PDA

View Full Version : Aow question

Lion Fludd
10-02-2007, 12:58
I am going to take my Advance open water soon and was wondering from the pro's out there are there any advice for the 3 electives that padi offers what are some of the good ones for pracital uses.. I'm thinking about Search & Recovery, Night diving, and Peak Performanc Bouyancey. what's your opioion

dallasdivergirl
10-02-2007, 13:01
Those are three great choices!

Welcome :)

SeaLily
10-02-2007, 13:51
Good choices.

WV Diver
10-02-2007, 14:01
S&R and night diving are always good, another to ponder is navigation, dry suit and multilevel. These are practical and useful and can require some instruction to help you along.

I have always thought of peak performance buoyancy as something that one can pick up as they go. I know I did. You can read and practice and get what you need for this on your own, right out of the AOW book.

RocketMan
10-02-2007, 14:28
I did the same ones. Those are good choices

DarkCoffee
10-02-2007, 14:49
I'd sub out the S&R and go for navigation. Its not sexy but try night diving or S&R without being able to navigate u/w.

LW50
10-02-2007, 17:13
All three are very beneficial to your overall scuba diving experence. Gppd luck as you continue your adventure. Don't stop till you try Rescue Diver.

thor
10-02-2007, 17:14
Night diving is the coolest experience, next to actually breathing underwater for the first time. I did 4 dives for my AOW, which included all of your choices plus Navigation. Nav, for me, was the most challenging and most useful. I would definitely do Nav over S&R. PPB is something you will learn over time by diving more and using gear that best suits you.

BobArnold8265
10-09-2007, 09:25
I think the S&R class is the most important. After that, I'd take night diving simply because it's a lot of fun. Navigation would be my personal third choice because I do a fair amount of shore diving and it's nice to find your way back to the car !!!

Charlotte Smith
10-09-2007, 11:00
Navigation ......so important....

in_cavediver
10-09-2007, 11:33
With Padi, the AOW requires Nav and Deep.

Beyond that - what interests you? Night, S&R and PPB (if taught be a good instructor) are all good. Depending on where you are, wreck may be another one or photography/videography.

TxScubaBear
10-12-2007, 06:35
Indeed Nav is a required, but it sure shows how much you learned (or didn't...) when it comes to doing the S&R. I was amazed at how easy our S&R was once we got our pattern down and used our nav skills.

ScubaGir1
10-12-2007, 15:09
We did: night dive, PPB, wreck, navigation and deep. We had the choice of photography, videography, fish identification, and I think there may have been more...

But we decided that those were more usable at this point (we don't have fancy camera and recording equipment) and I can identify fish by myself LOL. Plus, learning PPB is VERY helpful, navigation was great and going deep with an instructor is (IMO) pretty important for a first time. :)

Have fun :smiley20:

dludwig
10-12-2007, 18:07

I think the Underwater Navigation should be a required speciality for AOW.

in_cavediver
10-13-2007, 11:18

I think the Underwater Navigation should be a required speciality for AOW.

It is.....

greyzen
10-13-2007, 15:01
Peak Performance Buoyancy, Underwater Navigation, and Search and Recovery, are in my opinion, the most important skills SCUBA you can have.

Being able to control where you are and where you want to be are critical for fun/etc.

Personally I loved Night Diving, and I appreciated Deep Diving, but the other three are globally important and the others are pretty easy to prevent if you aren't skilled.

Right now, I'm looking around in my new area for some downtime... stupid moving :(

mitsuguy
10-13-2007, 15:42
Peak Performance Buoyancy, Underwater Navigation, and Search and Recovery, are in my opinion, the most important skills SCUBA you can have.

Being able to control where you are and where you want to be are critical for fun/etc.

Personally I loved Night Diving, and I appreciated Deep Diving, but the other three are globally important and the others are pretty easy to prevent if you aren't skilled.

Right now, I'm looking around in my new area for some downtime... stupid moving :(

I agree about the buoyancy thing, but its hard for me to sign up for (doing AOW this coming weekend actually) a buoyancy dive when to me, buoyancy is something you should be working on every single dive until you have it down... for me, that was quite a few dives ago... granted, I'm going to have to play around with weighting a little bit as its been a while, I have a new BC, and I'll be back in fresh water, but none of which is enough to make me need to dedicate a whole dive to buoyancy...