PDA

View Full Version : Choose my new camera.

thor
10-02-2007, 17:19
My wife is buying me a new dive camera. I need your help ST folks. What should I buy? I am leaning towards a Canon G9 with Ikelight Housing, when it comes out. I am also thinking about buying a housing for my 10D instead, but I would rather get something smaller. I am open to any suggestions for a good setup in a comparable price range. My wife rocks.

ScubaToys Larry
10-02-2007, 17:22
Shout when you want an Ikelite housing... we carry them - just don't have them on the page as there are so many....

I'm not sure which camera you should get... but hold on to that wife!

dallasdivergirl
10-02-2007, 17:23
Your wife does rock!

Does she need to adopt a daughter? (hint, hint)

I have a Nikon Coolpix 7900 with a Fantasea housing. It's nice and small. I just wish I had gotten the red tint lens cap.

thor
10-03-2007, 09:57
Shout when you want an Ikelite housing... we carry them - just don't have them on the page as there are so many....

I'm not sure which camera you should get... but hold on to that wife!

Will you be carrying the housing for the G9?

dbh
10-03-2007, 20:16
The G9 in an Ike is the way that I would go (if I wasn't shooting a DSLR). I would add a single DS-125 strobe too.

Dave

torrey
10-03-2007, 22:44
I would probably go for the G9 as well...looks to be a sweet camera. If it were me though, I would probably go with the Canon housing over the Ikelite and use the extra money on a strobe.

bversteegh
10-08-2007, 22:36
The Ikelite housing will likely offer true TTL - really nice for macro photography. And Ike housings are very rugged - I have never used a Canon housing, but I had an Oly housing for a 4040, the OEM housings just aren't as rugged - IMO

somewhereinla
10-08-2007, 23:34
The new scuba diving magazine (November) has an article about underwater cameras you might want to read... Personally I have a Nikon p5000 with the Fantasea housing. I like Fantasea better than Ikelite. They are cheaper, extremely well built, they are more compact than their Ikelite equivalent and come with a one year fload warranty. They will replace both you camera and housing with new one... can't beat that...

diving4fun
10-09-2007, 06:25
Looks like Fantasea has a very limited selection, but they do look nice. I would definately want TTL on setup. My wife currently uses the SP-350 in an Ikelite housing with the DS-125 strobe. If I was getting a new camera setup next year, I would be looking very closely at the G9 in an Ikelite housing and the DS-125, which would rock! The new Sea & Sea DX-1G looks nice, but a bit expensive, and I'm not sure it has the ability to do TTL (please post if you know).

Vic

thor
10-09-2007, 16:31
Thanks everyone. I just ordered the G9 from B&H. I will give everyone a full report when I use it. It may be a while before I get the housing, but I am pretty sure I am going to wait for the Ikelight. It is sturdier, TTL, deeper rating, tray handle, etc

somewhereinla
10-09-2007, 20:31
The G9 looks really good on paper. Congratulation... We will need a full report and picture samples when you get it. The RAW feature is definitly going to be a plus for underwater photography.

scubamarc
10-10-2007, 10:18
I use the canon g7, almost the same at the g9 with the canon case and sea sea ys15 strobe, very happy!

Check out www.mwdives.com and all pictures in 2007 are from the g7, the rest is a canon sd500.

BobArnold8265
10-10-2007, 10:27
I posted a new thread about this but thought I'd tell everyone here as well. The first independant test results of the new Canon G9 are now available on the internet. To see them go to www.dcresource.com (http://www.dcresource.com)