PDA

View Full Version : Reg noise at depth

Venio
09-30-2007, 16:41
I have Mares XTR regulator which I've used since I started diving. All my dives up to this weekend were ether in pools or at CSSP which naturally limits the depth one can reach. Yesterday I went to Possum Kingdom with my tech class and there was something strange that happened with my reg once I passed 50 feet depth. A strange noise, like there is a valve that partially closes or sticks, start coming from the second stage. There was no other difference in the way the reg worked but the noise, however, I am not sure if that is something I need to be worried about?!

Just to add some more info about the reg. It was brand new when bought but was siting for couple of years. I took it ST this spring for annual and since then it has 18 dives and quite few hours in a pool.

Kidder
09-30-2007, 17:39
I can't imagine that that noise is a good thing. Imagine that something is indeed sticking either way, I would have it checkeed out just to be sure. better to be safe than sorry.

Venio
10-01-2007, 16:35
Well, after the overwhelming response I went to Scuba Toys today where once again I got the best service one can ever get from scuba retail store. My reg was completely checked by one of the technicians (I feel guilty for not asking about his name). He explain to me that everything is fine with my second stage and most probably the noise is due to the fact that my first stage is none balanced one. He also changed some part of of my second stage and made sure everything else is working properly. All that was done in 10 minutes after I've entered the store and above all absolutely free of charge. Of coarse I didn't go all the way to ST and left without buying something, so I ended up with new finger spool (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FingerSpool) and SMB (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LargeSafety).

Many thanks to Correy (please don't be made if I've misspelled your name) and Joey!

TxScubaBear
10-03-2007, 18:46
Excellent! Good to hear about the service, I've got an Aqualung Legends XL that was doing that a bit, thought I was going to have it serviced but just needed fine tuning (has a knob and vane to adjust) once I hit depth. And it is HARD to leave ST and NOT give Larry and Joe some of your dough!

awap
10-03-2007, 20:45
He explain to me that everything is fine with my second stage and most probably the noise is due to the fact that my first stage is none balanced one. !

I'm not sure that makes any sense so I guess I'd like to be educated by the experts!!!! I alway thought such noise tended to be associated with balanced piston 1sts.

coralcrazed
10-04-2007, 18:10
I've heard of some first stages making a whistleing sound... what kind of noise is it exactly?

danielh03
10-08-2007, 13:37
I used a reg that would almost hum or chatter until i reached 15+ft. Took it to get serviced and they said it was normal and it was nothing to worry about.

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 14:44
Just got my reg back from service, and it makes a slight humming on the inhale, and nothing on the exhale. Works just fine for me, and I've been told it's normal.

Danny

No Misses
10-08-2007, 17:27
My Mares Abyss has done that from time to time. I think it was just a little gummed up. It only happens a few times per year and when it happens it goes away within a few minutes.