PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Tank Mesh Protector...

cyclone
10-03-2007, 05:15
Do you guys ever use this? I encountered a problem which no matter how tight my locking strap is, the tank just seems to slip out of the mesh especially when it gets wet. Any solution to this?

skdvr
10-03-2007, 07:39
Never had that happen to me. I cant imagine that you are getting the straps tight enought if the tank is just sliding out, but if that is the case I would think that the net is completely stretched out and you need to get a new one, or you can just take it off for good. I have decided that mine are staying off unless I am going to be doing shore diving, when my tanks may be laying on the ground. They just seem to get in the way. They make it hared to get the cam straps around the tank, and they snag and grab each other while in my tank rack.

Phil

Hemlon
10-03-2007, 08:17
Take the mesh off. Tanks are meant to get scrached!

;)

fire diver
10-03-2007, 08:19
The solution is to take those things off and throw them in the trash. Tanks are meant to be used and show signs of use. A bright, shiny, show-room tank is a sign of an un-loved tank.

FD

jbres1
10-03-2007, 09:45
Question for you.
Do you get your tank straps wet before putting the bc on the tank ?
If not , try getting the tank straps soaking wet then place it on the tank.
I get my set up wet before i put my kit together, and I have never had any problems with the strap getting loose.
I also use the tank mesh on my tanks.
Jim Breslin

Charles R
10-03-2007, 10:08
I would get the Cam straps wet before putting the tank on the BC if that dose not work then take the net off when putting the tank on your bc and just use it for tranport and storage.

K-Valve
10-03-2007, 10:13
The main problem with using tank mesh is...ummm...using tank mesh! :smilie39:
Get rid of it.

Flatliner
10-03-2007, 10:22
Wow, I almost feel like I am back on Scubaboard. Anybody ever use spare air???????

My guess would be that you aren't getting the tank staps tight enough in the first place. If you are sure that this isn't your issue, you can try some harder rubber spacers of some kind to compensate for compression that comes with depth. (Same concept as the wedge blocks that DSS makes)

If you want to use the tank mesh to protect your gear more power to you.

ScubaToys Larry
10-03-2007, 10:28
As others have said... get tank straps wet, get them tight. I've never had a problem using the mesh, except when they get old and "saggy" sometimes when flipping over the cam latch, the mesh can get pinched in the cam and tear holes in it.

Another cure might just be get a latch that is easier to get very tight without having to use the cam latch - the bio tank lock: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Tanklock

bubble-head
10-03-2007, 10:33
I used to have tank mesh on my old aluminum 80's. After trying every trick in the book, I ended up removing them.

js1scuba
10-03-2007, 10:35
The typical plastic mesh that is used on scuba cylinders here in the states does not have a "gripping" to it. The material is slick and not pliable enough. This is why it will "spring" open the buckle and will slide around on the tank. In europe they use a nylon thread material mesh that is very thin and does work well.

For the most part get rid of the plastic mesh. The only reason its sold by dive stores is because for many years it came free with scuba tanks from the distributor as a way to make a few extra bucks on a low margin (tank) product.

If you care for your tanks properly. Wash them when done using them, put a proper tank boot and valve cap on, the cylinder will last for a very long time. A few scratches here and there will not affect it.

Cheers

fire diver
10-03-2007, 10:56
Hijack on ---

Hey Joel! Welcome the board. Glad to see another familiar face among the crowd.

--- Hijack over

FD

fire diver
10-03-2007, 10:58
Wow, I almost feel like I am back on Scubaboard. Anybody ever use spare air???????

No, notice that he hasn't been called stupid or anything like that. He asked for thoughts on the problem, and removing the mesh is certainly a solution.

FD

ScubaToys Larry
10-03-2007, 11:04

No, notice that he hasn't been called stupid or anything like that. He asked for thoughts on the problem, and removing the mesh is certainly a solution.

FD

Exactly! And yes... I use a spare air. :smiley20:

CC1020
10-03-2007, 11:21
Yep, ditched mine too... they were starting to slide up, and the exposed ends of the mesh snagged on some monofilament, as well as some trot lines at the lake. So I just said, Buh-bye!

fire diver
10-03-2007, 11:22

OMG! You're gonna die!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation. :smiley36:

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

FD

ianr33
10-03-2007, 11:30

FD

Stroke! :smiley36:

cyclone
10-03-2007, 16:24
As others have said... get tank straps wet, get them tight. I've never had a problem using the mesh, except when they get old and "saggy" sometimes when flipping over the cam latch, the mesh can get pinched in the cam and tear holes in it.

Another cure might just be get a latch that is easier to get very tight without having to use the cam latch - the bio tank lock: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Tanklock
Yep, I have used all the techniques on what you guys have mentioned. Soaking the strap in water before using and such and such... I think the problem is that the tank is so sleek and shiny which will not slip if the counter holder is plain rubber (which found at the back of regular BCD). And with the mesh protector made out of plastic and if it happen that you used this to grab the hole tank, even how tight your strap is it just tend to slip out. Yep, I have took the advice on throwing it away, it's pretty dangerous if your standing up or walk and never realize that your tank is about to slip and BAM!!! there goes your tank on the floor, jerking you with it, stamble and tip of with it or worst if this happen when your diving this is a lot of work trying to put your tank back on your BCD.

IrishSquid
10-03-2007, 20:08

OMG! You're gonna die!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation. :smiley36:

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

FD

:smilie39::smilie39:

Shouldn't have any problem with mesh if it's BLACK! :smiley20:

Damselfish
10-03-2007, 20:52
oddly, when I used to have the mesh things they actually seemed to make the tank band grip better. But they made it such a pain to get the BC on the tank I ditched the mesh.

cyclone
10-04-2007, 00:39
I will try a sticky back tape or a rubber band tape material in between mesh protector and tank and see if it holds.

skdvr
10-04-2007, 07:42
Just get rid of it.... I do not like things to get sratched and marked up. I hope that after 5 or 6 years of using my equipment people still think that it is brand new. So I do use them if I am planning on laying them on the ground, but otherwise like it has been said they just get in the way. The biggest thing that annoys me is when I am trying ot slide the straps over the top and it is catching on the top of the mesh. I think that the buckle straps that Larry mentioned are a great idea too. In a way I wish that I had them. They only reason that I did not buy them is becuase I am constantly switching between a 7.25" and 8" tank.

Phil

Boris42
10-04-2007, 07:53
Take the mesh off. Tanks are meant to get scrached!

;)

This is what I told my SO. She was so worried about her new tank getting scratched. What I told her is that scratches are a badge of honor. No scratches, no use! The only way to keep it perfect is to put it in the closet and never use it. So bring on the scratches!