a NDL dive a mandetory safety stop is not required (THOUGH HIGHLY RECOMM.).... thought your first objective is the get to the surface at a 'safe' rate breathing at as normal a rate as possible.

I disagree slightly with you. The idea of a pony is not to get you to the surface, its to allow you to end the dive on your terms, which includes a safety stop. You are already carrying the extra equipment to do this, why would you compromise it abilities? Also, if its the surface you want so quickly, why even have the pony since a CESA or air share ascent would get you there as well? I know the answer is control and having gas is better than not. It just seems odd not to make the most of a piece of equipment for lack of a guage.

NO ....I agree with you... I may of not made my writing clear----I lack those writting and spelling skills--lol.
In my reply said to ascend at a safe speed and breathing normally---that is the purpose of a pony bottle on a rec NDL dive. I never said to use a pony bottle without a gauge....nor to avoid a safety stop if possible on an OOG emerencgy. I think as a diver on an OOG situation our first concern is always to reach the surface safely.....a pony will do a much better job of that than a CESA....it is my point that you can make an ascent without a 'stop' if ness abiding you follow safe ascent protocols when on a pony bottle during an OOG situation, the 'stop' is an added bonus. :-)

scubamarc
10-02-2007, 19:38
I use a mini gauge, but i used to use a button gauge which was hard to read and could not be used during the dive when it is most needed.

Do u want to buy my button gauge for $20?

bubble-head
10-02-2007, 21:26
I would go with a gauge on short hose for the reasons already stated.

WaScubaDude
10-02-2007, 22:30
I use a mini gauge, but i used to use a button gauge which was hard to read and could not be used during the dive when it is most needed.

Do u want to buy my button gauge for $20?

I will buy it!
let me know if i need to send you $20 or buy you something on ST

subsur
10-03-2007, 11:40
yes, most definitely. if you ever need to use one - you are in a pretty crappy situation and you want to know in advance that you have air in your pony. most likely you are not going to use pony so if air is slowly escaping from your pony (it should not but you never know) then you would see it in your spg before getting in the water. i'd get one of thhose mini spg, they don't cost that much and it's worth it.

Hex92
10-03-2007, 12:34
When I dove with a back mounted pony I used a button gauge. That way I could easily check how much air I had before the dive. Like others have said, if I ever had to use it I would have been heading for the surface anyway (30 cuft tank) so I wouldn't have needed to monitor my consumption.

When I got into tech diving I used it for a few dives, but it drove me nuts not being able to easily see how much deco gas I had left. So I bought a regular spg.

SO if you back mount go with the button. If you sling your pony, go ahead and get a real spg on a 6" hose.