PDA

View Full Version : What to put in your Emergency Kit??

WaScubaDude
09-30-2007, 21:54
I just purchased a thigh pocket, safety sausage, strobe beacon, die marker from ST to start our kit. We have a hurricane whistle and I am shopping for the best signal mirror. I was thinking of adding a small spool and clip as well as a little o-ring kit. I will use this for local WA diving and hope to take it to the tropics as well. Any other ideas on what to bring or what might work in carry-on luggage?

Kidder
09-30-2007, 22:01
I just purchased a thigh pocket, safety sausage, strobe beacon, die marker from ST to start our kit. We have a hurricane whistle and I am shopping for the best signal mirror. I was thinking of adding a small spool and clip as well as a little o-ring kit. I will use this for local WA diving and hope to take it to the tropics as well. Any other ideas on what to bring or what might work in carry-on luggage?

I think you have it pretty well covered. I would think about little things like a little bottle of sun screen, Asprin, and decongestants.

BuzzGA
09-30-2007, 23:46
I'd throw in some sort of multi-tool...like the one from ST or a Leatherman

Recovery Guy
10-01-2007, 06:51
You can use old CDs that you dont need anymore for your signal mirror, besides that you might want to add some bug spray and a CC :smiley20:

BTW I would not put a Multi tool or leatherman in your carry on :smiley21:

my 2 psi

Recovery Guy

Vercingetorix
10-01-2007, 08:17
Are you asking what things that you would diving versus what you'd have with you on shore? The things you mentioned are items that you'd have with you on your person so that you can be recovered if you've drfited from the dive boat. The items others have mentioned (aspirin, sunscreen, multi-tool, etc) are items you'd have with you on shore and available between dives.

If you're looking for the latter, ScubaToys sells a Save-A-Dive kit with many goodies. Start there.

ccarter
10-01-2007, 08:39
Are you asking what things that you would diving versus what you'd have with you on shore? The things you mentioned are items that you'd have with you on your person so that you can be recovered if you've drfited from the dive boat. The items others have mentioned (aspirin, sunscreen, multi-tool, etc) are items you'd have with you on shore and available between dives.

If you're looking for the latter, ScubaToys sells a Save-A-Dive kit with many goodies. Start there.
Yeah I don't think I'd be carrying a multi-tool during the actual dives.. I'm also confused if this is about during dive or between dives..

WaScubaDude
10-01-2007, 10:54
You can use old CDs that you dont need anymore for your signal mirror, besides that you might want to add some bug spray and a CC :smiley20:

my 2 psi

Recovery Guy

What is CC?

WaScubaDude
10-01-2007, 10:58

Yeah I don't think I'd be carrying a multi-tool during the actual dives.. I'm also confused if this is about during dive or between dives..

Sorry for any confusion. My kit is "on person, during dive" but I am open to hear other items to keep in the bag on the boat. Also, we only Carry-On luggage, so the 12" titanium blade will not work. :)

ccarter
10-01-2007, 10:59

Sorry for any confusion. My kit is "on person, during dive" but I am open to hear other items to keep in the bag on the boat. Also, we only Carry-On luggage, so the 12" titanium blade will not work. :)
So you don't have any shears or anything?!

WaScubaDude
10-01-2007, 11:03

Only what we can carry-on. :(

WaScubaDude
10-01-2007, 11:03

I always bring my sharp wit.

ccarter
10-01-2007, 11:08

I always bring my sharp wit.
:smiley36:

Well it sounds like you've pretty much thought of everything else.. I did this last year and got a thigh pocket to put safety sausage, mirror, whistle (very loud and hurts the ears), spool w/double ended clip, and shears plus a slate. Although I hated the thigh pocket design.. velcro around the leg + attaches to the BC. It always ended up slipping and whatnot..

I ended up getting some x-shorts last week.. haven't used them yet.. and getting some wet notes instead of a slate. I usually keep a spare mask in my left BC pocket and a fold up snorkel in my right BC pocket. I generally have a compass (bungee mount) on my left arm.. but if I'm not really using it I would stick it in the thigh pocket.

Recovery Guy
10-01-2007, 16:17

my 2 psi

Recovery Guy

What is CC?

CC...... aka Credit Card :smiley2:

Of course a CC would be of no use while diving but can come in real handy top-side if you forget something or you didnt know you needed something till you got there.

RG

RonFrank
10-01-2007, 16:23

I don't know what gear you dive with, but I would find it IMPOSSIBLE to carry on all my dive gear, and have room for anything else... non important stuff like Shorts for example! :smiley17:

Have you actually traveled like this with Scuba Gear?

RonFrank
10-01-2007, 16:28
How does an oring kit benefit you UW?

For diving, you want a finger spool, or reel if you drift dive. An air horn like the Dive Alert is MUCH louder than any whistle. If you are downwind from a boat the whistles are a waste of breath.

For topside I carry a bunch of tools, orings, straps, and parts. Ironically I've loaned this stuff out, and have never used it myself!

caroln
10-01-2007, 16:46
I also carry on all my dive gear. It's a little challenging, but better then getting to my vacation spot and finding something stolen, or that my bag didn't make it. In your kit to carry with you on a dive, I'd bring some kind of head covering unless you wear a beenie/hood on your dives. This could protect you from losing too much heat through your head, or also protect you from getting too much sun on your head if you're drifting for a while.

Splitlip
10-01-2007, 17:22
Brightly colored inflatable raft, white trash bags and a booney hat.
http://www.halcyon.net/images/inflatables/dlr_cabo_10.jpghttp://www.halcyon.net/images/diverliferaft.jpghttp://content.onestepahead.com/assets/images/product/detail/10496.jpghttp://www.essentialsurf.com/thumbs/th_432105.jpg (http://www.essentialsurf.com/ikorb.php?func=catalog&category_id=96&product_id=388)

WV Diver
10-01-2007, 18:00
How about a snorkel?

paintsnow
10-01-2007, 21:07
what are the trash bags for

Splitlip
10-01-2007, 22:22
From Spearboard. One of the Nikki Cuomo threads.
The poster and his dad were adrift for 19 hrs.
Diver awareness is one positive which will come from this tragic loss.
I like the idea of a Walmart inflatable pool float. My post above shows the Halcyon. The walmart raft can be had for maybe $10.00?

Re: Nikki's Gun found this morning
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless http://www.spearboard.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?p=580091#post580091)
It was interesting that you guys were rescued because he had a trash bag that he inflated which a passing boat noticed and returned to investigate. (that's the story to the best of my recollection, please correct me if I have it wrong) Simple yet effective. Something like that would have been a tremendous advantage yesterday in spotting someone in the water from the air.

YES. I'm trying to get Les Straud (http://www.survivorman.ca/) to mention this simple technique on his show. Every diver who reads this message should pay attention to this fact:

My dad had shoved a couple of white Hefty trash bags in the pockets of our BCs months before we got lost. That action saved our lives.

The white trash bags got us spotted by a fishing boat before the Coast Guard search even began. The fact that my dad took IMMEDIATE action when he saw the tip about using a white trash bag to signal is what saved us. He read a magazine article or saw a survival documentary or something. It was his immediate action that saved us. He didn't think, "hmm that's a good idea, I should do that...", instead he went straight to the garage right then and did it. Everybody reading this, please go, RIGHT NOW, and stick a couple of white trash bags in the pockets of your BCs. These incidents are more common than we like to think.

ccarter
10-02-2007, 08:10

I don't know what gear you dive with, but I would find it IMPOSSIBLE to carry on all my dive gear, and have room for anything else... non important stuff like Shorts for example! :smiley17:

Have you actually traveled like this with Scuba Gear?
Yeah I have no idea how he does that either.. I carry on my regs, camera, computer, housing.. but I have to check the BC, suits, lights, pony bottle, fins, and everything else. My checked bag is usually right at the 50 pound limit too.. no idea how you get all your gear in a ~30 pound bag..

Do you wear a bunch of clothes on the plane? :smiley2:

ccarter
10-02-2007, 08:11
How does an oring kit benefit you UW?

For diving, you want a finger spool, or reel if you drift dive. An air horn like the Dive Alert is MUCH louder than any whistle. If you are downwind from a boat the whistles are a waste of breath.

For topside I carry a bunch of tools, orings, straps, and parts. Ironically I've loaned this stuff out, and have never used it myself!
I have a whistle because I thought "what if I don't have any air in my tank" I've been meaning to pick up a dive alert for a while but I always put it off..

WaScubaDude
10-02-2007, 09:43
I travel with .5 mm jump suit, reg,octo,guages, mask. I am looking for very compact BC set up. We use resort fins and BC. Because my wife is cute, we tip well and I help load the boat we usually get the pick of the crappy gear, so that helps. Also carry very little clothing. If we traveled to colder climes there is no way we could carry it all on. I also have an air horn on my inflator hose.

caroln
10-02-2007, 10:00
The white trash bags are a great idea. That does sound like a 'Survivorman' strategy. Actually that would be a really interesting show, if he did one about surviving after being left at sea say by a dive boat.

WaScubaDude
10-31-2007, 17:59
I included a die marker in my kit. Anyone have experience with them? How long do they last? Do you see the plane or chopper and let it go?

WaScubaDude
11-04-2007, 22:58
Just got the "star" signal mirror to ad to the kit.

Navy OnStar
11-05-2007, 21:45
I included a die marker in my kit. Anyone have experience with them? How long do they last? Do you see the plane or chopper and let it go?

As a Navy Helo Pilot trained for Search and rescue operations, I would rate the dye Marker as an OK piece of equipment. In strong current the dye gets washed away and doesn't last very long. If you let it go at the onset of your ordeal it will most likely wash away before the Aircraft is launched (the only real way to see a dye marker)

In calmer waters if you tea bag (dunk a few times and then put away in a ziplock bag) the marker until you get a nice sized bright pool and then wait until it dissappears and repeat that is the best chance for location using a dye marker.

The mirror would be my first choice as it can be seen for a very long distance and is eye catching for the pilot.

However, I do have a Dye marker in my kit as it is a passive signal. You don't have to see the Rescue aircraft to use it as you do with the mirror.

The absolute best way to be seen is actually at night. All (99.9%)search and rescue helicopters are on Night Vision Goggles at night. A bright strobe will get you seen almost instantly. I have personally been able to see a strobe on NVG's over 30 miles away. Yes, 30 miles.

On that note, what is your opinion on the best/most reliable/longest lasting/smallest strobe?

OnStar

WaScubaDude
01-24-2008, 18:54
I ordered this one from ST...
Flashing Strobe with Velcro Strap, Accessories: Signaling, Trident, Flashing Strobe with Velcro Strap (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Strobewithvelcro)

The one they sent me as a substitute is not even on the web site any longer.

A great product idea might be a very small strope powered by a series of very small watch batteries.