PDA

View Full Version : SB

texdiveguy
07-15-2007, 22:16
I think ScubaBoard is in trouble,,,slowly sinking. smileys/smiley5.gif

texdiveguy
07-15-2007, 22:50
Is it down again? I got tired of the yo-yo and decided I'm not going back for a week or so, no point in getting involved in a serious discussion anyway when it keeps getting interrupted.

T. I hear you....it seems you can log on but then can't interact any---strange deal.

frankc420
07-15-2007, 22:51
Ah everything will get back to normal and people will start going there again. They have a lot of archived information... And so many people know it's there that it would have to be down completely for a month before people wrote it off...

94GTStang
07-16-2007, 00:12
It was working for me...

But it took a long time for the post to load if at all. Not to mention it wouldn't show that I posted until I went back to the last post in the thread...

przeor
07-16-2007, 00:57
Between this and the Dive Matrix, it's not the only show out there any more. Personally, I enjoy this board- new enough that there aren't established groups who seem more dominant on threads, etc. And I like the chat function on TDM as well.

frankc420
07-16-2007, 08:43
Gotta admit, this forum came at a really good time! :)

jacewindu
07-16-2007, 09:01
now that we've got ST forum... who cares? haha

cummings66
07-16-2007, 10:59
I'd like to see SB back, but from what I saw last night it's lost about 2 months worth of postings. It's not looking good so far.

Liv7301
07-16-2007, 20:04
I have been out of town for several weeks and haven't even been on ScubaBoard, so I didn't even realize that they have been having so many problems. I would like to see SB come back to full strength again but then I can see myself spending a lot of time on here.

RECDiver
07-18-2007, 22:19
I didn't realize SB had been down so long. We were on Grand Cayman last week, so I did my best to stay away from anything computer oriented except my dive computer.

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 22:22
This place is all I know, I feel lucky. However a little competion
never hurts either. ST will forever be my first though, you never
forget your first!smileys/smiley9.gif

JahJahwarrior
07-18-2007, 23:03
I really would hate to see people on forums taking sides. However, it would not surprise me, so far only one shop has not bad mouthed the other shops to me while filling my tanks. And, one guy at that shop has, but I really don't like him anyways. He never smiles and always wears sunglasses, badmouths shops and asks why I don't ever get nitrox.

So you know what? I have accounts here, Scubaboard, Scubastop, Decostop, Cavediver.net (actually don't have an account there, just lurk all the time...).....one can never join enough forums! I would be very sad if any of these forums went down, because every forum has it's own flavor. And every forum has people that badmouth the other forums :(

medic001918
07-18-2007, 23:28
So far this is one of my favorite forums to visit. This one doesn't have the attitude that some of the other's tend to have, and the information seems to be just as good. I'd like to see more people sign up and start to use this one...you can often find good deals from other people if you're looking for certain items. And the more people that are on a forum, the more opinions you can obtain about products you're considering or having questions about.
<DIV></DIV>This is a great forum though...
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

the gooch
07-19-2007, 21:37
I have gotten pretty fed up with ScubaBoard. I was pretty excited when I found out ST started a forum.

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 21:43
It has been up the last couple of days when I check it but I am starting to like this board much better.SB has too many smart a$$ on it that just dilute the topics.

cyclical
07-19-2007, 22:07
I post more on this one, but browse for info on both.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>As mentioned above, each has it's own flavor. </DIV>

Judestudio
07-24-2007, 20:08
As a newbie I find it's kinda hard to ask questions there. While most of them are nice and knowledgeable, there are a few that attacksmileys/smiley13.gif I posted a thread once when I first research for a BC, and I wanted to get a Poseidon BeSea then, now looking back I know it's not the best choice, but it's not helping when you reply with sarcasms!

I agree there is a wealth of info there, but I've learned to ask tactically nowadays. It's much much better here at ST forum, for sure!

ScubaToys Larry
07-24-2007, 20:53
Hey guys... I appreciate the comments. It's really my goal to keep this a "nice" forum. If anyone sees anyone that is being rude, playing know it all with beginners, please report it so I can discuss our format with that poster.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I will tell you we got the new server in today, and it's being set up and we should be getting everything loaded this week... then we'll cross over to the new vBulletin and will have the photo package for sharing photos, improvedin and out box - better avatar setups, member information, categories, groups, polls, etc.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hopefully, we will not be down very long in the cross over - maybe a few hours, and unfortunately, it looks like everyone will have to go through a lost password routine, as the passwords are handled differently and don't transfer. It looks like we might have to reload the avatars as well, but hopefully you'll put up with that for the new features and flexibility we'll have.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Again, thanks for the nice comments, and let me know what I can do to ever make your time here better.</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-24-2007, 21:05
Larry,Thanks for the update and Heads-up on crossover.
<DIV></DIV>I am like alot of members here on ST...I am also on Scubaboard, Scubastop, Decostop,SpearBoardplus several regional Boards/Forums...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But I gotta say: </DIV>
<DIV>I am Luving it Here!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Congrats!</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-24-2007, 21:11
Thanks... Yes, we have 385 members already... and I think 384 of them are great! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

Rascal1933
07-24-2007, 21:12
Larry, Are we talking aboutJoe Again? http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley29.gif

ScubaToys Larry
07-24-2007, 21:38
Larry, Are we talking aboutJoe Again? http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley29.gif

Or maybe he's trying make us all paranoid? smileys/smiley2.gif

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean someone is not out to get you.</DIV>

Moxie
07-24-2007, 21:40
<DIV>

Thanks... Yes, we have 385 members already... and I think 384 of them are great! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

That's only because you haven't multiplied 380 x $60 yet. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>He might not think we're too great then!</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-24-2007, 21:42
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Anyone who isn't confused here doesn't really know what's going on.</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-24-2007, 21:42
Oh... and just so you guys know... We have a database of about 40,000 current customers with emails. To this point we have not sent out a message to them about this board. We wanted to start out slow here, but we plan after the migration to the new server and software, to blast out 40,000 emails - so I imagine we'll see a pretty big jump in new blood in here. I know I can depend on you folks to make them feel welcome!

JahJahwarrior
07-24-2007, 21:49
As soon as I get 250 posts, you'll have a database of 40,001 customers :)

The way I see it, I'll be getting $60 + 10% of entire purchase off.....(SB member)....now I just want to make sure, I can combine the two gift certificates and that the 10% is on the price beforeyou take out the $60 I get for being a smart-"beastofburden" on an internet forum :)

Moxie
07-24-2007, 21:50
Oh... and just so you guys know... We have a database of about 40,000 current customers with emails. To this point we have not sent out a message to them about this board. We wanted to start out slow here, but we plan after the migration to the new server and software, to blast out 40,000 emails - so I imagine we'll see a pretty big jump in new blood in here. I know I can depend on you folks to make them feel welcome!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Well apparently you've attracted quite a chatty crowd. I'm certain that we will do our best!</DIV>

deepdiver47
07-31-2007, 08:07
I'm beginning to think that you eat your own here! :)

Disneymom
07-31-2007, 08:15
I just wanted to also chime in about the friendliness of the folks on this board. I have lurked, read, and posted (a little) and wasn't met with hostility, but just that "this is the way you need to do it and the only way it's done, now go away because you're not really a diver" kind of attitude.
Over here I came in and immediately found a bunch of friendly, helpful, supportive people. Being a beginner I really appreciate that. Thanks! :)

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 08:48
As soon as I get 250 posts, you'll have a database of 40,001 customers :)

The way I see it, I'll be getting $60 + 10% of entire purchase off.....(SB member)....now I just want to make sure, I can combine the two gift certificates and that the 10% is on the price beforeyou take out the $60 I get for being a smart-"beastofburden" on an internet forum :)

I'm curious as to when the gift certificates will stop for new members? At 400 members, that's 24k big ones! I can't imagine how much money in certificates it would be to cover 40,000 members (extreme case anyways) OK, just for fun....It would be..........about 1/2 the ST inventory:(

ScubaToys Larry
07-31-2007, 09:10
I'm curious as to when the gift certificates will stop for new members? At 400 members, that's 24k big ones! I can't imagine how much money in certificates it would be to cover 40,000 members (extreme case anyways) OK, just for fun....It would be..........about 1/2 the ST inventory:(

Oh... we can always buy more stuff... the vendors still have some on their shelves. Besides... it's not that much money is it? :smiley36::smiley29:

tx.lakerat
07-31-2007, 09:11
I have to agree with a couple of you about this forum coming at the right time. I to use to be on SB alot but the group attacking didn't go well with me when someone was asking a true question they might not understand as they were new to diving.
I think Larry will be watching this pretty closely for awhile and hopefully that won't be the case with this board as well.

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 10:42
I think Larry will be watching this pretty closely for awhile and hopefully that won't be the case with this board as well.

I can picture Larry in his best Humphrey Bogart voice, "...Here's looking at you kid"

Black-Gorrilla
07-31-2007, 16:16
no matter how much money they give away... they will still be profiting... because you give someone 50 bux... and you have to spend it at their store right...
so they start browsing... and looking... and cliking "add to cart" and pretty son... 350 bux...500 bux... and the package comes in.. they are happy, and next time they need something "let me see what they have at ST" and go to buy one thing... end up spending another couple hundred bux.

i think this insentive of theirs is great.. i got mine.. spent it, and ordered another 50something bux on top... and thats cause im low on cash... if i had money, OH BOY... look out.
when i get a few more paychecks and put some more money in the "dive booty" i will be back on ST... spending more than i plan on anyway...
so everybody wins... we're happy.. they're happy...

TxHockeyGuy
08-04-2007, 09:45
Anyone notice that ScubaBoard is down, again. Not sure what is going on, and I realize that's a huge site, but it can't be that hard to keep a site up.

WaterRat
08-04-2007, 10:28
Anyone notice that ScubaBoard is down, again. Not sure what is going on, and I realize that's a huge site, but it can't be that hard to keep a site up.

I haven't been out there in a while. Never posted much there. This place is more fun.

Ron

plot
08-04-2007, 10:33
Lack of admins that care about it I guess.

Wolfie2012
08-04-2007, 10:46
I'd really like that we didn't get into a scubaboard-bashing trend either. Sure they have had their problems and I could do without some of the 'style' posts I've seen over there, but Netdoc and them really do care and I'm sure they're doing everything they can to get it running consistently again.

That being said since this board has opened up, I admit I've spent all of my scuba-related forum time here. However, let's focus on the good that this board is doing rather than the bad of anywhere else. It'll help this board gain even more respect from the community.

ScubaToys Larry
08-04-2007, 10:52
I appreciate that attitude Wolfie... I always tell stores that bashing other shops or other products is counter productive. I have no problem with the crew that runs SB. Heck, I still buy ads there!

I must admit though, I really like the community we are building here. We've had a few posts border on ones that I had to think on whether or not I would censor and delete them... but I'm trying not to influence things too much if everyone tries to be nice, and be constructive.

Besides, it was too hard to add DIR and BP/W to the swear filter... :smilie39:

creggur
08-04-2007, 11:29
There are some great people over on SB, I just tried to log in to search something, but it won't let me into any of the threads in the forums..oh well...

SB's got to last until Feb. anyway, My wife and I have already booked the SB/ST cruise...

thesmoothdome
08-04-2007, 11:39
Confucius said and I'm paraphrasing "When confronted by a bad man, look inside yourself and see how you can make yourself better."

94GTStang
08-04-2007, 13:36
SB seems to be working fine for me. Guess it was just temporary

94GTStang
08-04-2007, 13:41
Never mind... It won't let me get into the forums, just the main page :(

DirtyWaterIL
08-04-2007, 13:43
doesn't matter to me. I stopped going to SB when every other post was taken over by the DIR nazis.

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 15:18
doesn't matter to me. I stopped going to SB when every other post was taken over by the DIR nazis.
That is too bad. By and large, most of the people on that board are nice folks. But there are many Zealots who won't discuss and do ambush newer divers.
I always found it funny, that in the DIR forum you had to restrict your comments to DIR phylosophy and DIR answers with no confrontation or you could be banned or suspended. Meanwhile, jerks would flame and bully new divers asking for advise about his (you pick it)
This was by no means typical of most of the DIR divers there.
I am disappointed that Doc and the Mods allowed a lot of it to go on while protecting the sterile environment of the DIR forum.
In any event, my point was gonna be, don't judge the entire Board by a rude and vocal minority. And don't dwell on it. Focus on the very positive environment here.

94GTStang
08-04-2007, 16:02
I haven't had any bad experiences on SB... yet... but then again I just post in the trip threads :D