PDA

View Full Version : What was your most "troubling" training exercise?

Boris42
10-03-2007, 07:52
I was just curious what training exercise was more troubling for people.

I think for me it was when I was told I had to breath from a freeflow. I said "you want me to do WHAT???" Well as we know it's not that difficult. In fact it was kinda cool once I'd done it. But the thought of it at first was terrifying!

Dave

Zenagirl
10-03-2007, 08:07
Mask removal. Now it's not such a big deal (though I still hate it), but the first few times I did it, it really bothered me a lot.

Charles R
10-03-2007, 08:45
Valve drill reaching back and turning off my air scared the heck out of me! Still dose

PhantomCat
10-03-2007, 08:56
Hmm in Dive Master training we had to switch all our gear, WHILE sharing air. Yes mask, fins, snorkel and BC and weights.
Now this bothered me because...it was a labor intensive excerise, so what if my buddy didn't give up the air?? As it turned out this did happen a couple of times. But I was watching that reg so close I forgot to be scared.

MSilvia
10-03-2007, 09:20
The hardest training drill for me so far was ascending as a threesome from 40 feet with a 30 second stop every ten feet. There was no reference line, one diver's mask was removed, and we had to share air while doing it.

Boris42
10-03-2007, 09:25
The hardest training drill for me so far was ascending as a threesome from 40 feet with a 30 second stop every ten feet. There was no reference line, one diver's mask was removed, and we had to share air while doing it.

Wow, which card were you working toward?

Vercingetorix
10-03-2007, 09:37
Mask flood (mask remains in place). In mid-40s water, that is a COLD shock. Mask removal was easy.

ertechsg
10-03-2007, 09:45
Air share and accend with buddy just both trying to go slow and stay neutral

dallasdivergirl
10-03-2007, 10:01
I don't mind flooding my mask (I do it all the time to de-fog) but I am extremely paranoid about my contacts getting washed out. Worst for me was having to nav in low viz.

greyzen
10-03-2007, 10:33
I don't mind flooding my mask (I do it all the time to de-fog) but I am extremely paranoid about my contacts getting washed out. Worst for me was having to nav in low viz.

I'm not the only one!!

Heh, I forgot to defog my mask during my night dive a few weeks ago, so sure enough it kept fogging up. Back on the shore I was talking about it and how I had to flood it constantly, everyone look at me like I was narc'd :)

subsur
10-03-2007, 11:04
buoyancy in a drysuite. i suspect i was slightly underweight or needed ankle weights.

dallasdivergirl
10-03-2007, 11:08

I'm not the only one!!

Heh, I forgot to defog my mask during my night dive a few weeks ago, so sure enough it kept fogging up. Back on the shore I was talking about it and how I had to flood it constantly, everyone look at me like I was narc'd :)

I swear my masks are on auto-fog! I have given them an extra cleaning or two in the last week before I head out for Bonaire. My left side of my mask is always fogged. I feel like a one eyed diver.

JCAT
10-03-2007, 11:17
I'm 6', 198lbs and was the smallest guy in rescue class. It was very troubling!

TX1Chica
10-03-2007, 15:07
Got to go with mask flooding. In class I would rather just take the whole thing off than have to flood it halfway. Now its no big deal. Like most of you I do it during dives when my mask fogs. I don't know why its such a big deal in class...I guess it just doesn't feel right

CaribbeanDiver
10-03-2007, 16:21
valve drills was the hardest for me. I had to train for months to be able to be that flexible.

in_cavediver
10-03-2007, 17:15
Scuba Unit removal/replacement AT depth. (for Advanced Nitrox)

I vividly recall the humor and then horror of doing this in 30ft of very cold water. (it was snowing if that tells you something). I watched my classmates take off double 100's and try to put them back on. I flooded my mask twice and thought wow, this can't be that hard. Then, it was me. Looking back, I was lucky, mine was a single 120 w/ H valve not the 104's I dive now. Still, I ended up on the wrong side of the bouyancy swing and was clawing down a mooring rope to get to my gear. (thank god for a 7ft hose). I did complete it but man was it painful!

It did teach me that in that situation, taking my gear off is one of the very LAST options I want to go with.

Of course, I did it again with a set of AL 80's and a shorty/skin in the middle of summer in 20ft of water and had zero problems. Still, cold water and heavy insulation in a drysuit has me worried to this day about doing that skill.

shari75202
10-03-2007, 17:55
Scuba Unit removal and replacement. This was SOOO hard for me during class. I just could not get it! I practiced and practiced at home in my pool and when I had to do it at depth during my Open Water weekend I DID IT!!! I was soo proud of myself.

ScubaJenn81
10-03-2007, 18:22
Mask removal in really cold water for sure, close second was messing around with my reg and buddy breathing in salt water while sea sick, not fun.

DivingsInMyBlood
10-03-2007, 19:30
Mask removal in cold water for me wearing a hood using 7mm mits, took me quite a while to get it done and get the skirt of the mask under my hood whilst sucking up water through my nose. its a fantastic skill to keep doing all the time.

georoc01
10-04-2007, 08:27
I had one instructor have us do a drill where we had to swim the entire circumference of the pool with our mask removed. A challenge wearing contacts.

Maintaining a consistent depth during navigation drills can be a challenge depending on what reference points you have.

MSilvia
10-04-2007, 12:50

Wow, which card were you working toward?
It was a GUE DIR fundamentals class, but I wasn't doing it for the card so much as for the learning experience. I got a 'provisional pass' but haven't attended a followup to try to actually pass. In any case, that's considered a basic skill divers should master before pursuing additional GUE training in cave or technical diving.

Now that I think of it, there was a reference line. On top of everything else, one of us had to deploy a SMB at depth.

RonFrank
10-04-2007, 13:06
To date it had to be removing both my equipment, and a buddy's equipment on the surface while keeping the Victim afloat, and doing rescue breaths.

It did not help that my buddy overheated in the first few minutes of the pool session, and stripped off his 3mm fullsuit only to reveal a tiny Speedo. To add insult to injury, he's a big (6'3"), hairy, 250lbs+ dude! :smiley5:

MSilvia
10-04-2007, 13:12
To add insult to injury, he's a big (6'3"), hairy, 250lbs+ dude! :smiley5:
Man... a sasquatch in a Speedo. That's gotta take the prize.

DivingsInMyBlood
10-04-2007, 13:49
To date it had to be removing both my equipment, and a buddy's equipment on the surface while keeping the Victim afloat, and doing rescue breaths.

It did not help that my buddy overheated in the first few minutes of the pool session, and stripped off his 3mm fullsuit only to reveal a tiny Speedo. To add insult to injury, he's a big (6'3"), hairy, 250lbs+ dude! :smiley5:

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: AAAHHHHH HAHAHAHA...

Thats too funny :smilie39:

CivilE
10-04-2007, 14:48
I'd have to say removing my gear at depth and then trying to put it back on. Had the darnedest time trying to find that arm hole

:cheers:

CivilE

Boris42
10-04-2007, 17:09
Ok, I have to admit the thought of breathing from a purging reg was terrifying, but the most difficult exercise for me was the duff and don at depth while buddy breathing. Finding that second arm hole was a *!&%$! It took several attempts to get it.

kingfish
10-04-2007, 17:52
The weekend of my open water dives was a shocker and the vis was at best about 6ft.
There was about 2ft of leaves on the bottom from the wild weather, and we had to do mask removal and recovery.
After i took my mask off i must have stirred up the leaves and it was almost impossable to find it.
When i found it and put it back on my face there were about 10 leaves in my mask as well.
I found that a bit tricky.

Jas.

tremtech
10-04-2007, 18:19
Rescue Diver course , Unconscious diver recovery from over 150 yards note my buddy weighed over 250#s, Im over 250#s .The drill was as follows: swim from the boat to my buddy, roll him over, check for breathing, call for pizza, begin administering rescue breaths on a five count and setting his and my bouyancy, drop his weights,dont forget the breaths, tow his giant ass-istant back to the boat against a 2 mph current,dont forget the breaths, stripping his gear while keeping his giant pumpkin head from going under,dont forget the breaths, and after all this to attempt to get over 500#s onto the deck of the dive boat . My buddy will tell you the same thing. The next after that, the lift bag during AOW Search and Recovery diver was challenging trying to keep the lift bag from rocketing to the surface while ascending.

cshel
10-04-2007, 18:47
Rescue Diver course , Unconscious diver recovery from over 150 yards note my buddy weighed over 250#s, Im over 250#s .The drill was as follows: swim from the boat to my buddy, roll him over, check for breathing, call for pizza, begin administering rescue breaths on a five count and setting his and my bouyancy, drop his weights,dont forget the breaths, tow his giant ass-istant back to the boat against a 2 mph current,dont forget the breaths, stripping his gear while keeping his giant pumpkin head from going under,dont forget the breaths, and after all this to attempt to get over 500#s onto the deck of the dive boat . My buddy will tell you the same thing. The next after that, the lift bag during AOW Search and Recovery diver was challenging trying to keep the lift bag from rocketing to the surface while ascending.

Don't forget the breaths! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

I don't remember having any trouble with OW class.
I'm sure that will change with AOW.

Cojrock
10-04-2007, 19:12
It has to be mask removal for me. Even now i still dont like having it off underwater but its mostly because i have prescription lenses so i struggle to see with it off.

rayandpam
10-04-2007, 22:10
I only have OW and don't know if it is considered a training exercise but the pool swim and especially the 10 minute float nearly did me in. Pam could float on her back while reading a book while I sink like a rock.

BobArnold8265
10-05-2007, 10:36
I agree with many of you. Mask removal was always the hardest for me to master. I don't think twice about it now but the first few times it was difficult.

BobbyWombat
10-05-2007, 12:21
Mask flooding was the one that made me nervous. Particularly the partially flooded mask.

Mask removal was no big deal. Nice to see that i'm not alone on this one.

danielh03
10-05-2007, 12:36
At first I hated the mask removal, but now, its gear removal replacement with a weight intergrated BCD

DiverBry
10-07-2007, 21:46
Deepwater Exit! LOL!

datamunk
10-07-2007, 21:52
i dont like the removing bc and putting back on in water.. only cuz i put so much weight in the bc (now i share it on my weight belt)...

and like someone said in DM i had to switch gear well.. i actually loved that excercise haha cuz, we were in a pool around 12', and i wear a XXL bc and my partner wore a M... so, it was really entertaining for the instructor to see me flailing about tryin to squeeze into smaller gear... hahaha i wanna do it again

Scuba Nymph
10-07-2007, 22:05
My most troubling skill was the snorkel/regulator exchange. I just can't seem to breathe through a snorkel...

MxDiver
10-08-2007, 20:10
For me it was swiming undewater from one tank to another several times.

pnevai
10-08-2007, 20:57
Ok, I have to admit the thought of breathing from a purging reg was terrifying, but the most difficult exercise for me was the duff and don at depth while buddy breathing. Finding that second arm hole was a *!&%$! It took several attempts to get it.

I am surprised that the instructor did not demonstrate the overhead don technique. You start off wiith the BC laid flat and open infront of you. It is oriented so the BC is on top and the tank valve is pointing towards you. You slip your arms through the shoulder straps and grasp the tank. In one motion you lift the unit over your head nad let it settle over your back. Make sure that the regulator hose is between your arms.

Sure to impress the lady divers.

chace_nicole
10-08-2007, 21:51

Ok, I'm either going to get educated or made fun of horribly for asking but no stupid questions right??? "call for pizza" LOL when I read it, but then wondered...here comes the questions...is that code for help or something in rescue class? Gulp..ok I said it.

My problem was mask removal, wanted to breathe through my nose at first, snorkel/reg exchange was tricky because I have a fold up snorkel & those are harder to clear IMO.

JCAT
10-09-2007, 06:11
chace_nicole wrote,

Ok, I'm either going to get educated or made fun of horribly for asking but no stupid questions right??? "call for pizza" LOL when I read it, but then wondered...here comes the questions...is that code for help or something in rescue class? Gulp..ok I said it.

My problem was mask removal, wanted to breathe through my nose at first, snorkel/reg exchange was tricky because I have a fold up snorkel & those are harder to clear IMO.No, you will not be made fun of. You are correct, calling for pizza in a rescue class is code for YOU! go get help, call 911 ect.

Its done this way so on-lookers, bystanders, whoever, don't get the wrong impression and actually call 911 and tie up resources on false alarms.

Boris42
10-09-2007, 07:51

I am surprised that the instructor did not demonstrate the overhead don technique. You start off wiith the BC laid flat and open infront of you. It is oriented so the BC is on top and the tank valve is pointing towards you. You slip your arms through the shoulder straps and grasp the tank. In one motion you lift the unit over your head nad let it settle over your back. Make sure that the regulator hose is between your arms.

No my instructor didn't teach me that maneuver, but now that you describe it I'm sure that would be the easiest way to getter done! I've got to try that one just for fun.

liuk3
10-09-2007, 17:22
Underwater swim one length of the pool in one breath and no push-off from the wall.

cummings66
10-09-2007, 21:39
Taking off the BC is also easy by reversing the overhead technique. Especially if you're at depth. You'll find it's so much easier doing things this way. It's actually harder on the surface than it is under water.

To date nothing has rocked my world, but I did wonder how I was going to do underwater natural navigation without the aid of a compass. At the time a rock was a rock and they all looked the same to me.

DZorn00
10-11-2007, 11:44
Having just completed my OW certification the hardest task for me is bouancy. No matter what i do I just can not get it right, its either be a rocket and fly out of the water or the Titanic and just drop to the bottom. It has to be the hardest thing to do. IMO of course

MSilvia
10-11-2007, 12:13
Having just completed my OW certification the hardest task for me is bouancy. No matter what i do I just can not get it right, its either be a rocket and fly out of the water or the Titanic and just drop to the bottom. It has to be the hardest thing to do. IMO of course
It gets easier as you get closer to ideal weighting. Being overweighted intensifies the tendency to "see saw" in my experience. Also, remember it may take a few seconds for a buoyancy adjustment to take effect, so make small adjustments followed by a pause until you get the hang of judging how much gas makes how much difference.

Aric
10-11-2007, 14:42
for me the hardest thing was taking off our BC underwater (in the pool) and putting it back on. I cant equalize my ears when we do a snorkel so I grabbed the reg and put it in my mouth and then tried to equalize and it hurt pretty bad. Hopefully I wont have to do that again:smiley2:.

MSilvia
10-11-2007, 15:59
I cant equalize my ears when we do a snorkel so I grabbed the reg and put it in my mouth and then tried to equalize and it hurt pretty bad.
If it hurts, you may not be equalizing early enough or often enough. It shouldn't require much effort, and definately shouldn't be painful.

Aric
10-11-2007, 16:49
I cant equalize my ears when we do a snorkel so I grabbed the reg and put it in my mouth and then tried to equalize and it hurt pretty bad.
If it hurts, you may not be equalizing early enough or often enough. It shouldn't require much effort, and definately shouldn't be painful.

I can equalize while breathing on scuba, but when I do a descent while holding my breath snorkeling, no matter what I do, I cant equalize my ears. Thats the only time I have problems with my ears. After we took of the gear and went to the surface, I couldnt equalize my ears until I got the reg in my mouth and started breathing and thats when it hurt, after it equalized when I got ahold of the reg. The pain was gone a couple hours later. No problems when we were on the checkout dives until it came to snorkeling. Dont know why I cant equalize while snorkeling?

fog
10-12-2007, 10:54
Mask flood and removal was easy, equipment change not bad. Fin pivot on platform and hover in OW dive was the worst experience. diving in reasonably warm water, no hood, I have a small mole on my forehead, The actual skill was easy, but everytime I would get about half way through the timed skill, a bluegill would come along and bite the mole, hence I would shoo it away with my hands and the instructor would look at his watch and say "do over, without moving" finally got a pass on those skills when forehead was bleeding and everyone was laughing too hard to concentrate.

scubasavvy
10-12-2007, 11:10
The weight belt. My BC was too big so I couldn't get it properly configuration again after I had to don it underwater.

UCFKnightDiver
10-12-2007, 16:27
I hated taking the weight belt off and holding it in front of you, and then putting it back on I could never stay in control, and would almsot flop around at the bottom

mitsuguy
10-13-2007, 15:59

that my favorite way of getting into a bcd anyways.... screw this carrying it around on your back ordeal... if I rig it, toss it in the water, and do the rest there, it is soooo much easier... hell, if I had my chance, I'd jump in the water with wetsuit, boots, gloves and dive computer on, and put the rest on in the water...

dive boats typically frown on this behavior, so I only get to do it locally so far...

danielh03
10-13-2007, 16:46

that my favorite way of getting into a bcd anyways.... screw this carrying it around on your back ordeal... if I rig it, toss it in the water, and do the rest there, it is soooo much easier... hell, if I had my chance, I'd jump in the water with wetsuit, boots, gloves and dive computer on, and put the rest on in the water...

dive boats typically frown on this behavior, so I only get to do it locally so far...

I agree! I hate walking with all that stuff on. But were I dive, the access is limited so I dont like to take up time by doing that. I just hump it like the rest of them lol

russp
10-18-2007, 12:12
Putting my BC and tank back on at the surface was my biggest challenge, I had a tendancy to get twisted up with hoses or BC straps. Underwater I had no problem.

mitsuguy
10-18-2007, 12:44
Putting my BC and tank back on at the surface was my biggest challenge, I had a tendancy to get twisted up with hoses or BC straps. Underwater I had no problem.

I wish I knew how to describe this better, but I'll try...

first off, lay the bc in the water on its back, tank down, with the valve pointing you...

grab the shoulder straps 1/3 the way down from the neck...

here's where practice makes perfect...

in one fluid motion, (mask on), push down on the shoulder straps and dive underneath the bc as it is rotating towards you on the top... as you dive under, let go of the shoulder straps and slide your arms through the holes...

its sounds much more difficult than it is...

RoadRacer1978
10-18-2007, 12:57
So far the hardest thing I had to do was math problems on a slate at around 90'. During the deep dive of AOW I had to complete multiplication and division problems on a slate with the instructor was watching. This was to demonstrate possible narcosis problems. I was nervouse about it because I haven't had to do math in my head in a long time. I rely on the good old calculator and having to do this with someone watching over my shoulder made me nervous. LOL.

ohiofireman
10-18-2007, 14:13
So far the hardest thing I had to do was math problems on a slate at around 90'. During the deep dive of AOW I had to complete multiplication and division problems on a slate with the instructor was watching. This was to demonstrate possible narcosis problems. I was nervouse about it because I haven't had to do math in my head in a long time. I rely on the good old calculator and having to do this with someone watching over my shoulder made me nervous. LOL.

Ok this is really sad “Don’t Laugh”. lol Our instructor had us do tic tac toe at 100’ and I lost both games! Now in my defense I was having problems with my BC and my mask had a leak.

My biggest issue was taking the mask of and breathing with the regulator and those bubbles hitting my nose and face was very alien to me. I am a little nervous about what new challenges Rescue course will bring.

RoadRacer1978
10-18-2007, 14:22
Oh man, rescue course. I am excited and nervous about that one as well. I'll probably have a new post for this thread once that one is over.

jaldrich
10-18-2007, 15:18
Buoyancy was my biggest challenge. I could do the fin pivots and hovering excercises well enough once I relaxed, but descent was sometimes challenging to get started (took me awhile to become aware of just how much air I was hoarding in my lungs while still breathing), and swimming at a consistent depth during the navigation excercise was rough.

mulefeathers
10-18-2007, 15:33
During OW training removing/ full flood of the mask. Only because I just new my contacts would be gone. During training I used a rented bc that was not weight integrated so removing the bc and replacing was no problem. Between training and the check out dive I purchased a WI bc totally different on the check out dive.

russp
10-18-2007, 15:54

I wish I knew how to describe this better, but I'll try...

first off, lay the bc in the water on its back, tank down, with the valve pointing you...

grab the shoulder straps 1/3 the way down from the neck...

here's where practice makes perfect...

in one fluid motion, (mask on), push down on the shoulder straps and dive underneath the bc as it is rotating towards you on the top... as you dive under, let go of the shoulder straps and slide your arms through the holes...

its sounds much more difficult than it is...

I was shown this method and another where you kind of roll into it. It's that fluid motion thing that kind of gave me trouble but I could usually do it on the second try.

emcbride81
10-18-2007, 19:40
Treading water/Swimming the 300 meters or whatever PADI wanted...I was built for power not endurance...oh yeah, and putting on my BC on the surface while badly hungover...I graduated college the day before...

mm2002
10-20-2007, 19:55
Everything came very easy to me except buoyancy control. I'm still struggling with that, although I am improving.