PDA

View Full Version : When you pack your gear

BuzzF117
10-02-2007, 19:26
When you pack your gear for even a short tript to a local dive location should your dive bag be packed fairly tight or should you gear loosely fit into the bag? When you put your BCD in the bag should the bladder be facing out or inside the bag you using? Just some questions for a new diver. I know you pack in the opposite order you need stuff i.e regs on top then BCD....

nuf said
Buzz

ccarter
10-02-2007, 20:06
Short trip I dont usually bother putting my BC in the bag.. throw all the stuff I need in the bag.. wetsuit.. regs.. flippers.. etc.. and throw my bc over my shoulder. No particular order or anything.. I'm not that anal about packing my dive gear.

Long trip.. checking a bag.. I pack everything pretty carefully and carry on regs, computers, camera housing, etc. usually have my bc with harness facing up flippers inside it and pack around that with everything else that's left over.. clothes and what not.

Flatliner
10-02-2007, 20:22
If I am diving local, I use the trunk of my car as a dive bag...

FishFood
10-02-2007, 20:27
If I am diving local, I use the trunk of my car as a dive bag...

The best dive bag ever...

When you pack your gear for even a short tript to a local dive location should your dive bag be packed fairly tight or should you gear loosely fit into the bag? When you put your BCD in the bag should the bladder be facing out or inside the bag you using? Just some questions for a new diver. I know you pack in the opposite order you need stuff i.e regs on top then BCD....

Dive equipment is not very fragile. You should treat it with care, but it's not glass.

After a few dives, when the new wears off, youll be tossing gear in the car from 20 ft away ;)

Just domnt kink any hoses and you're good to go.

Damselfish
10-02-2007, 21:16
if you were checking the stuff on a plane you need to be careful about how you pack due to the luggage gorillas, etc. For local diving it's usually not all that important, and after a couple times you'll develop your own system. (Maybe this is obvious, but you don't want to put your weights in your bag.)

namabiru
10-02-2007, 23:48
Here's something to remember. If you pack your reg, and you have a knife in the back of the console, remember to take the knife out. I remembered the first time, the second time, with all the stress of relocation, I accidentally forgot. Oops. Needless to say, I have to purchase a new knife. So it goes. *shrug* The $35 is a small price to pay for getting out of the States.

BuzzGA
10-02-2007, 23:54
If I'm not going far...just get it in the bag and usually the BCD is thrown over my shoulder. When I fly regs, computers, and mask come on board with me. Fins, wetsuit, BCD get packed in a hard case golf carrier. It's lockable and has wheels not to mention fairly cheap at Wal or K Mart

TCB
10-04-2007, 18:36
When checking my gear for an air trip, one thing I do is secure the knife that's attached to my BC with a zip tie so that it can't be taken out of the sheath. With as many people that are likely to go pawing through checked baggage today, it removes any temptation to 'borrow' it. There's a pair of shears in the bag that can be used to remove it when we arrive.

tremtech
10-04-2007, 18:44
Just dive and have fun, don't sweat the small stuff it just adds to stress and everyone knows that stress kills.

cutter77
10-10-2007, 19:01
On a recent trip to the Caymans, out of the 16 divers on our boat, 12 had their checked luggage rifled through and items stolen in the past several years. I travel light, no checked luggage....everything goes in a roll-on and a backpack.