PDA

View Full Version : Do Braces...

scuba-taylor
10-01-2007, 19:03
Do braces have any effect on the way your mouth would hold a regulator??? I just got mine:smiley13::smiley28::smiley21::smiley19: so I wanted to know!

FishFood
10-01-2007, 19:56
No..

However, the braces will most likely make your gums sore for a while. So, holding the reg in place may be a bit painfull. Goodluck. I feel for ya...

Stingray Brett
10-01-2007, 20:01
I Didnt notice anything with my braces and my reg.

scuba-taylor
10-01-2007, 20:18
No..

However, the braces will most likely make your gums sore for a while. So, holding the reg in place may be a bit painfull. Goodluck. I feel for ya...

Thanks, I already have braces I just got them thursday (Set. 27) so I can almost chew today:smiley32:

Stingray Brett
10-01-2007, 20:20
I really dont like braces but after a year you forget about them!
I have had them for 2 years and now when people say whats that in your mouth? I say what? and then I remember I have Braces!!!!

I should get mine off soon though!!!!!

Steve Scuba
10-01-2007, 21:26
Good question. My wife has braces, and I've been trying to get her into diving. Glad you thought of the question, and thanks for the info!

cyclone
10-01-2007, 22:56
Braces somewhat holds and reposition your teeth on the way they're suppose to. The problem is, if it happens that your regulator pushes it the opposite way when you have it on then theres the problem. Toothache or probably tooth problem will occur, much worse if it unhooks your braces to your teeth. You don't want to be under water with mouthfull of loose braces.:smiley36:

Stingray Brett
10-02-2007, 05:27
Braces somewhat holds and reposition your teeth on the way they're suppose to. The problem is, if it happens that your regulator pushes it the opposite way when you have it on then theres the problem. Toothache or probably tooth problem will occur, much worse if it unhooks your braces to your teeth. You don't want to be under water with mouthfull of loose braces.:smiley36:

That would be trouble!:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

ScubaJenn81
10-02-2007, 05:42
I would just take some asprin (or something like that) after you get your braces adjusted if you are going to be diving. Otherwise, you may be feeling it a little too much.

Stingray Brett
10-02-2007, 05:47
I have never actually taken aspirin for my teeth Ive always forgot and just toughed it out which really hurt!!!:smiley5::smiley5::ignore::003:

datamunk
10-02-2007, 10:21
braces would only interfer when you have them adjusted, just because of the pain ya get. when i was younger i had them for 8 years! hah

anyway, there are mouthpieces out there, comfobites, that just sit in your mouth on their own, they have a lil bridge that goes alongt he top of your mouth, letting it rest in there with close to no effort.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Large/UDRCBMP.JPG

theres a pic of the clear, i get it in black cuz its softer but, that would help a lot. they aer small so that wont be an issue of your mouths being not as large as an adult

BuzzF117
10-02-2007, 15:11
I would be careful if your using rubberbands on your braces while diving as you can snap them when you put your reg in your mouth or take it out. I used to snap mine in the morning at school yawing it was good for a laugh. I would also reccomend you leave your retainer on the shore also as you wouldn't want to run the risk of loosing it.

nuf said
Buzz
former wearer of braces and father of braces survivor

Stingray Brett
10-02-2007, 15:20
I dont even wear my rubber bands when im diving!!

sarki
10-02-2007, 16:23
I am 38 year old adult and have braces for almost a year. The first two months were miserable from the pain. I am getting used to it and even had them tightend about a week before my last dive. No problems on the first day of diving but on the second day of diving, I felt my reg was "leaky". Not sure if it had something do with the reg, or something to do with the braces and the way I was holding it my mouth. But it seems as though, or sounded bubbly as though I was breathing water. I wasn't...but, something did not seem right, and it is sort of difficult to describe. Has anyone experienced this?

fireblossom4
10-02-2007, 20:48
ya, i was worried about that 2 when I started but it doesn't really make a difference, but I have never dove with rubber bands and dont plan 2

scuba-taylor
10-02-2007, 21:10
Thanks everyone for your info and i had no idea that so many divers would have braces!!!!

bubble-head
10-03-2007, 10:30
When I was a teen and had braces, I purchased a soft silicone mouth piece for my reg. It was very comfortable. If your reg gives you any problems, you may want to try finding a softer compound. By the way, braces are worth it in the long run.

ladyfish
10-03-2007, 12:01
If you find regular mouthpieces uncomfortable with your braces, consider using a Seacure mouthpiece. It is moldable like a mouth guard you would use for football. It can be re-molded, so if your teeth change over time with the braces, you can remold your mouthpiece.

I have TMJ issues (jaw likes to pop and lock). The seacure is the only way my jaw is happy after diving. If I use a regulator with a normal mouthpiece, my jaw pops and lock up after the dive for about an hour before it becomes comfortable again.

NOTE: don't have your braces tightened the day or two before diving--it hurts to hold the mouthpiece in your mouth!!!

scuba-taylor
10-03-2007, 17:47
When I was a teen and had braces, I purchased a soft silicone mouth piece for my reg. It was very comfortable. If your reg gives you any problems, you may want to try finding a softer compound. By the way, braces are worth it in the long run.

Oh I know they are!!! My parents say that too!!:smiley36:

mark44883
10-23-2007, 13:19
I Didn't notice anything with my braces and my reg.just couldn't chew corn on the cob well

Scubling
11-06-2007, 15:17
Well they might. What I would do is get one of those reg mouthpeices where you can mold them to your mouth. That way they wont be a problem.

scuba-taylor
11-19-2007, 20:04
Thanks every1

Xspect
11-19-2007, 20:35
when I had a cheapo reg I had some jaw fatigue. But I went to a scubapro s555 the problems went totally away. I dont have the problem with my wifes delta iv with the seacure mouthpiece.

I ate nemo
12-21-2007, 13:33
well no the braces wont mess up the way a mouth peice fits in your mouth. But however it will get sore after a while.

MSilvia
12-21-2007, 13:43
I haven't tried it for braces because I don't think it was available when I had them, but if you find the reg uncomfortable a Seacure mouthpiece is a good bet.

fireblossom4
01-17-2008, 21:26
I Didn't notice anything with my braces and my reg.just couldn't chew corn on the cob well
lol ya

Chocoholic
01-20-2008, 15:03
You may want to put a bunch of the wax around your brackets on your front, top teeth - that is where it will rub especially around the canines.

divergirl
03-14-2008, 13:57
I can't say I ever had any trouble when I had my braces.

terrillja
03-14-2008, 14:05
Or just dive a ffm. Problem solved!

In reality though, a FFM brings up all sorts of other issues to consider. I'd agree with others and try a seacure if you are having issues with a standard reg mouthpiece.

Little Wolf
03-14-2008, 18:33
I have never had braces but I may be getting some(hope not)but some of my teeth grew in a little off so I hope I don't have to get any.I never thought about that.

chris in the socal
03-14-2008, 18:43
If you get a good mouth piece than you will have no problems

Hollywood703
03-15-2008, 11:54
No..

Thanks, I already have braces I just got them thursday (Set. 27) so I can almost chew today:smiley32:

You are not going to want to dive with them for atleast a month, so your mouth can become adjusted with the new space restrictions in your mouth, give your mouth enough time to not notice the braces anymore and after that you should be fine. I have heard of some Mouth pieces that are a bit thinner that might help you not feel crowded in your mouth,

malley1717
03-23-2008, 20:15
yea braces definitely suck. i feel like i have had mine forever. but dont wory, you get used to them. I didnt even think about how my braces effect my diving until i saw this thread. Good Luck!

scuba-taylor
03-24-2008, 06:53
No..

You are not going to want to dive with them for atleast a month, so your mouth can become adjusted with the new space restrictions in your mouth, give your mouth enough time to not notice the braces anymore and after that you should be fine. I have heard of some Mouth pieces that are a bit thinner that might help you not feel crowded in your mouth,

Acctually I'm not Certified YET, My Dad heard that if bubbles pop in your knees it can stunt the growth. So until he gets more info. we are holding off on getting me certified.

dogseatmayo
08-01-2008, 16:02
no, but the reg might make your mouth sore. get a good mouthpiece, bot don't get one like a seacure that forms to your mouth cuz then your teeth can't be repositioned as the mouthpiece is keeping them where they are

tfriend
01-26-2009, 14:09
Best advice is to pop a couple tylenol before you go diving, if you just got your braces tighten. It can hurt if you got your braces tightened within a couple days of a dive.