PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving trip

Scubakraut
10-01-2007, 13:05
I've been to Belize, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. I'm debating to go to Roatan over Thanksgiving. Seems like flights are pretty expensive over Thanksgiving. I'd also like to go to Bonaire, just not sure how to get there under a $1000 :)
Any suggestions what Airlines go to Bonaire or maybe Aruba and then take a jumper to Bonaire.
What other "cheaper" Caribbean destinations are out there worth diving? Thanks.

namabiru
10-01-2007, 21:17
Roatan under $1,000, eh? Good luck there. I was checking in the middle of the summer and couldn't get out for under $800.

Cheaper Caribbean destinations... well, I just got back from the Bahamas. The accommodation and food ain't cheap, but I did a liveaboard with Blackbeard's, and that was cheap enough. If you've got a major hub nearby you could do it fairly reasonably. Plus Blackbeard's usual price of $899 is lowered to $799 for winter--saw that in an ad somewhere. I think Scuba magazine.

Scubakraut
10-02-2007, 08:39
Thanks. Bahamas might be a good idea, will check that. Flights I mean to Honduras from TX currently run around 680.

dallasdivergirl
10-02-2007, 09:15
Thanks. Bahamas might be a good idea, will check that. Flights I mean to Honduras from TX currently run around 680.

That's about average on the flight prices. I have gotten a little cheaper. Tuesday morning is the time to check for the best deals and usually from DFW it's going to be delta. Take the 7am flight not the 8am if you want your luggage to arrive with you.

Good luck with your under $1000. I know there are some really cheap places in West Bay that are just room rentals and you can hook up with one of the dive shops on that end of the island.

Scubakraut
10-02-2007, 14:16
Maybe someone is interested in going? Maybe we can get a small group together for that Thanksgiving week. hey you only need 3 days vacation.... :-)

CaribbeanDiver
10-02-2007, 15:03
Coz is a nice dive spot and is relatively inexpensive. I believe you could do a 7 day dive vacation in Cozumel for a $1000. You might have to shop around some but I think it can be done.
Another great dive spot that is out of the way but great diving and relatively inexpensive is Costa Maya. BUT, Hurricane Felix or whatever just tore it to shreads so you may have a hard time finding a dive shop that is open. I highly recommend Marco Martin with Dreamtime Diving but his cabins and resort was destroyed and he said he "may" be operational by end Nov.

Scubakraut
10-02-2007, 15:53
Coz is a nice dive spot and is relatively inexpensive. I believe you could do a 7 day dive vacation in Cozumel for a $1000. You might have to shop around some but I think it can be done.
Another great dive spot that is out of the way but great diving and relatively inexpensive is Costa Maya. BUT, Hurricane Felix or whatever just tore it to shreads so you may have a hard time finding a dive shop that is open. I highly recommend Marco Martin with Dreamtime Diving but his cabins and resort was destroyed and he said he "may" be operational by end Nov.

Strange flights to Cozumel are more expensive than to RTB?

Kokomo
10-03-2007, 17:08
When we went to Bonaire there was definitely no cheap way to get there! Although I will say there has been a thanksgiving trip to Bonaire advertised in the dive magazines. You would be at the Golden Reef Inn which has no frills whatsoever but the price was decent and I think it included airfare. Check last months issues of Sport Diver and Scuba Diving.

Kokomo
10-03-2007, 17:11
Look at the web site www.goldenreefinn.com

Scubakraut
10-03-2007, 22:30
When we went to Bonaire there was definitely no cheap way to get there! Although I will say there has been a thanksgiving trip to Bonaire advertised in the dive magazines. You would be at the Golden Reef Inn which has no frills whatsoever but the price was decent and I think it included airfare. Check last months issues of Sport Diver and Scuba Diving.

I just looked at their website and don't really see anything for Thanksgiving packages. Do you have a link?

Also for Roatan Cocoview resort, how can I book it, I contacted them through email 2 days ago, but still no reply.
Thanks.

dallasdivergirl
10-03-2007, 22:33

I just looked at their website and don't really see anything for Thanksgiving packages. Do you have a link?

Also for Roatan Cocoview resort, how can I book it, I contacted them through email 2 days ago, but still no reply.
Thanks.

Welcome to Island Time! Things are pretty laid back on Roatan.

Vercingetorix
10-04-2007, 07:58
Maybe someone is interested in going? Maybe we can get a small group together for that Thanksgiving week. hey you only need 3 days vacation.... :-)Three days? Help me out here.

You don't dive the first day, unless you get in before noon and dive in the afternoon. You don't dive the last day, because you're departing. You don't dive the day before, unless you dive once in the morning and your next day's flight is in the afternoon. So, for three days you might get two half-day dives.

Bottom line: you need more than three days

caroln
10-04-2007, 10:01
Strange flights to Cozumel are more expensive than to RTB?

It's usually much cheaper to fly into Cancun and then take the bus to Playa, and ferry over to Cozumel.

Scubakraut
10-04-2007, 13:48
Ok, I am going to Roatan over the week of Thanksgiving from the 17-24. I'll be staying at the Lunabeach resort including the dive package for $949. I never got an email response from Cocoview. However due to being a single traveler I have to pay an additional $350 for single occupancy. If anyone is interested in going over Thanksgiving and not mind sharing a room please let me know. Thanks. http://lunabeachresort.com/

csky
10-04-2007, 21:40
Have a good trip!

Just a thought -- if you have some frequent flier miles (or know someone who does), you can get pretty good deals on trips to the Caribbean. It doesn't cost any more extra miles to go to Bonaire or Dominica vs. say, Jamaica. So if you are trying to get someplace pricey and know someone who might donate miles, you might want to check it out that option. For example, you can get to Bonaire on American for 25,000 miles in low season, the same number of miles as a intra-US free ticket.

dvrliz
10-06-2007, 18:14

Thanks.

Here is a link to the Thanksgiving Special. It is on the "Specials Page"

http://www.goldenreefinn.com/specials.html

divnlifr
10-06-2007, 19:27
Where are you flying from? We're going there over Thanksgiving and flying American. We've been 5 times and love it, but we use frequent flyer miles some to save on airfare if we can. I know Continental goes there and I think Air Jamaica might as well. Our flights have never been $1000 when we've paid for them, so I hate to hear that. We've also done the Aruba flight and hopped on Bonaire Exel for about $170 US, but they definitely are strict about luggage weight and will charge if you go over. A good friend went to Dominca and there is an article on it in Rodale's this month...it looks and sounds pretty nice. We loved Roatan and Utila. Also, Rodale's has a few last minute deals if you want to take a look. Sometimes it's fun to try someplace that's not mainstream. Good Luck

Scubakraut
10-08-2007, 09:34
Flying from Austin and have to go through the hub of Dallas or Houston.