PDA

View Full Version : Aeris USB cable

gtjason2000
10-03-2007, 08:38
My wife got me a pc downloader cable for my birthday but after downloading the drivers and software from aeris and hooking up my atmos 2 I get a time out error. Aeris website says this will happen if the cable is upsidedown or the terminals are corroded. I have made sure the cable is connected correctly, even tried it the other way. Does this mean my computers terminals are corroded or has anyone had trouble softwarewise. The aeris question submittal web page is having errors and haven't had time during the day with the computer around to call them yet.

JugglingMonkeys
10-03-2007, 08:52
It probably means the USB drivers are not installed properly. It's kind of quirky. Call their tech support and they're very good. They'll lead you through it.

thor
10-03-2007, 09:44
You can also go to the website and try downloading the most recent drivers and software

DarkCoffee
10-03-2007, 09:53
This happens (on my Atmos Elites) when I don't have the cable 'quite' correctly plugged into the DC. The connection can 'lever' slightly up/down which seems to effect the solidity of the connection.

I've also found that if the connection doesn't sync within 5-10 seconds of my activating the DC, I need to cancel the DC PC connection state and restart it.

texarkandy
10-03-2007, 11:14
The only problem I ever had with one of my ATMOS 2's is the computer completely locked up because I disconnected the cable and interrupted a download. I called Aeris technical support (very good freindly service, no wait time) - they advised remove the battery, leave it out 10 minutes, re-install and the computer will unlock/reset itself - it worked (my only concern was getting a good seal when I put the battery cover back on - it's kind of tricky)

No Misses
10-03-2007, 12:38
Step 1 - Insert USB cable into PC (do not connect DC at this time). Does your pc recognise the cable? You should hear a beep indicating new USB device attached. look in "Device Manager". Do you see an item labeled "2002 Design, Inc. USB Download Interface"? Plug and unplug the USB cable. You should see the device come and go from your device list. If you answered "No" to any of these questions, download and install the latest drivers from the Aeris support site.

Step 2 - Start the application and hit "+" for add new dives. Connect you DC to the USB cable (make sure it is connected to PC). Press both buttons on DC to put it into download mode. You should se a 120 second countdown timer. Hit the arrow button on the download application to start the download. You should see all segments of the DC display light up. This indicates that it is talking with the pc.

I do not intend any offense when I list all this information. I do not know at what step in the process your setup is not working. Good Luck.

texarkandy
10-04-2007, 06:08
....... Step 2 .......... Press both buttons on DC to put it into download mode. You should se a 120 second countdown timer. ............

Slight correction here - for the Atmos 2, you push both buttons simultaneously & it takes you to "Set 1" - then you must push the top button 4 times to get to PC mode & the countdown

(once again, don't disconnect the download cable at anytime after the download starts until it's complete or you may lock up the computer like I did once)

jwagner
10-04-2007, 07:15
I have 3 Atmos 2 dive computers, 2 wrist and one AI. The are all kind of tricky to get the cable to work just right. Keep working at it, the only advice I have is to make sure that you are careful how you set the sample rate. I changed mine right before I went to Cozumel. I did 19 dives in 6 days and was only able to retrieve the last two dives when I got back home, not enough memory I guess. I thought it was a cable problem, but it never timed out though. Make sure that you have the cable in the PC so when you start the program it can recognize it.

ScubaJ
10-04-2007, 08:41
If your still having problems after following the advice posted, I'd give them a call. I've called them twice, never had a wait, and got very good service.

Jwagner; I made the same mistake. I set the sample rate at 2sec. The tech said that the computer stores dive data in two tables. The log book will only keep time, depth, temp, etc. The other table keeps your actual bottom data, and that storage is limited. Set on 2 sec, you'll get about 90min of data. They suggested going to 15 or 30 sec sample rate. With those times you'll get something like 18-24hrs of data. Figure your going to dive for an 1:10hr or less on each dive, that'll be enough memory to fill up the 20 dive capacity.
Hope that helps.

J

jwagner
10-04-2007, 18:55
The worst part of my mistake was that were able to do the Devils Throat on that trip. I was looking forward to looking at the dive profile when I got back home when I downloaded the info. Needless to say, it didn't go as I'd planned. Oh well, now I will just have to do it again in Jan. (next trip to Cozumel).

ScubaJ
10-05-2007, 16:21
Same here. I didn't download our dives from Cozumel right when we got home. Instead, we did a couple local lake dives, then tried to download and realized the data limitations of the memory. Uggggg:smiley19: Oh well. Maybe we can get in another Cozumel trip during the X-mas break.

bperrybap
10-05-2007, 23:39
You can approximate the maximum amount of time
you can log before dive data lost with this equation:

Total_minutes_logtime = 66 * sample_rate_in_seconds

Example:
With a 15 second sample rate
Total_minutes_logtime = 66 * 15
Total_minutes_logtime = 990
Total log time is 990 minutes or 990/60 = 16.5 hours.

So with a 15 second sample rate, if you dive for
more than around 990 minutes or 16.5 hours you will lose
dive data even if you dive fewer than the 24 dive logbook memory limit.

A 2 second sample rate would be 132 minutes
And a 30 second sample rate would be 1980 minutes (33 hours)

Hope that helps.

--- bill

namabiru
10-06-2007, 00:38
Hmmm... what's the best way to clean the connectors on the computer if they're corroded? Just plain simple water?

Also, OP, if you're getting the time-out error, it *might* have something to do with your software. Uninstall and reinstall, then restart your PC often helps matters.

BUT, before you do any of this, restart your computer and try it again. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a computer will go south, but works fine when you restart. Restarting fixes lots of problems, yes?

bperrybap
10-06-2007, 02:24
To clean the contacts, I'd use a bit of white vinegar
and a toothbrush. Then rinse with fresh water.
(I've never had to do this in 2 years and 170
dives on my Atmos AI)

But what I have noticed (at least on the Atmos AI)
is that the download s/w will not sync
up properly with the dive computer when there is still
a bit of water around the buttons or in the crevices
on the bottom. Usually the dive computer will indicate
"H2O" mode.
I have also noticed cases where the s/w will sync up
but the dive data is really bogus. Bad dates, wrong
information.
In these cases, it was not the PC, ACI s/w, cabling problem, or connector
connection issue.

I have noticed that carefully rinsing the computer
in fresh water (I dip mine by holding onto the QD)
and then drying it off especially around the backlight
button, helps quite a bit. Make sure to press a towel
up to the buttons to draw out the water.
Sometimes I've even have to shake it a bit to expel some
of the remaining water.

--- bill