PDA

View Full Version : Mermet Springs

dludwig
09-30-2007, 18:55
Just got home from a weekend of diving at Mermet. Glen runs a first class operation. :smiley20: And finally saw an actual Spoonbill, proving they aren't just an urban legend :smiley36:

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 19:03
That is cool.

tc_rain
09-30-2007, 20:53
What is the temp and vis like? Heading down there for dog days next weekend.

Kidder
09-30-2007, 20:56
Just got home from a weekend of diving at Mermet. Glen runs a first class operation. :smiley20: And finally saw an actual Spoonbill, proving they aren't just an urban legend :smiley36:

Hey dludwig did you see skydvr down there? He was getting his dry suit qualification.

scuba cat
09-30-2007, 21:08
Yeah, Mermet Springs is a great place to dive. It's like a huge underwater playground. Those spoonbills are freaky lookin, aren't they? Especially when they have their mouth open and are swimming just a few feet past you. Watch out for those blue gills though! My friend got bit on the lip by one just recently.

jwdizney
09-30-2007, 21:10
where exactly is mermet springs? i'm assuming midwest somewhere.. maybe within our range!.. dive operators?.....curious!!

scuba cat
09-30-2007, 21:12
Mermet Springs is in Southern Illinois. Check out their website : www.mermetsprings.com (http://www.mermetsprings.com)

Kidder
09-30-2007, 21:13
where exactly is mermet springs? i'm assuming midwest somewhere.. maybe within our range!.. dive operators?.....curious!!

Its in southern IL. on the Kentucky border. It is best known for its 727 from the US marsals movie. But it has all kinds of crazy stuff. including a school bus and ambulance.

jwdizney
09-30-2007, 21:18

Its in southern IL. on the Kentucky border. It is best known for its 727 from the US marsals movie. But it has all kinds of crazy stuff. including a school bus and ambulance.

thanks Kidder... I just found another thread re an accident there last weekend.... might be a little far for us Okies to make a weekend trip!

SteveC
09-30-2007, 21:22
The temp and vis can vary considerably. Right now the surface temp is in the upper 70’s. The bottom temp is always 42 year round. Vis close to the surface is about 20’ and over 40’ in the deeper areas.

Kidder
09-30-2007, 21:26
The temp and vis can vary considerably. Right now the surface temp is in the upper 70s. The bottom temp is always 42 year round. Vis close to the surface is about 20 and over 40 in the deeper areas.

The vis also varies on wiether or not the place is over run with open water certifications going on.

mdwestgrl
09-30-2007, 22:32
I really like that place. I just went for the first time last weekend. Neat stuff to see underwater that you just typically would not find. It is cool to go through the 727.

skdvr
09-30-2007, 22:45

Darn, I wish I knew you were going to be down there I would have loved to say hello.

It is a nice place. Glen is nice guy that does run a 1st class place.

Phil

snagel
10-01-2007, 18:19
Did Somebody say Spoonbill......Took this picture at Mermet a couple weeks ago. They are awesome when the swim by.

S. Nagel

tc_rain
10-01-2007, 18:52
I didn't think about the students messing up the vis. I bet with the dog days vis will drop to a few feet or so

skdvr
10-02-2007, 10:58
Did Somebody say Spoonbill......Took this picture at Mermet a couple weeks ago. They are awesome when the swim by.

S. Nagel

WOW that is a great pic. I have only gotten to see them a few times but they are awesome to look at. My wife was freaked out the first time she saw with swimming with its mouth open like that.

Phil

dludwig
10-02-2007, 16:15

Darn, I wish I knew you were going to be down there I would have loved to say hello.

It is a nice place. Glen is nice guy that does run a 1st class place.

Phil

Sorry we weren't able to meet but I will definately be back down there in the future. Maybe not any more this year but I really liked the place. :smiley20:

skdvr
10-02-2007, 17:38
Just post it on here if you have a chance when you go down. I like to get diving any time that I can. I am sure we will meet up sometime...

Phil

beperkins
10-17-2008, 10:32
I hear that sometimes about February you can see the 85ft platform from the surface- now that would be awesome!!!