PDA

View Full Version : Bungee for your mask??

WaScubaDude
10-02-2007, 17:37
I heard on this forum of tec divers bringing an extra mask in their BC pocket. What about a bungee or line to your mask strap to make it easier to retrieve when it gets kicked off?

Any thoughts pro or con?

Flatliner
10-02-2007, 17:39
Not a bad idea at all. I have put my mask strap under my hood for the same reason.

caroln
10-02-2007, 17:53
A bungee on your mask just provides another potential entanglement. A backup mask is completely out of the way unless you end up needing it.

WaScubaDude
10-02-2007, 18:39
A bungee on your mask just provides another potential entanglement. A backup mask is completely out of the way unless you end up needing it.

I thought about this. Divers attatch/bungee all kinds of stuff; cameras, lights, gauges, regs, spareair, why not the mask?? Plus you already have all the hoses back there to get caught.

floater
10-02-2007, 20:02
I think tech divers use lanyards less than rec divers because the the entanglement issue, although I'm sure you could configure it so as to minimize that possibility. But regardless you may still need to hand the spare mask to someone else if diving with a buddy or a team so I think it might only be a worthwhile solution for solo divers.

Splitlip
10-02-2007, 20:14
I heard on this forum of tec divers bringing an extra mask in their BC pocket. What about a bungee or line to your mask strap to make it easier to retrieve when it gets kicked off?

Any thoughts pro or con?
no no.
I am with caroln on this one.
When I first saw the title of the thread I thought you were talking bungee in lieu of a mask strap.
I actually use bungee on a set of fins instead of a rubber strap or spring straps.

A kicked mask in the day light is no biggie. At night it may be a different story so I carry a second mask for night dives. I am not a tech diver.
"tech" diving such as caves or wrecks would warrant an additional mask just by the nature of the dive. Not so much getting a mask kicked off.
"If you don't need it, leave it. If you need it, bring two."

Oh, and in an overhead, the last thing you would want is an added entanglement potential.

Flatliner
10-02-2007, 20:53
I am not a tech diver (yet) and I have had my mask kicked off twice by my son. For a rec dive with no penetrations I don't think a lanyard is a bad idea.

Splitlip
10-02-2007, 21:15
I am not a tech diver (yet) and I have had my mask kicked off twice by my son. For a rec dive with no penetrations I don't think a lanyard is a bad idea.

What did you do when the mask got kicked off? Just put it back on right?

Granted a lanyard can be more of a problem during penetration, but why have it when it is not needed or better alternatives are available?

I am not a tech dive, but I have had my snorkel entangled and my standard regulator hose entangled. I have never used a mask lanyard, so I can't say I have experienced an entanglement with one. I figure, why create a solution for a problem I don't think exists.

(I have one of those cords that attaches my hat to my collar with alligator clips. I get that entangled all the time :smiley36:)

paintsnow
10-03-2007, 00:26
so what would be the pros and cons of using bungee or surgical tubing (probably more comfortable) instead of a mask strap?

Splitlip
10-03-2007, 18:00
so what would be the pros and cons of using bungee or surgical tubing (probably more comfortable) instead of a mask strap?

No I would not think more comfortable.
I would not give any advantage to surgical tubing.

I use bungee on my instrument boots and one set of fins because they can be adjusted perfectly (at least once :smiley36:) without the need for further adjustment. And.. I know the bungee won't break suddenly. And at between $.75 and $1.50 per foot, very economical.

Cant' see using it for a mask though I would love to avoid a broken strap at an awkward moment. That is why the thread grabbed my attention

CompuDude
10-03-2007, 18:48

Neoprene mask strap replacement solves this issue more comfortably than bungee would.

BSea
10-03-2007, 19:02
I figure, why create a solution for a problem I don't think exists.

Neoprene mask strap replacement solves this issue more comfortably than bungee would.

I have to agree with both these statements. While I have been with people that lost their mask, it is pretty rare. I've had my mask kicke off, but have never lost it. In fact I don't recall anyone losing a mask while diving, it was always on the surface before or after a dive. Plus the neoprene straps are a step up from the basic strap, but I don't really think they hold any better. I do think they would hold better than either bungie or surgical tubing.

CompuDude
10-03-2007, 20:07
I have to agree with both these statements. While I have been with people that lost their mask, it is pretty rare. I've had my mask kicke off, but have never lost it. In fact I don't recall anyone losing a mask while diving, it was always on the surface before or after a dive. Plus the neoprene straps are a step up from the basic strap, but I don't really think they hold any better. I do think they would hold better than either bungie or surgical tubing.
Ever lose a mask in the surf zone? You'll have to be pretty darn lucky to find it again. Read the SoCal forums on ScubaBoard... you'll see posts nearly every week about masks lost in the surf at this beach or that.

I rigged a floating neoprene mask strap with a glo-toob for night diving through surf zones... if I lose the mask, I have at least a shot at finding it again. But if the surf is really up, there are no guarantees... I've lost a mask with a floating strap during the day before.

Still water is VERY different from an active ocean zone...

Splitlip
10-03-2007, 20:43
Ever lose a mask in the surf zone? You'll have to be pretty darn lucky to find it again. Read the SoCal forums on ScubaBoard... you'll see posts nearly every week about masks lost in the surf at this beach or that.

I rigged a floating neoprene mask strap with a glo-toob for night diving through surf zones... if I lose the mask, I have at least a shot at finding it again. But if the surf is really up, there are no guarantees... I've lost a mask with a floating strap during the day before.

I presume your not talking MOF. You guys punch through surf that will take a mask off your face? That would make for an entirely new set of protocols for me. This is my idea of a shore dive.
http://oceansurfmotel.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Peanutissmall.jpg

datamunk
10-03-2007, 22:35
yea, no need. KISS!! keep it simple stupid/sally/sandra/etc ;)

paintsnow
10-03-2007, 23:57
yeah, no need to fix something that isnt broken

i was just thinking different at the time
sorry :]

BSea
10-04-2007, 08:03

Good point. Not much surf over here in Ark. And nearly all my SW Diving has been from a boat. And when diving in the ocean, my mask stays on till I'm on the boat. I have done a fair share of snorkling in the surf, but no surf diving.

robanna
10-04-2007, 09:31
I just asked the same question over on SB.
To me it's a no-brainer. Bungee it vs carry a second mask.
Potential entrapment!? Please. What about the tank with all of the hoses on your back? we're talking a 4 inch string no more than 2 inches from the side of you head.

I've also seen tech diver with fins on leashes. Same deal there.

CompuDude
10-04-2007, 11:54

I presume your not talking MOF. You guys punch through surf that will take a mask off your face? That would make for an entirely new set of protocals for me. This is my idea of a shore dive.
http://oceansurfmotel.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Peanutissmall.jpg

Welcome to California, surfer's paradise. :) This is about as big as I'll go through without a really good reason, but waves like these don't necessarily preclude the experienced among us from diving. Normally, waves are half this size, but these are not entirely out of the ordinary... we get waves like this every couple of months, I'd say.

And yes, they'll take your mask. Divers lose fins sometimes, too. (although that's usually user error from dropping them or getting nailed while trying to put them on, although I have heard stories of them being ripped off a diver's foot)

marchand
10-04-2007, 12:33

If a bungee on your mask is going to be a potential entanglement, then so is the mask strap and your second stage. seeing that most divers don't go around trying to fit through holes that they might be able to fit their head though a bungee running down the side of your face to a shoulder d-ring isn't going to get caught on anything except maybe some seaweed.

For me a bungee on my mask would be more practical because it is cheaper and I have to have prescription lenses in my mask which are expensive, and no one else is going to be trying to use my backup mask (if I had one) because they wouldn't be able to see anything.

somewhereinla
10-04-2007, 21:04
I know a couple of people that use surgical tubing attach to their mask in case the get loose. It works very well. I am actually thinking of getting some for my mask.

Splitlip
10-04-2007, 21:16

I presume your not talking MOF. You guys punch through surf that will take a mask off your face? That would make for an entirely new set of protocals for me. This is my idea of a shore dive.

Welcome to California, surfer's paradise. :) This is about as big as I'll go through without a really good reason, but waves like these don't necessarily preclude the experienced among us from diving. Normally, waves are half this size, but these are not entirely out of the ordinary... we get waves like this every couple of months, I'd say.

And yes, they'll take your mask. Divers lose fins sometimes, too. (although that's usually user error from dropping them or getting nailed while trying to put them on, although I have heard stories of them being ripped off a diver's foot)

OUTSIDE! CLOSEOUT Bro!

I would not loose may mask in that. Cause you ain't gonna see me in that. With SCUBA anyway. :smiley2:

Splitlip
10-04-2007, 21:28
I just asked the same question over on SB.
To me it's a no-brainer. Bungee it vs carry a second mask.
Potential entrapment!? Please. What about the tank with all of the hoses on your back? we're talking a 4 inch string no more than 2 inches from the side of you head.

I've also seen tech diver with fins on leashes. Same deal there.

Well, my hoses are tucked pretty tight. No halo. I agree the little loop we are discussing would not be a big issue, but what I envision is the mask coming off and then snagging or wrapping something like a bolo. Maybe wrap around a hose. I say keep it simple. Although, I might be less critical having seen compudude's photos.

Tech divers and fin leashes? Just because a "tech" diver does something it does not mean it is a good idea. (although I would be interested in seeing them, as well as the proposed mask leash)

I once saw a "tech" diver clip off is surface float to his BC. I know from experience that is not a good idea.

CompuDude
10-04-2007, 23:15
Tech divers and fin leashes? Just because a "tech" diver does something it does not mean it is a good idea. (although I would be interested in seeing them, as well as the proposed mask leash)
There is a DIY-happy local diver around here who has developed a fairly slick system (several, actually) for mask retention. He's certainly not DIR (as you'll see immediately) but he has had a few good ideas nonetheless... and he's a nice guy and a really good photographer. I'm not certain that I would adopt the precise method he is currently using, but I might consider adapting it slightly at some point. (Obviously this would be dive plan-dependent... deep wrecks off a boat wouldn't warrant the same mask strap a 35' shore dive through heavy surf would.)

If you're interested, take a look at the three progressions of mask-saver designs he has gone through in getting to his current design (the info for which is abbreviated, thus the need to look at the earlier versions to get the whole picture):
http://www.ocdiving.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=6020

citykid
10-08-2007, 18:02
I keep my back up mask in my BC pocket. Always there so if I get kicked in the face I know where to go without thinking and eyes closed. And I got rid of my snorkel. That just gets in the way.

scubamarc
10-09-2007, 08:31
Here is the sure way not to loose your mask.

If you were a hood, then place the mask strap under the hood. There is
no way it will get kicked off your head.

reservecops
10-09-2007, 08:53
I recently dropped my mask while floating @ the surface in some pretty murky water (didn't realize I had dropped it). Luckily, I was with 8 other divers and they were able to find it. At THAT time, a lanyard of sorts would have been a welcome addition ... ;)

Flatliner
10-10-2007, 16:53
Compudude,

For most of the dives I am currently doing, I would have to say that the DIY mask saver you linked too would work great for me. Thanks for the link.

WaScubaDude
10-11-2007, 10:02
Here is the sure way not to loose your mask.

If you were a hood, then place the mask strap under the hood. There is
no way it will get kicked off your head.

I will try this on the next dive.

RoadRacer1978
10-11-2007, 14:22
I see no problem with surgical tubing or bungee being used as a tether to keep you mask attached as long is it is short and isn't floating around to be caught on something. Especially in a non overhead enviroment. If you had a bungee tied to you mask with some type of like aligator clip or some type of clip you could squeeze together to release and just clip it to the back collar of you wetsuit. Thin if it did come off and get tangled around something you could always unclip it or pull free of it.

A clip like this maybe.

http://www.lanyardsonly.co.nz/images/attachments/large/alligator_clip_metal.jpg

Attach the bungee to the clip and tie the bungee to the mask. Keep it short enough there is no major slack, then clip the clip to the top of your wetsuit collar, bcd or whatever you like.

Tod
10-12-2007, 18:07
I have (fortunately) never had my mask knocked off my face while diving. However, I can imagine it happens in a more confined environment and having a back-up (redundant) system would be worth while.

For the record, I have found three masks in the surf zone. Just by chance when I came out of the surf I stumbled across them. One of those had prescription lenses in it. Unfortunately, I didn't discover that until I tried to lend it to someone (who needed a mask) and they complained about "how do you see through one of these things?" I looked a question back at them and they handed the mask to me (I had just tossed it in a box at home and never tried to see through it). Whoa! Someone had bad eyes and probably couldn't see well enough to find it after it came off. [If anyone lost a yellow prescription lense mask in Monterey, let me know.]

If you want to see more about entanglements, try to find a copy of "Hitler's Lost Sub" which was originally a NOVA program. It's the same story of the "Shadow Divers" but more from the research perspective. The videos inside that sub, with all the junk hanging down, would make you think very carefully about what you have on your rig.

For the rest of us recreational divers in open water, the idea isn't that much of a safety concern. But in a pinch you could easily go back up to the surface without needing to see much. Inside a cave or a wreck, different story. (repeating the obvious)

danielh03
10-13-2007, 15:01

If a bungee on your mask is going to be a potential entanglement, then so is the mask strap and your second stage. seeing that most divers don't go around trying to fit through holes that they might be able to fit their head though a bungee running down the side of your face to a shoulder d-ring isn't going to get caught on anything except maybe some seaweed.

For me a bungee on my mask would be more practical because it is cheaper and I have to have prescription lenses in my mask which are expensive, and no one else is going to be trying to use my backup mask (if I had one) because they wouldn't be able to see anything.

Same issue here, and in the end, doesn't it come down to divers preferance?

russp
10-19-2007, 15:13

Any thoughts pro or con?

I just asked Joe at ScubaToys about using one of the accessory clips they sell for just this purpose and he recommended the ones that have a 36" coiled lanyard attached. They are the CRLO1 or CRLO3 on the ScubaToys website under accessories.

sudnit5
10-19-2007, 15:20
I usually put my mask under my hood, works great.

No Misses
10-19-2007, 15:30
I have been on a dive where a diver lost his mask. Very long story made short. A black grouper hit him in the chest and then knocked the reg out of his mouth and mask off of his face! This all happened in ~70 fsw.