PDA

View Full Version : Set up for Twins

2Dogs
10-03-2007, 00:46
I'm about to embark into the technical world of Deco Proceedures and Advanced Nirtox (TDI). Any suggestions as to how best to set up twins for deeper, deco dives?

I've upgraded my Wing for doubles and have 2 regs but am interested in others views on setups, hose lengths, stage bottles, etc

Charles R
10-03-2007, 08:55
DIR Double Tank Hose Kit
Double Tank Hose Kit Only
$89.95 $89.95
Dive Rite 300 Bar Dual Manifold
$280.00 $280.00
Highland Stainless Steel Cylinder Bands
7.25 Inch
$159.00 $159.00
HP Steel 100 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-100
$345.00 $690.00

mm_dm
10-03-2007, 09:24
This may help: http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/reg_config_doubles.html

MSilvia
10-03-2007, 09:28
AL40 deco bottles are the way to go IMHO. I tried several sizes and found that steel is way to heavy for the job, and smaller AL bottles don't have as much capacity as I'd like. The AL40s have almost ideal buoyancy and are nicely out of the way when stage mounted.

ScaredSilly
10-03-2007, 14:55
DIR Double Tank Hose Kit
Double Tank Hose Kit Only
$89.95 $89.95
Dive Rite 300 Bar Dual Manifold
$280.00 $280.00
Highland Stainless Steel Cylinder Bands
7.25 Inch
$159.00 $159.00
HP Steel 100 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-100
$345.00 $690.00

These prices are n00b prices - a savy person can find much better prices without much difficultly.

That said the world of technical diving is not cheap. As someone said it will put your credit card into deco really quick.

MxDiver
10-03-2007, 16:10
I'm about to embark into the technical world of Deco Proceedures and Advanced Nirtox (TDI). Any suggestions as to how best to set up twins for deeper, deco dives?

I've upgraded my Wing for doubles and have 2 regs but am interested in others views on setups, hose lengths, stage bottles, etc

I'm not due to enter the technical world just yet, I'm waiting till next year, but when I was faced with the same dilema you are I was told to talk to my instructor and get his feedback, some agencies/instructors have certain requirements for the course, if you talk to him you have a better chance of getting the right stuff the firs time around.
Regards

fire diver
10-03-2007, 16:33

Well, somehow I just lost the entire page I had typed out for you.

Sorry bro, but I'm too lazy to type it again right now. Check out these pages for gear configs.

http://www.gue.com/

http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/shartley/projects/gear/#together

FD

PS- I am not a DIR diver, but they have put a lot of thought and trial into thier gear configuration. Use what works best for you.

2Dogs
10-03-2007, 21:02
[quote=2Dogs;66622]
Well, somehow I just lost the entire page I had typed out for you.

Sorry bro, but I'm too lazy to type it again right now. Check out these pages for gear configs.

http://www.gue.com/

http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/shartley/projects/gear/#together

FD

PS- I am not a DIR diver, but they have put a lot of thought and trial into thier gear configuration. Use what works best for you.

Wow......I think that I'm suffering from information overload. The second link that you sent is extremely comprehensive (although it would appear that some of the links that are in this web page are no longer functional).

I think that I've got a handle on hose lengths and what hoses to attach to each 1st stage reg. Although I plan on running through my thoughts with the instructor to make sure he's happy with my plans.

I do have another question that comes from the setup proposed in the second link.

"why does his primary 2nd stage regulator have a clip attachment on it?"
Surely this reg is either in the diver's mouth or their buddy's mouth. With the backup 2nd stage reg on it's necklace around his neck.

What's it going to be clipped to?

fire diver
10-03-2007, 21:28
Ah yes. I had covered that in the original text that I lost.

The clip on the primary is for safety and easy of use. Any time that reg is not in your mouth, or your buddy's, you clip it to you right shoulder D-ring. This could be while hanging out on the surface, or while doing S-drills. Remember, you got 7 feet of hose there. If you should "drop" that reg, it could get wrapped up in your gear, your buddies gear, drag through the sand/mud, and generaly be a pain in the butt.

Any other questions? Anything about deco tanks, or manifold types or anything? I am just starting down this road too, and have had to go through all the research and pondering that you are doing now.

FD

ScaredSilly
10-05-2007, 09:30
As Fire Diver notes it is so you do not have it floating around when it is not in your or buddy's mouth like while doing a deco stop and breathing off another cylinder. I position the clip on the hose so that if needed I can get the reg in my mouth while it is still clipped. This is so when things are foobared and for some reason I need a reg I can get it. I never want a reg in such a way that I can not shove it in my mouth at any time.

CompuDude
10-05-2007, 12:37
Hose routing if you have ScubaPro regs:

http://www.costablancascuba.com/dir/

But yes, the basics are a pair of tanks of identical height (there is a lot of manufacturer variation even among the same size tank from the same manufacturer... while Worthington tanks are great, they are notorious for having a lot of variation... you don't want your doubles leaning to the left and putting stress on the manifold because of a 1/2" difference in tank height!), appropriately sized manifold and tank bands (Highland Mills/XS Scuba, accept no substitute!). Assuming you already have a backplate and doubles wing with sufficient lift, and you said you already have regs, you should be good to go. It is very important that your tanks are mounted at the correct height so you can reach all three valves on the isolation manifold, so be sure to have an instructor or experienced buddy help you with this, and teach you valve drills.

2Dogs
10-06-2007, 04:09
As Fire Diver notes it is so you do not have it floating around when it is not in your or buddy's mouth like while doing a deco stop and breathing off another cylinder. I position the clip on the hose so that if needed I can get the reg in my mouth while it is still clipped. This is so when things are foobared and for some reason I need a reg I can get it. I never want a reg in such a way that I can not shove it in my mouth at any time.
That certainly makes sense re where to position the clip. I doubt whether the dude pictured in the setup contained in the 2nd link could do that. His clip was right next to the second stage,