PDA

View Full Version : Keep getting signed out of the Forums

peteg
10-03-2007, 11:41
I am having this problem on both my work PC and my Mac at home...I keep getting signed out of the forum everytime I nav to another page. It started about 5 days ago. I suspect this is a cookie issue? I use Firefox, and tried deleting my cookies which worked temporarily but I am still have the issue. I'll live :smiley2:, but I thought I should mention it.

Vercingetorix
10-03-2007, 12:02
This is a cookie issue. The server scripting language, PHP, has no way to tell your browser to log you out of the forum. PHP can maintain "sessions", which maintain your connect status. If the session variable is destroyed, then you wil have to log-in again. However, that problem has occurred with no other members. Thus, localized to you. Hence, suspect a FireFox cookie issue.

Since I stopped using FireFox, I'm afraid I can offer no other solutions.

Divingguy
10-03-2007, 12:48
It happened to me too, and I am NOT using Firefox. I had to log back in the other day. I figured it was due to the server swap. Happened on both my laptop and desktop, but then has not happened again since.
Tom

El Orans
12-03-2007, 14:00
Usually, this is caused by bad cookies. Just delete all cookies, works for IE, Firefox and Opera.

ReefHound
12-03-2007, 14:07
I have a persistent problem with the Scubatoys forum. Whenever I reboot the computer or even close down the browser app, I am logged out and must sign in.

This does NOT happen with Scubaboard, Decostop, CHUM, or other vbulletin sites so I think it is a host configuration setting rather than "simply how it works".

This happens with Firefox and IE, on every computer I've tried (at least 3) so it's not likely a "cookie" issue.

RoadRacer1978
12-03-2007, 14:20
Once I log in, I stay logged in. I can close the browser and reopen it a day later and I am still logged in. The only time I am logged out and have to relog in is after norton does a sweep and cleans things up. I believe it deletes the cookies and I have to relog in then. OTher than that I have never been booted out or had to relog in, ever. Not on my desktop or laptop. I use IE 7.

ReefHound
12-03-2007, 14:41
I just tried it here at work and it kept me logged in. So maybe I was wrong. Admins, don't waste any time on this until I look into it further.

Grin
12-04-2007, 08:19
I get logged out somehow also. If I leave, and return to the site am relogged in due to the cookies. The site times out somehow, as when making a post, it will direct me to logout and log back in. Only if I've been on here for a long time(like maybe over a hour). Even though the indication is I am already logged in. If you didn't try to post you would never know it. It must be a timer of a hour or something. Since I posted about this issue, awhile back, someone told me to use CNTRL C to copy my post to the clipboard so I don't loose everything I typed, when the site tells me I am not logged in. Now: I do that(cntrl C), leave the site, return to the site, log in if I need to, and then post what I typed by going back where I was and pasting what I copied in. No other sites do this to me. I use Explorer 7. Not sure what the deal is, but I have found the work around, so I'll live!